African American Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sephoras, I go to some black hair care stores, some general beauty hair care stores, and sometimes, just plain ole' Walmart, lol.
smile.gif
I have bi-racial thick, tight-to-medium coiled curls. When I first started taking care of my own hair, I had such a hard time straightening it all the time, that I decided I would try to style my hair naturally instead. At that time, it hd been years since my mother had done my hair that way, so it had suffered LOTS of heat damage. After I got married, I got even more determined to find the best products and techniques for taking care of my hair. It's an ever changing process, but here's what I've found to work for me so far:

Aveda Sap Moss Nourishing Concentrate-- I use this before shampooing sometimes and it enhances all my little curls, plus allows them to have extra slip, so there virtually no breakage when I use this!

Pantene Pro-V Treatment Intensive Curl Hydrating Mask-- Also a very good hair treatment. Very humectant. Sometimes I use this overnight, but it is very hard to find.
frown.gif

The Body Shop Brazil Nut Moisture Mask- The BEST treatment I have ever used! Restored my hair to it's original beauty from when I was a kid! I use this overnight, and it smells terrific! Well worth every dollar!

J.R. Watkins Apothecary Hand & Cuticle Salve-- This I actually use on my scalp and it does a great job of moisturizing it wthout the use of petroleum or its by-products (so it moisturizes and lets my calp breathe; very important!) hen my hair is straightened (flat ironed). Various scents, all smell great!

Aveda Shampure Conditioner -- not the most detangling, but full of good-for-you ingredients, plus, has a nice tingling sensation when you come through it in the shower, and for all it's worth, actually relaxes you even if you have major tangles!
smile.gif

John Frieda brilliant brunette Light Reflecting Moisturizing Conditioner-- I had very little faith in this when I first tried it, but it is actually one of my favorites! No problems detangling when I use this, plus, my hair actually looks its beautiful brown instead of just "dark" when I use it! One of the *most* moisturizing conditioners I've used (yet to be beat!). Nice smell too
smile.gif

I know you haven't asked about shampoos, but the subject has come up. While shampooing *all* the time is probably not a great idea, using one that does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate or if it does have it, also contains cocamidapropyl betaine to temper it, once a week or twice a week (I usually do twicea week when my hair is curly, more arbitrary when it's straight haha.), won't hurt it, either. Conditioning like your hair is a princess is key, this is what got my hair back to it's current state. Granted, it is always very thirsty, but never damaged. In fact, it is so thick and strong, when I've had tangles, my hair will break the comb (it's true, I just broke one yesterday, lol!), before it will snap!

My hair is just below my ears when curly, and straightens out to just a little below my shoulders when straight (note how tight the curl pattern must be), so I think this is a great accomplishment for me, because I shaved my whole head when I had mono in January/February of last year!

Well, I HTH
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif What stores do you go to? I go to my local health food grocery store. This is where I pick up all the edibles I put on my hair, and sometimes henna, indigo, and cassia...if it's in season.
My conditioner, I go to Sally's for. I only use one brand, Ion, and it's cone-free.

I like to keep my regimen relatively simple as possible.

i have a pretty simple regimen:

i use castor oil or coconut oil the night before i wash.

put saran wrap on my hair and go to sleep.

the next day i use a moisturising conditioner and deep condition my hair with a moisturising deep conditioner ( i use from | New Items Added!)

then i towel dry, moisturise and put it in a bun.

i think they changed the formula for my pantene for women of color!
pedro.gif
it used to be thick and creamy. the new bottles have been watered down and my hair doesn't seem to be responding to it like it has in the past. that's what i get for buying reserves! when you need to restock there's no telling what they may have done to the formula!

i did pick up some clairol herbal essences with rose hips. my hair responded very well and is very managable without being weighed down, which i love. it also seems to control frizzies very well. the problem is that i think it may be a discontinued product! i couldn't find it on the website at all! bummer! i think i'm going to every store i can think of and buy all that i can find! this really sucks! first my moisturizer and now my conditioner. i have half a mind to try and develop my own products if this keeps happening!

Originally Posted by emih19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif i have a pretty simple regimen:i use castor oil or coconut oil the night before i wash.

put saran wrap on my hair and go to sleep.

the next day i use a moisturising conditioner and deep condition my hair with a moisturising deep conditioner ( i use from | New Items Added!)

then i towel dry, moisturise and put it in a bun.

the products look very interesting! which ones are you using currently?

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif What stores do you go to? i have to do beauty supply stores, drug stores and the web to find all my goodies, although i've paired my regime way down lately. my favs are:
general beauty supply.com - dark & lovely chamomile moisturizer

riteaid or cvs - queen helene cholestorol conditioner, herbal essense conditioner, john frieda silicone gel and secret weapon

c&j beauty supply (in the hood!) - dark & lovely peppermint shampoo and texturizer.

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Has anyone heard of Alpha 5 in 1 shampoo? i tried to do a search to find out some info. i couldn't find a thing.

^ I'm sorry, I'm no help either. I have never heard or read of it anywhere.

Its something my old hairdresser used.

If you find a shampoo and conditioner that work good for you is it okay to use it for a long time?

To answer your question, I have found that when a shampoo or conditioner seems to be losing its effectiveness, it's probably time to clarify my hair. A great recipe that I do at least once a month (from Motowngirl.com) is to take 1 TBSP baking soda and dissolve it in 2 cups of warm water. Mix it up, pour over your already wet hair, massage your scalp with the pads of your fingers for about a minute or two, then rinse. I swear you can feel the sludge come off your hair LOL. Don't use any more than that, as baking soda is alkaline and excessive amounts will make your hair brittle & dry.

After rinsing, do your normal shampoo and/or conditioning routine. If you want to make sure that your hair's acidic pH is returned and add a little moisture, you can do a rinse with 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar and a drizzle of honey in 2-3 cups of cool water.

Hope this helps......

Your hair or scalp is dry and flaky?

If you hair is dry then you should clarify with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build up and scrub your scalp with your finger tips (not nails) then deep conditioner with a moisturizing deep conditioner to add moisture to your hair. Follow up with a moisturizer everyday until your hair condition improves then adjust to how often your hair needs it.

If you scalp is dry and flaky do what i mentioned before. Apply tea tree oil to your scalp everyday until your condition improves. Take fish oil or any oil tablets rich in EFAs (essential fatty acids) everyday as recommended until your condition improves.

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Its something my old hairdresser used.If you find a shampoo and conditioner that work good for you is it okay to use it for a long time?

as long as it's giving you the desired result i don't see a reason to change. jmho~ i swear by my queen helene and have since i was in my teens!

I heard from professionals that hair shed a least 50 to 100 hairs a day.

If you don't see this when you comb your hair is it possible that it comes out when you wash it?

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I heard from professionals that hair shed a least 50 to 100 hairs a day.If you don't see this when you comb your hair is it possible that it comes out when you wash it?

i wondered the same thing myself! miss nox has got me counting the hairs i loose everyday and i never even come close to that many!

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I heard from professionals that hair shed a least 50 to 100 hairs a day.If you don't see this when you comb your hair is it possible that it comes out when you wash it?

No way man!!! I shed 30 a heavy day, and as little as 5 on a slow day. I'm sure those that who over-manipulate their hair might lose close to that amount everyday, but I feel that is still an awful lot.
Let's do a little math Nox-style:

If the average person has 100,000 hairs, and they shed 100 hairs a day, it would take a little less than three years to completely replace every hair on the head. (Yikes!)

If the average growth rate is half an inch per month (or six inches a year), then the longest length the average person would achieve is only 18 inches. (Seems a little too short to me.)

Could some of that actually be broken hair that they are counting as "shed"?

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i wondered the same thing myself! miss nox has got me counting the hairs i loose everyday and i never even come close to that many! I'm telling you, it is addictive to do it. It's like I've got OCD. But I take this whole hair business seriously. It's like my little personal secret mission that my family doesn't know about - to find out just how long it will grow. My sisters rarely see it down, and my parents haven't seen it down since 2002 (they find very long hair to be unkempt and disgusting)... but the buns sure do get bigger, LOL!

Cross post:

Deep condition, deep condition, deep condition!

Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner and Elasta QP DPR-11 are both miracle workers for dry brittle hair. If breakage is a problem, do a protein treatment. For minor breakage Ultra-Sheen Duo Tex works great. For major breakage, you should do an Aphogee Treatment.

Oh, and you might want to try a chelating shampoo to remove calcium and mineral deposits if you live in a hard water area. HTH

ETA: I have reviewed all of the products I mentioned except the Aphogee treatment.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm telling you, it is addictive to do it. It's like I've got OCD. But I take this whole hair business seriously. It's like my little personal secret mission that my family doesn't know about - to find out just how long it will grow. My sisters rarely see it down, and my parents haven't seen it down since 2002 (they find very long hair to be unkempt and disgusting)... but the buns sure do get bigger, LOL! i know! i do this every single day, all day. i actually never loose more than 10 to 15 per day, so i'm pretty happy because there was a time i thought i was going bald! i guess the no heat, no curlers, no combing (only in the shower) and no brushing thing is working! oh, let's not forget no poo!

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif No way man!!! I shed 30 a heavy day, and as little as 5 on a slow day. I'm sure those that who over-manipulate their hair might lose close to that amount everyday, but I feel that is still an awful lot.
Let's do a little math Nox-style:

If the average person has 100,000 hairs, and they shed 100 hairs a day, it would take a little less than three years to completely replace every hair on the head. (Yikes!)

If the average growth rate is half an inch per month (or six inches a year), then the longest length the average person would achieve is only 18 inches. (Seems a little too short to me.)

Could some of that actually be broken hair that they are counting as "shed"?

I'm telling you, it is addictive to do it. It's like I've got OCD. But I take this whole hair business seriously. It's like my little personal secret mission that my family doesn't know about - to find out just how long it will grow. My sisters rarely see it down, and my parents haven't seen it down since 2002 (they find very long hair to be unkempt and disgusting)... but the buns sure do get bigger, LOL!

The hair that sheds make way for new hair growing in.

Back