African American Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i went to sephora yesterday looking for a good leave-in conditioner. i settled on the ojon line and bought the hydrating and leave in conditioners. i've only used them once, but i'm not really impressed with these products. the hydrating conditioner didn't detangle sh*t and the my hair didn't respond at all to the leave in! crap! i should have just stuck to my pantene (better the devil you know!). i'm going to give it a few more chances before i trash it altogether, but it ain't looking good! i'll keep you posted.

^ I'm sorry the product isn't working out for you, Monnie. It really is all about trial and error. But one thing I keep hearing good things about is "Carol's Daughter" products. Especially the Hair Milk, and the shea butter Hair Balm.

Originally Posted by bebedee03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I avoided petroleum, mineral oil and silicone-based products like the plague. I experimented with Suave & VO5 conditioner washes, honey, olive & coconut oils, baking soda clarifying rinses and all-natural superfatted shampoo bars.

I'm thinking I need a clarifying rinse soon. I'm really starting to have trouble rinsing my hair free from conditioner. I don't want to use a regular detergent shampoo though (I avoid sulfates). I've done the ACV clarifying rinse before, but please, tell me how you prepare the baking soda rinse? What about the very high pH... does it ravage the hair? How does it come out?
Also, for my sisters who still use shampoo, I would like to get them some of that "superfatted" shampoo bar. What brand is it, and where can I buy it?

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^ I'm sorry the product isn't working out for you, Monnie. It really is all about trial and error. But one thing I keep hearing good things about is "Carol's Daughter" products. Especially the Hair Milk, and the shea butter Hair Balm. i have the hair milk from carol's daughter. i've only used it once because my hair was so dry and brittle after i used it (i allowed my hair to air dry). it's like my hair drank it up and couldn't get enough! i don't use oil on my hair and haven't for quite some time because the last time i did my face broke out. you are so right about this trial and error thing. that's why i think i'm going to try the ojon a few more times. i washed my hair this morning so maybe that has something to do with it. maybe day two will be better.

Originally Posted by monniej; i have the hair milk from carol's daughter. i've only used it once because my hair was so dry and brittle after i used it (i allowed my hair to air dry). it's like my hair drank it up and couldn't get enough! i don't use oil on my hair and haven't for quite some time because the last time i did my face broke out. you are so right about this trial and error thing. that's why i think i'm going to try the ojon a few more times. i washed my hair this morning so maybe that has something to do with it. maybe day two will be better. Have you tried Qhemet Biologics? Alot of the naturals on the hair boards rave about her stuff.

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i have the hair milk from carol's daughter. i've only used it once because my hair was so dry and brittle after i used it (i allowed my hair to air dry). it's like my hair drank it up and couldn't get enough! i don't use oil on my hair and haven't for quite some time because the last time i did my face broke out. you are so right about this trial and error thing. that's why i think i'm going to try the ojon a few more times. i washed my hair this morning so maybe that has something to do with it. maybe day two will be better. ^ Do you think perhaps it might be because of the alcohol content... I mean, the woman is hardcore intent on using vodka in everything.

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Have you tried Qhemet Biologics? Alot of the naturals on the hair boards rave about her stuff. i never heard of it but i'm definitely going to check it out. are there any products they recommend in particular?

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^ Do you think perhaps it might be because of the alcohol content... I mean, the woman is hardcore intent on using vodka in everything. that may just be the problem. don't get me wrong, i love vodka! just not on my hair! lol~ my hair didn't retain any moisture at all after it dried. my hair is pretty thin so anything that leaves it dry is the enemy! i still haven't found anything that works as well as the dark and lovely naturally chamomile moisturizer for my hair, but it's getting harder and harder to find.

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i never heard of it but i'm definitely going to check it out. are there any products they recommend in particular? The Amla and Olive Heavy Cream and Karkady Tea Replenishing Mist are rather popular. Keep in mind I am relaxed and poor, so I never tried these.
laughing.gif
I'm just passing on what I have heard from the naturals.
ETA: :: Qhemet Biologics, Inc. ::

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif The Amla and Olive Heavy Cream and Karkady Tea Replenishing Mist are rather popular. Keep in mind I am relaxed and poor, so I never tried these.
laughing.gif
I'm just passing on what I have heard from the naturals.
ETA: :: Qhemet Biologics, Inc. ::

thanks for the link! that olive cream conditioner and detangler looks pretty interesting! this definitely gets added to the wish list!

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Does anybody like the line by Pantene Pro V for women of color? I love the Breakage Defense Poo, Con and Masque. I haven't tried any of the other stuff.

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Does anybody like the line by Pantene Pro V for women of color? i use the conditioner every other day. it does a great job of detangling my hair. i haven't found another conditioner that works as well for me. i did try a tube of the anti breakage conditioner and didn't see much of a difference so i didn't repurchase. i really didn't care for the shampoo too much. i still have the whole bottle left!

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif I love the Breakage Defense Poo, Con and Masque. I haven't tried any of the other stuff. i've never seen the masque! is it one that works with heat?

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i've never seen the masque! is it one that works with heat?
11R3GT05F2L.jpg

You can use it with or without heat, it's great both ways!

I didn't really care fore the conditioner I tried in that line. I thought it was very oily and didn't detangle my hair at all; but my hair is natural, bi-racial, and very thick.

I still reach for Creme of Nature orginal formula and I have dreadlocks. The trick for me now is to dilute and not use full strenghth. Another idea is a leave in conditioner spray. That works for me, especially in the winter when it is dry anyway. A couple of sprays each morning and brush it through may help

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11R3GT05F2L.jpg
You can use it with or without heat, it's great both ways!

this is definitely going on the wish list! thanks for the rec!

Originally Posted by ncwclark /img/forum/go_quote.gif I still reach for Creme of Nature orginal formula and I have dreadlocks. The trick for me now is to dilute and not use full strenghth. Another idea is a leave in conditioner spray. That works for me, especially in the winter when it is dry anyway. A couple of sprays each morning and brush it through may help i used their perm years ago and it left my hair feeling like straw, so since then i've always avoided this line. now that i wear my hair differently maybe i'll explore them again. what is the product that your using from the creme of nature line?

Originally Posted by utmostrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif I didn't really care fore the conditioner I tried in that line. I thought it was very oily and didn't detangle my hair at all ^ This was my experience too.

Just the shampoo. I never tried their other stuff. I use the shampoo in the orginal formula. I tried the extra moisturing/ dry hair or whatever it was with the blue label and it wasn't as good. Another goodie for dry hair is Aussies 3 minute miracle.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Grace, wanting long hair is a very common feminine desire. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think all women should be allowed to achieve great lengths if they so choose. I am so glad you are able to see positive results on your hair with the nightly shea butter. I do not mind if someone like yourself asks for information or even photos, because I trust that you are genuine in your motive.
It's people that send explicit messages asking you to cut off a lock of hair and mail it to them that I have a problem with. I have gotten solicitations for private photos of my unbound hair in exchange for money... I consider that quite excessive and I would call it a hair fetish.

OMG, I knew some of those chicks on the hair care forum were crazy. There's wanting long hair and then being obsessed. I use my friends account to lurk and read the gossip but some of the things people say are disturbing. I can't believe that though!!!

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^ I'm sorry the product isn't working out for you, Monnie. It really is all about trial and error. But one thing I keep hearing good things about is "Carol's Daughter" products. Especially the Hair Milk, and the shea butter Hair Balm.

I'm thinking I need a clarifying rinse soon. I'm really starting to have trouble rinsing my hair free from conditioner. I don't want to use a regular detergent shampoo though (I avoid sulfates). I've done the ACV clarifying rinse before, but please, tell me how you prepare the baking soda rinse? What about the very high pH... does it ravage the hair? How does it come out?

Also, for my sisters who still use shampoo, I would like to get them some of that "superfatted" shampoo bar. What brand is it, and where can I buy it?

Sorry for the delay!!!
I use 1 TBSP of baking soda in 2 cups warm water. Stir to dissolve, then pour all over my already soaking-wet hair. I make sure it's been evenly distributed through my hair, then I massage my scalp with the pads of my fingers for a minute or two. Rinse, shampoo, condition as normal. To bring your hair's pH back, you can add 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar to 2-4 cups warm water as a final rinse to seal the cuticle, but I've only done this a couple of times. The trick is to not overuse the baking soda. Some folks add baking soda to their conditioner as they conditioner-wash, but I think there's a chance of using too much that way, so I prefer to do the pre-shampoo rinse.

As for shampoo bars, there are several to choose from, but I have only tried and LOVE Chagrin Valley Soap & Craft shampoo and soap bars (Chagrin Valley All Natural Handmade Soap). Ida's bars are the TRUTH!!!! My eczema has disappeared, my skin is supple and healthy and my hair and scalp get clean without stripping. I love the Rosemary Mint, Nettle and Extra Honey Beer & Egg shampoo bars, but you can use her regular soaps since they're superfatted also. Oyin Handmade and Qhemet Biologics also have poo bars, but I haven't tried theirs yet.

well the ojon just served to make my hair quite oily. it attracted so much dirt that i could actually see it in my hair! not cool at all! maybe as a deep conditioner occasionally, but definitely not an everyday product for me. next on my list was burt's bee grapefruit and sugarbeet conditioner. smelled amazing but didn't detangle worth crap. absolutely no slip at all with this product so i had to add my pro-v to work it through. i think i'll keep using it though, because my hair smells good enough to eat! lmao~

it's been really interesting to try new stuff now, because sister's roots are getting just a bit puffy, if you know what i mean! lmao~ i'm not going to texturize until february unless i get too much shedding, so what works well now will probably end up being on my hg list! the thing that's tripping me out the most is that the drug store products are doing a much better job than the high end stuff! anyone else having the same experience?

Back