African American Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by carnivalbaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your hair or scalp is dry and flaky?
If you hair is dry then you should clarify with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build up and scrub your scalp with your finger tips (not nails) then deep conditioner with a moisturizing deep conditioner to add moisture to your hair. Follow up with a moisturizer everyday until your hair condition improves then adjust to how often your hair needs it.

If you scalp is dry and flaky do what i mentioned before. Apply tea tree oil to your scalp everyday until your condition improves. Take fish oil or any oil tablets rich in EFAs (essential fatty acids) everyday as recommended until your condition improves.

WOOOOT!!!

A next trini!!!!! YAY!!!

i'd love to try a shampoo bar, but my hair is doing so well with the no poo method that i wonder if i should. it's something to keep in mind, in any case. do you have a link bebedee?quote]

Chagrin Valley All Natural Handmade Soap
rockwoot.gif

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i'd love to try a shampoo bar, but my hair is doing so well with the no poo method that i wonder if i should. it's something to keep in mind, in any case. do you have a link bebedee?quote]

Chagrin Valley All Natural Handmade Soap
rockwoot.gif

wow! thanks bebedee! i could go broke on that site! i found 7 different soaps i want to try immediately!

Hey all!

I just wanted to share my good news with you all....I'm finally 100% natural!!! After about 19 months of transitioning (
5.gif
), I finally cut off my relaxed ends! I'm so happy with the results and can't wait to go through my growth journey with my natural curls!

DSCF0382-vi.jpg

awesome awesome thread

anywhoo..

I have natural hair as well. Have been natural since mama put a perm in my hair at the age of 7. Worst decision ever. My hair broke off terribly from the 2 perms I got, and I never went back. I stopped straigthening (hot comb/flat iron/hot curlers, etc) my hair when I was in HS, years ago. My hair is thicker, longer and healthier than ever. I will straighten my hair EVERY now and then probably about 1-2 times a year. But It's not me, I feel very wierd when my hair is straight. So I know natural is the way to be (for me) I'm cnsidering Locks too...

One thign I swear by is carmel treatments for your hair. I think it originatied in the Philly area. I love love love it.

Originally Posted by alicia8406 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey all!I just wanted to share my good news with you all....I'm finally 100% natural!!! After about 19 months of transitioning (
5.gif
), I finally cut off my relaxed ends! I'm so happy with the results and can't wait to go through my growth journey with my natural curls!

http://images18.fotki.com/v342/free/...jpg?1205355282

Is there a picture in this post? If so I can't see it. If not.....
icon12.gif

Originally Posted by alicia8406 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey all!I just wanted to share my good news with you all....I'm finally 100% natural!!! After about 19 months of transitioning (
5.gif

http://images18.fotki.com/v342/free/...jpg?1205355282

Congrats welcome to the club!
yess.gif

Originally Posted by LipglossQueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Congrats on being natural hair, your hair looks fabulous! Thank you!
Originally Posted by MsStephanie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Congrats welcome to the club!
yess.gif
Thanks, I am really loving it!

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is there a picture in this post? If so I can't see it. If not.....https://forum.makeuptalk.com/ima...ons/icon12.gif Yep, there was, but I don't know what happened??? But here it is:
natural.jpg

Your curls are totally gorgeous! How did you transition for 19 months? Did you do braids or extensions or anything to help minimize breakage?

Shoooo, I just finished a 4 month stretch and it was hella hard for me to manage 2 textures for just that long. LOL

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Your curls are totally gorgeous! How did you transition for 19 months? Did you do braids or extensions or anything to help minimize breakage?
Shoooo, I just finished a 4 month stretch and it was hella hard for me to manage 2 textures for just that long. LOL

Thank you! And the transition was quite an experience; I lived in braid-outs for most of the time, which was nice to hide the different curl patterns. Relaxers never really "took" in my head anyway, so the difference wasn't that severe. I also flat-ironed no more than once a month to get the strands uniform and to achieve the straight look that I wasn't ready to let go of yet. Breakage wasn't that bad, it was the bad dye job(s) that I'd done to myself that really took their toll. The relaxed/colored ends were so fried and dry where I couldn't hide them anymore, which was the ultimate decision-maker for me ending the transition.
rockwoot.gif

Originally Posted by alicia8406 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thank you!

Thanks, I am really loving it!

Yep, there was, but I don't know what happened??? But here it is:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/editor_fil...06/natural.jpg

gorgeous alicia! makes me wonder why you would ever straighten it! what a perfect way to go into summer! congrats and keep us posted on what you're using!

Originally Posted by Nubia /img/forum/go_quote.gif awesome awesome thread
anywhoo..

I have natural hair as well. Have been natural since mama put a perm in my hair at the age of 7. Worst decision ever. My hair broke off terribly from the 2 perms I got, and I never went back. I stopped straigthening (hot comb/flat iron/hot curlers, etc) my hair when I was in HS, years ago. My hair is thicker, longer and healthier than ever. I will straighten my hair EVERY now and then probably about 1-2 times a year. But It's not me, I feel very wierd when my hair is straight. So I know natural is the way to be (for me) I'm cnsidering Locks too...

One thign I swear by is carmel treatments for your hair. I think it originatied in the Philly area. I love love love it.

nubia, tell us more about the carmel treatments. i've never heard of it before. sounds very interesting.

Originally Posted by Nubia /img/forum/go_quote.gif awesome awesome thread
anywhoo..

Carmel treatment?
whistling.gif

Please share the carmel treatment, I've never heard of it.

Alicia, your hair is beautiful. I've always wanted my hair to look like that.

Originally Posted by alicia8406 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thank you! And the transition was quite an experience; I lived in braid-outs for most of the time, which was nice to hide the different curl patterns. Relaxers never really "took" in my head anyway, so the difference wasn't that severe. I also flat-ironed no more than once a month to get the strands uniform and to achieve the straight look that I wasn't ready to let go of yet. Breakage wasn't that bad, it was the bad dye job(s) that I'd done to myself that really took their toll. The relaxed/colored ends were so fried and dry where I couldn't hide them anymore, which was the ultimate decision-maker for me ending the transition.
rockwoot.gif
this is what i seem to be going through right now. my ends are awful! frizzy and won't retain moisture at all. i did clip them this weekend, but i don't think it was enough. i'm thinking about flat ironing it so that i can get a really good trim.

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif you guys might also want to check out long hair care forum. it has so so so much info and inspirational pictures of WoC who actually have waist length hair. Long haircare forum is amazing. I am on it. I have hair that's on its way to midback because of some of the stuff I learned there.
For shampo I use Aubrey Organics which you can get a wholefoods. For conditioner I use an avocado conditioner from Shescentit.com (I think that's the website), after I finish dc'ing, I rinse, and then take a quarter size amount of avocado conditioner and smooth it through. I then put in a little qhemet biologics, seal with coconut oil, and put in Sabino moisture block. I use my denman brush to smooth it in, and that brush rocks on natural hair. I'm below bra strap level, closing in on midback, and I'm an allnatural 4a. It's the only brush I let touch my hair. After I finish, I either let it air dry in twists or flat iron. The sabino really helps to protect from heat and add some shine. and my Avocado conditioner is my favorite for serious moisture!

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif My hair is so dry and flaky sometimes and I wanted someones opinion on
What do you think is the best shampoo for flaky and dry hair?

Best Conditioner?

Best Hairdressing?

scared.gif

pure coconut oil is good for shine and moisture.

Originally Posted by newtestam /img/forum/go_quote.gif Long haircare forum is amazing. I am on it. I have hair that's on its way to midback because of some of the stuff I learned there.
For shampo I use Aubrey Organics which you can get a wholefoods. For conditioner I use an avocado conditioner from Shescentit.com (I think that's the website), after I finish dc'ing, I rinse, and then take a quarter size amount of avocado conditioner and smooth it through. I then put in a little qhemet biologics, seal with coconut oil, and put in Sabino moisture block. I use my denman brush to smooth it in, and that brush rocks on natural hair. I'm below bra strap level, closing in on midback, and I'm an allnatural 4a. It's the only brush I let touch my hair. After I finish, I either let it air dry in twists or flat iron. The sabino really helps to protect from heat and add some shine. and my Avocado conditioner is my favorite for serious moisture!

pure coconut oil is good for shine and moisture.

i went to the site shescentit.com and it was great. i'm definitely open to checking out some of the products offered. even though my hair is still growing well, i feel like it needs something to help with the strength and shine. maybe this will be just what i need! thanks for the rec!

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hellur, if you can hear me, just nod ya heads. i hear you doll!
rocknroll2.gif

i noticed that my last post to this thread was in may. since then i have found a product for shine. organic root stimulator olive oil polisher and my ouidad moisturizer. my hair is shiney and strong and growing like crazy!

well, friday is august 1st and i still haven't texturized. the last time was maybe april? i think i just might be over the hump. i don't know whether it's because it's longer now so i have more weight to it or the products i'm using, but i don't feel like i need a texturizer this time around! i'm super happy about that! no breakage, no shedding and it's super soft and strong! it is kind of puffy in the roots, but very managable! i have been conditioning everyday, though. i'm sure that helps to keep the moisture level constant. i've even got ladies on my job going natural! very cool!

Back