African American Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by bebedee03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sorry for the delay!!!
I use 1 TBSP of baking soda in 2 cups warm water. Stir to dissolve, then pour all over my already soaking-wet hair. I make sure it's been evenly distributed through my hair, then I massage my scalp with the pads of my fingers for a minute or two. Rinse, shampoo, condition as normal. To bring your hair's pH back, you can add 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar to 2-4 cups warm water as a final rinse to seal the cuticle, but I've only done this a couple of times. The trick is to not overuse the baking soda. Some folks add baking soda to their conditioner as they conditioner-wash, but I think there's a chance of using too much that way, so I prefer to do the pre-shampoo rinse.

As for shampoo bars, there are several to choose from, but I have only tried and LOVE Chagrin Valley Soap & Craft shampoo and soap bars (Chagrin Valley All Natural Handmade Soap). Ida's bars are the TRUTH!!!! My eczema has disappeared, my skin is supple and healthy and my hair and scalp get clean without stripping. I love the Rosemary Mint, Nettle and Extra Honey Beer & Egg shampoo bars, but you can use her regular soaps since they're superfatted also. Oyin Handmade and Qhemet Biologics also have poo bars, but I haven't tried theirs yet.

Thank you!
flowers.gif

any excuse to bump this thread, right? lol~

well, i never thought this would end up being my conditioner of choice, but with all the cash i've spent on hair products lately the one that worked the best was clariol herbal essences rose hips, jojoba, and vitamin e! i can't believe it only cost $5. can you believe it? i should be texturizing any day now, but with this conditioner i get no shedding, no breakage and it calms my hair down so much that i don't have helmet head even after shampooing (which i do once a month now).

my 11 year old niece came to visit for the holiday and loves to wear her hair free flowing (flat ironed, no curling). the only problem was the style made her hair very dry. i used the carol's daughter hair milk and it did a great job on her hair. soft and shiney without being greasy. i hope my sister-in-law doesn't have a fit when it's time to repurchase. i didn't tell her how much i paid for it! lol~

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ladies, dont play with coconut oil. its the shit grace, i want to try this so bad, but i'm afraid that it will break my face out! did it create any problems for your skin?

well, i wanted to wait until february to texturize but looks like it's going to be this saturday or sunday. i shed way too many hairs for day 3 hair! it's a shame too, because i love it when it's kind of big and bushy! what is day three hair you ask?

day 1 - rinse completely, condition to detangle, comb through with afro comb, baggie while showering, rinse again, apply leave in conditioner, moisture products, air dry.

day 2 - run damp hand through hair until wet, but don't rinse completely, moisture products, air day.

day 3 - same as day 2, just use different products.

day 4 - see day 1

man, i really wish it was time for my first wash after texturizing! my hair can be a bit unmanagable for the first week or so, but it's growing like crazy!

i'm so happy that i decided to let it grow again and not listen to folks that think longer hair is only for young people! letting it grow and giving up heat styling are the best things i've done for my aging hair. now let's see if i can make it to june or july before i need a touch-up! lol~

grace' date=' i want to try this so bad, but i'm afraid that it will break my face out! did it create any problems for your skin?[/']It actually cleared my skin up. it was the first thign i ever used on my skin that worked

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif grace' date=' i want to try this so bad, but i'm afraid that it will break my face out! did it create any problems for your skin?[/']It actually cleared my skin up. it was the first thign i ever used on my skin that worked

man, you make this sound so tempting. i've seen it at my local natural food store and i eye it aleast once a week! today just might be the day! the one i've been checking out is actually in the food section. is there a difference?

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif man, you make this sound so tempting. i've seen it at my local natural food store and i eye it aleast once a week! today just might be the day! the one i've been checking out is actually in the food section. is there a difference?

I will be honest..it works for some people and it doesnt work for some people. It has worked well for me. Now, i massage it into my skin before i wash my face or while taking a shower. Just use it at night once and see if you like the results in the morning.
Now for your hair..this is a must try. Especially on your ends. A little goes a long way

I'm educating myself on the healthiest products for my hair. Last night I went through all my products and here's what I'm getting rid of:

Pantene - Relaxed & Natural, Daily Oil Moisture Cream

Hairobics - Water Retention Shampoo, Conditioner and hair/scalp booster

Bed Head - Moisture Maniac, Shampoo and Conditioner

Alberto V05 - Tea Therapy Clarity Revitalizing White Tea Shampoo

Clairol - Texture & Tones, Ultra Moisture Shampoo

Elasta QP - Recovery Oil Moisturizer

John Frieda - Frizz-Ease Dream Curls

Soft & Beautiful - Botanical Lite Creme Moisturizer

I'm now using Carol's Daughter products. As well as changing my eating habits. Go me!

Originally Posted by MsCuppyCakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif Pantene - Relaxed & Natural, Daily Oil Moisture CreamHairobics - Water Retention Shampoo, Conditioner and hair/scalp booster

Bed Head - Moisture Maniac, Shampoo and Conditioner

Alberto V05 - Tea Therapy Clarity Revitalizing White Tea Shampoo

Clairol - Texture & Tones, Ultra Moisture Shampoo

Elasta QP - Recovery Oil Moisturizer

John Frieda - Frizz-Ease Dream Curls

Soft & Beautiful - Botanical Lite Creme Moisturizer

I'm now using Carol's Daughter products. As well as changing my eating habits. Go me!

good for you! i see you're a product junkie also! lol~
i totally agree with the pantene moisture cream. that stuff is awful! i bought it once and ditched it right away! i've never tried anything from hairobics, bedhead, vo5, elasta qp or soft and beautiful. i must admit that i keep a bottle of dream curls handy, but if you use it you really have to moisturize! it's very drying.

i gave my carol's daughter hair milk to my niece. it did a great job on her hair. tell us about your new regime and let us know what you're using from the carol's daughter line!

Awww, shiznit. I need to start taking care of my hair again...

I don't know why I stop co-washing. I reverted back to plain on shampoo. On top of that, I don't want to get it cut because I want to still have my afro puffs, but I know I need it. After dying it so much with extreme colors I finally dyed it back to a natural color, and I really need to cut off, because I notice that my dyed ends are drier. Eh.
scared.gif

Originally Posted by SmearedMascara /img/forum/go_quote.gif Awww, shiznit. I need to start taking care of my hair again...
I don't know why I stop co-washing. I reverted back to plain on shampoo. On top of that, I don't want to get it cut because I want to still have my afro puffs, but I know I need it. After dying it so much with extreme colors I finally dyed it back to a natural color, and I really need to cut off, because I notice that my dyed ends are drier. Eh.
scared.gif

get the moisturizer quickly! i've only used a permanent color on my hair once and it was fried to death! in fact, i still have a bit of color on the ends. i don't think i'll ever go back to washing with shampoo weekly. i really believe co washing has saved my hair!
please post pics of your puffs! i'd love a little trip down memory lane! lol~

Originally Posted by bebedee03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sorry for the delay!!!
I use 1 TBSP of baking soda in 2 cups warm water. Stir to dissolve, then pour all over my already soaking-wet hair. I make sure it's been evenly distributed through my hair, then I massage my scalp with the pads of my fingers for a minute or two. Rinse, shampoo, condition as normal. To bring your hair's pH back, you can add 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar to 2-4 cups warm water as a final rinse to seal the cuticle, but I've only done this a couple of times. The trick is to not overuse the baking soda. Some folks add baking soda to their conditioner as they conditioner-wash, but I think there's a chance of using too much that way, so I prefer to do the pre-shampoo rinse.

As for shampoo bars, there are several to choose from, but I have only tried and LOVE Chagrin Valley Soap & Craft shampoo and soap bars (Chagrin Valley All Natural Handmade Soap). Ida's bars are the TRUTH!!!! My eczema has disappeared, my skin is supple and healthy and my hair and scalp get clean without stripping. I love the Rosemary Mint, Nettle and Extra Honey Beer & Egg shampoo bars, but you can use her regular soaps since they're superfatted also. Oyin Handmade and Qhemet Biologics also have poo bars, but I haven't tried theirs yet.

I was wondering would you suggest the soap bars for relaxed hair?

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif get the moisturizer quickly! i've only used a permanent color on my hair once and it was fried to death! in fact, i still have a bit of color on the ends. i don't think i'll ever go back to washing with shampoo weekly. i really believe co washing has saved my hair!
please post pics of your puffs! i'd love a little trip down memory lane! lol~

biggrin.gif
Well...I post pics....

000_3755gbngbcb-1.jpg

Early Last year pics of my extreme "blue bubbles" hair.

I got that cut off; 2-4 inches of my hair was cut off, and cropped pretty short. I actually like the low maintanance of it.

Recently this is the length of my hair but when I put my hair into afro puffs, the afro puffs are of a lighter brown compared to my natural hair color...I think I am just going to grow it out so more, before cutting of the dyed hair.

000_1732fgfgfss.jpg

BTW, this is a old pic of me. excuse the make-up....
blush.gif

Originally Posted by SmearedMascara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
Well...I post pics....
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...5gbngbcb-1.jpg

Early Last year pics of my extreme "blue bubbles" hair.

I got that cut off; 2-4 inches of my hair was cut off, and cropped pretty short. I actually like the low maintanance of it.

Recently this is the length of my hair but when I put my hair into afro puffs, the afro puffs are of a lighter brown compared to my natural hair color...I think I am just going to grow it out so more, before cutting of the dyed hair.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...732fgfgfss.jpg

BTW, this is a old pic of me. excuse the make-up....
blush.gif

super, super cute! i think the contrast of the light ends and dark roots is pretty hot right now!
the makeup is cute! i'm loving the fire engine red lips! lol~

well, i know we've probably done this before, maybe even in this thread, but it's been a while so i think an update is in order!

i would love to know how you are wearing their hair!

1/permed/natural/texturized/braids/locks?

2/what's the one product you couldn't live without?

3/are you using a product not really made of ethnic hair?

4/what old school techniques are you still using?

i'll be glad to start first!

1/i texturize - i get a kinky curly mix

2/dark & lovely chamomile moisturizer

3/i love john frieda secret weapon on damp hair! i get great curls after my hair dries!

4/i still wear my granny bonnet to bed every night to avoid friction & breakage! not very sexy, but i can be cute in the morning! lmao~

classics.jpg

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif well, i know we've probably done this before, maybe even in this thread, but it's been a while so i think an update is in order!
i would love to know how you are wearing their hair!

1/permed/natural/texturized/braids/locks?

2/what's the one product you couldn't live without?

3/are you using a product not really made of ethnic hair?

4/what old school techniques are you still using?

1) Tex-laxed2) I'm almost 16 weeks post, so S-Curl is my baby daddy.

3) Tresemme Poo and Con

4) Bunning and wearing a scarf at night.

Back