African American Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif 1/permed/natural/texturized/braids/locks?

2/what's the one product you couldn't live without?

3/are you using a product not really made of ethnic hair?

4/what old school techniques are you still using?

Great thread!
1. Transitioning to natural (big chopping next month!)

2. Coconut oil!!!

3. All of my products (especially Sunsilk)

4. Plaiting for braid-outs and the wonderful satin bonnet

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif 1) Tex-laxed2) I'm almost 16 weeks post, so S-Curl is my baby daddy.

3) Tresemme Poo and Con

4) Bunning and wearing a scarf at night.

16 weeks! that's fantastic! that's been about my limit as well. are you doing anything special to prolong the time between your retexes?

Originally Posted by alicia8406 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Great thread!
1. Transitioning to natural (big chopping next month!)

2. Coconut oil!!!

3. All of my products (especially Sunsilk)

4. Plaiting for braid-outs and the wonderful satin bonnet

omg! coconut oil! grace swears by this oil! now you alicia! i've got to make a promise to myself to give this a try. it's just that i haven't used an oil on my hair in at least a year!

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif well, i know we've probably done this before, maybe even in this thread, but it's been a while so i think an update is in order!
i would love to know how you are wearing their hair!

1/permed/natural/texturized/braids/locks?

i'll be glad to start first!

1/i texturize - i get a kinky curly mix

2/dark & lovely chamomile moisturizer

3/i love john frieda secret weapon on damp hair! i get great curls after my hair dries!

4/i still wear my granny bonnet to bed every night to avoid friction & breakage! not very sexy, but i can be cute in the morning! lmao~

http://www.maverickwear.com/images/classics.jpg

1/permed/natural/texturized/braids/locks?

Au Natural! 2/what's the one product you couldn't live without?

Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade

Yes and no.

Wearing a silk scarf at night...

For the last year I have been using Domincan products and my hair is def. responding. I use a conditioner called Silicon Mix and Lacio Lacio leave in...works wonders for my hair and dry scalp.

Originally Posted by SmearedMascara /img/forum/go_quote.gif 3/are you using a product not really made of ethnic hair?Yes and no.

Wearing a silk scarf at night...

now, you know you've got tell us what you're using in #3!

Originally Posted by Kenalive /img/forum/go_quote.gif For the last year I have been using Domincan products and my hair is def. responding. I use a conditioner called Silicon Mix and Lacio Lacio leave in...works wonders for my hair and dry scalp. i've heard a lot of great things about Dominican products in general, but nothing in particular. how do you use the products above and how have they changed your hair?

I wash my relaxed hair twice a week. I shampoo with Salerm Protein Shampoo and condition with Silicon Mix and Nacidit Olive Oil conditioner (I usually mix them together). I follow up with the Lacio leave in that makes my hair shine beyond belief. My hair is a lot stronger and I do not have to use a lot of oils that weigh my hair down (can you say body!!). The products are relatively cheap and they ship really fast. If I order on a Thursday it is at my door by Monday. My hair loves me for it!!

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif now, you know you've got tell us what you're using in #3!

i've heard a lot of great things about Dominican products in general, but nothing in particular. how do you use the products above and how have they changed your hair?

biggrin.gif

Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade

Qhemet Biologics Hydrating balm

Qhemet Biologics Leave In conditioner

Qhemet Biologics Honeybush Hair Tea

Qhemet Biolgics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream

Natural Oasis Herbal Conditioner...

most of Qhemet Biologics has honey in it so I use these products for the winter, but then again, I use them rarely because I have not been taking care of my hair....

when spring rolls around and summer, I really am paranoid about using products with honey in it because of BEES!

So I want to get a more products from Paul Mitchell because my hair likes paul mitchell every time my hair stylist does it [which is rare as well.
frown.gif
]

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif omg! coconut oil! grace swears by this oil! now you alicia! i've got to make a promise to myself to give this a try. it's just that i haven't used an oil on my hair in at least a year! It really is wonderful! The great thing about it is that your hair really soaks it in as opposed to just sitting on top of your strands looking greasy (as long as you don't overdo it). The resulting shine and softness is something that I've never been able to find in any other serum, cream, or oil. And it also seems to have moisturizing properties even though it's an oil (it could just be my bias for loving it so much, though)!!!

Originally Posted by Kenalive /img/forum/go_quote.gif For the last year I have been using Domincan products and my hair is def. responding. I use a conditioner called Silicon Mix and Lacio Lacio leave in...works wonders for my hair and dry scalp. I just ordered and received my Lacio Lacio and have used it for two washes so far. I love the scent of it, but I'm not sure of the individual results because I've used two more new products with it; the end result was great.
BTW, the other products were Beyond the Zone NoodleHead cream mixed with Sally's Generic brand of Sebastian Wet....talk about beautiful curls!

Originally Posted by Kenalive /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes, it is a high shine silk protein. do you have a link for the lacio lacio leave in? i've been searching for a good leave in conditioner. my hair can look a bit dull at times (even though it's super soft) because i don't use any oil.

Originally Posted by alicia8406 /img/forum/go_quote.gif It really is wonderful! The great thing about it is that your hair really soaks it in as opposed to just sitting on top of your strands looking greasy (as long as you don't overdo it). The resulting shine and softness is something that I've never been able to find in any other serum, cream, or oil. And it also seems to have moisturizing properties even though it's an oil (it could just be my bias for loving it so much, though)!!!
BTW, the other products were Beyond the Zone NoodleHead cream mixed with Sally's Generic brand of Sebastian Wet....talk about beautiful curls!

i bet i could start with the coconut oil as part of my deep conditioning treatment! i would really love to up the shine factor. my hair is graying and i don't intend to dye it, so the idea of shiny, silver streaks is pretty cool!
do you mean using a curling iron to get the curls or a wet set with the noodlehead/sebastian mix?

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif do you have a link for the lacio lacio leave in? i've been searching for a good leave in conditioner. my hair can look a bit dull at times (even though it's super soft) because i don't use any oil.

i bet i could start with the coconut oil as part of my deep conditioning treatment! i would really love to up the shine factor. my hair is graying and i don't intend to dye it, so the idea of shiny, silver streaks is pretty cool!

do you mean using a curling iron to get the curls or a wet set with the noodlehead/sebastian mix?

I'm not sure where Kenalive got her's from, but I actually got mine from an ebay seller, locotraderI know that it is also sold at Round Brush and sickbay. I'm not sure of a local BSS that sells in my area, but some areas carry Dominican products.

As for the NoodleHead and Sebastian Mix, I just scrunched some through freshly washed damp hair and let it air-dry. It turned out nice and full and curly when it dried. I've also smoothed some on, braided in a few plaits, let it dry, loosened the braids, and wore it wavy; the products created a nice shine and hold.

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif 16 weeks! that's fantastic! that's been about my limit as well. are you doing anything special to prolong the time between your retexes? After week 12, low manipulation S-Curl and COCONUT OIL!!!
rotfl.gif

I have been dying to try some Dominican products, but me no like to pay more for shipping than the cost of the product. I wish some Dominicans would move to Arkansas.
add_wegbrech.gif

Alicia, does loctrader combine shipping prices on larger orders?

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif After week 12, low manipulation S-Curl and COCONUT OIL!!!
rotfl.gif

I have been dying to try some Dominican products, but me no like to pay more for shipping than the cost of the product. I wish some Dominicans would move to Arkansas.
add_wegbrech.gif

Alicia, does loctrader combine shipping prices on larger orders?

You know, I wanted to know the same thing because I wanted to try some of the conditioners they sell as well. The only reason I didn't ask is because I didn't want to be tempted to go crazy and buy more than the Lacio Lacio! But considering the cost of shipping, they should!!!

thanks for the link, alicia! i've added it to my favs! lacio lacio is definitely going on my wish list!

i'm bumping this thread and reposting my totally non-scientific poll! lol~

if you haven't told us already, please tell us what style your rocking and the products that keep it together! post pics if you have them!

1/permed/natural/texturized/braids/locs/weaves?

4/what old school techniques are you still using (plats, pressing combs)?

1/Napp-tural :)

2/Only one? Well as much as I love Oyin and Qhemet, I have to say virgin coconut oil

3/Castor oil on my sopping wet hair

4/Dookie braids to stretch my hair for my big chunky 'fro; satin bonnets at night, every night, no exceptions

no poo method. (condish only)

or try oyinhandmade.com

they have a shampoo bar that comes like soap

i dont get dandruff when i wash my hair with that

it gets it clean

then i add there whipping pudding

shea butter!! that is better than any grease or moisturizer

whip it though, easier to work with

Originally Posted by sephoras girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was wondering would you suggest the soap bars for relaxed hair?

I only came to know about these bars once I went natural, so I haven't had any experience with them myself. My mom is still relaxed, and she has used shampoo bars with success.
Some people don't like shampoo bars when they first try them, but I have told my friends to not give up on them. Sometimes the products and other shampoos & conditioners that we've used in the past leave a waxy buildup and make your hair feel hard. I would definitely clarify with a baking soda rinse to try to get that goop out before using. Also, if you're a suds lover, you may not get a lot of lather from a shampoo bar, but your hair and scalp will get clean, I promise! All those times I lathered to my heart's content when I was relaxed, not even realizing that the detergents in the shampoo were the reason why my hair would be so dry and literally take days to get back to normal. I love my poo bars!!!!

i'd love to try a shampoo bar, but my hair is doing so well with the no poo method that i wonder if i should. it's something to keep in mind, in any case. do you have a link bebedee?

got it! thanks so much ladies! the oyin products look amazing!

Back