African American Hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i always comb through these threads over and over to see if i missed anything and this time i picked up on utmostrose's comments about aveda products, specifically the sap moss nurishing concentrate and the fact that she didn't have any breakage when she used it. when i visited the aveda site i found that they have a new line of products called "be curly". has anyone checked these out? i've never tried aveda products so i wondered how they would perform on our hair. i've included a link. let me know what you think, ladies. thanks!

monnie

Aveda - official site - shop hair care - be curly

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes, I am aware of that forum. I used to frequent there a lot for a brief time, but I confronted a registered member who was using my pics from LHCF on another forum claiming to be me. Unfortunately, I see that this person is also a member here at MuT (you know who you are). I don't go there anymore since that place is crawling with picture stealers and people that have long hair fetishes. Hey there!I used to be member on LHCF for years (I publicly had a little issue with some of their anti-gay policies and posts- prejudice makes my skin crawlllll!) but yeah, there is good HAIR advice there, also on dirty girlz and diaspora (most of those members are LHCF refugees, lol!!)

My own hair is past bra strap (but I wouldn't credit the sites for that, it was already long before I discovered the hair sites) and the thing I always did was wash and condition my hair almost every day- unless I had flat ironed it (I'm not putting the time into ironing it just to wash it out the next day, lol!).

I haven't used a relaxer in more than 10 years because I can get my hair as straight as a relaxer without the chemicals and then I can turn around and leave it curly/frizzy the next day if I want. In genereal, I leave it curly but the last few months I have been ironing it more because it seems to have curling back into itself MORE since I have finally stopped cutting it and allowing it to keep growing, which means more breakage (curling back into itself just makes it SNAP right off).

I always use a light leave in conditioner (more often than not it's a rinse out that I have diluted and then ran through my hair).

ALWAYS use a heat protectant to blow dry or flat iron (again, I have been using the diluted conditioner or that neutrogena triple moisture silk touch to flat iron.)

Our hair NEEDS moisture, do not starve it- drink lots of water to satisfy your hair from the inside; you can coat your hair with as much product as you want, but if it's weak from lack of moisure, then there ain't nothing you can do.

Just ckeck out the sites, you don't have to participate, just lurk, if you want. The information there is mostly valid.

Here's proof your hair can and WILL grow with care;

my hair 3 months ago

hair-1.jpg

6 months ago (I can be a bit addicted to the scissors.
scared.gif
)

3.jpg

and 2 weeks ago (was straight, but it was in Puerto Rico so it frizzed out from the humidy, so it's a wee bit longer than what it looks like in the pic, lol!! SHRINKAGE!!!!!!! If it wasn't for that ponytail, it would have been a huge cloud flying around my head! Ha ha!).

MERMAID-1.jpg

Example of how much it shrinks, lol!! See how short it appears when I don't iron it?? Oh, you can nsee the many different textures in this pic; from super kinky "Z" shaped strands at the crown to curls to waves. That ain't easy to tame, but I do it!

dryhair.jpg

cool pics, jinx! man, you do have quite a job to do! lol~ can you explain more about the hair curling back into itself. which leave-in are you using? your hair looks so strong and healthy! i used one from african pride and by the end of the day i swore my hair was swelling up! lol~

Jinx, I think we are hair twins. Your natural texture looks to be exactly like my own virgin hair (I texturize and henna which greatly loosens my curl). I think I like yours alot more because you have medium sized strands and that gives lot more body than my limp baby-fine ones. I call myself a 3c/4a... how do you describe yours?

I've been a grower since Fall 2001, I began to really take the growing more seriously in 2002. Due to my serious end tapering, it might be a sign that my terminal length is being hit and I might not be able to get beyond tailbone length. I would be ecstatic to see myself get to my dream length, classic. And an even bigger dream is to have a blunt-end classic, not with thin ends. I still have at least 3 or 4 years to get there though, if I even can at all... we'll see, I guess. I think it really helps with the growth if you are a moisturization fiend like me. I am always soaking my hair in something at night, and I walk around with a spritzer bottle to sray on all day long. And I almost never wear it loose, it's always bound in a protective style.

Anyhow, this has been my progress for about a one year interval (waves are from a braid, not my natural texture):

September 2006

sept06450x600.jpg

October 2007

DCFC0045a379x600a.jpg

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Jinx, I think we are hair twins. Your natural texture looks to be exactly like my own virgin hair (I texturize and henna which greatly loosens my curl). I think I like yours alot more because you have medium sized strands and that gives lot more body than my limp baby-fine ones. I call myself a 3c/4a... how do you describe yours?
I've been a grower since Fall 2001, I began to really take the growing more seriously in 2002. Due to my serious end tapering, it might be a sign that my terminal length is being hit and I might not be able to get beyond tailbone length. I would be ecstatic to see myself get to my dream length, classic. And an even bigger dream is to have a blunt-end classic, not with thin ends. I still have at least 3 or 4 years to get there though, if I even can at all... we'll see, I guess. I think it really helps with the growth if you are a moisturization fiend like me. I am always soaking my hair in something at night, and I walk around with a spritzer bottle to sray on all day long. And I almost never wear it loose, it's always bound in a protective style.

Anyhow, this has been my progress for about a one year interval (waves are from a braid, not my natural texture):

September 2006

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t06450x600.jpg

October 2007

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...5a379x600a.jpg

Awesome!It's good to see that hair growing away, lol!

I classify mine as 3a-4b. Seriously, with all those textures.

I bet yours will make it to your goal. You may plateau but I think you are soooo close, I don't see why you wouldn't make it!

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i always comb through these threads over and over to see if i missed anything and this time i picked up on utmostrose's comments about aveda products, specifically the sap moss nurishing concentrate and the fact that she didn't have any breakage when she used it. when i visited the aveda site i found that they have a new line of products called "be curly". has anyone checked these out? i've never tried aveda products so i wondered how they would perform on our hair. i've included a link. let me know what you think, ladies. thanks!
monnie

Aveda - official site - shop hair care - be curly

Hey Monnie! (I've always wanted to say that, hehe
smile.gif
) I'm flattered you picked up on my comment about the Sap Moss, it *is* great! As for the Be Curly line, I have tried the Curl Balm from the line, not the lotion, but the thicker styling creme in the squat navy blue sueeze bottle. It is a great pre-styling, moisturizer for thick hard-to style curls and kinks and really spreads well. The only problem I have is with the opening, which is a tad too large for the slithly runny formual which you have to be quick not to let it all drip out of. Other than that, its great!

Originally Posted by utmostrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey Monnie! (I've always wanted to say that, hehe
smile.gif
) I'm flattered you picked up on my comment about the Sap Moss, it *is* great! As for the Be Curly line, I have tried the Curl Balm from the line, not the lotion, but the thicker styling creme in the squat navy blue sueeze bottle. It is a great pre-styling, moisturizer for thick hard-to style curls and kinks and really spreads well. The only problem I have is with the opening, which is a tad too large for the slithly runny formual which you have to be quick not to let it all drip out of. Other than that, its great! very cool! i'm seriously thinking about giving it a try! maybe i'll start with the sap moss since it's been tested and approved! lol~ thanks for the rec, miss rose!

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Due to my serious end tapering, it might be a sign that my terminal length is being hit and I might not be able to get beyond tailbone length. I would be ecstatic to see myself get to my dream length, classic. And an even bigger dream is to have a blunt-end classic, not with thin ends. I still have at least 3 or 4 years to get there though, if I even can at all... we'll see, I guess. I think it really helps with the growth if you are a moisturization fiend like me. I am always soaking my hair in something at night, and I walk around with a spritzer bottle to sray on all day long. And I almost never wear it loose, it's always bound in a protective style.

September 2006

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t06450x600.jpg

October 2007

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...5a379x600a.jpg

nox, your hair is growing like crazy! congrats on your success as far! can you elaborate more on your comments about end tapering and terminal length. since i'm kind of new to this process(my hair is only just about bra strap length now) and my hair is pretty much naturally thin i need all the help i can get.
you ladies are so inspiring! very cool!

Monnie, I think you are at the easiest stage: the range between armpit and waist.

At least that was the easiest part for me. At that stage, I could practice "benign neglect" without having the pitfalls that threaten collar length or shoulder length hair (friction!). I would just oil it, braid it, bun it, and go.

To elaborate on tapering: Look at the 2006 picture. I have not cut or trimmed it, but it is still growing out fairly blunt and even. Now look at the 2007 picture. It has a noticeable wispy-ness at the ends. Those are not broken hairs (I do "Search and Destroy" regularly, and I don't find too many split ends. But it seems that some of my hairs are either stalling, or slowing in their growth, hence the thinner ends. It is a signal to me that maybe I'm pushing it to a limit or getting near a terminal length. There comes a point at which you only get a few hairs that growing anymore, while all the other ones stop and shed, and it starts to look very bad.

Jinx, thank you for the encouragement, but I am very afraid that perhaps I might not reach my destination due to genetic factors. I so really desired to get to that magical length, but at this rate... I don't know. It looks like I would have to gain almost 12 inches (~30 cm) and then trim it blunt to get an even looking classic length. It seems so far away, and nearly impossible.
icon_cry.gif

Okay since we are talking about hair growth..what products do you ladies use on your hair? my hair IS growing but the rate is so slow....gosh

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Jinx, thank you for the encouragement, but I am very afraid that perhaps I might not reach my destination due to genetic factors. I so really desired to get to that magical length, but at this rate... I don't know. It looks like I would have to gain almost 12 inches (~30 cm) and then trim it blunt to get an even looking classic length. It seems so far away, and nearly impossible.
icon_cry.gif
Hmmm, I suppose it's possible, but when I see someone whose hair has reached YOUR length, it seems like it does keep growing, if just a few more inches it still eeks out those inches, lol!Maybe next year at this time, you'll take a pic and go, "Dang! I never even noticed it was growing all along, now I'm dang near sitting on it", lol!

rockwoot.gif

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay since we are talking about hair growth..what products do you ladies use on your hair? my hair IS growing but the rate is so slow....gosh I don't use anything special, Dove products, Aussie, Head and Shoulders, Giovanni- whatever, lol! Usually what I find on sale that meets my needs. I just look for thick conditioners that I can just slather on, comb through, and gives good slip; if my claw clip can't keep hold of my hair while it has the conditioner then it's a good one for me.Water, good food, I am soooo not a nutrient nazi; I don't get all militant about every little thing, but I have always ate fruits and veggies, big water drinker, etc. I do eat potato chips and twizzlers and drink Killian's Red and rum and Coke as well, lol! Everything in moderation/balance/yin yang- you get the idea.. Care from the inside out. Some folks swear by hair vitamins or crazy dosages of vitamins or some outlandish stuff they slap on their heads (I ain't gonn scare ya with those), but I don't buy into that stuff. I can barely remember to take vitamins for the usual reason, let alone mega doses for my hair, lol!!

Is your "pimp" picture on your myspace (lol!) your hair length? If so, it looks like it's on the right track!

Originally Posted by Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hmmm, I suppose it's possible, but when I see someone whose hair has reached YOUR length, it seems like it does keep growing, if just a few more inches it still eeks out those inches, lol!Maybe next year at this time, you'll take a pic and go, "Dang! I never even noticed it was growing all along, now I'm dang near sitting on it", lol!

rockwoot.gif

I don't use anything special, Dove products, Aussie, Head and Shoulders, Giovanni- whatever, lol! Usually what I find on sale that meets my needs. I just look for thick conditioners that I can just slather on, comb through, and gives good slip; if my claw clip can't keep hold of my hair while it has the conditioner then it's a good one for me.

Water, good food, I am soooo not a nutrient nazi; I don't get all militant about every little thing, but I have always ate fruits and veggies, big water drinker, etc. I do eat potato chips and twizzlers and drink Killian's Red and rum and Coke as well, lol! Everything in moderation/balance/yin yang- you get the idea.. Care from the inside out. Some folks swear by hair vitamins or crazy dosages of vitamins or some outlandish stuff they slap on their heads (I ain't gonn scare ya with those), but I don't buy into that stuff. I can barely remember to take vitamins for the usual reason, let alone mega doses for my hair, lol!!

Is your "pimp" picture on your myspace (lol!) your hair length? If so, it looks like it's on the right track!

Lol...i wish...its just a quick weave I did and carried for 1 month...Oh how I wish that was my real hair. could pass for it though.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Monnie, I think you are at the easiest stage: the range between armpit and waist.
At least that was the easiest part for me. At that stage, I could practice "benign neglect" without having the pitfalls that threaten collar length or shoulder length hair (friction!). I would just oil it, braid it, bun it, and go.

i think i'm still in the friction stage actually. i'm constantly pulling my hair out of my collar or trying to find satin scraves to put over my coats and jackets. i really have to work hard to keep the ends hydrated. there still some work to do before i'm fully into the "benign neglect" stage, but we'll "keep hope alive"! lol~

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif Lol...i wish...its just a quick weave I did and carried for 1 month...Oh how I wish that was my real hair. could pass for it though. i've only seen you with braids or twists, grace. how long is your natural hair? i only ask because when i started growing my hair out it was teeny, weeny afro length, so i know you can do it too! it did go through some crazy stages where i was sure i was going to whack it all off, but now i'm glad i didn't. check out this site (particulary the stretch and grow) and let me know what you think! (please don't laugh at the man in the funny suit! his products are really good, so i give in a pass! lol~)
Main Home

Originally Posted by monniej /img/forum/go_quote.gif i think i'm still in the friction stage actually. i'm constantly pulling my hair out of my collar or trying to find satin scraves to put over my coats and jackets. i really have to work hard to keep the ends hydrated. there still some work to do before i'm fully into the "benign neglect" stage, but we'll "keep hope alive"! lol~ Monnie, I understand about the coats and jackets. I used to live in a cold winter climate once upon a time, LOL. I never did this myself, but what I've seen other ladies do is to use two scarves. The inner one (the one directly facing the hair) was the cute high-end silk scarf, and the other outer one was the functional scarf.
If it makes you feel any better, I am still getting my nape hairs to recover and catch up. They are about 6-8 inches shorter than all my other hairs.

Originally Posted by Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif ...Care from the inside out. Some folks swear by hair vitamins or crazy dosages of vitamins or some outlandish stuff they slap on their heads (I ain't gonn scare ya with those),[/color][/size][/font] You know you wanna tell her about monkey ball sweat, you kNOW you do!
add_wegbrech.gif

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif You know you wanna tell her about monkey ball sweat, you kNOW you do!
add_wegbrech.gif

yuck.gif
yuck.gif
yuck.gif
yuck.gif
yuck.gif
yuck.gif

Actually, I used to use the fragrance of organic butt musk, as commonly sold on adult fetish websites. Gargoyle toenail clippings work wonders, but if you don't come across those then the next best thing is sprinkling little bits toad pubic hair on the scalp... don't be stingy with it now, a generous application will do you right.
saevil.gif

No, for real though... I don't put on my hair anything that isn't derived from nature... except for my conditioner, I do CO washes.

I drink protein shakes, I take sometimes supplement with Biotin, I eat flax seed oil occasionally. Generally, it is better to make sure that the hair you do grow is of the best possible quality, rather than being concerned about how fast it grows. I know a lot of people who grow it fast, but can't retain the length worth sh!t, and look where that leads them? If it grows well, you can be guaranteed it will hold up a long time for you (if you take care of it.)

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif You know you wanna tell her about monkey ball sweat, you kNOW you do!
add_wegbrech.gif
Yeahhhh, I wanna talk about the magic growth "cream" the men's provide for overnight growth, lol!

Originally Posted by Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeahhhh, I wanna talk about the magic growth "cream" the men's provide for overnight growth, lol! Shoulder length to classic in 24 hours!
add_wegbrech.gif

^^^^^^^Y'all are SOOO bad!

When I first decided to go natural, I had relaxed hair that was past shoulder length and very thick. I never really knew anything other than having long hair. When I big chopped in December 2006, I had 2-3 inches of hair - man, what a shock!!! I was obsessed with making my hair grow, and essentially drove myself crazy the first few months. Later though, my focus changed to maintaining the moisture and health of my hair, and I figured that the length would come eventually.

I avoided petroleum, mineral oil and silicone-based products like the plague. I experimented with Suave & VO5 conditioner washes, honey, olive & coconut oils, baking soda clarifying rinses and all-natural superfatted shampoo bars. I tried Oyin Handmade and Ebene hair products and kept my hair soft & moisturized while in protective styles. I'd style my hair in 2-strand twists for 2 weeks, wear the twistout for a few days, wash and start all over again. Over the summer, I rinsed my hair daily, applied conditioner and castor oil, sopped up the excess and walked out the door. One year later and a few minor trims, and my hair is 7 inches long. Now that harsh winter weather has set in, I will be continuing with the protective styling and using heavier creams and butters to keep my hair happy. So long as I focus on keeping my hair healthy and leave it alone, this stuff grows like weeds. So I let it "do what it do, baby"!

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Shoulder length to classic in 24 hours! https://forum.makeuptalk.com/ima...d_wegbrech.gif
love5.gif
Thats the one!!
rotfl.gif

Originally Posted by bebedee03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif So long as I focus on keeping my hair healthy and leave it alone, this stuff grows like weeds. So I let it "do what it do, baby"! That's the truth, right there! It knows what to do without us interferring with it! A little assistance, sure, but constantly messing with it will do nothing for it's health or progress.

Back