Allure Sample Society December 2014 Spoilers and Discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa, tell me more about the Origins super sets! I love their skincare products. Their GinZing SPF 15 with auto-tint is my holy grail winter moisturizer / knocking around without really putting on makeup product.
Oh I a sorry I missed this.  If you wold have mentioned or quoted me, I would have gotten notification. :)

Anyways, the superset is an awesome value..  And with each one I bought I got 2 free gifts.  On cyber Monday, Macy's gave me 1 oz of nightamins and 75 ml of Clear Improvement!  Earlier, from Origins, I got 15 ml Plantscription Youth-renewing face oil, and 1/2 oz Plantscription Powerful lifting cream.

Origins has run out of the supersets.  Macy's had it a few days ago, so fingers crossed.  The plantscription products in the set are amazing and made my skin more youthful.  The ginger wash and souffle have a scent that is to die for!  The two white containers, eh...  But even without those 2 the savings are fab!

2443123_fpx.jpg

Thanks for the info (and I didn't realize you could tag people

Oh I a sorry I missed this.  If you wold have mentioned or quoted me, I would have gotten notification. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks for the info on the sets. Will be getting one of them for my Mom for the holidays. Pretty sure she'll wind up giving me one too =)

How do I make a mention in the future. Still a newb!

I received my box yesterday. At first I wasn't thrilled by the spoilers, I considered this an average box but now that I have it in person I love it. I received the hand cream in La Source which was my preference and the Butter London Lippy in Axis Kiss a pink color. I like it. Everything in the box is usable to me. Very happy with this one :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks for the info (and I didn't realize you could tag people

Thanks for the info on the sets. Will be getting one of them for my Mom for the holidays. Pretty sure she'll wind up giving me one too =)

How do I make a mention in the future. Still a newb!
Just add the @ sign in front of a user name.

Code:
@candes

Got a UPS notice that my box was delivered!  But I still have 3 more hours til I get off work.  This is the first box I've been excited for in awhile!

Mine came today! I love all my variations (Verbena and Lavender; Strawberry Fields) but my BL Lippy was broken off in the lid when I got it. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> No biggie, I fixed it but still would have been nice to have it perfect.

I agree with whomever it was that said the Burberry wasn't as glow-y as they expected - the booklet made it seem like you'd look like a grease slick, but I get barely a hint of sheen? Do I need to shake it more, perhaps? If not, I am disappointed, but I will definitely still use it.

Everything else will gt used eventually, too. All in all I thought this was an A+ box!

I agree with whomever it was that said the Burberry wasn't as glow-y as they expected - the booklet made it seem like you'd look like a grease slick, but I get barely a hint of sheen?
Haven't tried the Burberry yet.  But they said something similar with the Laura Mercier highlighter that came right after the relaunch -- only use a little bit.

I followed their advice with that and couldn't actually see any difference.  I piled that stuff on the second time, and still didn't see much.  I think it was just too close to my skin tone.  But I have learned to take their advice with a grain of salt.

Honestly, I tried the burberry alone and didn't see much. However, I mixed it with some liquid foundation like someone suggested and it does give my foundation an extra umph. It imparted a nice "dewy" kind of effect, which I liked because it wasn't shimmery, it just reflected light better. It is subtle enough to not make my skin look oily.

The normal foundation I use already has a dewy finish, so I see myself using this with foundations that are a little more on the satin to matte side.

Honestly, I tried the burberry alone and didn't see much. However, I mixed it with some liquid foundation like someone suggested and it does give my foundation an extra umph. It imparted a nice "dewy" kind of effect, which I liked because it wasn't shimmery, it just reflected light better. It is subtle enough to not make my skin look oily.

The normal foundation I use already has a dewy finish, so I see myself using this with foundations that are a little more on the satin to matte side.
That sounds good! I am using the MUFE Mat Velvet+ right now, it's not even super matte but I still like a dewy finish better. If the Burberry adds a nice glow, that will work really well!

That sounds good! I am using the MUFE Mat Velvet+ right now, it's not even super matte but I still like a dewy finish better. If the Burberry adds a nice glow, that will work really well!
Let us know how it works!  I prefer dewy foundations over matte, but I do like the Mat Velvet. If it works out for you, I'll try it out too!

Just a heads up [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]from last month's box[/SIZE]...in preparation for landing, please return your Alterna Caviar Oil to a full upright and locked position. The eyedropper on mine was slightly too long for the bottle, which made the squeeze bulb jut out at a weird angle when closed. I found mine today and the oil had leaked from around the squeeze bulb and was all over the bottle. Luckily, it didn't get on anything but me, but blech!

I have tried the Burberry. Today I applied it after foundation on my cheek bones and under my eyes to see if it brightened. I didn't notice much in the bathroom mirror. But, on this gray day and driving in my car with natural light, I see an obvious sheen.   I can see it getting out of hand as the card that came with the box stated (Tin Man).  I am going to continue to play with it as so far nothing has really had this effect.  I am still deciding if I like it.

I have tried the Burberry. Today I applied it after foundation on my cheek bones and under my eyes to see if it brightened. I didn't notice much in the bathroom mirror. But, on this gray day and driving in my car with natural light, I see an obvious sheen.   I can see it getting out of hand as the card that came with the box stated (Tin Man).  I am going to continue to play with it as so far nothing has really had this effect.  I am still deciding if I like it.
I was trying this out today on the back of my hand, and couldn't see any discernible shimmer, even under bright light. I'm wondering if mine might have separated because of the temperatures and there's a huge blob of shimmer at the bottom of the tube. I did really like the texture and the dewy-but-not-oily finish.

I was trying this out today on the back of my hand, and couldn't see any discernible shimmer, even under bright light. I'm wondering if mine might have separated because of the temperatures and there's a huge blob of shimmer at the bottom of the tube. I did really like the texture and the dewy-but-not-oily finish.
I noticed after I used my finger to put it on my face, my finger is left with a film that has the sheen like effect.  I think you should be able to see something if your sample is in good shape.  Try a bit more?

I am so tempted to resub then cancel. But I don't think any of the Butter London lip tints appealed to me, I don't wear nail polish or foundation and eye creams ain't my thing, either. 

Still a better box than I've seen in awhile. Great value.

The December Sample Society box includes:
Butter London Lippy Tinted Balm, FullSize ($20 Value)
RGBNail Lacquer in Oxblood, Full Size ($18 Value)
Crabtree & Evelyn Hand Cream Full Size ($9 Value)
Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Cream Deluxe Sample
Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base Deluxe Sample

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have to hand it to Beauty Bar customer service...they're pretty good!

My box arrived today and the Butter London lippy fell out completely when I opened it. I don't think it was the first time it did that, either, because it was quite scruffed up. Anyway, I called and they're sending me a whole new box! I told the guy everything else was fine and didn't need to be replaced, but he said he wanted to send an entire box. Which is probably easier for them to do, but still very generous!

I felt bad after that, because the color is horrible for me (Apricot Sunray), and I'll probably get the same one, but that was the only reason I got the box. 

It's a lovely color, for sure, just kind of hideous with my skin tone. I can see this looking gorgeous on brunettes and green eyed blondes and redheads! 

Merging this post into the existing December Sample Society thread! 

ETA:  Ugh, merge fail!  Sorry about that, guys!  I think everything is fixed now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back