Allure Sample Society October 2014 Spoilers and Discussion!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone might have to explain to Granny what a hair tie is... is it the elastic things you use for braids or pony tails? So we're basically getting glorified rubber bands?
Instead of a rubber band covered in fabric, it's a wide, flat piece of shiny elastic that's tied in a knot on one end. They are supposed to be superior to old school hair ties because they don't leave a dent in your hair when removed, they're more comfortable, look like you tied your hair with a ribbon instead of a simple elastic, and some like to wear them on their wrists. They suggest that they not be washed, but when they look wrinkled and stretched out when I remove them, I just run them under water and lay flat to dry, and they go back to their original shape.

They do indeed exist everywhere and in every price range from Nordstrom to Dollar Tree, but I've had way better luck with the more expensive versions. Emi Jay is my favorite, then Twistband, then Goody, then Sephora. The Goody ones really stretched out quickly and were a bit narrow, and the Sephora version is too small of a piece of elastic for all my hair. Also, the more expensive versions typically use wider, higher quality elastic, which I think looks nicer.

Also, Emi Jay was created by two [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]entrepreneurial [/SIZE]teenage girls, everything is hand dyed and handmade in the USA, and they donate 20% of their profits to charity, so I prefer to support them over faceless corporate entities like Goody. If they're something you won't use, I bet that most nieces and younger siblings would squee if you passed them along!

Last edited by a moderator:
@  Thank you so much for that explanation, and especially the head's up about the squee factor!

I am subscribed to these boxes in large part because my nieces are getting to the age where it's hard to stuff their Christmas stockings, and I'm tickled to know I will have an especially "cool" thing.

Mind you, they're all getting bubbles, jacks and jump-ropes, too, and Auntie is gonna show 'em how to Double Dutch. (Because nothing says Christmas like taking Auntie to the ER, right???)

I actually like this box! Call me crazy, but I love those shampoo and conditioner samples. They're one less thing I have to buy when traveling, and I've found some really great things through them. Bond No. 9 is an extremely high end perfume brand that is only sold at high end stores like Nordstrom and the like. Their stuff is fantastic. They don't smell like every other perfume.

Ok it's finally here.

Here's the whole box

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px] IMG_3118.JPG[/SIZE]

Mascara: .1 oz

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]IMG_3119.JPG[/SIZE]

The much anticipated EL serum is .24 oz

IMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

Much hated (but I love them) Shampoo and Conditioner 1.7 oz each:

IMG_3122.JPG

Hair ties (probably my favorite, they're substantial and much bigger than sephora brand, in black, brown and navy:

IMG_3123.JPG

And the perfume .057 oz in Chelsea Flowers:

IMG_3124.JPGIMG_3125.JPGIMG_3126.JPG

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably wouldn't have been too angry with this if I had gotten it, but I'm not regretting canceling, either.  Most of the samples would've sat around for ages while I was going through other stuff in my stash.

Won't be rejoining, though -- canceling most subs to get together a car payment (normally I'd plan for such things but my car just died unexpectedly on Friday and I had to sell it to a junk car guy; only got $200 -- it was that bad).  I'll live vicariously through all the photos posted here.

I wish I had gotten Chelsea Flowers... got Highline. Yikes, it's not for me. And the shampoo contains sulfates which are no good for keratined hair. Oh well, I'm happy enough with the other items.

The perfume smells mostly of hyacinth to me. Definitely a floral, and I don't get any of the other notes listed ( peony and magnolia among others, IIRC)

I love the perfume! I only wish the price was more obtainable!

I'm terrible at describing scents: it's a spicy floral to me. If that makes any sense?

I haven't tried anything in my box yet. Personally, I'd be ok with this box if they didn't advertised that the size of EL would  be bigger. I can deal with small samples if they're a good brand (and I've always wanted to try EL) but the advertisement set such high hopes for me.

One thing that's sad is .. biggest samples in the box are the L'Oreal Shampoo and Conditioner >.< I mean, really, I will use it, but what part of that is exciting?

I don't mind the hair ties because I'm using this kind anyway, I just wish they aren't the plain colors. Something more colorful (like fall or Halloween appropriate) would have been better!

In conclusion, I will still keep my subscription since I can use everything in this box, plus some higher brands. But I do expect more than this tiny samples (and shampoo and conditioner) for $15

I love the perfume! I only wish the price was more obtainable!

I'm terrible at describing scents: it's a spicy floral to me. If that makes any sense?
I got the Chinatown scent. Definitely not something I would typically wear but after I spritzed and it settled down, I loved it.!! THEN I read the description on the card about the price...lol  Time to find a sugar daddy!! I'm happy with the box overall and I think the EL is a decent size - larger than I was anticipating.

If you like the perfume or wanted to try it Nordstroms has it as a pick in the samples section. You can choose it and two more with any beauty purchase.

I don't hate my box but...meh. Just meh. I love me some Bond No. 9, but Walmart trial aisle shampoo and Mascara Again doesn't do it for me!

Chinatown is their most famous scent, and caused a stir when it came out. It's a love hate thing with most people. Reminds me of Angel in that regard.

I didn't like it at first, but have come to enjoy it. And the bottle is so pretty. 

I got Chinatown and it reminds me of EL Cinnabar. The shampoo and conditioner went straight to my CS stash. I have an abundance of fine, shiny, healthy, very slippery hair. I have no need of products for damaged hair, I would look like a greaseball!  I do love the hair ties, have my hair up in  a pony bun and thee tie is not sliding off (so far)

Latest posts

Back