Aromaleigh Cosmetics (non-sub)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the no-buy thread, but I feel the same way. The best way to get over it is to go reorganize all your makeup and skincare and make a plan for how to use some of it up... then you're like "oh. I guess I'll wait..."
YES, what actually just helped me through a "I need buy buy some new pretties" (specifically the sol invictus collection which i KNOW i'm going to cave and buy) fit was organizing my indie shadows by color last night and seeing exactly how much I need to work on using (and how many of each color I have).

So the mini jars are $4 & contain 3/4 size of a full jar. What are your thoughts?

For me, I was kind of hoping for a $2.50 price point with half jar mini like GDE & some of the other indies that do minis). I personally don't know why I'd buy 3/4 a jar. I'm more likely to buy a full jar.

I do love her shadows though. I'll probably continue to buy baggies & put them in jars myself. :)

So the mini jars are $4 & contain 3/4 size of a full jar. What are your thoughts?

For me, I was kind of hoping for a $2.50 price point with half jar mini like GDE & some of the other indies that do minis). I personally don't know why I'd buy 3/4 a jar. I'm more likely to buy a full jar.

I do love her shadows though. I'll probably continue to buy baggies & put them in jars myself. :)
Well, it's a start. At those specs, I'm just going to continue buying full sizes, LOL. But maybe with some feedback the mini jars will be tinkered with. :smilehappyyes:

I'm really bummed verging on annoyed about it.  I DO NOT WANT that much shadow!  It's actually why I haven't bothered ordering from them aside from signing up for the sub:  I hate baggies, so I won't order those (I won't even use free sample baggies, and I won't mess with transferring them to jars/clamshells), and I have such a steady flow of incoming mini jars and clamshells from other companies (mostly subs) that I won't order full-sized stuff unless it's a limited edition situation like GDE's holiday shadows.  And I don't like sifters, so that's not a draw.  True mini jars (1/4 tsp) without sifters at a price point under $3 = I MUST COLLECT THEM ALL.  3/4-sized at $4 = eh, I'll go order a bunch of real minis/clamshells from GDE/NM/GCC/DG.  I was very excited about the prospect of Aromaleigh minis, but now that I see the size, I kind of don't see the point in them.  It's just too much of one shade for me.  And I just scored a 40% discount code for NM that's good until the end of November next year, so if I want a bunch of shadow, I'll most likely be headed there first.

I do have to wonder how much of the dwindling interest in Aromaleigh is because of other people like me:  Someone who wants a half-sized jar, period.  Not a baggie, not a full-sized jar, and not a 3/4-sized jar.  There are many other companies that *do* offer true half-sized jars and clamshells, and they get first dibs on my money.

I'm really bummed verging on annoyed about it.  I DO NOT WANT that much shadow!  It's actually why I haven't bothered ordering from them aside from signing up for the sub:  I hate baggies, so I won't order those (I won't even use free sample baggies, and I won't mess with transferring them to jars/clamshells), and I have such a steady flow of incoming mini jars and clamshells from other companies (mostly subs) that I won't order full-sized stuff unless it's a limited edition situation like GDE's holiday shadows.  And I don't like sifters, so that's not a draw.  True mini jars (1/4 tsp) without sifters at a price point under $3 = I MUST COLLECT THEM ALL.  3/4-sized at $4 = eh, I'll go order a bunch of real minis/clamshells from GDE/NM/GCC/DG.  I was very excited about the prospect of Aromaleigh minis, but now that I see the size, I kind of don't see the point in them.  It's just too much of one shade for me.  And I just scored a 40% discount code for NM that's good until the end of November next year, so if I want a bunch of shadow, I'll most likely be headed there first.

I do have to wonder how much of the dwindling interest in Aromaleigh is because of other people like me:  Someone who wants a half-sized jar, period.  Not a baggie, not a full-sized jar, and not a 3/4-sized jar.  There are many other companies that *do* offer true half-sized jars and clamshells, and they get first dibs on my money.
I am just really surprised. There is no middle ground. Here, buy a set if sample baggies for $10 or go up to the next level: mini jars that cost $40!!! I'm a middle ground girl. $25-$30 I'm SOLD!!! $40 not so much.

I thought I was being a grumpy Gus about it so I'm glad to hear im not the only one that was slighty disappointed.

However!!! I love Aromaleigh's eyeshadows! Their shadows are gorgeous & stay on me all day without creasing. (It's one of the few that work for me). I'll still buy samples because I really do love the colors, but it's too bad about the mini jars. Fingers crossed she'll tweak the sizing & cost as time moves on.

Let's see if I can finally get this to work, desktop site has been down for me for two days. Ok, so if you saw the Aromaleigh FB update about the mini jar pricing, I was the person who emailed them about it. I received this email in response, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way:

I appreciate your feedback, but Kristen won't be able to lower the prices to where you suggest and earn any profit from the mini jars.

Most minis appear to contain 1/4 tsp, and Kristen is packing her mini jars full, which is closer to a 1/2 tsp. She won't ship without sifters, as these prevent leaking and messes. She is also labelling both tops and bottoms, with her labels, as she feels it looks unprofessional and unfinished to ship minis out without a top label. Kristen also has access to a lot of more costly and unusual pigments that other indies don't, as she's been in business for 16 years and has relationships direct with manufacturers. Most indies purchase from TKB and other middlemen, who don't carry the pigments she uses.

With Aromaleigh's constant generous sales, the price of the jars will regularly fall to the $3 mark- sometimes less, if there is a Monday deal.

Kristen decided to try out the mini jars because customers requested it, but if it doesn't work out, it would actually be much easier for her. The jars are very tiny and hard for her to work with, as she has some issues with her fine motor skills due to being Autistic. She wants to keep customers happy, but to expand her catalog to include minis of every color is a prospect she finds very overwhelming, and she is worried that it will make her order processing much more complicated- something she already struggles with due to being Autistic, which is a developmental disability which affects her severely on a daily basis in running Aromaleigh.

She feels constant stress to try to keep up with everything other indies are doing, but has a very hard time doing so because of her unique situation. As it is, Aromaleigh is almost more than she can handle on her own, and she gets enough orders each month to support her and her Son. She's not looking to drastically increase or expand Aromaleigh- she just wants to keep customers happy and make enough money to be able to pay her bills and be able to homeschool and raise her son, who also has Autism.

Thanks again for your feedback, I'm sorry that Kristen's take on mini jars isn't what you had hoped, but it's the best she's able to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to figure out how to put my response to that into words, and I'm struggling.  It's kind of like...  Their position is that since they've been doing this for sixteen years, they have the right to decide what customers get to buy.  Except the indie landscape is *vastly* different now, and if Company A doesn't want to offer the size of mini I want to buy, well, I'll just go over to Company B.  Sure, they have the right to produce whatever products and sizes they want, but as a customer, I have the right to say I'm not buying that because I don't want that size.  There are *plenty* of squirrels running around nearby, so I'm not going to bother chasing the one sitting on the fence just staring at me.

Aromaleigh said that the Monday deal and Weekly sales will also apply to the mini-jars - so aren't they effectively/practically $2.40 to $3 per jar? (40% and 25% off respectively; and I imagine most people buy during a sale, anyways)

I too tend to want more of a half sized jar. BUT, that said, I'd still be more likely to pick up a few $4 minis than a full size. The lack of minis is a main reason I have not tried this company yet and I guess I'll take whatever I can get because so many of these shadows do look amazing.

(I do have to say I'd prefer no sifter, but...not a huge deal.)

I don't think it's any secret that whoever handles Aromaleigh's responses needs to be replaced (she's now been blunt-to-verging-on-callous-to-straight-up-rude to three girls I really like), but I do understand their position. And, DON'T businesses decide what we get to buy? Then we decide if we want to buy what they have decided to provide us? 

Also, if @@yousoldtheworld is right, then that is an amazing deal. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Great point!

It's disappointing that Aromaleigh doesn't want to expand the brand further, but it is the choice of the owner, and I can see how greatly Autism could play into that (and I do NOT MEAN that someone on the autism spectrum can't run a large business! But their own letter notes the problems with motor skills in tiny jars). I feel like, to expand the business (including adding halflings) they would have to hire more people- that can really bite into the profit at the beginning especially, and since this seems to be her full source of income to support herself and her son, I can understand the hesitation.

Someone mentioned that one of the subs (I forget which) either makes zero profit or actually loses money in another thread- that doesn't surprise me, and if you stop to think about it, it's obvious why: Most of these indie subs are giving many items at a discounted rate (which usually includes shipping)- that, along with LE items, is the appeal of subs- you get to try out many new items at a vastly discounted rate. But unlike the biggies like Birchbox and Glossybox, these aren't third-party companies making deals with all sorts of companies in a symbiotic relationship (companies provide sub with product at vastly discounted rate in order to attract hordes of new customers who may never have heard of them before/advertisement, while the sub then makes an overall profit.)- indie subs are usually their own product, with maybe a partnership with one or two other indies. It doesn't surprise me that they can be a money pit for indies, and we are very lucky to have them. Since Aromaleigh just launched theirs, I can see them being extremely hesitant to start up another product that may not provide much profit at all.

But seriously, Aromaleigh, get a new CS rep!! That reply was AWFUL! 

I just woke up this morning & read the Facebook post. I totally feel awful if my comments made her that upset. It was not my intention at all.

I totally understand that she is the business owner & she makes the decisions. And her customer base will support her in whatever decision she makes. There is no way possible to make everyone happy. That's just life. I think minis is a must with Aromaleigh. It's a good move even if it's not exactly what I wanted or hoped for. It's still going to be good for her because people want minis. So I hope she continues because it will make a lot of customers really happy.

I will most definitely buy the minis during sales when they are $3 because I absolutely love her colors.

I obviously don't know where she lies on the autism spectrum, etc. But because of what I do for a living (and what I've done the last 5 years as well), I really understand and have a lot of sympathy how incorporating changes can be really difficult and more of a challenge than it might be for others, and how not being able to do something the way she originally envisioned it can be really hard. I just hope people were sensitive in their comments/messages about this!

Glad she's doing the poll, and I hope it all works out okay with less stress!

I usually buy a lot during the weekly sales, so I would be happy with buying an almost full size eyeshadow for around $3 (if they decide to continue with the mini jars). I would rather have too much shadow in jars than have a million unused sample baggies. If there is a color I know I will use I will also pay $4 for a mini jar and skip the sample size. This probably means I won't buy as many full collections, but I don't really do that anyway. I bought the Sol Invictus in sample baggies and haven't had a chance to use it yet since baggies are such a pain. 

I'll admit that one of the other reasons I haven't bought aromaleigh yet is that it bothers me not having a full colllection, and her collections are big, that it would be a bit of an expenditure to get the whole thing. I think I'm going to have to get over that one and just learn to not have a whole collection.

Aromaleigh said that the Monday deal and Weekly sales will also apply to the mini-jars - so aren't they effectively/practically $2.40 to $3 per jar? (40% and 25% off respectively; and I imagine most people buy during a sale, anyways)
This is exactly why I almost didn't chime in at first.  But, she was only offering mini's on a new (not yet discounted) collection.  This was going to be a test for her to gauge interest in mini's.  And since they were all at the $4 over-priced price point, I didn't want her to think there was as little interest in mini's as her orders for this collection would indicate.

I don't really think it's a big deal whatever she decides to do, I will still buy. Selfishly I want something around $3ish because that's where the price is right for me not feel guilty about buying more shadows lol. I do feel bad that it seems like a stressful decision and the poll seems pretty spilt. Half sizes with no sifter seems like less work, but I wouldn't know. I would definitely pick up the entire sol invictus collection at a $3 price point, but the thought of transferring 12 baggies to jars just turns me off.

I don't really think it's a big deal whatever she decides to do, I will still buy. Selfishly I want something around $3ish because that's where the price is right for me not feel guilty about buying more shadows lol. I do feel bad that it seems like a stressful decision and the poll seems pretty spilt. Half sizes with no sifter seems like less work, but I wouldn't know. I would definitely pick up the entire sol invictus collection at a $3 price point, but the thought of transferring 12 baggies to jars just turns me off.
YES, man I want that collection but I hate baggies and I just can't splurge that much on a whole collection of full sizes. Give me that collection in sample jars, pleeeease.

And yeah, the half sizes with no sifter really would be less work....but like I said, I also know how some people with autism have a lot of trouble doing things in a way that doesn't seem "right" to them (or the way they envision it, you know) and so I know it might not be that simple for her to adjust to an idea like that right away.

But gosh I'd be happy if she manages to do the $3 half sizes!

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't mind transferring sample bags to jars. I buy collections in full so this is usually my only feasible, and affordable option. But if there is a reasonably priced mini jar collection, say $20-$35 depending on jar price and number of shadows, I am totally willing to get that instead. I think a few commenters on the FB don't get that as a customer, you totally have the right to say, "I don't want to buy that in it's current form because I don't see the value in it". We should not be the ones adjusting our spending habits for a company, if you don't like the way it's offered by one company, go buy it from another. I just don't get that mentality of I'll buy it however it's offered. You do get a say. Buy it or don't. I had hoped that since it is a new product, and they were gauging interest, it was fair of me to say I am not buying minis at $4, because a collection of that is too expensive for me. I voted in the poll, I hope that something comes of it, otherwise I'll just keep buying samples, and I'll buy minis from other companies.

Unrelated but I freaking LOVE moving baggies into jars. I find it so methodical and relaxing :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I don't mind doing it either! I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a cart of Asteriai samples that I fully intend on putting into jars. It's only $20 for two sample sets and I buy 50 jars for $14 so it's less than $4 for the jars I will use.  So $24 versus $40 makes more sense to me right now.

I may buy a $40 set down the road if it's an option if I love the colors as much as I think I will. Honestly I've never seen a collection that I've *had to have* as much as this one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back