August No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be so good at justifying a purchase to myself. Now I'm talking myself out of everything. I've put the perfume that was going to be my reward for surviving my July No Buy in my cart several times and I just can't seem to hit checkout. Thought about browsing the UD sale but there really is nothing I need. I'm looking at a pair of shoes on Beyond the Rack right now. I even have a $10 credit and I can't get myself to commit.

I'm in the same boat.. that UD sale is tempting me something fierce... Haven't clicked to checkout, but I'm tempted...bad!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the same boat.. that UD sale is tempting me something fierce... Haven't clicked to checkout, but I'm tempted...bad!
And I have enough money in my paypal to place the order, somehow I convince myself that paypal isn't real money. 

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is the short, extremely simplified version, but it has to do with the dopamine bursts you get when you buy new items.  We are a hard wired to want newness and variety, and our brains reward us with the pleasure neuro chemicals.

Gives new meaning to the term "makeup junkie", doesn't it?
I need my dopamine fix from other methods lol. Every time I say "I went to the mall" my boyfriend asks "were you sad????" and I feel so bad, lol. But here I am, ready to place this order because there is more than enough money in my paypal and I just really want this stuff. WHY WHY WHY. ugh stooppp. 

I really, really ,REALLY want a few things, but I'm going to try and say no..lol. I was bad and bought some things i didn't need last month. I emptied my cart on UD and am going to stay away from the site. Here's to being good and not going crazy..I'm setting up a low buy and going to try and avoid splurge purchases til the holidays... I never got the Naked palette for the buddy. My hautelook order came in and I bought a few balm palettes...I'll fork one over and keep one for myself. Money spent and saved.. but damn..good sale lol.

I really, really ,REALLY want a few things, but I'm going to try and say no..lol. I was bad and bought some things i didn't need last month. I emptied my cart on UD and am going to stay away from the site. Here's to being good and not going crazy..I'm setting up a low buy and going to try and avoid splurge purchases til the holidays... I never got the Naked palette for the buddy. My hautelook order came in and I bought a few balm palettes...I'll fork one over and keep one for myself. Money spent and saved.. but damn..good sale lol.
I was bad and bought some things, I'll save the "what" for a different thread, but I'll confess here that my "low buy" for august is going poorly lol.

What'd you get?! Lol, bad, but I'm going to live vicariously through you lol!
lol, I got the urban glow highlight in wicked, which i have in another color and really like, the matte eyeshadows in abc gum and secret service, lipstick in revolution, vintage big fatty mascara, lip love in failbait and stung, and eyeshadow in twicebaked. Plus the usual samples they pass along. 

I'm struggling too...shocker! I rejoined beauty army & got on the waiting list for myglam. I feel like my subs are getting out of control again & I did so well by narrowing them down to 3. I have 6 now
confused.gif

UD sale is so tempting.

You guys aren't the only ones being crazy tempted by the UD sale. I had a cart pretty much full of everything, but I cut it down to two lipsticks and an eyeshadow, which I don't think is too crazy. 

Maybe I'll get them. I've been good for the past 41 days, and I only have $25 worth of stuff in my cart. Oy...

Lol, look at us! I was eyeballing the vegan palette, same highlighter, mascara, Colin pocket rocket and mascara... I could get all that for under $50 and be sooo happy.

Lol, look at us! I was eyeballing the vegan palette, same highlighter, mascara, Colin pocket rocket and mascara... I could get all that for under $50 and be sooo happy.
I wanted to do the palette because its pretty but I realized I already have all the shades in it that I would use regularly, so I opted for eye shadow singles instead. Which I've managed to convince myself was a good decision in terms of a lowbuy lol. 

Well, I successfully resisted! Mainly because by the time I went back, the lipstick I wanted was sold out.

I put 3 UD shadows in my basket and then decided that $27 is still too expensive so put them back.  I prefer palettes to singles, but none of the palettes appealed to me for some reason.

Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I put 3 UD shadows in my basket and then decided that $27 is still too expensive so put them back.  I prefer palettes to singles, but none of the palettes appealed to me for some reason.
Same here! I put a couple of palettes in my cart, but then I just slowly went through and gave them a good look-over, and when I was really honest with myself, the only shades I would be using were ones that were really similar to the ones in my Naked palettes. So, definitely didn't need 'em. 

So, I am bored. Very, very bored.

That might be kind of weird thing to come here and say, but I'm worried that I'm going to end up driving to the mall, or Target, or finding myself on Sephora's  website and find myself making a purchase. My husband is out of town until late Friday evening, my friends are at a conference/not back for the semester yet, and I'm left without a whole lot to do. Plus, I'm not longer ridiculously broke, so I have some spare change. 

Blehhhh. Maybe I'll go take a nap, watch a movie, or play a video game. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm in the same position right now... When im in that situation, I just play with makeup i already have. Too bad i can't do that right now :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, I am bored. Very, very bored.

That might be kind of weird thing to come here and say, but I'm worried that I'm going to end up driving to the mall, or Target, or finding myself on Sephora's  website and find myself making a purchase. My husband is out of town until late Friday evening, my friends are at a conference/not back for the semester yet, and I'm left without a whole lot to do. Plus, I'm not longer ridiculously broke, so I have some spare change. 

Blehhhh. Maybe I'll go take a nap, watch a movie, or play a video game. Anyone have any suggestions?
This is what started my problem! Boredom at work and sitting in front of a computer. I recommend working out as a distraction.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is what started my problem! Boredom at work and sitting in front of a computer. I recommend working out as a distraction.
I think I'm going to go do some pilates and then take a nap.

I did not have this issue at all when I was in high school. My family lived out of small-town city limits, so we were stuck with dial up, so I just didn't waste very much time on the internet at all. It was an hour drive to any decent malls or shopping, so I just didn't buy much. My closet was pretty sparse, and I had one makeup bag of stuff. 

Siiiigh. I kinda miss those days. :/

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly! Super slow at work this week. I gave in to the e.l.f 50% off sale. So far this month I've given to the MUA sale and the e.l.f sale. Good thing they're both cheap. Ordered a pile of stuff and I'm still under $40.  I did give in and subscribed to Beauty Army. Dropped Conscious Box so it should even out.

Back