August No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is what started my problem! Boredom at work and sitting in front of a computer. I recommend working out as a distraction.

If you're bored at home with nothing to do: reorganize/clean your make up that you already have! I love doing that. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Don't buy anything new! go through all your old stuff, catalog it, and trade it! It takes a bit of time, will keep you occupied, and you might rediscover favorites!

Originally Posted by LoriAnnLV /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly! Super slow at work this week. I gave in to the e.l.f 50% off sale. So far this month I've given to the MUA sale and the e.l.f sale. Good thing they're both cheap. Ordered a pile of stuff and I'm still under $40.  I did give in and subscribed to Beauty Army. Dropped Conscious Box so it should even out.
i, too, caved for the e.l.f. sale but only spent i think $22 including shipping so no major damage.  

I cashed in some Shoppers Optimum points and got Anna Sui blush ($28) and a OPI Kardashian collection polish ($3 on sale!)... I paid $4.78.

I'm kinda tempted to go through all of my stuff and box it up so I'm not tempted to keep switching up products. It drives me crazy to have all of these half empty bottles around, I have no idea why I can't just finish one product at a time! I used to be able to do it....plus, doing this might give me a good idea of what i actually have. I'm a little scared.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm kinda tempted to go through all of my stuff and box it up so I'm not tempted to keep switching up products. It drives me crazy to have all of these half empty bottles around, I have no idea why I can't just finish one product at a time! I used to be able to do it....plus, doing this might give me a good idea of what i actually have. I'm a little scared.
You can do it! I'm kind of in the process of doing that, too. Which also means weeding out the piles, because if I won't store it, why do I even have it?

Just out of curiosity, how much IS "low buy" anyways? Is there an actual number or is it just relative to how much you usually buy?

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just out of curiosity, how much IS "low buy" anyways? Is there an actual number or is it just relative to how much you usually buy?
Relative. Like, if I were to set $50 as a monthly goal, that would be a low buy, but lots of folks don't spend even that much per month. It's what you make of it!

Yup, like calexxia said, its all relative. A low buy for me compared to my winter shopping habits is staying under 150..I'm shooting for WAY lower, but how low you go is up to you. 

Need to offically join for August and beyond.  I have such a large surplus of facial cleansers, shower gel, lotion  primer lip gloss  etc  it is out of control!  I feel like a hoarder!  .  I still have my 3 subscriptions ( BB, SS and QVC new beauty tube) which I am going to keep.

Going forward no purchases  only trades and my subscriptions...      I am thinking going the route that ladygray mentioned  box everything up and use up one type of product at a  time.   I need to focus and clear out this stuff...  need to stay strong... 

It's whatever you want it to be! One person's low-buy could be seen as going crazy outta control to another. I've seen it set by dollar amount ($30, $50, $100, etc) or by number of products (1 high end or 3 drugstore, for example). Entirely up to you! Only you know your collection and the amount you spend, so only you can determine what exactly is a low-buy for you.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can do it! I'm kind of in the process of doing that, too. Which also means weeding out the piles, because if I won't store it, why do I even have it?
I think I'm gonna do some weeding out today. I have a couple of Nick Chavez hair items I bought for some reason during their St. Patrick's Day sale that I will never use because they smell absolutely horrible. Buuut, they're just sitting around, taking up space. I also probably need to organize everything by type. Just a quick once over revealed that I have a crap ton of body wash and face wash, probably enough to last me and my husband until 2017. And I don't really care if he doesn't want to use my 'girly' soap, I'm going to make him lol. We'll eventually reach the Irish Spring at the back of the cabinet, just gotta work our way there. 

Mmm.... I think for me, I might set a  'number-of-products' limit then...my problem I have too many products to get through at this point. I haven't hit the pan on anything in years, and with all these sample boxes, it's taking me a while to get through all these cleansers and lotions that I haven't used many of my full sizes in a while. Thanks for the input everyone!

I got my first order from glamour doll eyes earlier this week and finally got to playing around with it and I'm obsessed. I really want to order the all work no play collection because those are colors I'll wear, but I know I shouldn't. Talk me down please, lol. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my first order from glamour doll eyes earlier this week and finally got to playing around with it and I'm obsessed. I really want to order the all work no play collection because those are colors I'll wear, but I know I shouldn't. Talk me down please, lol. 
Noooooo! Thats all I got. I'm tempted to order right now. Yikes

I'm trying to be good. I have 16 hours by myself today...thats dangerous! Dexter is coming out (6th season) tues so I really can't buy anything extra. I love me some dexter but hate paying for showtime.

My julep mystery boxes are supposed to come today, hopefully that will tide me over.

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Noooooo! Thats all I got. I'm tempted to order right now. Yikes
I transferred the money I was going to use out of my paypal and into my bank account, which helps me remember it's "real" money, lol. I should be ok for now...but I really want that collection!! I never realized how much fun pigments were! 

so the e.l.f. sale got me and now Urban Decay on Hautelook today is coming after me.  if the sale is the same as on their site, it won't be as hard to resist.

Originally Posted by Jess Bailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so the e.l.f. sale got me and now Urban Decay on Hautelook today is coming after me.  if the sale is the same as on their site, it won't be as hard to resist.
I managed to avoid the e.l.f sale because I figure if I wanted, it's all relatively cheap enough at somewhere like Target. When I got my Hautelook email last night saying Urban Decay was coming back, I let out this groan of dissatisfaction. I know I don't need anything, I know I just spent a bunch of money on nail polish, but I also know I'll probably be checking out what they have as soon as 11 comes around. I'm hoping I can convince myself to not order anything. 

I'm not going to count this as breaking my no-buy, but I'm going to order one of the XL things of setting spray from the Hautelook sale. I'm almost out of my e.l.f. stuff and this is the stuff I was going to go to Sephora to buy anyway, so might as well save a few bucks, right?

But nothing else! No eyeshadows, no lip gloss, and certainly no palettes! They are very tempting, but I don't need 'em. 

Back