August No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know exactly how you feel! I see all the crazy good back to school/fall deals, sales and releases, and my brain is just going nuts. I've resisted so far, but I'm really worried that once my no-buy is over, I'm gonna go crazy. I think I'm going to have to very slowly transition into a very, very low buy. 
Maybe cut down a category or two? If you find yourself buying similar products in the same categories, say blush or copious amounts of eye liner...next month tell yourself you're going to cut those out and do a no buy, while keeping other things low buy. I told myself no Sephora orders and nothing online, because I tend to buy more to bypass shipping...Ridiculous because I'll spend a lot more money just to save the $5.95 s/h fee! So far, I haven't made any online orders since the very end of July and I'm doing pretty good..I've got a ton of stuff loaded in my Sephora, BB, and BeautyBar carts, but am slowly emptying them out lol...I managed to empty out the UD cart and pass. I keep telling myself to hoard BB points, but I've managed to order something every month from them and use some points, but I wiped them out now. I think I'll managed to pass on a BB order for that reason, but it's hard to resist purchases when I'm paying so little and scoring free s/h. 

Laura Geller on Haute Look. Sigh. Really wanted to order. But then I realized I have a blush & 2 eyeshadows of hers that I've never used.

Finally used up my first EVER finished bottle of nail polish - Lush and Luxe from the China Glaze Hunger Games Collection.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Finally used up my first EVER finished bottle of nail polish - Lush and Luxe from the China Glaze Hunger Games Collection.

Lol, come to think of it..I've never finished anything besides a base/top coat! That must have taken a lot of application.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol, come to think of it..I've never finished anything besides a base/top coat! That must have taken a lot of application.
I kinda used it on almost everything AND I change my nails about daily.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I kinda used it on almost everything AND I change my nails about daily.

I go through spurts, but definitely the last two months, I've been doing that with my Essie Shine of The Times...good thing I stockpiled the polish because I can't find it in stores anymore lol.

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Laura Geller on Haute Look. Sigh. Really wanted to order. But then I realized I have a blush & 2 eyeshadows of hers that I've never used.
I think I would have been more tempted if the prices had been better. There also wasn't really anything that was tempting, so I'm happy I managed to pass.

50 days. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I would have been more tempted if the prices had been better. There also wasn't really anything that was tempting, so I'm happy I managed to pass.

50 days. 
Congrats on 50 days! I did see the Hautelook sale and the prices, while good, made me not buy. I was looking for a steeper discount, but I'm trying to be cheap like that right now lol. I like how you post the length of days..lordy, it reminds me of those recovery shows and stuff lol. But I suppose that's us, trying not to scratch that itch for more more...

I just keep reminding myself that there will always be other sales. haute look seems to be on rotation, and there are always gifts with purchases...that the ones on the sites now will be back in a couple months if not a few weeks. maybe depot and repalette stuff to keep busy?

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats on 50 days! I did see the Hautelook sale and the prices, while good, made me not buy. I was looking for a steeper discount, but I'm trying to be cheap like that right now lol. I like how you post the length of days..lordy, it reminds me of those recovery shows and stuff lol. But I suppose that's us, trying not to scratch that itch for more more...
Haha, thanks! I agree about the discount, it wasn't bad at all considering it was Laura Geller, but not quite nice enough to justify making me bitee. I keep track of the days on chains.cc, which makes the whole process oddly satisfying. I don't know what it is, but clicking a little dot for another day of no buy is really nice. And this totally is like one of those recovery shows, maybe we should make our own? "Makeup Junkies Anonymous"?

Wow!  I've never used up a full sized bottle of nail polish!  Congratulations!

Actually, because I've never gone through a full size bottle, I made a rule for myself that I can only acquire (through sale OR trade) mini bottles.  It is definitely helping on the low-buy, because every time I see a pretty color I can check if it comes in minis.  If not, I don't get it.

Originally Posted by missionista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow!  I've never used up a full sized bottle of nail polish!  Congratulations!

Actually, because I've never gone through a full size bottle, I made a rule for myself that I can only acquire (through sale OR trade) mini bottles.  It is definitely helping on the low-buy, because every time I see a pretty color I can check if it comes in minis.  If not, I don't get it.
I prefer minis as well!  I don't think I've ever gone through a full bottle before.

Hi ladies. I'm new to this forum, but I can tell you I understand your pain when it comes to the impulsive buying of piles and piles of cosmetics and makeup that we never use. Yesterday I read some of the posts here and it felt like they were written by me.

I think this support group is such a great idea and I'm joining it, because sometimes when I'm feeling depressed I often go to the makeup counter and buy things I don't really need and that pleasure you get with buying something nice doesn't really last that long.

So, because this is my first month, this will be a low-buy month to start with. Besides I've already bought a couple of things, which were not expensive but could have waited.

So, we can do it!!!

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just keep reminding myself that there will always be other sales. haute look seems to be on rotation, and there are always gifts with purchases...that the ones on the sites now will be back in a couple months if not a few weeks. maybe depot and repalette stuff to keep busy?
I agree, Great idea!

Well I had a bit of a relapse today. I planned on going to the outlet mall for a few specific things. I found a few of things on my list but not all. All clothing, shapewear, and a purse. In the end I think I spent more than I should have. I know part of it is trying to take my mind off going to the doctor's this afternoon. I did at least stop myself from swinging by Sephora on my way home. I am going to cash out my BB points and use my anniversary coupon this weekend as well. Still trying to find balance I guess. 

I couldn't resist the vib clutch full of goodies. I got some brushes & these cute lip glosses. I was nice to treat myself but I gotta stop now. This is the time I go buying like crazy so I have a few trades going on. Its keeping me busy.

I couldn't resist the vib clutch full of goodies. I got some brushes & these cute lip glosses. I was nice to treat myself but I gotta stop now. This is the time I go buying like crazy so I have a few trades going on. Its keeping me busy.

those are so cute!

I didn't resist it either.  I got a Buxom gloss for $10 and a First Aid Beauty set for $40, both favorite items so they will get used.  I'm going to create some goodie bags for my mom and aunt for Christmas, so some of the vib items will be used for that.

Love the glosses, I don't think I've noticed them before! 

I'm trying to do a low-buy for August, and only purchase to replace necessary items--but I've used up a lot of stuff.

in August:

samples:

jouer moisturizing tint-2 samples sized .07 and .17

hydra-global hydration intense anti-age cream .014 oz sample

eye never eye cream (teeny tiny sample)

full-size:

maybelline water-based eye makeup remover (soo glad it's gone)

brocato volumizing hair tonic

bumble & bumble spray de mode hairspray

clinique soft blonde superfine liner for brows-I've only had it 3 months!!

I keep telling myself I really don't need to replace most of it, but it's soo hard!

Latest posts

Back