August No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh god I was BAD today. I decided to go to the mall instead of a baseball game because it was raining and I walked out of sephora with the new UD foundation (I'd tried a sample and it was amazing and I honestly don't have many foundations and definitely none that I actually like), and a whole lot of other  stuff. SO BAD.

I'm joining this forum...sigh...I was good for a long while, then went shopping happy, and now, I need to stop. Last night, I almost, almost cancelled all my subs. I decided I would wait till I use my coupons and points and then make a decision. I need to use up all the stuff I have, which is totally manageable, but still. I have plenty to get me by for a while. Plus, it's extra tough cus all the F&F sales will be coming up in the next few months, but I figure those happen every six months or so...there will always be products I want, so it's okay if I skip it this Fall. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm Dots and I'm a Shimmer-a-holic.

Hi all!

I'm relieved to say that i haven't bought anything new since my relapse( it's been two weeks 
smile.gif
) Sure there are things I want to try, but I like the way my bank statement looks right now. Good luck girls! We need all the help we can get!

1) There will ALWAYS be another sale

2) If you feel you're being BAD by buying something, then you should really assess your shopping habits. Breaking a no-buy isn't being BAD, it's just starting fresh.

3) If you don't genuinely enjoy the stuff you buy, don't buy it, no matter how great the price is.

4) If you treat yourself too often, it ceases to be a treat.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2) If you feel you're being BAD by buying something, then you should really assess your shopping habits. Breaking a no-buy isn't being BAD, it's just starting fresh.

3) If you don't genuinely enjoy the stuff you buy, don't buy it, no matter how great the price is.

THIS IS SO TRUE!!!! Need to print this out and refer to it oftern.  Just broke my no buy due to the sephora VIB clutch ... today is another day

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So true and so useful. Thank you so much.

I'm so tempted to pick up a few things from the Stila sale on Hautelook. Uuuuuuughhh. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm so tempted to pick up a few things from the Stila sale on Hautelook. Uuuuuuughhh. 
I was going to get the refillable palette and a bunch of shadows to fill it, but then I thought about how many eyeshadows I have...nope not necessary at all. 

Don't do it! If it makes you feel any better - all the liners have been on sale on Beauty Crunch for at least a month, and are much cheaper there too - four packs for $10....So...don't get them on Haute Look, because they're cheaper some place else. And don't get them (now) at Beauty Crunch either, because it seems like they have a lot of them and won't run out any time soon either....

Oh my- I just saw this thread and so happy to know I'm not alone in needing a support group with this.  I seriously thought I was the only one struggling in preventing myself from buying any more make up.  I'm an eye shadow and lippe junkie.  I decided not to buy any more z-palettes to prevent me from buying any more shadows. That's been helping a lot- when i see an empty space in my z-palette, I feel it looks sad..LOL!

Do you really need them?? And I mean, you probably have lots of similar stuff at home you could use instead of spending money. 

Be strong :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When I heard that beauty.com had the 20% off sale yesterday, I was so, so tempted to buy the UD foundation and the optical brush...buuuut, I looked through my stash, saw that I still have several foundations to get through, and I cleared out my cart. I only would have saved $11 bucks or something, and in the end, I decided that it wasn't worth it to buy something that I don't need at the moment, even if it would save me some money. Because if it ends up sitting there unused and goes bad, that's not really saving any money, is it?

When I heard that beauty.com had the 20% off sale yesterday, I was so, so tempted to buy the UD foundation and the optical brush...buuuut, I looked through my stash, saw that I still have several foundations to get through, and I cleared out my cart. I only would have saved $11 bucks or something, and in the end, I decided that it wasn't worth it to buy something that I don't need at the moment, even if it would save me some money. Because if it ends up sitting there unused and goes bad, that's not really saving any money, is it?
Nope, you are correct. That is NOT saving any money. The UD naked foundation is pretty wonderful though...but foundation is one of the few make up items I don't hoard and always finish before buying another....unless I don't like the product. Like the toofaced brush foundation thing I bought...I should just throw it out. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope, you are correct. That is NOT saving any money. The UD naked foundation is pretty wonderful though...but foundation is one of the few make up items I don't hoard and always finish before buying another....unless I don't like the product. Like the toofaced brush foundation thing I bought...I should just throw it out. 

Definitely don't want to hoard foundation! That'll just cause major issues/grief later lol. I haven't really deviated away from Revlon Photo Ready lol, want to keep some of my staples cheap and affordable to replace.

I still struggle with not buying stuff, but getting past the 'this is such a good deal' roadblock was the toughest. The fact that I didn't buy that stuff last night revealed that I am much better, but the fact that I had it in my cart and was seriously considering buying stuff I really don't need showed me that I am still not totally where I need to be. I was considering calling it the end of my no-buy because I'm about to hit 2 months, but I don't feel like I'm ready yet. And so it continues...

I still struggle with not buying stuff, but getting past the 'this is such a good deal' roadblock was the toughest. The fact that I didn't buy that stuff last night revealed that I am much better, but the fact that I had it in my cart and was seriously considering buying stuff I really don't need showed me that I am still not totally where I need to be. I was considering calling it the end of my no-buy because I'm about to hit 2 months, but I don't feel like I'm ready yet. And so it continues...
You are doing really amazing! I have been doing terrible this month and even last. I don't know what it is. I know I don't need ANY more make up at all, yet this week I've made about $300 worth of make up purchases. I'm not being entirely honest with myself, and I really need to get down to the root of the problem, because its not just make up that I buy. 

You are doing really amazing! I have been doing terrible this month and even last. I don't know what it is. I know I don't need ANY more make up at all, yet this week I've made about $300 worth of make up purchases. I'm not being entirely honest with myself, and I really need to get down to the root of the problem, because its not just make up that I buy. 
Do you find yourself just overshopping in general? I've been through phases, since turning 18 and trying to be an "independent and grown woman" lol..I moved out the day after I turned 18 and ended up dropping out of college to pay off my debts from credit cards... Lord, first it was paying out the butt to furnish my new place with anything and everything I could get my hands on..then it was clothes, shoes, whatever else...now make up lol..and I'm 27 now! I've learned to window shop again, but I'm struggling with the world of beauty products...sighs...

I'm getting better and I've not bought any makeup this month, but did buy some hair products...but I got a stinking good deal and came out way under budget..like super duper well...under $10! 

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you find yourself just overshopping in general? I've been through phases, since turning 18 and trying to be an "independent and grown woman" lol..I moved out the day after I turned 18 and ended up dropping out of college to pay off my debts from credit cards... Lord, first it was paying out the butt to furnish my new place with anything and everything I could get my hands on..then it was clothes, shoes, whatever else...now make up lol..and I'm 27 now! I've learned to window shop again, but I'm struggling with the world of beauty products...sighs...

I'm getting better and I've not bought any makeup this month, but did buy some hair products...but I got a stinking good deal and came out way under budget..like super duper well...under $10! 
Yeah, its an in general thing. Clothes, make up, housewares, food, anything and everything. I don't know why, and I really don't get ANYTHING out of it. I definitely need to find the root of the problem and deal with that or its never going to stop.

Yeah, its an in general thing. Clothes, make up, housewares, food, anything and everything. I don't know why, and I really don't get ANYTHING out of it. I definitely need to find the root of the problem and deal with that or its never going to stop.
Are you getting caught up in the "oo, it's new and shiny" feeling? I used to be that way..still am sometimes..and sales, lordy, don't get me started. I learned to keep tags on everything I'd buy and leave it in a pile, especially after a ridiculous spree. If I didn't rip off the tags and actually use the products/items/purchases within a week, I'd return them. I still find myself going through buyer's remorse every now and then, so thank goodness for great return policies!

So even though I still indulge and have those issues, that has become my little "trick" to working around it, when I find myself picking up things I don't really need or won't use. 

Back