August No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, its an in general thing. Clothes, make up, housewares, food, anything and everything. I don't know why, and I really don't get ANYTHING out of it. I definitely need to find the root of the problem and deal with that or its never going to stop.
Small steps are needed! One of the things that I did when I realized I was buying way more than I ever needed of (kitchen stuff, clothes, shoes, bags...) was to look around and see how much physical space I actually had. My place actually felt crowded - too many clothes, cluttered kitchen, too many shoes. I then decided for the sake of space, to get rid of stuff. For clothes and shoes, it was what I didn't wear, didn't fit (and I wasn't willing to get tailored), or was in sad shape. For the kitchen, it was anything decorative or a uni-tasker, or poor quality (gift, handme-downs, or from the college days). For beauty, it was colors I would never use and expiration dates.

The entire clean-up process took time (Which also means something to do, other than shop!). And honesty - what will I really use or need? I weighed the extra space and cleanliness against whether it was worth it to keep an item. Stuff that was returnable,  I returned. Stuff that was sell-able, got eBay-ed. I didn't do the garage sale route for the rest, but many people do. I donated to the Salvation Army and got a tax deduction. I got some money back in the exercise, but not nearly the amount that I should have not spent in the first place. I realized that those 2 or 3 on-sale 'meh' shirts really could have been 1 really nice shirt. I would save space, and like the product more. 

I've also learned to window shop and just browse again... to test and browse without feeling guilty, and to get an idea about what I really want. The product has to be just about perfect before it has the privilege of taking up space in my home. Set high standards for what you're going to keep, and ask if something deserves to be bought and let in you home. It's a tough road. Be strong, and take little steps. 

Originally Posted by tgooberbutt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Small steps are needed! One of the things that I did when I realized I was buying way more than I ever needed of (kitchen stuff, clothes, shoes, bags...) was to look around and see how much physical space I actually had. My place actually felt crowded - too many clothes, cluttered kitchen, too many shoes. I then decided for the sake of space, to get rid of stuff. For clothes and shoes, it was what I didn't wear, didn't fit (and I wasn't willing to get tailored), or was in sad shape. For the kitchen, it was anything decorative or a uni-tasker, or poor quality (gift, handme-downs, or from the college days). For beauty, it was colors I would never use and expiration dates.

The entire clean-up process took time (Which also means something to do, other than shop!). And honesty - what will I really use or need? I weighed the extra space and cleanliness against whether it was worth it to keep an item. Stuff that was returnable,  I returned. Stuff that was sell-able, got eBay-ed. I didn't do the garage sale route for the rest, but many people do. I donated to the Salvation Army and got a tax deduction. I got some money back in the exercise, but not nearly the amount that I should have not spent in the first place. I realized that those 2 or 3 on-sale 'meh' shirts really could have been 1 really nice shirt. I would save space, and like the product more. 

I've also learned to window shop and just browse again... to test and browse without feeling guilty, and to get an idea about what I really want. The product has to be just about perfect before it has the privilege of taking up space in my home. Set high standards for what you're going to keep, and ask if something deserves to be bought and let in you home. It's a tough road. Be strong, and take little steps. 

While this is all well and good, sound advice, my problem with shopping is unfortunately much more deeply rooted than just something I do in my spare time or something I do because something is new and pretty. I pretty much need a total life overhaul. 

You are doing really amazing! I have been doing terrible this month and even last. I don't know what it is. I know I don't need ANY more make up at all, yet this week I've made about $300 worth of make up purchases. I'm not being entirely honest with myself, and I really need to get down to the root of the problem, because its not just make up that I buy. 
Thanks! it's been really, really hard to not replace buying makeup with something else. I've purchased other stuff, but I haven't been crazy bad, so it's ok.

Yeah, its an in general thing. Clothes, make up, housewares, food, anything and everything. I don't know why, and I really don't get ANYTHING out of it. I definitely need to find the root of the problem and deal with that or its never going to stop.
Siiiigh. I know how that goes. I have moderate ADHD, and one of the side effects of that is I go through a period of mild compulsions, periods where I'm obsessed with certain items and I feel the need to buy them. For a while it was items from the Urban Outfitter's clearance section (very odd and specific lol), perfume, and it's been makeup for awhile now. Once you can pinpoint the cause of these urges and splurges and learn to control it (you usually need some help along the way, of course), it gets a lot better. 

I'm sooo happy to have to have found this forum!! None of my other friends are makeup junkies like me..

I have tons of makeup, but always wanting more. I actually do NEED.. moisturizer and there is the Lancome sale.. but i'm really really broke for next month already! Huge dental and vet expenses.. what I Need more then mositurizer is umm Food, lol.. ok i do , of course, have some moisturizer, i could use, its a bit rich, for me, but it'll work.. sigh.. but what I want.. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />..

Its hard, isn't it> not to mention, i' just found out that too faced eyeshadow exists!

So, i just blew the rest of my low buy and indulged in the Zoya sale.. :/ and :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> that's me... That was a moment of weakness. I'm excited to get my hands on more polish, but I didn't need any.. I'm still under my low buy budget(barely), but am feeling a little guilty. Otherwise, I've been passing on every opportunity to blow my budget. I'm hoping I'll stay strong and not indulge any more this month. I always seem to have issues towards the end of the month and sticking to my low buy plans... I did it the last two months and again this month..arggh!

While I shan't comment on what I may've bought recently, I *am* proud that I cleared out an entire plastic carrier bag (like from the grocery store?) of skin/hair/makeup products. My roommate is THRILLED right now, as she was organizing her vanity and realized that she was going to have to replace tons of stuff....not so much now lol

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While I shan't comment on what I may've bought recently, I *am* proud that I cleared out an entire plastic carrier bag (like from the grocery store?) of skin/hair/makeup products. My roommate is THRILLED right now, as she was organizing her vanity and realized that she was going to have to replace tons of stuff....not so much now lol
Nice! I made a goodie bag for a gf earlier this month, but didn't make a dent in my stash.. the Zoya purchase was my first "splurge" and online purchase for this month. So, I was doing pretty good about sticking to my budget, but had a setback. I might still be riding a Zoya high, since Charla is gleaming on my nails at me..lol

Sadly, I've decided that I MUST set new rules on myself (after realizing that, for example, I have about 15 different mascaras). Here's the amount I shall "allow" myself to "stockpile", once my hoard is depleted (which is definitely gonna take some time--I'm trying to stick to these guidelines before buying anything new even before the hoard is depleted, too). 

1. No more than 2 travel size and 2 full-size mascaras.

2. No more than 3 full size shampoos/conditioners.

3. No more than 2 full size body washes/scrubs (this does NOT include Philosophy 3in1, which I use as a bubble bath, anyway).

4. No color cosmetics that are in a shade that I already have, even if it is a different company (Seriously, HOW many purple eyeshadows does one woman need?).

5. No purchases of full size or deluxe size perfumes if I have ANY vial samples.

6. If I have found a HG of an item (such as my L'Oreal Elnett), I am NOT to PURCHASE any other brand. THAT is what samples are for. (I will make an exception for nail polish remover, though, since my HG remover is wicked expensive, in my book, and I change my manicure WAY too frequently.)

7. No purchasing something just because it is "the new hotness". If I already KNOW that I won't wear brown-based neutrals, there is NO point in buying the Naked 2 palette or one of its many duplicates.

8. Items from samplers take first priority of use, unless they are specifically being set aside for gifts for other people. If I have not used a sample within a month of receiving it, it must go into a goodie bag for someone else.

9. NO store brands, no matter how cheap they are--I don't mind drugstore stuff, but I've found that I NEVER get around to using ULTA or SEPHORA branded makeup, so I need to stop buying it, even as a filler to bump something up to free shipping.

10. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF I AM GETTING IT FOR FREE; if I won't use it, it's clutter, so I need to chill out (MAJORLY) on shopping full-size bargains.

Good rules...I just find myself going stir crazy towards the end of the month....just need to remember another sale will come around again.

I hit 60 days/2 months today! I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. I think that because I've done so well, I am going to reward myself in a small way. I've been lusting after Zoya Fei Fei and Frida for awhile now, so I'm going to indulge by picking up those two, and that's it. Those are the only two I want and like, so they're going to be where it stops. 

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hit 60 days/2 months today! I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. I think that because I've done so well, I am going to reward myself in a small way. I've been lusting after Zoya Fei Fei and Frida for awhile now, so I'm going to indulge by picking up those two, and that's it. Those are the only two I want and like, so they're going to be where it stops. 
Congratulations! Nicely done and great choice of awards lol. Are you going to try for another 60 days?

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congratulations! Nicely done and great choice of awards lol. Are you going to try for another 60 days?
Thanks! I think I will try for another 30 days, because my birthday is at the very end of September, and I want to give myself the option of picking up a little something if I want, you know? But who knows, there might not be anything that I am absolutely dying to have! So, if that's the case and I end up not wanting anything, I'll go 60 days. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks! I think I will try for another 30 days, because my birthday is at the very end of September, and I want to give myself the option of picking up a little something if I want, you know? But who knows, there might not be anything that I am absolutely dying to have! So, if that's the case and I end up not wanting anything, I'll go 60 days. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Good luck; I somehow get the feeling you'll do just fine lol. ;D

I also decided to throw in a few extra polishes, since my best friend's birthday was last week and I totally forgot and got her nothing! I figured this would be a cute, inexpensive present for her. 

I decided to try and not buy anything until Black Friday. I want to buy a new camera and I would also really like to indulge in the (possibly awesome) deals Sephora and Ulta will have this year. 

I've been good lately, didn't go too crazy. I did use the VIB coupon Sephora had for the month of August (everyone who's a VIB got that one, right?) and bought myself the Hourglass Opaque Rouge, but other than that I can't even remember the last thing I bought before that! Woot!

I bought another nail polish..and am going through my coupons to go back for more of a nice fall time display I saw at the drugstore..lol..Yeesh.. not good.

I know it's towards the end of August, but last night I was organizing my stash and realized I have toooo much stuff. For the rest of August I will NOT buy any nail polish, makeup or other types of cosmetics.

I'm even thinking of selling my "low-end" nail polish. My addiction to nail polish is out of control!

I made it through to August.. just calculated and I actually made it to 90 days exactly. And then I placed an order at Sephora.com since the VIBCLUTCH code was still good, and got 5 samples and double points, for a back-to-school pick-me-up (which was my endgame goal). And it's stuff I'll actually use too! A boar brush, tokidoki eyeshadow brush set, tokidoki nail polish, and makeup remover wipes.

I went on vacation for a good chunk of that time, and even managed to use up quite a bit of my stash. And I've been actually wearing makeup to school and out, so that's just helping me downsize.

I got a Lancome blush in the mail from Loreal as thanks for filling out a survey, which is cool because I've been thinking about buying a blush recently and now I don't have to.

I have been thinking about resubscribing to birchbox, but NO is winning out. It's fun getting stuff in the mail, but I still have stuff from BB that I haven't used, and I cancelled after June.

Damn sephora! 3 urban decay primer potions for $22, the older bottles. Who could resist that? Not me.

Back