Beauty Box 5 - March

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yay vegetarians!! I went vegan 4 years ago and have never felt better. I was vegetarian for 7 years prior and never realized how much I relied on processed cheeses and milk products in my diet. I was a picky eater too, but now I eat all sorts of weird veggies and fresh foods that I'd never eat before. Definitely have expanded my palette. 

Originally Posted by snllama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yay vegetarians!! I went vegan 4 years ago and have never felt better. I was vegetarian for 7 years prior and never realized how much I relied on processed cheeses and milk products in my diet. I was a picky eater too, but now I eat all sorts of weird veggies and fresh foods that I'd never eat before. Definitely have expanded my palette. 

yes for sure!! I never used to eat beans but now I am addicted. I'm sure you've been to amsterdam falafel in adams morgan?? That is pretty much my favorite place and I don't think I'd ever even had falafel before going veg. 

I'm not veg but I do eat veg often...and I agree, it really broadens your horizons.  (WHY DID YOU MENTION FALAFEL??  Now I am dying for a falafel pita with tzatziki and tomatoes and onions. NOM)

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not veg but I do eat veg often...and I agree, it really broadens your horizons.  (WHY DID YOU MENTION FALAFEL??  Now I am dying for a falafel pita with tzatziki and tomatoes and onions. NOM)
lol I know ITS BAD. This place by all the best bars in DC has HUGE falafel pitas and you put your own toppings on and its sooooooo good. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol I know ITS BAD. This place by all the best bars in DC has HUGE falafel pitas and you put your own toppings on and its sooooooo good. 

Yumm. I used to live next door to a pita place.  Now I live in a small town where my food options are fast food, bad steakhouse, burger joints, old people diners, chinese buffets, or decent mexican. SAD.  

Yumm. I used to live next door to a pita place.  Now I live in a small town where my food options are fast food, bad steakhouse, burger joints, old people diners, chinese buffets, or decent mexican. SAD.  

Oh man that sucks! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I spent a summer in Bloomington at IU and they had some great restaurants (the ethiopian was the best I've ever had, and we have an entire ethiopian neighborhood in DC...nothing compares), but I don't know how close you are to there. Probably not very...since Bloomington is in the middle of nowhere lol. 

LOL.  I have friends in Bloomington!  But I'm way up north, about a 2.5 hour drive. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh man that sucks! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I spent a summer in Bloomington at IU and they had some great restaurants (the ethiopian was the best I've ever had, and we have an entire ethiopian neighborhood in DC...nothing compares), but I don't know how close you are to there. Probably not very...since Bloomington is in the middle of nowhere lol. 

LOL.  I have friends in Bloomington!  But I'm way up north, about a 2.5 hour drive. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bummer, lol. My exboyfriend is from the South Bend-ish area, but that is also no where near you ahaha. Those are the only Indiana places I know. :p 

yes for sure!! I never used to eat beans but now I am addicted. I'm sure you've been to amsterdam falafel in adams morgan?? That is pretty much my favorite place and I don't think I'd ever even had falafel before going veg. 
would you believe that I havent. I dont go out often to adams morgan and never would end up there on a regular day. But I've heard it is heavenly. My favorite was Maoz Vegetarian, it was right near my work and I was a regular. Super sad they closed. 

I may be moving to Cleveland Park, so once that happens I may need to stroll up to Adams Morgan to try out Amsterdam. 

I have to say though that I dont like any of the ethiopian food here! I've been to a couple of places and nothing beats this ethiopian restaurant back in Milwaukee. I crave it!

would you believe that I havent. I dont go out often to adams morgan and never would end up there on a regular day. But I've heard it is heavenly. My favorite was Maoz Vegetarian, it was right near my work and I was a regular. Super sad they closed. 

I may be moving to Cleveland Park, so once that happens I may need to stroll up to Adams Morgan to try out Amsterdam. 

I have to say though that I dont like any of the ethiopian food here! I've been to a couple of places and nothing beats this ethiopian restaurant back in Milwaukee. I crave it!
Are you a midwest transplant to? I'm from Michigan originally. I might be moving to Van Ness/Cleveland Park area if things work out how I want them too, haha, its so nice down there! But yes, definitely make your way to amsterdam falafel if you get the chance! I do love adams morgan bars though, which should probably be embarrassing but it isn't. 

Are you a midwest transplant to? I'm from Michigan originally. I might be moving to Van Ness/Cleveland Park area if things work out how I want them too, haha, its so nice down there! But yes, definitely make your way to amsterdam falafel if you get the chance! I do love adams morgan bars though, which should probably be embarrassing but it isn't. 
yup! Im from Chicago. The only reason I dont want to go back is I dont have a car and my family lives in the suburbs, so that'd be annoying. But my aunt lives in cleveland park and it is really is a nice area. We may be neighbors, lol.

yup! Im from Chicago. The only reason I dont want to go back is I dont have a car and my family lives in the suburbs, so that'd be annoying. But my aunt lives in cleveland park and it is really is a nice area. We may be neighbors, lol.
haha, that would be crazy! My lease here isn't up until August and I'm hesitant to move away from my job, but I want to actually LIVE in DC, so I think I would put up with the commute. 

My husband is from another country, so he is always trying to expand my palate. I tried mangosteen for the first time--delicious, ugly fruit. You can only eat the very inside. If you ever get a chance to visit a Native Foods restaurant, their vegan food is amazing. I am not a vegan or even a real vegetarian (I eat fist, seafood, dairy, eggs), but it's my favorite restaurant. I don't think they are in the midwest yet though. Oops, sorry off-topic.

They are! They have three locations in Chicago, which is where I am from. Next time I am home I really want to go. I've heard amazing things about them! And all the meals that food blogs post from there look divine.

They are! They have three locations in Chicago, which is where I am from. Next time I am home I really want to go. I've heard amazing things about them! And all the meals that food blogs post from there look divine.
The Ensalada Azteca is amazing! Pumpkin seeds, quinoa, currants, avocado, jicama, mango lime dressing...

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Ensalada Azteca is amazing! Pumpkin seeds, quinoa, currants, avocado, jicama, mango lime dressing...

Speaking of quinoa, do any of you vegans/vegetarians/people who like healthy foods, have a brand of quinoa you extra love? It's the new healthy food I'm going to try to work into my everyday diet. 

I don't know a brand, but those quinoa patties you find at Whole Foods are really good. If you add a little sea salt + kelp, they taste like crab cakes, too. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

So I just tried that Mango Milk hair treatment, and I love it - my hair is super super shiny today.

I do believe it's sold at RiteAid, not entirely sure about Walgreens and I think it's also available at Walmart.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I just tried that Mango Milk hair treatment, and I love it - my hair is super super shiny today.
I do believe it's sold at RiteAid, not entirely sure about Walgreens and I think it's also available at Walmart.

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to look for it - it's hard to find more natural products that my hair actually likes.

Back