Best and worse skincare line/products

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could find a good daily moisturizer for dry skin that works will with mineral make-up. I am having a problem finding a good combination...

Best - Avon Clearskin Correct and fade peel pads - Cheap and work so good.

Worse -Loreal Eye MU remover - Made my eyes red raw and and swelled up.

pro activ...i wear. the next day....i was scratching my face!!! rashes! -worse-

this one soap bar "sulphur soap" -Good- and cheap

I'm hispanic with olive skin tone and oily prone/ance skin type. It's hard to find products that don't test on animals because most of the common ones do.

The worst:

Clinique 3 step- a little too harsh and irritates a lot

Proactive- did not even work a little

The best-

Right now I've been using a lot of natural products lately and it's been working out for me. I've been using castor and grapeseed oil for my oily skin and I've been using burts bees tea tree oil thing that stings the crap out of my face bu reduces the crap out of the blemish but it dries out my skin. I've also been using a lot of the Mint Julep masl and it has been working for me. My face is pretty dry right now and it's because of the BP and the burts bees thing. I've been also using this face mask by Herbal Life, it's the clarifying mask, and it's very natural and hydrating. I would just suggest using natural products and making your skin care. As for an exfloliator honey and brown sugar is good. Witch hazel is a good toner and aloe vera is a good moisterizer. I mean it's not for every one but sticking to your routine is key. I would also recommend Aquafina hydrating face mist, so good. Way cheaper than that damn Evian and it's the same crap. I also live by honey, so try doing a honey mask every once in while.

Oh and I'm 21 so you guys know my age.

All I can say is that this thread SAVED me!

I was just about to try some samples I have of the clinque line but not after hearing all those reviews on it. thanks everyone!

Worst- Probably Cetaphil. Did absolutley nothing for me. Haven't really tried anything terrible though. Only 15 so my experimenting is just beginning
wink.gif

Best-Neutrogena Deep Clean, but it's kinda just like a default for me. I try something and if I don't like it, I go back to this. I'd REALLY like to try Aveeno sometime since I have a sample of this Positively Radiant one. They even have a whole line for skin brightening and blemishes. So right now I'm looking at their website, and determening what products I want [:

I'm a very young-looking 53 (thanks to the luck of good genes much more than to a good skincare routine). My skin is normal-to-dry, slight T-zone, very occasional breakouts, usually triggered by stress.

I've had good luck with Dr. Denese skincare. I love the Philosophy Microdelivery Peel - leaves my skin incredibly clear, soft, and healthy-looking.

I used Principal Secret about 10 years ago and really liked it then. I might try it again if it's still available.

I also liked Peter Thomas Roth products, although I had to choose the milder products as many of them have too-high concentrations of exfoliating acids for my sensiitve skin.

The St. Ives apricot scrub for sensitive skin worked okay for me (not great); their regular scrub is way too rough to be used on facial skin.

I got an 11-piece travel-size set of Arbonne after hearing good things about it so I could try out the majority of their products. Unfortunately, they did nothing for my skin and I disliked the smell and texture of the products.

Maggie

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but i'm curious of what is everyone's favorite and least favorite skincare line or products you have used...

I'm 14, BTW! =)

Best: Proactive - It's the only thing that clear up my skin, I've been using it for three years now! =)

Nuetrogena Rapid Clear - I only use the lotion, but it's freakin' SWEET.

St. Ives - Last year, the winter dried out my skin SO BAD. It was flakey, everywheeeere. =( St. Ives' Apricot Scrub is the only thing to clear my skin without being too rough. It's texture WAS rough, but this helped smooth my skin out, while the cream part of the scrub wasn't drying at all. It didn't flare up my acne, either.

Garnier Nutritioniste - The only "normal" set of products I can get from walmart that don't break me out. (By normal, I mean not for acne.) Their Skin Renew Serum is thick enough to use alone as a moisturizer, yet is absorbed really fast. And it leaves my skin feeling soooooo smooooooth for a really long time. I also use their wipes to remove make up, they're great. =)

Worst: Clinique's Three Step System - Oh my god. I'd rather wash, tone, and moisturize my face with a nice .32 oz bottle of ALCOHOL. I really can't say anything beyond that. I love their make up, but I absolutely hate their skincare line. This one, at least.

That's all. Luckily, right after trying Clinique my mom switched me onto proactive. EPIC WIN!

for me i prefer using bodyshop products...and netrogena....they work good for sensitive skin.....no.7 was a no no for me

best and worst? okay. i'm 29 and there are still products i list here that don't work when i re try them.

....clinique wasn't horrible for me. it just could have worked a bit better! it DID help. I used it as a teen. The soap in the box works best, the rest seemed almost useless.

great:

1.) pro activ...go lightly it's a bit harsh but it works great

2.) retin-a...same as above but with more caution NOT for sensitive skin types.

3.) plain old noxzema body wash. it's great!

4.) I once had some stuff called nature's cure. It is pills and a cream you get together at the pharmacy. It doesn't work perfect but it's not too shabby!

lousy...not so good products

1.) neutrogena. does that smelly brown goo work on ANYONE? I used it for months as a teen and it looked like i'd used nothing at all. Even my husband says it doesn't work for him at all.

2.) Witch Hazel. Why does anyone still give the tired old yarn about it clearing breakouts? it did not work for me....and trhough very inexpensive it simply left my face with a fine oily sheen for twenty minutes every morning when i was a teen.

3.) Avon. I once trusted it and bought it all the time but more for DRY skin instead of clearing up breakouts. I did have some gel once from them that worked allright for clearing up skin. They are probably listed on here as one of my favorite product brands. As of last year, omg, never again! I have "no known allergies" and since last fall if I use lotion or anything at all by avon i break out into an itchy red rash! ew!

4.)oxy pads. do they even still make those? a fresh zing on your face while you wipe away oil and dirt. It works but is highly ineffective, may as well be buying it for the sensation of using it or for a fresh/ cool/medicine-y scent on your face. They actually did work somewhat, that's why i am listing them as fourth worst.

I think different products work great for different people...we all have different skin and chemicals in our bodies so it's only proper.

If you haven't heard of this already, get some vitamin E suppliments. They are supposed to work for skin problems across the board. helped me but unlike ANYONE else I know, i'd get a weird aftertaste in my mouth if I took them.

Oh and if you're into herbal lotions and products...I agree with Xmaself55... tea tree is awesome for the skin. Patchouli products are great for your skin too.

mint /peppermint is great for your skin, your hair and for soft feet.

Originally Posted by mannangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif It blows my mind how people just don't listen. The purewater.page.tl site is no longer in existence. Everyone is being poisoned and they love it! Well folks, that's how advertising works.
I use a skin care system that is made from pure water and it's wonderful for men and woman, oily or dry skin and everything in between and it DOESN'T cause acne. It's for EVERY skin type out there and for a line of 7 products that cost around $300, it's the BEST one on world market of skin care products and you can't buy it in a store! It's the only one like it in the world and there is only one company that makes it.

Sorry, I can't give the name out. It's a secret.

The name of these fabulous products is a secret? That seems like a strange marketing technique to me.
Are you affiliated with this company?

Best:

Avene(Spf50 lotion works great )

Boots(cleanse&care makeup remover,green clay mask)

Alpha Hydrox(12% glycolic cream,10% lotion)

Frownies

Aubrey organics(shampoo for dry hair,rose seed hip oil)

OCM(olive oil light,castor oil,rose oil)

Kanebo(silk peeling powder)

Alba botanica(lotion with AHA for very dry skin)

Worst:

Cetaphil(cream ,cleanser-irritated my skin)

Burt's Bees(too heavy and too much fragrance)

Clarins(too much fragrance)

Noxema(too drying)

Medium:

Anne Marie Borlind(sensitive skin cream irritated my skin,but i love her rose cleansing cream)

Weleda(i love their arnica oil,hated skin food-too much fragrance,iris cream-too heavy)

Worst: Clinique 3 step. I tried everything and it felt like my skin was on fire. The toner was the worse. My face went red.

Best: I really like RoC Endyrial skin cleanser and face moisturizer. Also Vichy Aqualia Thermal moisturizer. I have sensitive skin and these products work well for me.

Whoever was asking about moisturiser for MMU - I like plain emu oil, and most of Sarafina's products. And some people swear by GoW, and some like squalene, or camellia oil - depends on your skin type - and hydrosols are a must for most of us with MMU. Sarafina and GoW aren't big brand names, but they won't break the bank and it's good stuff, plus Sarafina offers generous size sample packs of five products for $4 - hard to beat.

I usually just use handmade goat's milk soap (there's a commercial brand here, can't remember the name of it, but they don't let it cure properly and it feels really slimey), or handmade hempseed oil and shea butter soap, plus hemp oil and shea butter cream for eczema and dry skin - found some on ebay for like $3 per jar, before that it was oatmeal poultices (mine) and emu oil - which also works for eczema, but I like the cream better for all over - smells nicer, less mess, way more convenient. I've used homemade soaps pretty much forever, with lots of glycerin.

I like Sarafina's stuff, but it's pretty mild, too. It seems like the simpler the better for skin care - for me, anyway, or maybe I'm just too lazy to go in for a big routine. Plus I've been allergic to just about every 'wonder treatment' I've tried, so I just stick to basics.

I haven't found one yet that i can say it is the best.

Bad ones are:

Clinique

Murad

DDF

all these dried me out and irritated my skin.

i don't really have a least favorite but love/adore Garnier products not only face but also hair!

i use Garnier PureA it really leave my face felling well moisturized and extreamly clean and fresh it has menthol that helps control my oily skin and also freshens it, also the smell of the products is fantastic i really recommend it to anyone that has oily skin i have tried many products but none worth remembering

and for my hands i use Biotherm's Biomains hand and nail treatment SPF8 really leaves my hands great and unlike others i don't feel my hands sticky after i use it

the worst stuff i've tried was something by clearasil. it made my face look 10x worse than it would if i was using nothing. i use proactive now and it's worked pretty good for the most part. i'm just scared to switch and have a horrible breakout. :[

Back