Birchbox April 2015 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an email out to BB customer service on this one, but I am totally baffled.

My box arrived and I used the Whish body butter in blueberry that was included. The card said body butter, it was body butter in the box...but when I went to review it, BB says they sent me shave cream.

I can certainly review the scent, but it seems misleading to review the body butter in the shave cream section, but that is the only way I get the points.

I hope customer service sorts this one out. Ugh.

I want to review this one too, because all day I could not figure out what the smell reminds me of. It was driving me a little nutty.

I finally figured it out! It smells like liquid amoxicillin. You know, the pink stuff you have to force down your kids when they are sick and need an antibiotic? Smells exactly like that! Speaking as a mother, it is not a calming, happy scent. I have worn it involuntarily a few too many times, LOL. 
They replied saying it was a website error. It looks like it may be fixed and if so, I am on track to review the right item and get my points. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh no! Sorry about that. I'm sure they will send you a replacement soon. You should try this eye shadow, the texture is so soft and it's highly pigmented ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I received one in each of my two boxes, they were sealed and luckily safe.

I am wondering if these damaged eye shadows (I also saw a lot on Facebook) were damaged before they were placed in the boxes? It seems too difficult to get them damaged this badly en route without damaging the pillow box (in which the shadow was in my cases) and/or the boxes in general.

Was your pillow box/outer box damaged too? Was the eye shadow still sealed?
Thanks! I just emailed them this morning about it, and I'm an ace on that account too so hopefully I'll hear from them soon.  I got these shadows in another box so I was able to try them, I like them but I think they'll work a little better for me when I'm rocking a bit of a tan from the beach!  They tend to be a little too shimmery for me, but they are really pretty.  

Both of my shadows were sealed and in the pillow packs and neither pillow pack appeared damaged.

I kinda hope they just give me some points rather than sending a replacement or a replacement box, since I just got a discount code on that account. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Thanks! I just emailed them this morning about it, and I'm an ace on that account too so hopefully I'll hear from them soon.  I got these shadows in another box so I was able to try them, I like them but I think they'll work a little better for me when I'm rocking a bit of a tan from the beach!  They tend to be a little too shimmery for me, but they are really pretty.  

Both of my shadows were sealed and in the pillow packs and neither pillow pack appeared damaged.

I kinda hope they just give me some points rather than sending a replacement or a replacement box, since I just got a discount code on that account. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hope you will get both points and the replacement box ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I like the lightest shade as highlighter, but it requires a light hand since as you said it's a bit too shimmery.

I think whoever is packing boxes is not paying much attention to the items if they are broken or empty. I feel like the amount of empty/broken samples increased in the past few months or maybe more people started to post online.

What are you planning to get with your discount code?

Hope you will get both points and the replacement box ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I like the lightest shade as highlighter, but it requires a light hand since as you said it's a bit too shimmery.

I think whoever is packing boxes is not paying much attention to the items if they are broken or empty. I feel like the amount of empty/broken samples increased in the past few months or maybe more people started to post online.

What are you planning to get with your discount code?
They replied that they're sending a replacement for the shadows. Oh well I can always give it to my sister.

Hmmm the discount code I'm not sure yet! 

It's been an interesting Birchbox day in my house. 

1. I finally received a replacement for a damaged item from my husband's March (yes, March) box. However, the replacement wasn't the actual item that needed replacing. There was also a random pack of tea in the box, which I didn't even know they did with Men's stuff. I called CS, and it has been sorted. We were amused.

2. I received my April box. The Rifle Paper box is beautiful. The meh Beaver products will go into the TSA approved travel pile. The Jane Iredale sample is tiny, but I like it a lot! The product is lovely, the pink color is great, and the scent is nice. The dumb Harvey Prince is going up for swap. The La Fresh sample wasn't even two wipes...just one! That seems suuuuper sketchy to me since that is just a single foil sample, but I've already called Birchbox CS today. Le sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. I finally received a replacement for a damaged item from my husband's March (yes, March) box. However, the replacement wasn't the actual item that needed replacing. There was also a random pack of tea in the box, which I didn't even know they did with Men's stuff. I called CS, and it has been sorted. We were amused.

2. I received my April box. The Rifle Paper box is beautiful. The meh Beaver products will go into the TSA approved travel pile. The Jane Iredale sample is tiny, but I like it a lot! The product is lovely, the pink color is great, and the scent is nice. The dumb Harvey Prince is going up for swap. The La Fresh sample wasn't even two wipes...just one! That seems suuuuper sketchy to me since that is just a single foil sample, but I've already called Birchbox CS today. Le sigh.
I am getting that same box. I think from now on I'm doing only curated. It seems like BB spent so much money promoting the Mad Men boxes that they had to recoup their losses by sending out tons of crappy samples. 

I received the order I placed on the cats' account to clear points prior to closing out the account before I received my April box on that account. According to the tracking number, that box is currently 'out for delivery'..one town over.

I hope it makes it over this way eventually, I REALLY want the RPC box, even though I'm 'meh' about what's inside...

It's interesting. My Jane Iredale lippy does not give any color at all and the smell is too faint. I wonder if we got the same shade. Mine looks orange-ish out of the tube. But it's too difficult to get any product on my lips, I just have to keep rubbing :/

Has anyone noticed that it looks like you no longer get points for sharing your box on Facebook or Twitter? The links are still there but it doesn't say anything about getting points, so I'm assuming that was a short-lived perk?

Has anyone noticed that it looks like you no longer get points for sharing your box on Facebook or Twitter? The links are still there but it doesn't say anything about getting points, so I'm assuming that was a short-lived perk?
I did notice that. I emailed. They said they are still doing the promotion, and that it must be my fault. They also condescendingly explained how to share a box on FB (after I told them I shared it several times on different browsers). I responded asking for the issue to be escalated to IT since it doesn't work on IE or Chrome, and they never replied back. 

They were very clear that the promotion is still ongoing. Who knows?

Looks like I should have just tested it first. Just tweeted out the link and instantly received the ten points. Now I'm only 32 points from 400 on an account I was planning on canceling this month. Or do I get one more month to get above 400? Decisions, decisions... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I shared through Twitter today and got the 10 points.  

I am not a happy birchboxee @ the moment. While my box wasn't supposed to be amazing - hell, I was due to receive three lotions! - I was excited to try the Jouer tint (my PYS) intrigued to see what the POP shadows would be like, & decently interested in giving two of my three lotions a go.

Imagine my shock when I opened my box today to find NONE of what I was expecting but an entirely different box altogether...one that quite frankly made my supposed-to-have-received box seem incredible.

The box I actually received included:

Beaver shampoo & conditioner

La Fresh Body Soother wipe

Harvey Prince Hello lotion

Jane Iredale tint

I am none too pleased. And no, I didn't use the cheat; my online "box" still shows what I thought I would be receiving.

I emailed CS a polite yet firm note voicing my disappointment.

I also want to make sure my account is accurate re: what did show up in my mailbox so that I don't get any of these "goodies" again.

This is what I get for having sent a nothing- but- thanks- I'm-super-impressed-with-BB-CS yesterday after they remedied a defective beauty blender I'd received last week w/ an overnight replacement less than 24hrs after I contacted them.

I have to keep reminding myself how ahead I came out w/ that since only one blender was defective (a large hole in it right out of the package) & they sent a replacement duo.

Best case scenario they'll send the box I was supposed to receive but I'll be okay as long as they send me the Jouer, since that was my PYS. Especially if I get another pretty box out if it. We shall see.

Or if they want to give me 500 PYS I suppose I'd be ok w/ that also:).

P.S. Honesty be damned I did rush to "review" all the items on my account that I didn't receive so I at least get the extra points if their fix is to just change what appears online. I'm not embarrassed to admit I actually did that before I even emailed....just in case the items somehow changed at that very moment!

Last edited by a moderator:
They messed up my order when I bought the upgrade for the 20$ extra so they charged me but they said it was still saying I was supposed to get a normal box :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So I got a box today with

Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream

POP Beauty POP Portfolio Eyeshadow Palette

Real Chemistry Luminous 3-Minute Peel

Obliphica Intensive Hair Serum

jane iredale Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain (PYS)

which is super disapointing when you spend $30 on a box. I called customer service on Friday and they are "looking into it" and I should "rest assured knowing they will track down my extra two items". I will call again in a few minutes if the lines are still open and see since I have recieved no follow up email about my items! (Oh and I got 50 points for the repeat shave cream sample but NOTHING for this error, for those wondering)

FOLLOW UP: no one reponded (the message said no one was available then it hung up on me so they werent closed yet, thats a different message that you get if you call now) when I called at 2:40pm PT so I emailed back the person who said they would follow up friday. If I get news I will post. I'm normally so happy with Birchbox's customer service! This time not so much :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Got an email this morning that I received 100 points to my account for the issue and they are sending me my two full size items through the mail separately! My upgraded box two full size items are Smith & Cult Nailed Lacquer - Pillow Pie and Lord & Berry Alchimia Definition Mascara! Not quite two items that I needed but hey, the value is nice!

Worked for me today on Twitter but not Facebook.

Finally got my April box!
The actual box is absolutely beautiful. I switched all my lipsticks from a vanity into this so I can pull it out easily and sort through for the right color. 

I LOVE the Jane Iredale tint, which was my PYS. I don't think they should call it a "stain" but it leaves a super pretty strawberry color on my lips that's perfect for no-makeup makeup days. I think I'm in the minority of liking the Whish blueberry scent, but I don't think it's much better than any other shaving cream I've used. The POP shadow will be gifted, and I haven't had a chance to try the Obliphica serum yet, but it smells good! OH and the Real Chemistry peel - JESUS CHRISTMAS THAT WORKS SO WELL. 

I feel bad for complaining early on because I ended up liking everything and feel for ya'll that got the beaver stuff.  :scared:

Worked for me today on Twitter but not Facebook.

Me too. I noticed this 2 months ago and e-mailed them about it but never got a reply. I only get points for Twitter.

Back