Birchbox August 2014 - Spoilers!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Stainiac all the time and have never had a problem like that. With a thin layer, it dries/absorbs quickly, and it doesn't sting at all on me. Maybe there's some ingredient that you are sensitive to in there that you haven't encountered before? Also, I think new allergies can develop without warning, so it could be that. That sounds really unpleasant!
It's true. I went to the ER once because I had hives, swollen eyelids and trouble breathing after sleeping in freshly laundered blankets and it was the new detergent. Never was allergic to anything before! They said new allergies can develop anytime and a lot of times people never find out what they are allergic to.

Stainiac?????

Got my box today and was so excited to try my sample (wasn't so thrilled to also get the bronzed sample..ugh) but the strangest thing happened. It made my lips NUMB!!! I have no allergies and have never had a reaction to any kind of product ever.

I never used a stain...and didn't really like it if the product was doing what it was supposed to. It was a gel that would slide around my lips and not seem to soak in, couldn't make a thin layer.... But the tingling started and grew worse and worse within minutes until my lips were buzzing with a numbness feeling. I washed my lips and the feeling took about 10 minutes before it went away. I'm not talking about stinging like my lips were dry or cracked....it was strong...like I thought it might be topical lidocaine. It really freaked me out.

Anyone know anything about this..?
Oddly enough I had a very similar reaction to the stainiac when I sampled it several months back. They went numb, I started feeling a bit nauceous/ill feeling as well. Not a great feeling but glad not an emergency room visit. I had a similar response to some duo chrome avon lipgloss and had to chuck it. I wish I knew what it was that set me off...

I went in to sephora and tried the Pushup liner on my hand, horrible application and lots of black flakes. I thought it must of dried out on the top so I twisted out more product, nope just the same. The girl working there said it's just like that.

Adding: I typically love benefit products.. Just... Love them. I've been thinking about trying to contact benefit directly anyways because they've been disappointing me in more ways than one. And I have a ridiculous amount of their products... So so so many.. I really like the idea of the push up liner, so I want a real go at it that isn't so absolutely ridiculous.

Who knows. I'm just so sad it was so terrible!

I haven't used the everygirl mini sample yet, but I went in to Sephora about a month ago and swatched it. One of the employees offered to show me how to use it, and she did one eye and I (after  lots of patience on her part) managed to do the other eye. It dries quickly and doesn't transfer on my slightly hooded eyelids. It's not amazing; it basically saves you the hassle of dipping a brush into a pot of eyeliner. If that's something you want to be saved from, you'll love it. I want some for my travel bag. I really like the liner but am holding out for a good sale or Ulta GWP or something like that.

I had chosen to get the Jouer shadow added on. I got a box today with a card extolling the virtues of Jouer...and a little canvas pouch containing a blue rhinestone necklace. It's a pretty necklace but I paid an extra $30 for shadow! Not sure what to do...I was really looking forward to the Jouer!
Haaa! You got my necklace & i got your eye shadow! This happened to me but I was to get the necklace & got the Jouer. I emailed customer service & they sent me a return label to send back the shadow, are sending out my necklace & added 100 sorry points to my account :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Adding: I typically love benefit products.. Just... Love them. I've been thinking about trying to contact benefit directly anyways because they've been disappointing me in more ways than one. And I have a ridiculous amount of their products... So so so many.. I really like the idea of the push up liner, so I want a real go at it that isn't so absolutely ridiculous.

Who knows. I'm just so sad it was so terrible!
Usually I LOVE Benefit stuff... but this liner has made me cranky.  I was hoping to find a (slightly) less expensive version of my precious Kat Von D Tattoo Liner, but this is just awful.  I got the BB size sample, and had to fight with the darn thing to get any product out.  Then I had to deal with all the flaking and craziness just to get the liner right, and basically the sample just convinced me NOT to buy it.  Which is a shame, because my cousin's fiance bought it and somehow she makes it look amazing and simple.  Maybe the full size is *that* much better?

ETA for using the word "just" about a million times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a weird thing happen, on the off chance this happened to you too let me know. I love the Harvey Prince Hello scent so I bought the full size body wash in the Birchbox shop. Opened it, used it, then went out of town for a week. I came back and noticed the wash had been dripping out of the nozzle the whole time, and got all over the bottle. The only way I can get it to stop is to waste more, by locking the pump. I'm going to contact Birchbox, but I'm wondering if the bottles were all faulty, or just mine. So weird, and super annoying.
Whenever I go to lock the top of a bottle like that, I completely remove the nozzle from the bottle and hover the pump over the bottle itself when I push it down to lock it. That way, the product already in the tube will squirt back into the bottle instead of me having to totally waste it. I know this doesn't totally solve your problem, but hope it helps!

Usually I LOVE Benefit stuff... but this liner has made me cranky. I was hoping to find a (slightly) less expensive version of my precious Kat Von D Tattoo Liner, but this is just awful. I got the BB size sample, and had to fight with the darn thing to get any product out. Then I had to deal with all the flaking and craziness just to get the liner right, and basically the sample just convinced me NOT to buy it. Which is a shame, because my cousin's fiance bought it and somehow she makes it look amazing and simple. Maybe the full size is *that* much better?

ETA for using the word "just" about a million times.
They had the tattoo liners in a 3 pack at tj max for $6.99 yesterday. The Benefit liner samples don't do the product justice.

My TJ Maxx never has cool stuff like that!  Thankfully I still have a backup, but that might be a splurge once the backup runs out!

I got my box a few days ago.

The LG eye shadow cream is okay, but I'm not planning on buying it. It is way more silver/shimmery sheer than I was expecting. I tried building it up in layers and it just looked silver on me. I think my expectations were too high, I thought it would be one of those colors that looks so different in light/dark, that it could be a highlight and a crease color. But I ended up using it as eye shadow primer for a silvery look with my Naked 2 palette. It was okay. I'm glad I tried it, because it sounded so good and now I know I don' want it.

I got the invigorating masque, and it was interesting. I was slightly worried with the peppermint, but it went on creamy-feeling, and I used my Clarisonic on top of it. Boy, the color is weird. Am I the only one who is weirded out by the whitish translucent gel? It worked well. I will use up the sample for sure.

I'm not going to use the shampoo or conditioner, because I am SLS free.

I haven't even smelled the Harvey Prince body lotion, yet, because I had an allergic reaction to a newish perfume oil, and I am waiting for that to calm down before I use anything fragranced, just in case. It's not too bad a reaction. I just have uncomfortable unsightly armpits for a while. Sorry for TMI.

They were intermingled with the elf and the packaging would make it easy to miss. I was in search of my husbands shave gel, since I am about to make a bb order but it's cheaper there even with 30% off.

That benefit eyeliner sample sucked. I chalked it up to the sample being crappy but I went to Ulta with my birchbox bestie today and the full sized sucked too, too hard to manuever and it took too much work to build up to a solid black compared to other eyeliner's I've used. Even the Benefit girl at the counter was like "there's no way I would recommend it, I use Urban Decay's liquid eyeliner pen." I found that hilarious because there was TONS of marketing for it over in the Benefit section.  :lol:

Its not awful if you're ok with working with the gel to build it up, but to me its no where near as "newbie" friendly as Stila's or UD's.

I don't wash with shampoo - six months ago or so I went to co-washing with Suave.  But years ago, my hairdresser gave me a hair dye tip to keep your ends from getting over-processed if you use the same color every time.  First, you put the color all at the roots and few inches out, until there isn't any more color when you squeeze the bottle.  Leave it just there until the last 10 minutes.  (I have very resistant gray and leave it there for 30-35 min, even though the bottle says 25 minutes and then check every 5.)  Then add about a tablespoonful of shampoo to the bottle, fill about half way up with warm water, and shake the bottle to mix in all the color that clung to the inside.  Apply that all over your hair - root to tip - and massage a little like shampoo, then leave on for the last 10 minutes before rinsing it all out.  This limits the exposure of the ends to the dye, so you don't end up with the ends being several shades darker and much drier than the hair closer to your scalp.  You're also less likely to miss spots.  (Few months ago when my hair dresser was cutting my hair and said he'd hire me to do color in a second, I reminded him he'd given me this secret!)

I just ran out of the shampoo I use for that purpose on my last dye job.  The George sample kept me from having to buy a whole new bottle.  =)

So I signed up for a second box at the end of July thinking my first box would be August. They ended up sending me a July box anyway, which I think was just a generic/left over box as I saw everyone on instagram getting the same one at that point. I was slightly annoyed, but whatever. It probably states something along those lines in the facts that I didn't read. On the 11th I emailed Birchbox because I didn't have a tracking number or box page and they responded by saying my box wouldn't ship until the 15th. Um, ok? I thought after your first box they go on schedule to be out by the 10th. Well, it's now the 16th and I still have no tracking or page updates. Has this happened to anyone else before?

I just had a weird thing happen, on the off chance this happened to you too let me know. I love the Harvey Prince Hello scent so I bought the full size body wash in the Birchbox shop. Opened it, used it, then went out of town for a week. I came back and noticed the wash had been dripping out of the nozzle the whole time, and got all over the bottle. The only way I can get it to stop is to waste more, by locking the pump. I'm going to contact Birchbox, but I'm wondering if the bottles were all faulty, or just mine. So weird, and super annoying.
Try loosening the screw cap part of the pump a little bit.  We have bottles at work that if you screw the cap on too tight they will leak from the tip of the pump.  It is some sort of weird pressure thing.  Hopefully something simple works!

Thanks everyone for the ideas about my problem Harvey Prince body wash pump, I will try them and see if I can fix it somehow.

Regarding the Benefit liner, I specifically didn't pick the Everygirl box because it was in there. I can't remember whose review I saw before it launched, but I saw someone do a review and they didn't like it and wouldn't recommend it. Glad I didn't get it, and I have no interest in trying it either, especially after reading everyone's dislike of it.

I got my box yesterday, and after being meh when I saw my box contents online, I actually ended up really liking my box. I got the Stainiac I selected, They're Real which I like, the Key West Aloe Lotion in Mango which smells really yummy, a perfume (which I'm still meh about), and an Acure face scrub which did not show up online and really made my box much more appealing.

Latest posts

Back