Birchbox August 2014 - Spoilers!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to review my Birchbox but it still hasn't arrived.  I have two accounts... one I picked the bronzer and another I picked the everyday girl box.  Well, the account where I picked the bronzer arrived with the eyeshadow instead almost 10 days ago.  My Everyday girl box still isn't here and shipped on the 7th!  I let Birchbox know about the bronzer issue and they are just sending me a separate package with just the bronzer in it.  If it wasn't for the awesome points system, I'm cancel both my accounts, instead of just the one I'm going to close here in a minute... as soon as my box arrives and I can use up the points in it.

Follow up: I sent Birchbox and email about my missing box and they are shipping me another one... but it WONT be the Everyday Girl box. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  What the heck??

I am very impressed with Birchbox so far, and I haven't even tried any of the products yet (well, actually, I sprayed the perfume).  I subbed on 8/11, but I wasn't able to use to promo code for new subscribers for the Every Girl box because I used the guilt city voucher, so I emailed them and asked if I would still be able to get in on the box.  The lady that responded said she would put my preferences in, but wouldn't be able to guarantee anything.  And then, today, I get my box in the mail, and it's the Every Girl box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I'm so excited to try everything.

I think I'm the only person who loves the Benefit Push-Up liner. I didn't get the BB sample, but I got the bigger, much nicer sample from Sephora and liked it so much I bought a full size.
Do you have to squeeze the full size one too?

So I've been too afraid to waste time in the morning before work attempting and failing to use my sample push up liner more than once, but I have been using my Noir eyeliner every morning and I know it's just a black eyeliner, BUT it stays really well on my waterline and I think it may be an HG contender for me. 

Also, I love that Not Soap, Radio body wash and I want to buy a full size from the BB store but first it said it was unavailable and now it lets me select a quantity but there's no way to actually add it to my cart. Is anyone else having this issue?

Do you have to squeeze the full size one too?

So I've been too afraid to waste time in the morning before work attempting and failing to use my sample push up liner more than once, but I have been using my Noir eyeliner every morning and I know it's just a black eyeliner, BUT it stays really well on my waterline and I think it may be an HG contender for me.

Also, I love that Not Soap, Radio body wash and I want to buy a full size from the BB store but first it said it was unavailable and now it lets me select a quantity but there's no way to actually add it to my cart. Is anyone else having this issue?
The full size one has a clicky turn mechanism. If you buy it I heard keeping the orange stopper helps or you have to waste the dry layer of eyeliner every time. Someone said it wasn't dark enough but it is super dark. I did a look I would normally do brown liner for but I was afraid of it melting in 110 degree heat and my husband said it was way too much eyeliner so I had to do more eye shadow.
It is super black, more so than any other liner I have ever used, liquid, pencil or gel. It stays better than my purple cailyn and more importantly I can do a super skinny line with it unlike my brushes.

I don't know about using it on your waterline. I have never tried.

Yes, and it's really getting on my nerves!

I think I'm the only person who loves the Benefit Push-Up liner. I didn't get the BB sample, but I got the bigger, much nicer sample from Sephora and liked it so much I bought a full size.
I tried the Sephora sample too and love it! my only concern is that it'll dry up before I get to finish using it. wish I had known about keeping the orange stopper though.

Funny story about BB.

So a friend of mine subbed to BB. She's had ipsy a few times in the past so she's not unfamiliar with the "surprise" concept. She never liked ipsy too much and I am not real sure what prompted her to try BB now.

She sends me pic of her box and says "I can't use any of it. Throwing it out." (Ugh...seriously?)

Me: "You're seriously not going to even try ANY of it?"

Her: "I don't use eyeliner, I don't use shaving cream, I don't want a face cleanser, I don't use perfume except for my one kind, and that lip crayon is orange so I won't use that and anyway I only use lipstick not crayons."

Me: "uhhh...I think subscription boxes may not be right for you..."

I may whine and complain about what I get sometimes but I don't mind trying stuff so I have fun with sub boxes overall. Even when I'm not happy with box contents I have ended up being surprised to like something after all sometimes, you all know what I mean?

But it does take willingness to try so I think it's just not her thing.

Put me in the camp that definitely did not love the Benefit liner. The sample worked fine at first and I didn't even mind having to squeeze it, but after I did one eye, it seemed like the texture of the liner changed. At first it was smooth and soft (but not quite runny), and on the second eye (only 30 seconds later) it seemed dry and goop-y. I had to remove another layer to make it fresh again. Does it seriously dry that fast?!? So weird. So unfortunate because I really liked the feel of that rubber applicator.

Oh well, I guess I'll stick to my $4 BH Cosmetics liquid eyeliners with the felt tip. Those pens last me forever.

Edit: I somehow liked my own post and now I can't undo it (mobile) - don't judge. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny story about BB.

So a friend of mine subbed to BB. She's had ipsy a few times in the past so she's not unfamiliar with the "surprise" concept. She never liked ipsy too much and I am not real sure what prompted her to try BB now.

She sends me pic of her box and says "I can't use any of it. Throwing it out." (Ugh...seriously?)

Her: "I don't use eyeliner, I don't use shaving cream, I don't want a face cleanser, I don't use perfume except for my one kind, and that lip crayon is orange so I won't use that and anyway I only use lipstick not crayons."

I may whine and complain about what I get sometimes but I don't mind trying stuff so I have fun with sub boxes overall. Even when I'm not happy with box contents I have ended up being surprised to like something after all sometimes, you all know what I mean?

I guess subscriptions are not for everyone. It takes being open to new and unfamiliar things to enjoy box with random stuff that you didn't pick. As you said, we all complain about things we get, but sometimes we finding unexpected new favorite.

Funny story about BB.

Lip crayons have changed my life for the better.  The first one I got was actually a Tarte Lipsurgence in my first Birchbox.

Should I be annoyed by BB's response? I emailed to let them know I thought they should add an opt out of SLS hair - it's a waste for the company to send it to someone who won't use it. My BB contained SLS shampoo and conditioner is I couldn't use 2/5 of it, it's not like I just didn't want to try a color. The response - "And thank you for your feedback on the Neil George Shampoo and Conditioner! I am so sorry that they caused disappointment and limited your discovery this month. While these are dafe for all hair types and color treated hair, I completely understand your caution as you have keratin treated hair." I feel like she's arguing with me and not that sorry.

Should I be annoyed by BB's response? I emailed to let them know I thought they should add an opt out of SLS hair - it's a waste for the company to send it to someone who won't use it. My BB contained SLS shampoo and conditioner is I couldn't use 2/5 of it, it's not like I just didn't want to try a color. The response - "And thank you for your feedback on the Neil George Shampoo and Conditioner! I am so sorry that they caused disappointment and limited your discovery this month. While these are dafe for all hair types and color treated hair, I completely understand your caution as you have keratin treated hair." I feel like she's arguing with me and not that sorry.
It sounds to me like she was agreeing with you.  The company apparently says that the product is safe for color treated hair, and she passed that along (which she had to do), but she also said that she understood your caution.  

Kind of a classic customer service response.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like she was agreeing with you.  The company apparently says that the product is safe for color treated hair, and she passed that along (which she had to do), but she also said that she understood your caution.  

Kind of a classic customer service response.
I feel like if I tell her I cannot use SLS then it's impolite to tell me it's safe when I have been told not to use it. Maybe I'm spoiled by seeing others get points for hating their box and I get "sorry you are disappointed" - doesn't seem like good CS to me. Am I wrong to want more?

The full size one has a clicky turn mechanism. If you buy it I heard keeping the orange stopper helps or you have to waste the dry layer of eyeliner every time. Someone said it wasn't dark enough but it is super dark. I did a look I would normally do brown liner for but I was afraid of it melting in 110 degree heat and my husband said it was way too much eyeliner so I had to do more eye shadow.

It is super black, more so than any other liner I have ever used, liquid, pencil or gel. It stays better than my purple cailyn and more importantly I can do a super skinny line with it unlike my brushes.

I don't know about using it on your waterline. I have never tried.
Good to know! Oh I wouldn't use it on my waterline. I just want it for cat eyes and all that fun stuff. The sample size is near impossible to work with though.

Yes, and it's really getting on my nerves!
Well, I guess I'm glad it's not just me. I hope they fix it though! Before it was doing that when it said there weren't any available, I set up the alert for when it becomes available and I have yet to get anything.

Put me in the camp that definitely did not love the Benefit liner. The sample worked fine at first and I didn't even mind having to squeeze it, but after I did one eye, it seemed like the texture of the liner changed. At first it was smooth and soft (but not quite runny), and on the second eye (only 30 seconds later) it seemed dry and goop-y. I had to remove another layer to make it fresh again. Does it seriously dry that fast?!? So weird. So unfortunate because I really liked the feel of that rubber applicator.

Oh well, I guess I'll stick to my $4 BH Cosmetics liquid eyeliners with the felt tip. Those pens last me forever.

Edit: I somehow liked my own post and now I can't undo it (mobile) - don't judge. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I literally just made my first BH Cosmetics order the other day! I'd never heard of them before but I had to get the SF palette since I miss the crap out of the bay area. Are their liquid eyeliners pretty easy to use??

Lip crayons have changed my life for the better.  The first one I got was actually a Tarte Lipsurgence in my first Birchbox.
I didn't know Tarte used to be in Birchbox!!!

I literally just made my first BH Cosmetics order the other day! I'd never heard of them before but I had to get the SF palette since I miss the crap out of the bay area. Are their liquid eyeliners pretty easy to use??
I have that palette  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> When I ordered it, it was a GWP, but the eyeshadows are okay, probably not the best.  But then again, I think I've used it maybe once, so it might be an amazing palette and I just don't know it yet.  I don't think I've tried the blushes yet either.

I have that palette  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> When I ordered it, it was a GWP, but the eyeshadows are okay, probably not the best.  But then again, I think I've used it maybe once, so it might be an amazing palette and I just don't know it yet.  I don't think I've tried the blushes yet either.
I mainly got it for the theme/packaging but I think it was marked down to like $4.99... maybe 8 or 9 bucks after shipping. They don't seem like the best from the little finger swatches I did but the whole set is so cute I don't even mind haha.

Back