Birchbox February 2016 **Spoilers**

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this is interesting!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-29/birchbox-cuts-15-of-staff-amid-tech-startup-belt-tightening

Thoughts? Staff cutting and suspending Canadian operations! Wow!
I just came to see if anyone posted about this! This article was on Inc. (but requires login)

http://www.inc.com/zoe-henry/birchbox-lays-off-15-percent-of-staff.html#_=_

I am a former 2-box subscriber and recently quit and used up all of my points. I looked at all the makeup and skincare I bought last year and realized that the things I loved most didn't come from Birchbox. 

Well this is interesting!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-29/birchbox-cuts-15-of-staff-amid-tech-startup-belt-tightening

Thoughts? Staff cutting and suspending Canadian operations! Wow!
I find this kind of annoying in a way I can't quite describe. I admit I just skimmed the article, so maybe I missed something. They just launched their own product lines, opened a couple of brick and mortar stores, and a couple of weeks after one of their launches, they have lay offs. How could they have not had some idea they weren't doing so well? Why keep expanding when lay offs are imminent? I feel sorry for everyone out of a job.

I find this kind of annoying in a way I can't quite describe. I admit I just skimmed the article, so maybe I missed something. They just launched their own product lines, opened a couple of brick and mortar stores, and a couple of weeks after one of their launches, they have lay offs. How could they have not had some idea they weren't doing so well? Why keep expanding when lay offs are imminent? I feel sorry for everyone out of a job.
I think Ipsy is hurting too.  It's hard to tell if anyone is actually doing well in a saturated market.  This might be why Sephora Play just got pushed to 2017.  I also kept hearing Katia or one of the big shots implying that they actually want to move away from being a subscription sampling business. 

I also kept hearing Katia or one of the big shots implying that they actually want to move away from being a subscription sampling business. 
I was expecting this from all those new physical stores and in house brands :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When the co-founder (co-CEO) Hayley Barna was stepping down last year, I heard it was because of the vision conflict between her and Katia. Probably Hayley was the one who was passionate about subscription part.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the pick your sample choices aren't great for March I'm taking a birch box break so I'm going to try to avoid spoilers and be surprised. I hope it's a good one.

Ideal last box: (this will never happen) arrow Balm, beauty blender lol, chauo chocolate, sheet mask, beauty protector hair mask, nail wrap/ decal

If the pick your sample choices aren't great for March I'm taking a birch box break so I'm going to try to avoid spoilers and be surprised. I hope it's a good one.

Ideal last box: (this will never happen) arrow Balm, beauty blender lol, chauo chocolate, sheet mask, beauty protector hair mask, nail wrap/ decal
I'm almost (almost) hoping the March sample choices aren't great because I did a gift subscription for myself back to my first account with points and i want to activate my welcome box on a month I won't feel like I'm missing out. Even if the curated box is great but there's only one sample choice I'm interested in... because then I can just get the curated on the side and have way too damn many.

My page is up. I am getting a clay cleanser, that Catherine whatever Romance perfume, the arrow lip balm (pick), color club in red, and an argan mask. I don't really need any of these, but nothing is too disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Feb. page is up too.  I'm getting:

Ren face mask (my PYS)

Paula's Choice Resist C15 super booster - Looks like a vitamin C face serum.  I think I'll like it if it doesn't smell bad. 

Cargo shadow stick - This should be nice since there's 3 colors & they all look usable.

ModelCo lip liner - Not excited for this since I rarely (like never) use lip liner.

Loreal Mythic oil hair mask - I'll try it.

So, it looks like the only thing I won't use is the lip liner.  Not a bad box.

My box is also up!

Not Soap, Radio Body Wash

Whish Revitalizing Cleansing Oil (pys)

Obliphica Professional Seaberry Serum - Medium to Coarse 

Color Club That's My Jam

Arrow Boost Color Enhancing Lip Balm 

Happy I ended up with the Arrow Lip Balm because it was already sold out when I went to make my pick. I've been wanting to try the Not Soap brand just because I'm curious about the scents. I'm always happy with nail polish and I'm glad I finally get a serum hair product and not a spray. I don't use spray products but I seem to get them in every box. 

My Feb. page is up too.  I'm getting:

Ren face mask (my PYS)

Paula's Choice Resist C15 super booster - Looks like a vitamin C face serum.  I think I'll like it if it doesn't smell bad. 

Cargo shadow stick - This should be nice since there's 3 colors & they all look usable.

ModelCo lip liner - Not excited for this since I rarely (like never) use lip liner.

Loreal Mythic oil hair mask - I'll try it.

So, it looks like the only thing I won't use is the lip liner.  Not a bad box.
I love the Paula's Choice Resist C15 super booster. It makes my skin so glowy when I use it. Probably the best product for dullness I've found. I always seem to get compliments on my skin when I'm using it regularly. 

Same box as above.

Not soap, radio body wash- probably in "the stuff that Cupid dips his arrow into". I got this last year and it's okay. Nothing mind blowing. I have a lot of Lush shower gel so I'm not super pumped about this.

Whish revitalizing cleansing oil- PYS and I'm excited about this! I LOVE the whish mud mask that came in the date night box.

Obliphica professional sea berry serum - this says its for medium to coarse hair, but maybe I can use it like and oil treatment and then wash out.

Color club nail polish - I like this okay!

Arrow lip balm - I don't usually love color changing lip stuff but I'll definitely give it a try!

Just checked and my box page is up too. I'm getting:

L'Oréal Professionnel Mythic Oil Nourishing Masque
Oscar de la Renta Flor Eau de Parfum
REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask (PYS)
POP Beauty Matte Velvet Lipstix
Marcelle New·Age 8 in 1 Power Serum

I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting this month except for the perfume sample. Hopefully the lipstick will be a good shade for my complexion...

Awash in a field of four leaf clovers is my favorite!! I've bought it multiple times, it smells like tea and you can't go wrong with a little extra luck!

Back