Birchbox Limited Edition: Modern Mermaid

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After asking you this question, I went home and my box had arrived. Upon opening the mirror I discovered that mine also varied greatly from what I was expecting to get. I understand and am not mad/upset about it but I am disappointed. I ended up with a purple mirror with large-ish brown spots on it. Just not what I was hopeing for -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yeah, that sounds exactly like the one I got. Looks like a metallic snakeskin to me. Similar to you, I get how it works but I'm still disappointed. I don't care for it so I through it into my sister bday present as a little bonus.

**mom and I went in together on a yearlong gift sub for my sister and I put together a couple full size make up purchases and some fun BB samples to wrap up for her bday present. She likes wimsical things, so the mirrow will be something she'll like especially if she isn't promised a mermaid mirror.

I got my box today and my perfume broke during shipment and leaked everywhere. Everything smells like the perfume and I'm not sure if it's because all of it leaked but I do not like the smell at all. Very strong. I'm hoping it's just because it spilled everywhere so the smell was stronger than just trying it on your wrist. I did take pics and send them to birchbox so hopefully I will get a replacement. I've never tried anything Atelier Cologne and I was looking forward to trying it.

All that said I love all the nail polish colors. I don't have anything like them and I think they will be fun to try. I am super excited to try the eyeliner. I am not a bold makeup person but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the blue looks on me. I will probably try the waterproof mascara top coat when it is really hot outside and when I go on vacation. I used to buy waterproof mascara but I have such a hard time taking it off. (I always seems to lose a lash or two when using eye makeup remover on eyeshadow and non-waterproof mascara, does anyone else have this issue? I use clinique eye makeup remover, what does everyone else use?) The mirror is really cute. I do wish that maybe the mirror was just a tad smaller. I will defiantly use the Coola. Question: is sunburn a problem for lips? I've never thought of having SPF on your lips. I am interested to see what my hair does with the sea salt spray. Although I might have to try it when sticking around the house for a day just in case my hair looks crazy.
Not only do my lips sunburn without sunscreen, I get horrible cold sores. I never go outside,m even to get the mail, without some lip balm with SPF. ( And it has to be on for about 20 minutes prior to going in the sun to be effective, like any other sunscreen)

I finally got my Mom's mermaid box. I know she's going to love it. Now I kinda want one for myself.

I got my "replacement" mermaid box and the mirror is a different pattern, but same color. I like the mirror on the right better. It looks like the mirror on the right is more purple, but really they're the same color, just a different pattern. I am not sure if I want to keep the 2nd eyeliner or not. While the eyeliner is beautiful and nice, I don't use a bunch of eyeliner so I am not sure if I really need to keep the 2nd one. 

14269604578_4c0a4e7e02_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@@Spazkatt Your mirror on the left is what I was hoping mine would look like. Is it more blue/green than purple? My mirror is purple.

ETA: I can't seem to get the quote feature to work today :/

Last edited by a moderator:
I really love the nude nail polish. I don't think the blue one is for me, although it is lovely. I already have quite a bit of blue nail polish, and blue-green metallic.

Thank you so much for all of your advice on SPF on your lips. I had no idea. I am super excited for the Coola now.

Update: Birchbox sent me another Modern Mermaid box for the perfume being broken. They really didn't need to send me another box. I would have been fine with a new perfume but I will defiantly take a another free box since this one is so great. They also gave me 100 points.

@@Spazkatt Your mirror on the left is what I was hoping mine would look like. Is it more blue/green than purple? My mirror is purple.

ETA: I can't seem to get the quote feature to work today :/
No, I'd say they're both the same color, a blueish/purple, with snakeskin undertones. The lighting in the picture makes them look different.

I just got my box and I love it! It was so cute sitting there on my doorstep with its little blue mermaid pattern. This is my 2nd LE box (my first was the In Full Bloom) and I have to say I'm really smitten with these boxes!

I love the waterproof mascara topcoat and the mirror. I really love the perfume too, which is a surprise! I didn't like the Rose Anonyme from the same company in the Bergdorf Glossybox--it smelled like old lady to me! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But this reminds me of Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien, which I also love.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the eyeliner--I have brown eyes and I think the blue looks a bit funny on me. I think I'm going to gift the nail polishes too because I know someone who'd love them, and they'd make a cute gift.

Love this box--so glad I got it!

I am really pleased with the box!! I am surprised at how much I like the perfume. Also love the chapstick, I already have another one in my BB cart. Also pleased with the spray (looking at her other products on the BB site now). I like the eyeliner too, hot dang is it pigmented! 

They just said that perfume and nail polish cannot be sent to my PO Box. That is not true because I have purchased 4 bottles of perfume from them and all of the packages were delivered there. It is true that these products cannot go by mail but that is what UPS Surepost is for. They ground ship and then deliver the package to your local post office. At least I am getting my money back. I would like to note that they sent the In Full Bloom box via USPS two day when it also had nail polish and perfume.
That was the reason they used to cancel my in full bloom box. This box they said would ship without any problems.

Are they doing anything proactive about that? Like a note on your account to not use ups? That's kind of a major issue with people who have achieved "Aces" and use a p o box.
I agree makes being an Ace not worth it for all the shipping problems.

I only JUST got around to using the Endless Love color from this box and the bristles on the brush are frayed and are going like every which way. It made it very hard to paint my nails because I would aim it for the nail but the random bristles sticking out would go on the skin. I dont' want a new bottle, but I would like a new brush! I don't know if that's something they even do

I only JUST got around to using the Endless Love color from this box and the bristles on the brush are frayed and are going like every which way. It made it very hard to paint my nails because I would aim it for the nail but the random bristles sticking out would go on the skin. I dont' want a new bottle, but I would like a new brush! I don't know if that's something they even do
maybe contact ruffian directly before emailing birchbox?  I have gotten replacement julep/zoya brushes that way.

Mine is the SAME way, it made it really difficult to paint my nails last night.  

My Sahara brush was like that, I sent pictures to them and they sent me a whole new polish.

Back