Birchbox Limited Edition: Modern Mermaid

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people got mirrors that they thought looked too different than what was advertised.  Different scale pattern, colors etc.  I think we've determined it was just where the mirror was cut from in the big bolt of material now though.  Some are more blue, purple, or green.  
If you read the desription of what items are in the box it states next to the mirror, "colors may vary". Then if you compare the mirror in the picture with the LE box it looks blue/purple and the mirror for sale by itself is green/blue. So there very well may be different colors/patterns. I should be getting two boxes maybe I can compare the two mirrors I get side by side to see if there is any difference. It's hard to compare colors from pictures online due to different camera settings, etc especially with the type of material used for the mirror.

If you read the desription of what items are in the box it states next to the mirror, "colors may vary". Then if you compare the mirror in the picture with the LE box it looks blue/purple and the mirror for sale by itself is green/blue. So there very well may be different colors/patterns. I should be getting two boxes maybe I can compare the two mirrors I get side by side to see if there is any difference. It's hard to compare colors from pictures online due to different camera settings, etc especially with the type of material used for the mirror.
Note that the description did NOT initially say that mirror colors may vary. I think this was added after they received complaints.

I was wondering about that actually!
I am actually really glad that they added that. I was one of the people who "complained." I wrote in to them and said that I wasn't looking for any points or handouts, but I wanted them to know that it would be really nice for them to note when variations will be sent in LE boxes, and I asked to have that passed on to the people who write item descriptions. I got an email back stating that the mirrors do in fact vary in color and that the message would be passed on.

I checked wiyh my PO this morning, they said no forms to fill out, yes I will get mail from fedex and ups, and it's quite a common thing to do.
back when it first started, we had to authorize it...maybe it's become standard practice now. Good to know.

EDIT: you'll event see the language in that link..." Note: Customers who sign the Customer Agreement ...

Last edited by a moderator:
back when it first started, we had to authorize it...maybe it's become standard practice now. Good to know.

EDIT: you'll event see the language in that link..." Note: Customers who sign the Customer Agreement ...
When I signed up for my P.O. box maybe two years ago, the clerk told me about this and gave me a copy of the agreement to look over. I never did get around to turning it in, but I was out of the country and ordered from somewhere that didn't ship to P.O. boxes, so I took a chance with the street addressing thing and it went through without a hitch. I just thought I would mention the whole agreement thing in case the post office is more regimented than mine.

When I signed up for my P.O. box maybe two years ago, the clerk told me about this and gave me a copy of the agreement to look over. I never did get around to turning it in, but I was out of the country and ordered from somewhere that didn't ship to P.O. boxes, so I took a chance with the street addressing thing and it went through without a hitch. I just thought I would mention the whole agreement thing in case the post office is more regimented than mine.
Mine was quite strict about it.  It's interesting how they vary.

EDIT: Regardless, a few of us have obviously been offering Birchbox this option as a workaround for their shipping issues.  They should make this a standard in their training now when speaking with customers with PO Boxes to help address the problems (not rep by rep who knows about it). 

Got both boxes finally! The perfume is to die for. I was super excited for the nail polishes but after swatching I'm 99% sure that I have exact dupes for the blue and pink that are China Glaze magnetics. I'll have to haul out the swatch spoons tonight and make sure I'm not imagining it lol!

My box actually showed up today!

I am NOT a fan of the cologne, it made me sick to my stomach :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The mirror is CUTE!

The Coola lip balm is super tasty and hydrating, this makes me happy.

The eyeliner is really nice, once I figured out how to open it, lol. I almost sharpened the smudger!

The Ruffian polishes are great, I really like the blue and pink, the nude is a bit too close to my skin color, so it just looks like clear nail polish on me, but not awful.

I am not a fan of sea salt sprays and the Captain Blankenship is a no go due to it's smell.

I haven't had a chance to try the mascara top coat, but I am looking forward to trying it.

I ordered this box mostly for the mirror and nail polish, so I figured it would be worth it even if those were the only two items I liked. So the fact that there were only two items I didn't like, I am pleased even though it took 14 days to get here!

I got my box today and my perfume broke during shipment and leaked everywhere. Everything smells like the perfume and I'm not sure if it's because all of it leaked but I do not like the smell at all. Very strong. I'm hoping it's just because it spilled everywhere so the smell was stronger than just trying it on your wrist. I did take pics and send them to birchbox so hopefully I will get a replacement. I've never tried anything Atelier Cologne and I was looking forward to trying it.

All that said I love all the nail polish colors. I don't have anything like them and I think they will be fun to try. I am super excited to try the eyeliner. I am not a bold makeup person but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the blue looks on me. I will probably try the waterproof mascara top coat when it is really hot outside and when I go on vacation. I used to buy waterproof mascara but I have such a hard time taking it off. (I always seems to lose a lash or two when using eye makeup remover on eyeshadow and non-waterproof mascara, does anyone else have this issue? I use clinique eye makeup remover, what does everyone else use?) The mirror is really cute. I do wish that maybe the mirror was just a tad smaller. I will defiantly use the Coola. Question: is sunburn a problem for lips? I've never thought of having SPF on your lips. I am interested to see what my hair does with the sea salt spray. Although I might have to try it when sticking around the house for a day just in case my hair looks crazy.

I got my box today and my perfume broke during shipment and leaked everywhere. Everything smells like the perfume and I'm not sure if it's because all of it leaked but I do not like the smell at all. Very strong. I'm hoping it's just because it spilled everywhere so the smell was stronger than just trying it on your wrist. I did take pics and send them to birchbox so hopefully I will get a replacement. I've never tried anything Atelier Cologne and I was looking forward to trying it.

All that said I love all the nail polish colors. I don't have anything like them and I think they will be fun to try. I am super excited to try the eyeliner. I am not a bold makeup person but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the blue looks on me. I will probably try the waterproof mascara top coat when it is really hot outside and when I go on vacation. I used to buy waterproof mascara but I have such a hard time taking it off. (I always seems to lose a lash or two when using eye makeup remover on eyeshadow and non-waterproof mascara, does anyone else have this issue? I use clinique eye makeup remover, what does everyone else use?) The mirror is really cute. I do wish that maybe the mirror was just a tad smaller. I will defiantly use the Coola. Question: is sunburn a problem for lips? I've never thought of having SPF on your lips. I am interested to see what my hair does with the sea salt spray. Although I might have to try it when sticking around the house for a day just in case my hair looks crazy.
I have a friend whose lips burn anytime she doesn't wear an SPF sunscreen. I never knew they could burn until I met her lol.

I ordered this box and I'm excited! Does anyone know how many Limited Edition boxes there are per year? I used all my saved up points on this one. I'm wondering how many more temptations there will be!

Some people got mirrors that they thought looked too different than what was advertised.  Different scale pattern, colors etc.  I think we've determined it was just where the mirror was cut from in the big bolt of material now though.  Some are more blue, purple, or green.  
After asking you this question, I went home and my box had arrived. Upon opening the mirror I discovered that mine also varied greatly from what I was expecting to get. I understand and am not mad/upset about it but I am disappointed. I ended up with a purple mirror with large-ish brown spots on it. Just not what I was hopeing for -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back