Birchbox Man: August Boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fiance never seems to get the boxes with the larger full sized items (such as full sized moisturizers or shaving creams they've offered in the past). He is getting box 4 and while the lip balm looks full size, it is definitely a cheaper full sized item, and if it has a glossy finish or a sticky texture he will certainly never use it. At least I got him into using nicer balms (he uses Jack Black) so I think he will definitely be up to trying it! I personally haven't been too thrilled with Birchbox Man, but he seems to enjoy them. I ask him every single month if he wants to keep it up or cancel, and he always says to keep it. He told me it makes him feel like he gets presents every month (even though he pays $20 a month for said presents). Whatever, as long as he enjoys it I won't complain. And overall this box is one of the better ones he has received thus far. 

Is it me or do the guys boxes have more full size and value than the ladies boxes ? I think hubby will love his box ! Hopefully the shirts will be the right size !

Sorry for the late post but I have all 10 boxes and the 37 variations on my blog. There are 10 box combinations but nine of the boxes have a different shirt size for a total of 37 box variations. Box 1 appears to be the "welcome" box.

Originally Posted by tevans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it me or do the guys boxes have more full size and value than the ladies boxes ?

I think hubby will love his box ! Hopefully the shirts will be the right size !
I think they do. I'm usually pretty jealous of a lot of their things - they have a lot more fun gadgets, like that "rumbaTime" GO watch a few months ago? I would have absolutely used that!

Here is what he is getting 

1093.jpg

Marvis Tooth Paste

Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm (I can already hear him saying he doesn't want this..so I will gladly take this off his hands)

Barking Irons Brando Tee (he loves a good under shirt, squeels to be had)

Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shave Gel - White Eagle (another shave gel, he is already in love with the Anthony's)

Originally Posted by tevans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it me or do the guys boxes have more full size and value than the ladies boxes ?

I think hubby will love his box ! Hopefully the shirts will be the right size !
their box is also twice the price so I think that plays a lot into the size of the samples.

I was thinking of getting my boyfriend a month box.  What are people's thoughts so far?
I got it for my bf when it first started. I was going to give it 3 months but he told me to cancel after 2. It nice if you have the $20 to spend every month but...we really don't. He said he'd rather take the $20 every month and spend it on something he really wants/picks out himself. I still like to see what's going on each month. Bottom line....he liked getting a surprise every month and even though it's always worth more than $20 he still thought it wasnt worth it because he wasn't using everything. Also, the thing that made me okay with cancelling was when they sent the wrong item ( Anthony Logistics shave cream) ...it was supposed to be face wash according to the card and when I contacted them they said the card was wrong...however he had already gotten a shave gel in the box...sooooo you meant to send TWO shave gels? Two shave gels in one box is overkill IMO.

Originally Posted by Kristin1387 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was thinking of getting my boyfriend a month box.  What are people's thoughts so far?
Originally Posted by lovestarbrooke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the thing that made me okay with cancelling was when they sent the wrong item ( Anthony Logistics shave cream) ...it was supposed to be face wash according to the card and when I contacted them they said the card was wrong...however he had already gotten a shave gel in the box...sooooo you meant to send TWO shave gels? Two shave gels in one box is overkill IMO.
We've been subbed since the beginning, and thought there have been a few duds...he really likes the service. He has a very 'techy' side, and takes care in his appearance. He likes being able to experiment with different items, and has purchased one full sized item so far (considering a second for the future). From the looks of the current box, he will most likely enjoy it as well. I don't usually complain about a box before I receive it and see everything first hand (even then I'm not really a complainer lol), but the T-shirts are the only thing that he might have an issue with this month. We marked him as a Meduim/Large in his profile, and if the 'cheat' method is correct in determining the size of the shirts he is receiving, he is getting size XL...which obviously wouldn't fit him. We'll have to see if that is the size he gets, and if so, maybe we can shrink them down a bit to fit since they are 100% cotton.
As far as the above comment regarding two shave gels in one box, and customer service claiming the mix up was just a misprint on the card, I had a similar mixup that month. We received the Anthony Logistics Facial Cleanser instead of the Anthony Logistics Shave Cream listed on the card and on the website under box contents. I immediately sent an email asking about the missing sample and awaited a response. Meanwhile, shortly after opening our Rumba Watch from that month's box, the battery in the watch died. I gave them a call to see what could be done, and while I had them on the phone, inquired about the missing shave cream sample. They told me what they told Lovestarbrooke above, that it was a misprint, but that we had received the correct sample. Several days later, I received a response to my email apologizing for the mixup, and letting me know they would be sending us the correct sample. About 2-3 weeks later, we received a package with the replacement watch, and missing shave cream sample. 

I'm not sure if the CSR's handling the phones are the same CSR's that answer emails? But the inconsistency of replies tends to annoy me. I was glad to have received the missing sample, because he really enjoyed it, and it has been the only full size purchase we have made from BBM. But if they fixed the mistake for me, why didn't they send out a memo or something so they could fix the mistake for everyone?

Overall, we've been quite happy with the contents and plan to stick around :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by katie danielle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My boyfriend actually got to pick a clothing size when he completed his profile, so hopefully they will send the shirts in the size he indicated in his profile. Did your boyfriend/husband fill out their profiles?
Yes, he did fill out his profile...but the largest size listed is an XL, when in actuality he's a 2XL or sometimes a 3XL - hopefully they NEVER send a long sleeved shirt bc it'll never fit with his long monkey arms!

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I filled it out for him yes, I just didn't think they would get so personalized. I mean for the girls box you tell them you want nail polish and that you're 16 and they send you anti aging cream. I think it's awesome that the men are getting things that they love because men are more of a "like it or cancel" type shopper. The girls are always like "oh this month was a dud, next month will be better". At least that is how I am. LOL

And then I get dud after dud after dud but I always hold out.
Love this!  You nailed it.  Women (at least in my case for a few of the subs) are thinking, "Hmm, but what if next month is crazy amazing?  It's not that bad, I'll stick it out" and men are thinking, "Well, that was a waste of $20!  Cancel!" if it's not what they're looking for.  I think the $20 price point makes it easier to cancel too, because that adds up quick, and the $10 Women's Birchbox isn't that much and we usually get a pretty decent box, at least they've been looking up, in my case.  The sixteen year olds getting anti-aging and 60 year olds getting trendy stick on eyeliners is a strange phenomenon.  I love the anti-aging stuff so it works out for me to trade my makeup items for those, because they're kinda pricy and I'm getting spoiled with all the samples, it makes it harder to want to shell out for the good stuff and I've gotten accustomed to the good stuff, darn them! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  And I love shopping online for makeup and getting gift with purchases, so I'm usually pretty good there.  

If anyone else gets a large and can't use it, let me know what color you're getting and I might be up for it.  Or I'm thinking I may resub just for this month for him.  I should get one of these boxes still, right?

Originally Posted by drk51284 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think they do. I'm usually pretty jealous of a lot of their things - they have a lot more fun gadgets, like that "rumbaTime" GO watch a few months ago? I would have absolutely used that!

Start a trade thread!  If you have anything interesting, you could trade for one.  I have one in dark blue and it's a mediumish size that I haven't gotten around to listing on my trade list yet.  Got anything good? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would trade a lot of stuff for more of the CoSTUME NATIONAL cologne. I think it's the best smell ever. But I'm certainly not paying $140 for it!

Originally Posted by francie nolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would trade a lot of stuff for more of the CoSTUME NATIONAL cologne. I think it's the best smell ever. But I'm certainly not paying $140 for it!
I have one I would trade...do you have a trade list?

Originally Posted by drk51284 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's an awesome idea! We should absolutely have a BB to BBM trade thread.

Here's my current list (it's small - I joined this site like two weeks ago):

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/121990/birchbox-open-trade-thread/2040#post_1910833

I'm not imagining there's anything interesting on there now (though I currently have two trades already in the mail) but let me know, just in case...
I've definitely seen posters put up goodies that they've gotten through BBM on the Birchbox Trade thread, that reminds me, I have to put up some of my stuff . . . 

I'll keep on eye on your list as you update it and see if anything catches my eye.  Mainly I'm looking for extras from Sample Society like anti-aging creams, I've gotten addicted to the good stuff and it turns out the good stuff is expensive!  But there are a lot of girls who hate getting anti-aging, so it works out great to trade them things they like for the 'old lady' creams. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I'm not an old lady by far yet, but I believe in preventative maintenance.  Plus, my skin feels so good after taking such good care of it with nice products, I can feel a difference.  It's fun to find new things.  

Hello Ladies, my man is getting box 5 and I'm thinking that I'm going to steal the shampoo and conditioner...I always take something lol! How did you guys figure out what size shirt that there sending? I had large in his profie but it seems that not everyone got the size listed I their profile. Thanks for the guidance.

My fiance just got his box today and he loves it! This is his third month and he's been pretty happy so far. He's wearing the shirt right now and it looks great. We're thinking of buying some more, actually. He also really likes the lip balm -- odorless and tasteless. I wish the shampoo and conditioner were actual bottles but that's my only complaint. I'm pleased this month!

I've never traded on these forums before but I'd be very interested in trading some of my regular Birchbox samples for some Birchbox Man samples and the tshirts in a size Large if anyone would be interested. I'll make up a tradelist to post. Ive been looking at getting the Birchbox Man boxes but the bigger items are so hit or miss (for my guy at least) that im nervous to subscribe at 20 bucks a pop.

Back