Birchbox Man December 2013 (SPOILERS)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Bikerchic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I thought only gift subs had a welcome box?  My husband's first box was last month and he got the regular November box.
Yep this is my boyfriend's first box and his is the normal box. 

I thought only gift subs had a welcome box?  My husband's first box was last month and he got the regular November box.
Oh you know what, yes.  You may be right welcome boxes may be only for gift subs. OH boy!!!!! @QueerAsFcuk I hope you avoid the ridiculous plastic watch. 
sadno.gif

I haven't been able to log into my account for 2 days?! Anyone else have problems?

Exclamation_BBPink_Diamonds_50x50.png
503 - Birchbox is temporarily unavailable More surprise, less delight :-(

503_sm.jpg

I'm new to the Birchbox Man Box but have been thinking of getting it for my boyfriend. (I have my own BB sub and love it.) That said, I need to clarify - are there always shaving products? He's a beard guy so those would be pretty useless for him. 

I think he could use most of the other personal care items and maybe the occasional lifestyle item.

It did occur to me that I could scavenge his box for the coolest tech stuff and use the shaving cream myself though. It's my money so technically my box. 
wink.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by CuriouslyAmanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm new to the Birchbox Man Box but have been thinking of getting it for my boyfriend. (I have my own BB sub and love it.) That said, I need to clarify - are there always shaving products? He's a beard guy so those would be pretty useless for him. 

I think he could use most of the other personal care items and maybe the occasional lifestyle item.

It did occur to me that I could scavenge his box for the coolest tech stuff and use the shaving cream myself though. It's my money so technically my box. 
wink.gif

When I signed my husband up the profile quiz actually asked how often he shaves.  I would think if he doesn't shave he shouldn't get any shaving items.  My husband is in the military and has to shave everyday so he seems to get shaving items in every box.

When I signed my husband up the profile quiz actually asked how often he shaves.  I would think if he doesn't shave he shouldn't get any shaving items.  My husband is in the military and has to shave everyday so he seems to get shaving items in every box.
That's good to know. Can anyone confirm if they're paying attention to the quiz answers? I know they ignore it sometimes in the women's BB. 

Hey gals, any of you get the travel candle last month? We were burning ours yesterday and we had burning it for a bit, I went to move some stuff on the coffee table, and moved the candle out if the way....and the plastic container cracked and spilled hot wax all over my coffee table, not to mention it burned my finger and my boyfriend burn his if fingers as well trying to rescue our table. I think I'm going to email Birchbox. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by CuriouslyAmanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  That's good to know. Can anyone confirm if they're paying attention to the quiz answers? I know they ignore it sometimes in the women's BB.

I would say they pay attention just as well as the women's box... some months it seems right on, and the next month it seems as though they never even looked at it. For example, My husband had his hair listed as "thick, unruly, hard to manage" and they sent him a thickening shampoo for thinning or balding hair. My husband is also very outdoorsy.... he is a hunter/trapper and a firefighter. Never wears a suit EVER, but yet even though he has his interests listed as Athletic, Outdoorsy Healthy & Jet Setting, he always receives lifestyle products aimed towards the "classic, artsy, fashion forward"  interest guys like the pocket square, shoe horn, bow tie, knit tie, cuff links etc. I don't know what one of his "interests" indicated that he would ever want a bow tie this month, although if he would have received the knit hat I would have thought that maybe they took his profile into account this month.

I have also seen posts from men who are bald, and are listed in their profile as being bald, who have received hair styling products. I can almost guarantee he will receive shaving products since so many of the featured products each month are based around shaving, whether it be a pre-shave oil, shaving cream, after shave etc.  The one month they did send out Mr.Natty beard elixir so maybe he would get something like that? Although I wouldn't count on not receiving shaving products.

Hey gals, any of you get the travel candle last month? We were burning ours yesterday and we had burning it for a bit, I went to move some stuff on the coffee table, and moved the candle out if the way....and the plastic container cracked and spilled hot wax all over my coffee table, not to mention it burned my finger and my boyfriend burn his if fingers as well trying to rescue our table. I think I'm going to email Birchbox. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I had two of these candles and they were fine. The container is glass though. It sounds like you received a faulty one.

Quote: Originally Posted by emily9763 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would say they pay attention just as well as the women's box... some months it seems right on, and the next month it seems as though they never even looked at it. For example, My husband had his hair listed as "thick, unruly, hard to manage" and they sent him a thickening shampoo for thinning or balding hair. My husband is also very outdoorsy.... he is a hunter/trapper and a firefighter. Never wears a suit EVER, but yet even though he has his interests listed as Athletic, Outdoorsy Healthy & Jet Setting, he always receives lifestyle products aimed towards the "classic, artsy, fashion forward"  interest guys like the pocket square, shoe horn, bow tie, knit tie, cuff links etc. I don't know what one of his "interests" indicated that he would ever want a bow tie this month, although if he would have received the knit hat I would have thought that maybe they took his profile into account this month.

I have also seen posts from men who are bald, and are listed in their profile as being bald, who have received hair styling products. I can almost guarantee he will receive shaving products since so many of the featured products each month are based around shaving, whether it be a pre-shave oil, shaving cream, after shave etc.  The one month they did send out Mr.Natty beard elixir so maybe he would get something like that? Although I wouldn't count on not receiving shaving products.
Yes, that's kind of what I figured given my experience w/the women's box. They seem to pay attention to the quiz when it's easy but don't go out of their way to do so. And a part of me is convinced that 50% of men's grooming products revolve around shaving. 

Thanks for the honest feedback!

Quote: Originally Posted by evildrporkchop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had two of these candles and they were fine. The container is glass though. It sounds like you received a faulty one.
Ours was glass too, my mistake.  It was so weird, I've never had a candle crack like this one.

We got Mr. Disco's box on Monday and he plowed into it before I could get a picture!  lol

He got Box 14:

mb14_385x385_4.jpg

The GO24-7 body wash is REALLY lemon scented.  I know furniture polish doesn't have the market on lemon scented stuff but it's all that came to mind when we smelled it.  He's loving the proraso products.  Evidently the CO Bigelow shave cream I get him at bath and body works is made by proraso. So now I can just buy this and get BB points for it!  Woot!  He wore the socks yesterday and loved them.  The American Crew stuff...  meh.  As for the bootlaces..  well...  I'm sure they'll come in handy for SOMETHING.  The box itself was really cute too.

My husband decided he wanted to actually try the fake watch out despite his disappointment, and it turned out it's broken!!!  There are these flaps on the side that are cracking off!  3 out of 4 of the side flaps are detached :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  anyone else have this problem?  I emailed BB about it so maybe they'll send a replacement.  Idk it feels like a lot of effort for something that he's not crazy about to begin with.  Ugh.

Quote: Originally Posted by ShannonHey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My husband decided he wanted to actually try the fake watch out despite his disappointment, and it turned out it's broken!!!  There are these flaps on the side that are cracking off!  3 out of 4 of the side flaps are detached :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  anyone else have this problem?  I emailed BB about it so maybe they'll send a replacement.  Idk it feels like a lot of effort for something that he's not crazy about to begin with.  Ugh.

I email them and let them know and ask that they send you a new box with the hat or socks or something in it since that was of SUCH poor quality.  May be a lesser price point but a better value overall as he'll actually probably use those things more than once in a blue moon.

Quote: Originally Posted by disconik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I email them and let them know and ask that they send you a new box with the hat or socks or something in it since that was of SUCH poor quality.  May be a lesser price point but a better value overall as he'll actually probably use those things more than once in a blue moon.
Or ask them for points.  May be worth more to you to choose another product they sell than one that was included in the box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My husband tried this box for several months and I just couldn't get the products right.  Last month he got the bow tie, which in his profile I clearly put he is a jeans and plaid kind of guy.  Oh well, he did like the ear phones and the iPhone cord in the earlier boxes.  If your guy doesn't like grooming products, this is definitely not the box for him. 

Quote: Originally Posted by pajohnso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My husband tried this box for several months and I just couldn't get the products right.  Last month he got the bow tie, which in his profile I clearly put he is a jeans and plaid kind of guy.  Oh well, he did like the ear phones and the iPhone cord in the earlier boxes.  If your guy doesn't like grooming products, this is definitely not the box for him.

My husband sounds just like yours, he is a hunter, very outdoorsy, and a firefighter. And he also got the bowtie this month! I specifically have check on his profile that he is athletic & outdoorsy... not classic, trendy etc. that would seem to be the type to get a bowtie. But in all honestly I am just relieved beyond belief that he didn't get the rubber watch. We were able to trade the bowtie for a the knit hat. I just want to know what the people who got the winter hat have checked in their profiles.... it never quite seems to make sense

Back