Birchbox March 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just rejoined.  I guess I will get the April box?  I cancelled my subscription in October because my budget was too tight.  I know BB is a hit or miss, but for $10 a month, I really can't complain too much.

I received Hot Mama in a trade.  I'm glad I didn't buy the full-sized one.  It's too warm and has a lot of gold shimmer.  It just doesn't work for me.  I'm sure Birchbox will send out more Hot Mama samples though.  It seems to be pretty popular. Has Birchbox ever sent out Nars samples?  I've heard a lot about Orgasm and want to try it - just not enough to go to the mall and see if my local Sephora.
Hmmm... if you didn't love Hot Mama, I'm not sure you will like Nars' Orgasm. Many people think they are quite similar. If you do a google search, you will find many comparisons. Orgasm is supposed to be a universally flattering color but it does nothing for me. I have a medium-tan complexion, and it just doesn't show up on me.

Originally Posted by dotybird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmm... if you didn't love Hot Mama, I'm not sure you will like Nars' Orgasm. Many people think they are quite similar. If you do a google search, you will find many comparisons.

Orgasm is supposed to be a universally flattering color but it does nothing for me. I have a medium-tan complexion, and it just doesn't show up on me.
Orgasm didn't work for me, I ended up getting torrid. To me torrid is like a more intense version of orgasm and I love it.

Orgasm didn't look good on me either! I picked up Dolce Vita per sephora associate's suggestion but I just realized that I never use it and opt for other blushes. Meh.

Orgasm didn't work for me, I ended up getting torrid. To me torrid is like a more intense version of orgasm and I love it.

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Orgasm didn't look good on me either! I picked up Dolce Vita per sephora associate's suggestion but I just realized that I never use it and opt for other blushes. Meh.
I've never worn Orgasm, but I did get Hot Mama in a past Birchbox.  I loved it at first, but now the gold shimmer in it is starting to annoy me.  My new fave is the Cuty Peach blush from the January Starlooks box, it's perfect for Spring!

(By the way, I used the Amika Hair Mask to deep condition my hair this morning, then sprayed in Beauty Protector before I blow-dried and my hair smells AMAZING.  Just thought I'd share 
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never worn Orgasm, but I did get Hot Mama in a past Birchbox.  I loved it at first, but now the gold shimmer in it is starting to annoy me.  My new fave is the Cuty Peach blush from the January Starlooks box, it's perfect for Spring!

(By the way, I used the Amika Hair Mask to deep condition my hair this morning, then sprayed in Beauty Protector before I blow-dried and my hair smells AMAZING.  Just thought I'd share 
wink.gif
)
 I know so many people love Hot Mama so I felt like maybe I was crazy. I like the color, its the weird goldish shimmer I do not like.

wink.gif
)
In the swatches I saw, I totally didn't see the gold glitter.  Of course, all I saw was the cute packaging and that it was a blush.  
laughno.gif

doh.gif
  I saw the blush from the January Starlooks box.  It looks really nice!

I've had the Amika hair mask I received a few months ago just sitting on the counter next to my shower.  I've been a little paranoid about what I put in my hair since I got my keratin treatment in August.  It cost $400, but I haven't had to get it redone - I've been using the recommended conditioner (which adds keratin into your hair), use a keratin infusion at least once a week (it's kinda like touching up your roots when you dye your hair), and have contacted companies whose hair products I use to make sure they're totally safe (if it didn't say "sulfate-free" and "sodium-free" on the bottle).  The little packet the Amika hair mask came in is so adorable, I almost don't want to use it.  I try to use Beauty Protector as little as possible because it has sodium in it.  It is pretty good at getting rid of tangles though.

Originally Posted by Ashitude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know so many people love Hot Mama so I felt like maybe I was crazy. I like the color, its the weird goldish shimmer I do not like.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the swatches I saw, I totally didn't see the gold glitter.  Of course, all I saw was the cute packaging and that it was a blush.  
laughno.gif

doh.gif
  I saw the blush from the January Starlooks box.  It looks really nice!

I've had the Amika hair mask I received a few months ago just sitting on the counter next to my shower.  I've been a little paranoid about what I put in my hair since I got my keratin treatment in August.  It cost $400, but I haven't had to get it redone - I've been using the recommended conditioner (which adds keratin into your hair), use a keratin infusion at least once a week (it's kinda like touching up your roots when you dye your hair), and have contacted companies whose hair products I use to make sure they're totally safe (if it didn't say "sulfate-free" and "sodium-free" on the bottle).  The little packet the Amika hair mask came in is so adorable, I almost don't want to use it.  I try to use Beauty Protector as little as possible because it has sodium in it.  It is pretty good at getting rid of tangles though.
That is one hefty hair investment!  You should absolutely protect it!  I just use regular stuff on my hair, so the sulfates and sodium don't worry me too much.  And the Beauty Protector is my favorite thing lately!  I love how soft and frizz-free my hair is now.  I just had never used the Amika and the Protector together, and I love how they smell together!  They're both awesome on their own, but I'm sitting here smelling my hair like a crazy person.  
roflmao.gif

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you would love torrid it was beautiful on me and a little goes a long way. Also it looks great in pics.

wink.gif
)
Thanks for the tip, I have to try these two together once my beauty protector comes in.

Exactly!

That is one hefty hair investment!  You should absolutely protect it!  I just use regular stuff on my hair, so the sulfates and sodium don't worry me too much.  And the Beauty Protector is my favorite thing lately!  I love how soft and frizz-free my hair is now.  I just had never used the Amika and the Protector together, and I love how they smell together!  They're both awesome on their own, but I'm sitting here smelling my hair like a crazy person.  
roflmao.gif
rofl2.gif
 I thought I was the only one that smelled my hair. I have this kms curl crème  that smells just like orange sorbet and I walk around smelling my hair right after I use it.

Got my first box today. I'm actually shocked that the twistband ended up being my favorite item. I was excited for the Whish but there really wasn't a scent to it for me. I had convinced myself it would smell like Fruity Pebbles, darn high hopes.

Originally Posted by hiheather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my first box today. I'm actually shocked that the twistband ended up being my favorite item. I was excited for the Whish but there really wasn't a scent to it for me. I had convinced myself it would smell like Fruity Pebbles, darn high hopes.
There wasn't a scent? Mine smelled so strong it cut through the fog (and ridiculous congestion) of the flu.

When I tried out my Whish sample.. the smell was just awful. I was imagining fresh picked blueberries but instead it reminded me of the smell of the 'popcorn' flavored jelly belly candies. Whish made me wish I had never received that sample... 
sick.gif

My Whish was highly scented too.  I didn't mind the smell, but it was a terrible shave cream.  It dried my legs out really bad and didn't provide a comfortable shave.  I've had a better shave with just water and even then my legs didn't get scaly and feel like the Sahara.

Latest posts

Back