Birchbox October 2014 Spoilers! Video is up

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh! Ooh! I literally spazzed when I saw the video was up. Now it's time to actually go watch it...

[Edit] ModelCo lipstick it is for me! It'll be the first product of theirs that I've ever tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am excited to finally try a Mally lipgloss. I think those stupid Lord & Berry pencils are going to be in a lot of boxes like they doubled up on the PYS this month or they will never get rid of them all.

I actually like/want everything in this video! Going to look up the book club author. I'm never usually tempted by the add ons, but I kind of want both of these. I've been wanting to try Mally and I think I definitely want the Petal to Metal and maybe even Melon too. Also thinking I definitely want to try the ModelCo lipstick and I'm definitely going to be in the minority but I want the little Lord & Berry eyeliner. I wear black liner pretty much every day and I LOVED the black sparkle one I had from UD back in the day so I'm down to try this one. I probably won't pick it because I figure either there's a chance it'll be in the same box as one of these other items since they seem to love to do that and if I don't get it, it'll probably be really easy to trade for.

I don't know if I should go with the ModelCo or the Mally. Both I'd be excited to receive! (But not excited about the eyeliner, so I definitely need to choose!!)

I'm not excited like last month, but I'll probably go for one of the Mally glosses or the ModelCo.

I wish they were offering a different color of the Model Co lipstick.  I like their formula, but I just can't do such a nude color.

Are the Mally colors new?  I'm having trouble getting a good idea of the shades.  I think I might pick the two Mally colors and leave my third box to chance.  Hopefully I won't end up with a million tiny black eyeliners!

I am not sure if I want to pick anything this time.  i'm still swimming in lip products and I really don't need another eyeliner.  (Especially not a black one!)  I may leave things up to chance.  I do love the candle they're doing for Birchbox plus.  I may have to do an add-on this month.  

To each their own, but that brand of eyeliner is really only good if you plan to smudge it into a smokey-eye kind of thing. 

Just wanted to save you from the disappointment I'm sure everyone has had with that brand.
I'm familiar with the liner, got a full size in a past sample society box and got the mini in a recent ipsy bag. I don't recall it being particularly terrible.

KITTY!!! I swear I had that lipstick in the "wanted" section of my trade list for MONTHS last year, but everyone ended up liking theirs and not trading it!  I'm so getting that on one account.  Not picking anything on the other, hopefully they don't send an L&B eyeliner.

I wish they'd do a "pick the sample you DON'T want" option as well!

I think I'm the only person who can't stand Flynn's books, and my husband is going to drag me to Gone Girl when it premieres (Trent Reznor is doing the soundtrack, which is the only reason he wants to see it). I read Gone Girl and haaaaated it, then I read Sharp Objects and barely finished it, I was so mad at the characters. Ugh. (Book thoughts below in spoilers)

I think I'll try for the lipstick gloss stuff though, to go back to the PYS discussion. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have so many lip products but they're all so fun to try out!

Gone Girl made me SO mad because I got to the halfway point where she's revealed to be alive, and I thought it was an interesting concept--then I kept reading and I was FURIOUS at Amy because she's SUCH A witch. She did all this crap to Nick because she was basically bored with their relationship--he never did ANYTHING to her. I lost interest in her reasoning right away and rage-read through the end, hoping she would just die. If I do have to see the movie, I hear she rewrote the ending, so maybe it'll be better. Maybe she'll get stabbed halfway through the book and really be a ghost or something, even THAT would be better!

Sharp Objects suffered from a similar issue, where I couldn't give a crap about the main character because she's so poorly characterized and unrelatable. I get it, she had a terrible childhood and her mother is certifiably insane, but all the crap with her stepsister is just so out of left field and terribly justified.

tl;dr: I think Flynn is severely overrated.

I think I'm the only person who can't stand Flynn's books, and my husband is going to drag me to Gone Girl when it premieres (Trent Reznor is doing the soundtrack, which is the only reason he wants to see it). I read Gone Girl and haaaaated it, then I read Sharp Objects and barely finished it, I was so mad at the characters. Ugh. (Book thoughts below in spoilers)

I think I'll try for the lipstick gloss stuff though, to go back to the PYS discussion. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have so many lip products but they're all so fun to try out!

Gone Girl made me SO mad because I got to the halfway point where she's revealed to be alive, and I thought it was an interesting concept--then I kept reading and I was FURIOUS at Amy because she's SUCH A witch. She did all this crap to Nick because she was basically bored with their relationship--he never did ANYTHING to her. I lost interest in her reasoning right away and rage-read through the end, hoping she would just die. If I do have to see the movie, I hear she rewrote the ending, so maybe it'll be better. Maybe she'll get stabbed halfway through the book and really be a ghost or something, even THAT would be better!

Sharp Objects suffered from a similar issue, where I couldn't give a crap about the main character because she's so poorly characterized and unrelatable. I get it, she had a terrible childhood and her mother is certifiably insane, but all the crap with her stepsister is just so out of left field and terribly justified.

Haha, I agree with you on Gone Girl, that book pissed me off! I wished death upon her too!

I think I will try a Mally and actually do an add-on this time for the first time!  I really like the bracelet!  Now have to decide which account gets which...

Hmm, I might end up not picking again this month. I didn't pick anything in September, and I actually ended up really liking my box.

I already received almost all of the Model Co. colors in previous boxes and swaps, so I'm going to pass on Kitty. I didn't even like the formula. It's too dry, chalky, settled in lip lines horribly, and I hated the scent.

Although I don't like lipglosses, I guess I'll give the Mally a try on one of my accounts then leave the other two up to BB, which means I'll be getting eyeliner for sure. Something tells me the lip gloss will be identical to Stila Lip Glazes, and that's not a good thing.

This is a let down compared to the September PYS choices. Can't all be home runs, can it?

@@Krystyn Lowe @ceredonia  I haven't read the book you're talking about, but I've definitely watched a horror film before, and in the first scene realized I hated a character and yeah, they were probably gonna survive.  And they did! 

As much as I love reading, I'm not tempted by BB's book offerings.  I know what I like, and with the exception of Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin I'm moving all my books to Kindle anyhow.

I hated Gone Girl and everyone I've talked to that read it hates it too. I don't know why it's getting so much hype. I know for the movie they are completely changing the ending though, so maybe they can salvage something.

For Gone Girl, I enjoyed the book.  However, I did hate the ending.  It bothered me for a while after I finished reading it because I really did like the story but just thought it ended poorly.  Despite that, I still think of it as one of my favorite books.  It was one I couldn't put down and I looked forward to reading it.  I'm interested to see the differences in the movie from the book.

Back