Birchbox October 2014 Spoilers! Video is up

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already received almost all of the Model Co. colors in previous boxes and swaps, so I'm going to pass on Kitty. I didn't even like the formula. It's too dry, chalky, settled in lip lines horribly, and I hated the scent.

Although I don't like lipglosses, I guess I'll give the Mally a try on one of my accounts then leave the other two up to BB, which means I'll be getting eyeliner for sure. Something tells me the lip gloss will be identical to Stila Lip Glazes, and that's not a good thing.

This is a let down compared to the September PYS choices. Can't all be home runs, can it?
I was at Ulta today and swatched some of the Mally liquid lipsticks on my hand. They felt exactly like Stila lip glazes, which I hate. 

I wish we we had an "E) None of the above" option, as opposed to the "I don't care, surprise me" option of not picking any of the samples.

I hated it too! Liked the first half, but hated the "twist" and the ending.

I'm excited for this month! I like both the add-ons (maybe first time ever I will order one) and the lip glosses and lipstick look really fun.

I think I'm the only person who can't stand Flynn's books, and my husband is going to drag me to Gone Girl when it premieres (Trent Reznor is doing the soundtrack, which is the only reason he wants to see it). I read Gone Girl and haaaaated it, then I read Sharp Objects and barely finished it, I was so mad at the characters. Ugh. (Book thoughts below in spoilers)

I think I'll try for the lipstick gloss stuff though, to go back to the PYS discussion. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have so many lip products but they're all so fun to try out!

Gone Girl made me SO mad because I got to the halfway point where she's revealed to be alive, and I thought it was an interesting concept--then I kept reading and I was FURIOUS at Amy because she's SUCH A witch. She did all this crap to Nick because she was basically bored with their relationship--he never did ANYTHING to her. I lost interest in her reasoning right away and rage-read through the end, hoping she would just die. If I do have to see the movie, I hear she rewrote the ending, so maybe it'll be better. Maybe she'll get stabbed halfway through the book and really be a ghost or something, even THAT would be better!

Sharp Objects suffered from a similar issue, where I couldn't give a crap about the main character because she's so poorly characterized and unrelatable. I get it, she had a terrible childhood and her mother is certifiably insane, but all the crap with her stepsister is just so out of left field and terribly justified.

tl;dr: I think Flynn is severely overrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never tried a Mally product, will probably pick that.  

I received L&B in my Ipsy too, I was not excited about it, but it surprised me, I like it a lot for the waterline and have been reaching for it ever since. 

I would probably pick up another L&B but this one has glitter so I wouldn't be able to use it where I'd want to use it (waterline). 

I'm hoping for a fall polish this month. I think I'm going to try the Mally gloss as my PYS. None of them thrill me but I'm afraid if I don't pick one, they will send me the liner and I definitely don't need another liner.

So I just tried to reserve the add-on candle and got the message - Unable to load vertical Bella J. candle.

Doesn't sound like it worked right?  Does anyone know if it's too early to reserve?

I think I'm going to go with the mango Mally gloss - although I am tempted to just pass on making a choice to see what happens.  I'm also really tempted to start a second account, I've really been enjoying BB since I signed up in August.

Nothing really interests me with this month's pick your samples, so I think I'll opt for a surprise.

I think im going for the Model co in kitty because I love the name, crazy cat lady over here! Hoping they send it since they dont guarantee the  PYS for APO addresses.

I was looking around at their videos, this one isn't a spoiler, but I have to know - WHY?  Why would anyone purposely do this?  I can achieve that look by leaving my makeup on when I sleep

I love adventurous looks, but this to me, just looks sloppy and I want to fix her eye makeup!! https://www.birchbox.com/magazine/video/how-to-reverse-smoky-eye?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=women_non_sub&utm_campaign=092114_W_NS_Engagement
That was actually specifically a recommendation in a recent _Allure_:  Apply your eye makeup before you go to bed and wake up with beautifully smudged shadow and liner!  Which...  ugh.  No.  It had its time and place, and that was the grunge scene in the early '90s.  This whole revival thing is *not* working for me.

(And now I sound like my mom and her friends lamenting my high school obsession with '60s stuff.)

ANYWAY.  This month's options:  I *really* do not want that eyeliner, and I'm not impressed with the Party Proof lipstick, but I'm not particularly sold on the Mally gloss.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do, especially since the last time I tried not picking anything because I didn't want any of the choices, I received one of them.  And I canceled my monthly boxes (my main account is annual) already.  I'm trying to decide whether to use a code and resubscribe or wait until next time around.  I'm currently leaning towards waiting until next month, code or not.  I have a big Kickstarter pledge right around the corner, so I need to get past that before I start adding any more boxes.  I already skipped Scratch and Julep.  I might as well skip extra Birchboxes, too.

I seem to be one of the few people who liked the modelco lipsticks I've gotten so far. XD  So I'm happy for the kitty one.  I'll probably end up picking something for my boxes since the 1 time I didn't pick something I got a pretty sucky box (at least for me it wasn't great).  

Edit: Oh, and does anyone know how much the candle is going to be?  I don't recall hearing/seeing it in the video.  

I was at Ulta today and swatched some of the Mally liquid lipsticks on my hand. They felt exactly like Stila lip glazes, which I hate. 

I wish we we had an "E) None of the above" option, as opposed to the "I don't care, surprise me" option of not picking any of the samples.
So it's comparable to Stila? Gah, this is making me rethink things.

I already received almost all of the Model Co. colors in previous boxes and swaps, so I'm going to pass on Kitty. I didn't even like the formula. It's too dry, chalky, settled in lip lines horribly, and I hated the scent.

Although I don't like lipglosses, I guess I'll give the Mally a try on one of my accounts then leave the other two up to BB, which means I'll be getting eyeliner for sure. Something tells me the lip gloss will be identical to Stila Lip Glazes, and that's not a good thing.

This is a let down compared to the September PYS choices. Can't all be home runs, can it?
Actually, the Mally isn't anywhere near as sticky as Stila's lip glazes. It really isn't very sticky at all. I bought the color Mally's Look on ebay when they were sent out by New Beauty Test Tube. I don't use it often. It is a bit neutral for me. And the staying power is similar to a gloss. That said, I am probably going to pick up both of these plus the Kitty lipstick on my 3 accounts. Kitty is my priority as I chased that in the trade threads and never got it. But then, I'm a lippie addict. I don't know what I'll do if they put together a complete box you can choose and I want it too. Yikes! But, happy lippie month for me!

I seem to be one of the few people who liked the modelco lipsticks I've gotten so far. XD  So I'm happy for the kitty one.  I'll probably end up picking something for my boxes since the 1 time I didn't pick something I got a pretty sucky box (at least for me it wasn't great).  

Edit: Oh, and does anyone know how much the candle is going to be?  I don't recall hearing/seeing it in the video.  
The candle is going for $18.

That was actually specifically a recommendation in a recent _Allure_: Apply your eye makeup before you go to bed and wake up with beautifully smudged shadow and liner! Which... ugh. No.
Oh goodness, no.  All the eye makeup would be IN my eyes and all over my pillows and brow bone if I tried that.  I can't even get eyeliner to last half a day and they're suggesting I put it on at night?  I don't think so!  The only "look" I would have if I tried that would be "flaming red eye irritation."

Back