Birchbox Points: What did or will you buy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your reply. I should have known better I guess. I will be more careful next time making a purchase for sure.
Well, I don't think they make it very clear how they decide to process the returns in terms of points and $. If I have several items if various prices in my order and return a lower priced item, how do they decide the % of money and points I get back? I am sure there is a formula they use but I tried to undedrstant the amount of points and $ I got back on a couple items and could not figure out that magical formula. So I don't really know how we are suppose to have known better. I have never had a business do this.

I thought since the item I returned was the lowest priced item and I still kept the majority of the order that and all my points still applied to what I kept plus I paid more on top of the points, that the item I returned would be the full actual price back and no would be returned points. Or you just give me points back that equals the cost of that item I returned plus any $$ that I paid above and beyond that item.Example. If my order was $100 with several items and I used 200 points for that order so still had to pay $80 and I return and item that was $12, that they'd either give me my full $12 back since I paid $80 out of pocket. OR they'd give me 100 points back and then $2 cashback. That system makes more sense to me and is actually fair.

So I ordered a Davines All in One Milk today along with 2 Chuao chocolates to push the order over $35 and used MOBILE20 for 20% off because for some reason TAKEOFF20 wasn't working for me.  Paid 300 points and $4 and change.  Not bad! 

Had to call in to place my order (received the promo "2yearlove" for 25% off last month but it no longer worked, so they applied the 25% off manually over the phone) but I'm super excited!

BB_ClarisonicMia2.jpg

Finally caved and ordered the Clarisonic Mia 2, only paid $11.75 out of pocket after the 25% off and using my hoarded points. I can't wait! Except now that I think about it.. I probably should've tried my luck with a men's pick-two instead of the women's. Hmm.

I am not sure where to put this post, but I really need some advise. 

I made an order with birchbox for 400 points plus 17 dollars out of pocket. One of the item was not what I expected. (super small sample size versus the full size i imagined it to be) The item was 15 dollars. I made an return. 

However, the crazy part is, they only refunded me like 3 dollars and some points. They keep insisting that they distribute the dollar and points equally among all products. However, i think that if i am making that purchase without the 15 dollar item, I would have only paid 2 dollars or so out of pocket because i would have still spent all of my points. I tried explaining that to their customer service multiple times but doesn't work. Is there a policy regarding this? Am i just out of luck?

Had i known that i would only get 3 dollars back in money, i probably would not have returned it. What should I do? Ask for it back?
i've made a couple of returns to bb before. they always pay back in points and cash. both times, i thought they screwed it up, but if you calculate it more carefully, it's actually right. keep in mind that they also deduct the points that you earned for that specific product when you made the purchase. they do distribute the actual paid cash amount to the different items in your order, so the 17 dollars is distributed to the returned product + the other items you ordered. when you combine the $ back and the points, it should add up to the amount of the item (minus the points that you earned on that product initially). i hope this helps.

edit: changed to "17 dollars", your out of pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've made a couple of returns to bb before. they always pay back in points and cash. both times, i thought they screwed it up, but if you calculate it more carefully, it's actually right. keep in mind that they also deduct the points that you earned for that specific product when you made the purchase. they do distribute the actual paid cash amount to the different items in your order, so the 15 dollars is distributed to the returned product + the other items you ordered. when you combine the $ back and the points, it should add up to the amount of the item (minus the points that you earned on that product initially). i hope this helps.
Yep, the math is wonky, but it does ultimately work out. And don't forget, you also have to figure in any discount you used... if the item was originally $15, but you used a 20% off code, you get back a cash/points split equaling $12, not $15.

Sure the math "works out" but if she were going to buy something of similar price of the item she just returned she wouldn't be able to use the same points and amount of $ returned to buy the item. That is not actually fair. You can't use only 10 or 50 points on an order. So no, it isn't really the same or equal in returns.

ETA: and in actuality, it doesn't always make sense. I had at least one order where I kind of got screwed for almost two dollars (and yes, I factored in the discount). I had my mathmatician professor friend try to do the math and she kept coming up with what I had and could not figure out how they shorted me. I tried to get an answer from BB but they just said it is a formula they use and that was that.

Sure the math "works out" but if she were going to buy something of similar price of the item she just returned she wouldn't be able to use the same points and amount of $ returned to buy the item. That is not actually fair. You can't use only 10 or 50 points on an order. So no, it isn't really the same or equal in returns.

ETA: and in actuality, it doesn't always make sense. I had at least one order where I kind of got screwed for almost two dollars (and yes, I factored in the discount). I had my mathmatician professor friend try to do the math and she kept coming up with what I had and could not figure out how they shorted me. I tried to get an answer from BB but they just said it is a formula they use and that was that.
did you also deduct the points that you earned for that item? they take those points away too when you return the item.

@@saku we factored in everything. With all the points I had and the discount, it only came to around $13 out of pocket which would have only been 13 points for the whole order so it would have been only a small % of that 13 points that they would have returned as well.

@@saku we factored in everything. With all the points I had and the discount, it only came to around $13 out of pocket which would have only been 13 points for the whole order so it would have been only a small % of that 13 points that they would have returned as well.
in that case, i would really insist for an explanation - with the exact numbers and stuff. i can help you try to figure it out if you have the details still, if you want. 

Have any of you lovely ladies tried any of the Cynthia Rowley eye shadow pallettes from Birchbox.  I see a cute springy looking cool-toned pallete on the site and have it on my list of "maybes" to spend my points on. 

How are these shadows?  I basically just like the look of the packaging.

Just a heads up, the anniversary codes are working today.  I never used my 13 month code for 25% off, so I tried last night and it wasn't working but today it is!  It's 13MONTHS25 if anyone else wants to try it (I have used a more recent code since then, I think the 16 month one?)

Using up my points to try out something new!  I love the value kits, hope this one is a hit:

Women’s “Thank You” Keychain DPI_MRKT_KEYCHAIN 1 $15.00

Spend $35, get a free Mystery Sample Pack 5823 1 $10.00

Laura Geller Beauty Try Me Collection: Baked 101 Shade Fair fair 1 $39.00

Subtotal $64.00

Shipping & Handling $0.00

Discount (VIP Free Shipping, Free Anniversary Keychain, 25% Off 13 Months Anniversary , 13MONTHS25, Free Sample Pack with $35+ Purchase) -$34.75

Tax $0.00

200 reward points -$20.00

Gift Card -$9.25

Grand Total $0.00

Fresh Start  $42.00  Ordered: 1 $42.00  

Limited Edition: Vanity Affair $98.00  Ordered: 1 $98.00  

Spend $35, get a free Mystery Sample Pack $10.00  Ordered: 1 $10.00  

Subtotal $150.00 

Shipping & Handling $0.00 

Discount (VIP Free Shipping, Free Frends Ella Headphones with $150+ Purchase, FRENDS, Free Sample Pack with $35+ Purchase) -$10.00 

1100 reward points -$110.00 

Grand Total $30.00

I'm so excited about this order! I've been wanting the Ella headphones for a long time now and the Vanity Affair and Fresh Start boxes look so amazing. Not to mention I just picked up $500 worth of products for $30 bucks! 

Have any of you lovely ladies tried any of the Cynthia Rowley eye shadow pallettes from Birchbox.  I see a cute springy looking cool-toned pallete on the site and have it on my list of "maybes" to spend my points on. 

I got the giant palette that came with a black and gold purse and some brown liquid eyeliner. This was a free gift back in October if you switched to a yearly.  This is one of my favorite BB products to date. Yes the packaging is cute, but the colors I got (purples and gold) are super rich and flattering. 

I placed a small order today, all for practical things :) Since I cashed in all of my points around Thanksgiving I only had 300 in my birch-bank when the 34-month code came. I grabbed a couple things I had my eyes on for a while, and some black soap for hubs. 

Fullscreen capture 1162015 41019 AM.jpg

I received the Cynthia Rowley palette  (The Game Face) as a gift with purchase for aces a month or two ago. https://www.birchbox.com/shop/cynthia-rowley-beauty-game-face-eyeshadow-palette  I love it!  The shades are very buttery and easy to blend.  Honestly, I didn't expect it to be so nice (especially as a GWP).  I also purchased some of her eyeliners after my good experience with the palette.  There are not many frosty or glitter shades in that palette (which I like). I tend to wear eyeshadows by Too Faced and Laura Mercier the most.  This palette matches those in quality in my mind.

I received the Cynthia Rowley palette  (The Game Face) as a gift with purchase for aces a month or two ago. https://www.birchbox.com/shop/cynthia-rowley-beauty-game-face-eyeshadow-palette  I love it!  The shades are very buttery and easy to blend.  Honestly, I didn't expect it to be so nice (especially as a GWP).  I also purchased some of her eyeliners after my good experience with the palette.  There are not many frosty or glitter shades in that palette (which I like). I tend to wear eyeshadows by Too Faced and Laura Mercier the most.  This palette matches those in quality in my mind.
Thanks arizonaelizabeth and Noel S. - I'm actually glad you liked them as now I think I may go ahead with it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]This kinda annoys me:[/SIZE]

Screen shot 2015-01-16 at 1.56.06 PM.png

Why did Birchbox only give me 9 points for this order, instead of a full 10?  

When I use points and discount codes and actual money I play cart tetris so I end up with even 10 point increments.

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]This kinda annoys me:[/SIZE]

Screen shot 2015-01-16 at 1.56.06 PM.png

Why did Birchbox only give me 9 points for this order, instead of a full 10?  

When I use points and discount codes and actual money I play cart tetris so I end up with even 10 point increments.
Wouldn't you have gotten 12 points for your order since you spent $12?

Latest posts

Back