Birchbox Points: What did or will you buy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I don't think they make it very clear how they decide to process the returns in terms of points and $. If I have several items if various prices in my order and return a lower priced item, how do they decide the % of money and points I get back? I am sure there is a formula they use but I tried to undedrstant the amount of points and $ I got back on a couple items and could not figure out that magical formula. So I don't really know how we are suppose to have known better. I have never had a business do this.

I thought since the item I returned was the lowest priced item and I still kept the majority of the order that and all my points still applied to what I kept plus I paid more on top of the points, that the item I returned would be the full actual price back and no would be returned points. Or you just give me points back that equals the cost of that item I returned plus any $$ that I paid above and beyond that item.Example. If my order was $100 with several items and I used 200 points for that order so still had to pay $80 and I return and item that was $12, that they'd either give me my full $12 back since I paid $80 out of pocket. OR they'd give me 100 points back and then $2 cashback. That system makes more sense to me and is actually fair.
I think the way they explained to me is that they take a percentage. Say if you paid with 20% points and 80%out of pocket, the 12 dollar item would get you 9.6 dollar back and 24 points. I guess it does make sense how they do it, but i just really don't like it.

i've made a couple of returns to bb before. they always pay back in points and cash. both times, i thought they screwed it up, but if you calculate it more carefully, it's actually right. keep in mind that they also deduct the points that you earned for that specific product when you made the purchase. they do distribute the actual paid cash amount to the different items in your order, so the 17 dollars is distributed to the returned product + the other items you ordered. when you combine the $ back and the points, it should add up to the amount of the item (minus the points that you earned on that product initially). i hope this helps.

edit: changed to "17 dollars", your out of pocket.
I think i understand the math now, which does work out. Just feels like I don't like the way they do it. 

Sure the math "works out" but if she were going to buy something of similar price of the item she just returned she wouldn't be able to use the same points and amount of $ returned to buy the item. That is not actually fair. You can't use only 10 or 50 points on an order. So no, it isn't really the same or equal in returns.

ETA: and in actuality, it doesn't always make sense. I had at least one order where I kind of got screwed for almost two dollars (and yes, I factored in the discount). I had my mathmatician professor friend try to do the math and she kept coming up with what I had and could not figure out how they shorted me. I tried to get an answer from BB but they just said it is a formula they use and that was that.
I agree with your point. I got like 76 points back, which I was like, how do i ever use that. 

In the end, i think i gave up arguing with them since they won't barge at all. Lesson learned

My first Birchbox purchase. $0

HteBihO.png

I had a 25% coupon for my 25 box anniversary - I wish they wouldn't just give us a couple of weeks to use - so, I was wondering what to get. I decided to get Jouer matte tint, as I always use this product. Was surprised to see it is 40.00 now (up by 2.00) and after I added it to my cart, Birchbox told me what other items people have purchased who got this...Well, it displayed the Jouer + beautyblender® Perfectly Primed Collection, which is $38.00.  I thought maybe the jouer is deluxe size. Nope, it is the SAME size.  Then I thought, maybe they just force a certain color on us.  Nope, you can pick it.   So, this collection - full jouer of the color of your choice, a beauty blender, a beauty blender soap and a mini of jouer's primer - for $38.00 .  No brainer here - that went in my cart and the other item  came out!!  I had 300 points - added the mystery 2 pick and paid 28 cents.

Jouer + beautyblender® Perfectly Primed Collection Shade Nude  $38.00 Ordered: 1 $38.00

Spend $35, get a free Mystery Sample Pack  $10.00 Ordered: 1 $10.00

Subtotal $48.00

Shipping & Handling $0.00

Discount (VIP Free Shipping, 25-Box Anniversary Discount - 25%, Free Sample Pack with $35+ Purchase) -$19.50

Tax $1.78

300 reward points -$30.00

Grand Total $0.28

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you lovely ladies tried any of the Cynthia Rowley eye shadow pallettes from Birchbox.  I see a cute springy looking cool-toned pallete on the site and have it on my list of "maybes" to spend my points on. 

How are these shadows?  I basically just like the look of the packaging.
I purchased one of her original palettes on BB when it first came out.  Very pretty colors.  Lots of fall out and the some of the shadows were soft and crumbly.  In fact, one of them was already damaged when I received it

I just used 700 points and my 9 month code for 20% off on:

-Paula's choice resist barrier moisturizer with retinol

-klorane dry shampoo with tint

-w3ll people bio brightener stick

-caudalie winter duo (hand cream and lip balm)

-mystery sample pack

$103.50 for only $4.80.

I've been hoarding points for awhile. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so excited!

My first birchbox order:

Beauty protector Protect and Detangle

Cynthia Rowley Eyeshadow pallete #2

Mystery pack

Used 20% code that came with my welcome gift box

And $20 of points

Free shipping

Spent $16.76

Not a free order but worth it I think. If the shadows aren't super great, I would have paid that for the spray alone.

I love the Sumita colored mascaras ... for my hair. I just do a little colored strip in the front. It washes out in the shower. I did buy them originally to actually use as mascara, but they made a clumpy, flaky mess, so I gave up on that.
Yeah i read the reviews that it was very flaky but hey I'm getting it for free so.... I may put it in my swap pile, because I don't know where I would wear it heheh. It was hard to find things I wanted for $5 or less.

Yeah i read the reviews that it was very flaky but hey I'm getting it for free so.... I may put it in my swap pile, because I don't know where I would wear it heheh. It was hard to find things I wanted for $5 or less.
Don't forget about adding a 20% (or higher) coupon code to your order.  I think I've only made one order w/o a code b/c I wanted to use a promo that was a code.  It can make cart tetris that much more fun!  (And not to mention, cheaper!)

Don't forget about adding a 20% (or higher) coupon code to your order.  I think I've only made one order w/o a code b/c I wanted to use a promo that was a code.  It can make cart tetris that much more fun!  (And not to mention, cheaper!)
yeah i saw it in my email and was like damn. I'll do it on my next purchase.

First BB order:

AYRES Body Lotion Scent-Patagonia $24.00

Color Club Gala's Gems Collection $13.00

Spend $35, get a free Mystery Sample Pack $10.00

Subtotal $47.00

Shipping & Handling $0.00

Discount (20% Off For You, Takeoff20, Free Sample Pack with $35+ Purchase) -$17.40

300 reward points -$29.60

Grand Total -$0

I got all my points back on my second sub but realized I only wanted a pack of those liz earle cloths. I used 100 points on my main account, which meant wasting 20 points since it came out to 8 dollars with tax. But really, what did I do to earn them other than share my box on facebook twice. I am going to keep the point stash until I see something I must have in full size or run completely out of something.  ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

will be making mulled wine soon! haha

Item Sku Qty Subtotal Makerskit Mulled Wine MakersKit 700987789867 1 $24.00 Bombas Women Crew Socks Color Heather Grey/Blue 760921700228 1 $9.00 Bombas Women Crew Socks Color Heather Grey/Pink 760921700204 1 $9.00 Ahmad Tea Tea Chest Four 481 1 $13.50 Spend $35, get a free Mystery Sample Pack 5823 1 $10.00 Subtotal $65.50 Shipping & Handling $0.00 Discount (VIP Free Shipping, 21-Box Anniversary Discount - 21%, 21ANDCOUNTING, Free Sample Pack with $35+ Purchase) -$21.66 400 reward points -$40.00 Grand Total $3.84

I purchased one of her original palettes on BB when it first came out.  Very pretty colors.  Lots of fall out and the some of the shadows were soft and crumbly.  In fact, one of them was already damaged when I received it
You are right about the softness and fall-out-city.  I received my palette last night and heeded your advise, made sure to put these on before my foundation & concealer and really tapped my brush A LOT.  But was happy with the results after taking those steps.  Kind of annoying, but it was free and the soft colors look nice with my black cat eye I often do.  And the case is super cute on my vanity. 

Note that the middle "confetti" shade: the little speckles kind of dis-appear after first use.  

rowleypallet.jpg

palletandtea.jpg

Just placed my first order (yes, even if I'm on a no buy... eeeek) because I got a 200 points credit for receiving a damaged product in my january box. I actually got 2x100 points by mistake (instead of only 100). I was paranoid they'd realized they made a mistake and would remove 100 points so I bought:

-PoreFessionnal

-Amika Nourishing Mask 60ml

Got the mask since it gave me free shipping and ended up costing $3 more than if I just paid normal shipping...

Very excited to get the PoreFessionnal, I love this product but would never paid full price for it (I'm cheap!).

Total was $24, with fees/duties to Canada. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any discount that would work for Canadian orders :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How long does it usually take for BB to ship an order?

I saw the candy code for chuao and was slightly tempted. Then I remembered these samples were so tiny. But if you are tempted to add stuff to your cart to make it 35, this code only requires a 30 dollar purchase. 

Back