Birchbox - September 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There could be stipulations on the samples they're given by the companies, you know? Maybe Brand A says that they can only give X away, while Y are meant to be sold in the packs. Or, even though there are repeats, no one said they were all received at the same time. Brand A might offer up more of the same sample once they've seen how successful it was, if that makes sense? Who knows.

Originally Posted by Mandy Kane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

agreed. that SH sucks it hard! That was the first top coat I used and my nails peeled like crazy! Way to go on the zero total! let us know how the DL works out! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Sure!

Originally Posted by brennn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone remember where exactly BB had said "no foil sachets"?  I've been looking over the box info & FAQ and all I could find was something that said something like "each month you will receive a curated box of luxe samples of skincare, makeup, lifestyle .." & "Samples are generously sized, with enough product to allow you to figure out if they're right for you" They've removed referring to them as deluxe samples & removed the "no foil sachets" promise (if that was explicitly stated).  I wonder when they changed/phased them out. Did anybody else notice something like this? 
I noticed that a couple of months back. It's a shame. Because the model is changing and getting foil packets and teeny sized samples just doesn't make this as wonderful of a service anymore. The redeeming part of Birchbox is the point system. If that was to go away now and samples not get better, I would be finished with this.

in regards to when they said "no foil packets" back in the day, i think there's a noticeable difference in the type of samples that frequent the boxes now. i know wayyy earlier in this thread someone posted a picture of the samples from 4 different months one year ago. the size difference was startling.

it's sad, i think there's an apparent difference in customer service and sampling since they've decided to grow larger. hopefully it's just because they're in over their heads right now and adjusting, i guess we'll see.

I'm sort of torn on the "comparing to earlier boxes", because I'm not sure if I prefer fewer samples, but larger sizes or smaller sizes and more items. It's kind of a toss up, for me.

I've said before, it would be wonderful to get the perfect mixture each month, even if the items were small (though I definitely don't mean the swatch smears one sometimes finds in magazines, either):

1) a color item (yes, I realize this would create a deluge of nude gloss and black mascara)

2) a skin care item (body or face)

3) a perfume sample

4) a hair item (and if it's shampoo, pair it with the conditioner, fer cryin' out loud)

5) a nail item

6) a "lifestyle" item OR tool

OH! And my biggest beef--I wish there were more focus on NEW collections, not just "exclusive" lines. 

Originally Posted by alice blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The samples in my latest Sephora order:

Not bad for a $25 purchase! Why can't Birchbox offer such nice sizes? After all, we are paying for the samples themselves, they aren't free with a purchase. 
I was just getting ready to order from Sephora. Now I am really annoyed with them. I am a VIB, so why no email about this deal? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Moonittude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by alice blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The samples in my latest Sephora order:

Not bad for a $25 purchase! Why can't Birchbox offer such nice sizes? After all, we are paying for the samples themselves, they aren't free with a purchase. 
I was just getting ready to order from Sephora. Now I am really annoyed with them. I am a VIB, so why no email about this deal? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It was a Beauty Insider promo, not just for VIBs. It was gone like the same day they e-mailed about it. You should contact them and have them fix your e-mail settings.

The samples in my latest Sephora order: Not bad for a $25 purchase! Why can't Birchbox offer such nice sizes? After all, we are paying for the samples themselves, they aren't free with a purchase. 
It was posted on Facebook and on their website. I dont know if they sent emails or not.

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I dont know if they sent emails or not.
They did. I always check my emails from Sephora, they get checked above all others. 

Originally Posted by alice blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They did. I always check my emails from Sephora, they get checked above all others. 

What day did this get sent out? I get emails from Sephora, but I didn't get this deal. I'd have known if I saw it. :

What day did this get sent out? I get emails from Sephora, but I didn't get this deal. I'd have known if I saw it. :
It was originally a Fan Friday offer and was sold out almost immediately. They said on their Facebook page that it would be offered again in an email the following week, so I suspect people were on the lookout for it. I got it as a Beauty Insider email on the 19th, with the subject line "W-O-W"

Originally Posted by Auntboo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It was originally a Fan Friday offer and was sold out almost immediately. They said on their Facebook page that it would be offered again in an email the following week, so I suspect people were on the lookout for it. I got it as a Beauty Insider email on the 19th, with the subject line "W-O-W"
Well, thank you for scrutinizing for me. I am done pouting about it, because I have gotten a lot of wonderful samples from them in the past year or so. I need to make sure I stay on the VIB list somewhere. I wish they made it easier to tell how much I spent in the past calendar year.

Back to BB related info. 

I just tried placing an order for 2 wei to go kits and beauty fixation makeup removers and I kept getting an error message so i tried placing the order like4 times.. well I never did get an order # so I think there is something going on with their website. I called and left a message, hopefully someone will call me back tomorrow. They have the plus 2 packs available, but my order wont freaking go through. I should also mention my bank account is now showing 4 pending charges for the order total... 
eek.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Auntboo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

>| I'm still mad. I'm going through my inbox archives through search and I definitely was not sent this email or else I'd have placed an order. I'm definitely on the Beauty Insider list 'cause I got the 9/15 offer for bareMinerals but the next one wasn't until 9/22  for the Guerlain perfume. I searched for "W-O-W" just in case, but nope.

I'm wondering if there's a certain preference these emails get sent out on. I haven't placed an order with Sephora.com since December of last year, but I've been scrutinizing the emails still. Now I'm wondering if I should send them an email asking about it or if that's too pushy customer. :

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Back to BB related info. 

I just tried placing an order for 2 wei to go kits and beauty fixation makeup removers and I kept getting an error message so i tried placing the order like4 times.. well I never did get an order # so I think there is something going on with their website. I called and left a message, hopefully someone will call me back tomorrow. They have the plus 2 packs available, but my order wont freaking go through. I should also mention my bank account is now showing 4 pending charges for the order total... 
eek.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
thank you for posting about the plus two packs! i was able to order a plus two pack and 2 of the stupid beauty fixation makeup remover packs. their website is obviously getting slammed right now though. just keep trying, i'm sure they'll reverse the charges!

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

>| I'm still mad. I'm going through my inbox archives through search and I definitely was not sent this email or else I'd have placed an order. I'm definitely on the Beauty Insider list 'cause I got the 9/15 offer for bareMinerals but the next one wasn't until 9/22  for the Guerlain perfume. I searched for "W-O-W" just in case, but nope.

I'm wondering if there's a certain preference these emails get sent out on. I haven't placed an order with Sephora.com since December of last year, but I've been scrutinizing the emails still. Now I'm wondering if I should send them an email asking about it or if that's too pushy customer. :
While it's possible that they targeted the email, it's also possible that it was sent and just not received on your account; that does still happen.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i looked through all my sephora emails too and didn't get this one, although i've been spending plenty in the past few months (just hit VIB... i need to stop 
icon_rolleyes.gif
). so if there's a preference i don't think it's people who haven't shopped there in a while.

Not to rub it in , but I got that email and I'm not a big Sophorachick. Signed up for whatever level of insider you start at and haven't really bought anything since then.  You should email them and tell them you would have ordered - as you often do - but they didn't do you the courtesy of telling you.  (And if you can do that thing where you move your head back-and-forth in that "ohNoYouDi'nt!" way in text, that'd be a plus!  An' I'll pay you a nickle to teach me.)

Originally Posted by mellee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not to rub it in , but I got that email and I'm not a big Sophorachick. Signed up for whatever level of insider you start at and haven't really bought anything since then.  You should email them and tell them you would have ordered - as you often do - but they didn't do you the courtesy of telling you.  (And if you can do that thing where you move your head back-and-forth in that "ohNoYouDi'nt!" way in text, that'd be a plus!  An' I'll pay you a nickle to teach me.)
That might be a good idea. I definitely was thinking about ordering soon -- am planning to in October still and already have a few things in my cart, so that deal would've pushed it over for me to place an order earlier. It's really funny because the day after that email, I got one of those prodding ones reminding me I had things in my cart and I should buy them. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'm bummed because Sephora usually is really good about customer relations, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and guess it was targeted and send them an email anyway.

Thanks for listening to my ranting everyone.

Originally Posted by Auntboo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got this promo during Fan Friday (and then saw the email the following week).  I was bummed because they substituted the Dr. Brandt duo for another sample.  Granted it was a good size sample of Clarin's day cream, but I really was excited about the Dr. Brandt duo.

Sephora did comp me an extra 100 pts so it's okay...but dang.

Latest posts

Back