Birchbox September 2015 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. Tough choice this month. I like the davines and the dr Brandt, but have received them before. I like the Anastasia brand, but have so many brow products right now. And the pop colors look good, but I feel like I've heard mostly negative things about them.

I'm back down to just one box this month (unless I see a new 100 point code) so I may leave it to chance or grab the pop, just to get something totally new to me.

Birchbox plus orders come with balloons!  Gah if only I wanted the plus items. Anyone who doesn't want their balloons can send them all to me! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

I like all the pick your sample choices, hard to decide what to get. I kinda like the favorites box but the products...meh.

Anyone know if I get two people to sign up does that mean I get my upgraded box with the $20 add on FREE??? Hmmmm???  Probs not, huh?

I think I'll let Birchbox completely surprise me this month with samples. I really have not liked any of the Davines samples I've received in the past, got the Dr Brandt cleanser in August's box, don't necessarily want the eye shadow trio, and I have a brow pencil that I love and won't be changing anytime soon.

However...I'll probably get the add-on tote bag. I love the Rifle Paper one from earlier,really high quality, and this one looks like the same material/construction. I'm tempted by the acrylic holder and the gold bracelet, too.

Passing on the curated box this month. The Nicole box and the one before that were awesome, and I like the products in this one, but just not enough to buy it extra.

I wish Lorelei would post what her beauty routine actually is. Her skin is flawless is the videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish Lorelei would post what her beauty routine actually is. Her skin is flawless is the videos.
I thought the same thing watching the video. I would love to know what products she uses.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

I'm going to leave mine up to chance. The plus items I was more interested in though. I'll have to check those out when they are released.

I'm pretty meh about sample choice. I kinda want the brow pencil, but I already have quite a few brow products (including my HG pencil) so I'm not sure I really want another. The pop eyeshadows are pretty but it seems like they have hardly no pigmentation, so I'm not sure I want those. I guess I'll probably get the Davines on one account since I've tried the pink one and liked it enough and the Dr. Brandt on the other since I never get his products. I wish I liked the curated box, but between the Hello perfume and the fact I already have the cleanser and cloth and I didn't like the blue eyeliner I got from that brand I don't think it would be worth it.

After a few months of picking a sample or getting the guest editors box, I'm just going to leave it up to the birchbox gods. I've already had 2 of the samples i the guest editors box and I'm not excited abut any of the sample choices. I really want to try the liz earle cleanse and polish but I'm not going to get the guest editor box for one sample. I wish that was one of the PYS this month. I would have been super excited then. I expected more from them on their 5th anniversary. Oh well, I've had some pretty great boxes lately. I'm due for a bad one.

More info/speculation about the future of Birchbox after Hayley steps away as co-CEO.

http://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2015/08/20/from-birchbox-to-zady-when-restless-cofounders.html

"Birchbox and the quiet exit: Just last week, we learned that Birchbox cofounder and former co-CEO Hayley Barna quietly shifted to an advisory role in recent months although she remains on the company’s board. Katia Beauchamp is now the sole CEO of the New York City-based beauty retailer, which has a subscription business and a flagship retail store. It’s unclear what Barna’s next move is, but the brand is clearly shifting from being reliant on its subscription box business to moving further into brick and mortar retailer."

interesting. i stopped by subscription after a couple of full year subscriptions.  Just not finding it interesting anymore. 

For those who have not been picking a sample lately, have you still received one of the monthly samples or do you usually receive something altogether different?  I'm not feeling the samples this month so thought I might skip it.  But, if they usually send one of the highlighted items anyway, I'd at least like to get the one I dislike the least.  Definitely don't want a curated box with a fragrance sample!

For those who have not been picking a sample lately, have you still received one of the monthly samples or do you usually receive something altogether different?  I'm not feeling the samples this month so thought I might skip it.  But, if they usually send one of the highlighted items anyway, I'd at least like to get the one I dislike the least.  Definitely don't want a curated box with a fragrance sample!
I think I've received one of the sample choices if I remember correctly. Overall the boxes seem to be better for me if I leave them up to chance vs if I pick make the pick myself.

I completely spaced out and missed the upgrade email until now. The brush set and the charger are already sold out. I ended up reserving the makeup organizer because my desk is a mess with so much makeup on it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> (subs are not included in my current no buy) :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

What did everyone end up selecting? Anything catch your eye this month?

For those who have not been picking a sample lately, have you still received one of the monthly samples or do you usually receive something altogether different? I'm not feeling the samples this month so thought I might skip it. But, if they usually send one of the highlighted items anyway, I'd at least like to get the one I dislike the least. Definitely don't want a curated box with a fragrance sample!
Yeah I'd like to hear more about people's experiences with this too! I remember shortly after they first started sample choice (before I realized I needed to review stuff to to become an ACE) I didn't pick because two of the sample choices were going and I didn't want either of the things left. Of course I got the choice that I wanted the least when I received my box. So ever since then, I've picked, even if I didn't love something, because I didn't want to risk getting the worst (for me) thing. But I gifted myself a sub a few months ago so for a couple months I had two boxes coming, and last month my second account never received a sample choice email. And when I got the box on that account it had none of the sample choices in it, which I didn't even realize was possible! It wasn't a great box, but bygones.

I'm back to one box this month (my ACE account) and I think I will probably leave it to chance, as I don't want the curated box and none of the sample choices wow me (two would be repeats anyway) so I'll be interested to see what happens. It's funny, I think I'm more interested in what I get versus others, and how they manage to not have repeats (most of the time), like the behind the scenes stuff, than I am in trying my samples most months now.

@@Miccarty2 and @@cpl100

Here is my experience= I have been with BB for quite a few years now and any time I didn't pick a sample choice since they've been doing the sample choices, I almost always got a box with one of the PYS, and trust me, they were never the decent samples! It is one reason I finally quit my subs- my boxes were just getting worse and worse even though I had the Beta version that was more detailed and suppose to help improve your boxes.

I had pretty much said I didn't want any more than 5 throughout the year everything except makeup stuff and guess what?? Many of my boxes I wasn't getting any makeup, definitely LESS makeup than I was getting than before I had the beta version. Prior to the beta version, I was getting shampoos and conditioners and hair styling products (I only air dry!!) in my boxes and I have a brand I am already loyal to so I was soooo tired of continually getting 3 out of 5 items in haircare. But, because I was promised the beta would make it better, I stuck with it for several months but it never got better, in fact, it was worse than ever, so I finally quit.

I would love to be able to go into a store and just pick 5 samples of things for $10 at their store than do a sub every month and be disappointed time and time again.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@cpl100 and @@Miccarty2 They're have been times when I haven't picked a sample choice simply because I forgot and I always got a sample choice (usually it was the item I would have picked anyway though, so that's a win). I feel like picking a sample won't even nessacarily mean that you won't get an item that you want least, because it seemed like this month a lot of boxes contained more then one sample choice, so if your feeling meh about all the sample choices then it might be better to just leave it up to chance because I know from looking at box pages that there are some boxes without sample choices.

Random, slightly off-topic question, but also related to September; Does Birchbox do anything for birthdays? It's my birthday month and I'm just kinda curious because I've been saving points for these items in my cart and I'm wondering if they give some amazing codes or anything to celebrate?

Random, slightly off-topic question, but also related to September; Does Birchbox do anything for birthdays? It's my birthday month and I'm just kinda curious because I've been saving points for these items in my cart and I'm wondering if they give some amazing codes or anything to celebrate?
There is a coupon code: "BIRTHDAY". Subscribers get $10 Off $50 while logged-in during their birthday month. This code is valid on full-size products and can only be used once per year.

Hope this helps.

Happy birthday in advance :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

There is a coupon code: "BIRTHDAY". Subscribers get $10 Off $50 while logged-in during their birthday month. This code is valid on full-size products and can only be used once per year.

Hope this helps.

Happy birthday in advance :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That's cool! May be better to use a 20% code instead though. It all depends on how many items I get in my box to review in this box. And thank you!! 

Back