Birchbox (Woman) May 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally, I would only give up on getting an item in my BB once the sample ends up in a "Pick Two" pack.  For example, the Vasanti Brighten Up that I just got - It has been in boxes for several months now, so I just kept crossing my fingers that I'd get it - but once I saw it hit the "Pick Two" section, I realized that it's probably not going to be in a box again.  So I went ahead and bought it as a sample.  (otherwise, if you see a few months go by and the sample you wanted isn't in ANY of the boxes, it would probably be safe to assume it won't be around as a sample anymore) Of course, that's just my opinion, based on my observations.  
I actually got the Vasanti in a Pick 2 in December, and then it showed up in my box. Also, I saw a few products in boxes this month - the Marvis and the Herban Essentials- that I got in my first few boxes in 2010! So there is always a chance they'll reappear.

Originally Posted by JessicaK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Supergoop CC cream in the light shade work for really fair complexions?
It really does. I'm laughably pale, and I use the light/medium shade. When it comes out of the tube it looks very dark, but it self corrects when it gets on your skin to match your skin tone. It's like magic, I say!

Originally Posted by Mary322 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, it wasn't empty, I think you might have received a dud.  I don't know how they fill up those tiny little tubes, but I assume it's not an exact science.  I have used mine a few times and I think there is still quite a bit in it.
hmm, thanks for letting me know. I may shoot customer service an email and let them know.

Does the Supergoop CC cream in the light shade work for really fair complexions?
It really does. I'm laughably pale, and I use the light/medium shade. When it comes out of the tube it looks very dark, but it self corrects when it gets on your skin to match your skin tone. It's like magic, I say!
Another fair person here and it does work. When I saw how dark it was I thought there was no way it would work but it does. I liked the CC cream so much I just bought a full size.

Generally, I would only give up on getting an item in my BB once the sample ends up in a "Pick Two" pack.  For example, the Vasanti Brighten Up that I just got - It has been in boxes for several months now, so I just kept crossing my fingers that I'd get it - but once I saw it hit the "Pick Two" section, I realized that it's probably not going to be in a box again.  So I went ahead and bought it as a sample.  (otherwise, if you see a few months go by and the sample you wanted isn't in ANY of the boxes, it would probably be safe to assume it won't be around as a sample anymore) Of course, that's just my opinion, based on my observations.  
I noticed the pick 2 page says that ordering the pick 2 pack does not disqualify you from getting one of those samples in your box. I wonder how their algorithm looks at GWPs and if the pick 2 sample we pick gets factored in to their equations for what we like.

Another fair person here and it does work. When I saw how dark it was I thought there was no way it would work but it does. I liked the CC cream so much I just bought a full size.
Thanks! I hope I get a sample in June's box but if I don't I think I'll just buy it. It sounds like it would be nice to have for the summer.

Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I noticed the pick 2 page says that ordering the pick 2 pack does not disqualify you from getting one of those samples in your box. I wonder how their algorithm looks at GWPs and if the pick 2 sample we pick gets factored in to their equations for what we like.
I don't think it does at all. It seems their store and the subscription are sort of two separate "modules" or tables or something in their database. Obvs thats just a guess though.

I don't think it does at all. It seems their store and the subscription are sort of two separate "modules" or tables or something in their database. Obvs thats just a guess though.
You're probably right, but they do look at our purchases from the store to track our conversion from sample to full size purchase. The way I read their explanation of what goes into our boxes is that our purchases are secondary to our profile, prior samples and the monthly themes. Not that I buy into all this working out correctly since we know doesn't lol but I just think its interesting! http://unboxed.birchbox.com/2012/12/29/the-birchbox-problem/

Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're probably right, but they do look at our purchases from the store to track our conversion from sample to full size purchase. The way I read their explanation of what goes into our boxes is that our purchases are secondary to our profile, prior samples and the monthly themes. Not that I buy into all this working out correctly since we know doesn't lol but I just think its interesting!

http://unboxed.birchbox.com/2012/12/29/the-birchbox-problem/
Yeah for sure. My thought as someone who works with a database that is very limited is that its easy for them to pull a list of people with store purchases and compare that to what they've received in their subs, but not as easy to ask the database to generate a box for every person that doesn't include anything they've previously received or anything they've previously purchased. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but in my head I assume thats why they don't factor in previous purchases.

I can only assume if they could they would, because what is the point of sending someone a sample of something they already buy the full size of? Of course, this is all of us just doing our speculation thing as usual. 

Quote: Originally Posted by sabinebyrne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally Posted by avonleabelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks! I hope I get a sample in June's box but if I don't I think I'll just buy it. It sounds like it would be nice to have for the summer.

I'm definitely crossing my fingers that I get this sample soon!

It sounds like others had a much better experience, but even after profuse blending, I still looked kinda oompa-loompa. I tried this out when I was just going out for a quick trip to the store, and I was glad it wasn't for a more important event because the result was really unattractive on me. I'm very, very white though, so if you have any color at all I'm sure you'll be fine. It was blendable, just not to the extent I might have liked.

. I love the Vasanti! You don't need a lot of it and I'm surprised at how many uses I am getting from the tube (and mine was less than half full). Totally my favorite scrub right now. And Supergoop CC cream didn't adjust light enough for me and I have to mix in a bit of moisturizer to lighten it up. I feel like it still balances my skin out (I have redness on my cheeks) and looks good though.. I really like it. It's on my 'seriously considering' list.. (I have other products that are still newer and I like them lol). Maybe next month when I have more BB points to spend.

Originally Posted by KayEss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by JessicaK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like others had a much better experience, but even after profuse blending, I still looked kinda oompa-loompa. I tried this out when I was just going out for a quick trip to the store, and I was glad it wasn't for a more important event because the result was really unattractive on me. I'm very, very white though, so if you have any color at all I'm sure you'll be fine. It was blendable, just not to the extent I might have liked.

Originally Posted by bluemustang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally, I would only give up on getting an item in my BB once the sample ends up in a "Pick Two" pack.  For example, the Vasanti Brighten Up that I just got - It has been in boxes for several months now, so I just kept crossing my fingers that I'd get it - but once I saw it hit the "Pick Two" section, I realized that it's probably not going to be in a box again.  So I went ahead and bought it as a sample.  (otherwise, if you see a few months go by and the sample you wanted isn't in ANY of the boxes, it would probably be safe to assume it won't be around as a sample anymore)

Of course, that's just my opinion, based on my observations.  
. I love the Vasanti! You don't need a lot of it and I'm surprised at how many uses I am getting from the tube (and mine was less than half full). Totally my favorite scrub right now.
And Supergoop CC cream didn't adjust light enough for me and I have to mix in a bit of moisturizer to lighten it up. I feel like it still balances my skin out (I have redness on my cheeks) and looks good though.. I really like it. It's on my 'seriously considering' list.. (I have other products that are still newer and I like them lol). Maybe next month when I have more BB points to spend.

Oh, boo.  I should be getting a 9 month code next month for my 2nd account and have a tube of the Supergoop CC cream in my basket.  Given that I have enough Missha BB cream to last about a year and that I use the lightest color they offer for the Perfect Cover BB cream, it seems like the Supergoop CC cream would have been a waste of money.  Thanks for the warning!

bluemustang - I love the Vasanti too!  I'm still using the first sample I got from BB, and that was in February!  I think mine was about 1/3 full.  I usually alternate my scrubs though, so it's not really the best example.

I am not even super pale, just light, and still looked orange. I have yellow undertones and this just didn't work for me.

I really really wanted to love the Supergoop but it didn't work out for me either. I put it on but I couldn't tell any difference. I thought maybe I needed more and added another layer, but still nothing. It just looked like my skin was wet.

Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with this!

I LOVE the beauty protector, but I have a ton of curly/fine hair, so it tangles extremely easily.  This allows me to detangle while maintaining the curl/wave and not turning it into pure poof. I also like that it smells nice, and not like candy, since most detanglers are for children.
same here, mine tangles at the hint of movement, and its not too wavy either. i loved the beauty protector the first couple of uses, but since my hair is thin it loves protein to a point, but in constant use it gets a bit stiff from it. it needs to be rotated for me to love it. however as a detangler, i've only ever been able to get the kinky curly knot today to help.

I heard back from BB about my defective Nipple Cream from the pick two, and they said they are out of that particular pick two, and can't send another, but they credited me 100 points. That's cool. I got to try to balm once, so I guess that's ok? Now I'm kinda wishing I had gone for the Vasanti, after I hear all this raving. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Generally, I would only give up on getting an item in my BB once the sample ends up in a "Pick Two" pack.  For example, the Vasanti Brighten Up that I just got - It has been in boxes for several months now, so I just kept crossing my fingers that I'd get it - but once I saw it hit the "Pick Two" section, I realized that it's probably not going to be in a box again.  So I went ahead and bought it as a sample.  (otherwise, if you see a few months go by and the sample you wanted isn't in ANY of the boxes, it would probably be safe to assume it won't be around as a sample anymore)

Of course, that's just my opinion, based on my observations.  
I actually got a really small sample of the Vasanti in a box 1-2 months back (it was half empty when I got it) and asked them to send me another one. At first they were just going to send it to me, but then they sent me another email saying they were out of that particular sample and just credited me 100 points. I was really surprised they put it up as a pick two and now I'm wondering if their box warehouses are different than their store warehouses.

I feel like it's much more random than that though. I mean, a month back they had mini Zoya Kristens and they haven't featured Zoya in their boxes in a while now. Also, I'm pretty sure they've never the Zoya Feel (winter 2011) collection -- the closest collection they had to it was True (spring 2012) so I'm not even sure where they got the samples... I already won Kristen from a magazine a while back so I didn't need one

I actually got a really small sample of the Vasanti in a box 1-2 months back (it was half empty when I got it) and asked them to send me another one. At first they were just going to send it to me, but then they sent me another email saying they were out of that particular sample and just credited me 100 points. I was really surprised they put it up as a pick two and now I'm wondering if their box warehouses are different than their store warehouses. I feel like it's much more random than that though. I mean, a month back they had mini Zoya Kristens and they haven't featured Zoya in their boxes in a while now. Also, I'm pretty sure they've never the Zoya Feel (winter 2011) collection -- the closest collection they had to it was True (spring 2012) so I'm not even sure where they got the samples... I already won Kristen from a magazine a while back so I didn't need one
They had it in the January 2012 box. If you had received a Zoya in a previous box, that month, you received a stila smudge stick. I received the smudge stick and ignored it until September. My aunt received the Zoya in Megan, declared that they *clearly* misspelled the name, and gave it to me because it literally had my (misspelled) name on it.

Back