Birchbox (Woman) May 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by bluemustang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you got the beauty protector this month, can I ask you a serious question? What did it do for your hair? Like, what was your hair condition before and how did it change after?

I have the most low maintenance hair ever (regular shelf shampoo, air dry, no coloring) and I guess I just don't see the appeal of most products. I mean the beauty protector didn't make my hair much softer, shinier, didn't tame my flyaways.... It made it smell pretty good but I have Garnier curl gel that also does. I guess I'm just wondering what my levels of expectations should be.... I'm generally super disinterested in most hair products and from the why people were talking about it, I expected something beyond amazing
Other than smelling good, I haven't noticed anything fabulous with it for my hair either.. I want to love it like everyone else but I just don't. I do like it as a detangler for my five year old's hair but that's kinda expensive to just use for a kiddo... That's how I felt, too...I liked it okay, but I didn't find it did anything special for my hair! Glad I'm not the only one.

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's how I felt, too...I liked it okay, but I didn't find it did anything special for my hair! Glad I'm not the only one.
LOL This actually makes me feel a lot better, which is why I asked. I was like "is something magical supposed to happen that has happened for everyone else, but not for me?"

I'll keep using the sample because it does smell good, but so does my every day perfume...

I have even tried different variations.. Using quite a few pumps.. Just two.. In between that.. Combined with different styling products.. Nada enchilada. Sad for me. LOL

WOW! I placed an order last week for the Beauty Protector...(I really didn't want to like it because I have sooooo many hair products from the Allure boxes, but

I really like how it makes my fine hair feel without using conditioner and other heat treatments...) Anyway...I used the SUPERGOOP code that someone

mentioned on here and received with my order a 1.5 oz Everyday Face & Body Lotion SPF 30, AND a 1.6 oz CC Cream!!!!  So for only $10 out of pocket (I used $20 of points)... I received the beauty protector, the small Caudalie divine oil, a pick two pack and the Supergoop lotions!  Made my day!

BTW I never received any email regarding this order being shipped, it still said Processing on the BB site....it just showed up!

I think the Beauty Protector works really well on a certain hair type, and since it was released/was a featured product back in February, my theory is they tried to match hair profiles on who it would work well for (thick, fine, frizzy hair, at least that's mine, and I was one of the first to get it).  Now, they may be including it in boxes where it doesn't necessarily match the hair type.

This, to me, would explain why it got so many rave reviews at first, and now it's a combo of "I love it!" and "meh."  I don't think this would work very well on thin, fine straight hair.  My hair is quite unruly, so the detangler helps initially when I comb it out.  It also controls frizz (at least in winter, we'll see how it does against the humidity here), and the heat protector aspect works really well for me.  But, I don't think it would work well for everyone.

Of course, I could be wrong.  Just don't tell my husband I said that!  
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the Beauty Protector works really well on a certain hair type, and since it was released/was a featured product back in February, my theory is they tried to match hair profiles on who it would work well for (thick, fine, frizzy hair, at least that's mine, and I was one of the first to get it).  Now, they may be including it in boxes where it doesn't necessarily match the hair type.

This, to me, would explain why it got so many rave reviews at first, and now it's a combo of "I love it!" and "meh."  I don't think this would work very well on thin, fine straight hair.  My hair is quite unruly, so the detangler helps initially when I comb it out.  It also controls frizz (at least in winter, we'll see how it does against the humidity here), and the heat protector aspect works really well for me.  But, I don't think it would work well for everyone.

icon_cheesygrin.gif
I agree with this!

I LOVE the beauty protector, but I have a ton of curly/fine hair, so it tangles extremely easily.  This allows me to detangle while maintaining the curl/wave and not turning it into pure poof. I also like that it smells nice, and not like candy, since most detanglers are for children.

icon_cheesygrin.gif
agree too! i got it and im one of the ones that love it - i have thick, unruly, frizzy hair so it works really well for my type. ill be buying it full size once i get my points up!

I like.it. When I use it and air dry I dont notice a huge difference. Bit softer and silkier. Nothing super. But when I use it and then blow dryand straighten... Wow! Very shiny and soft and the smell is heavenly.

If you got the beauty protector this month, can I ask you a serious question? What did it do for your hair? Like, what was your hair condition before and how did it change after? I have the most low maintenance hair ever (regular shelf shampoo, air dry, no coloring) and I guess I just don't see the appeal of most products. I mean the beauty protector didn't make my hair much softer, shinier, didn't tame my flyaways.... It made it smell pretty good but I have Garnier curl gel that also does. I guess I'm just wondering what my levels of expectations should be.... I'm generally super disinterested in most hair products and from the why people were talking about it, I expected something beyond amazing

kinda random but i just got my women's health magazine on thursday! in cause you ladies were wondering where it might be i guess they sent them out this month. this was a promotion from the April box in case anyone was lost with what i am talking about as well. 

icon_cheesygrin.gif
Teehee. Well I'm very aware that certain products aren't for everyone, which is fine... But very few people on here were mentioning things other than positives so I just thought I was going crazy 
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_cheesygrin.gif

I agree with this!

I LOVE the beauty protector, but I have a ton of curly/fine hair, so it tangles extremely easily.  This allows me to detangle while maintaining the curl/wave and not turning it into pure poof. I also like that it smells nice, and not like candy, since most detanglers are for children.

iagree.gif

I have really thin fine stick straight hair that is usually weighed down by EVERYTHING and I love the Beauty Protector. For me it's more of a sleek/shine product. I also have a little bit of frizz sometimes and it controls that well without weighing my hair down.

I have long straight hair and I felt the product was above average. Not superb as I was anticipating it to be but not terrible either. My hair root tend to be on the easily oily side so I put less on the scalp and more toward the tips. It wasn't too bad. I haven't tried it with a straightener yet though. The silkiness and shine might be better after putting it through a heating tool.

Originally Posted by AshJs3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have really thin fine stick straight hair that is usually weighed down by EVERYTHING and I love the Beauty Protector. For me it's more of a sleek/shine product. I also have a little bit of frizz sometimes and it controls that well without weighing my hair down.
Ooooo, this definitely intrigues me then! I keep hearing wonderful things about it and I have fine, thin half wavy-half straight hair and I'm constantly trying to thicken it up and give it volume. So I tend to stay away from products that weigh my hair down too. This is now on my MUST TRY SOON list!

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooooo, this definitely intrigues me then! I keep hearing wonderful things about it and I have fine, thin half wavy-half straight hair and I'm constantly trying to thicken it up and give it volume. So I tend to stay away from products that weigh my hair down too. This is now on my MUST TRY SOON list!
Yes, definitely try it!  My hair grows out straight and develops a wave around my face and a curl/flip at my chin, and this helps the curl and wave just be *better*.  And while my hair is so thick that the woman who cut my hair a couple of months ago decided it was too heavy and cut in some layers to make it not just *lay* there under its own weight (I didn't realize how heavy it was until she had done her thing), this stuff gives it a bit of *oomph* and helps make it look like it's actually a *style* and not just my hair doing its normal flippy thing that once made a friend inform me, "You look like a cartoon character!"  (He's a cartoonist, so that wasn't as odd for him to say it as it would have been for one of my coworkers.)  

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, definitely try it!  My hair grows out straight and develops a wave around my face and a curl/flip at my chin, and this helps the curl and wave just be *better*.  And while my hair is so thick that the woman who cut my hair a couple of months ago decided it was too heavy and cut in some layers to make it not just *lay* there under its own weight (I didn't realize how heavy it was until she had done her thing), this stuff gives it a bit of *oomph* and helps make it look like it's actually a *style* and not just my hair doing its normal flippy thing that once made a friend inform me, "You look like a cartoon character!"  (He's a cartoonist, so that wasn't as odd for him to say it as it would have been for one of my coworkers.)  
Your hair sounds adorable! I love imagining this curl/flip around chin! My hair is.....well it has character lol. It's straight underneath and at the bottom but curly/wavy in the middle and very much so in the very back of my head, but on top....straight again. Yeesh lol

Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I picked up a package of the pens some of us got in our boxes this month.  It was in a 4-pack and all of them write in black.  There were only 2 packages left at Walmart and they were the same price listed on the Birchbox site, so I figured they were the same.  So disappointed.  
frown.gif

If you look at the Pilot website, they all say they write in black! It's so darn confusing!

I have the black and colored ones now.  They're virtually identical - the only difference I can see is that the colored ones say M and and the black ones say F (medium and fine line weight - or whatever the proper pen terminology is).  I managed to pick up 2 packs of the colored ink at Target last night (along with the new brush tip Sharpies - you know, for my art...).  As for the packaging, the colored ink pens come in 3 and 5 packs that say "assorted ink" in the lower middle portion on the right side; the black pens come in packs of 4 and I don't recall the packaging saying anything about what color ink they write in.

Originally Posted by audiophilekate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the black and colored ones now.  They're virtually identical - the only difference I can see is that the colored ones say M and and the black ones say F (medium and fine line weight - or whatever the proper pen terminology is).  I managed to pick up 2 packs of the colored ink at Target last night (along with the new brush tip Sharpies - you know, for my art...).  As for the packaging, the colored ink pens come in 3 and 5 packs that say "assorted ink" in the lower middle portion on the right side; the black pens come in packs of 4 and I don't recall the packaging saying anything about what color ink they write in.
Aha, good info to know. Did anybody ever find them on Pilot's website? I see colored ink pens but they look nothing like the ones we received.

I tried my Beauty Protector today, and I may have to purchase a full size.. I want to finish out the sample first though, to make sure it's not a first time fluke. I have mostly thin hair, but also some thick unruly strands mixed in there. My hair naturally dries straight/wavy and super frizzy, so I usually blowdry it straight. Today I applied the BP while it was wet/damp, combed it (BP is definitely an excellent detangler), and did my usual blow dry routine. I still had a few frizzies, but hardly noticeable. I love how lightweight the BP is, my hair doesn't feel weighed down at all like it usually does with frizz creams. I'll have to see how it performs with I use a heat tool, but for now, I'm a follower!

Hmmmm ya know, in all the times I have tried the spray, I haven't actually used much heat on it. Maybe that's my problem.. I've used the spray and then I bend over/flip my hair over and blow dry my roots/top.. Then I let the rest air dry. Maybe I need to try it with drying my hair more or using a flat iron. Hmmmmmm I'll try that next time. I don't have a ton of hair but it is thicker/coarser and can frizz.. That's why I have been so surprised this hasn't been amazing for me.

Latest posts

Back