Birchbox (Woman) May 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Eh, I think people are STILL unhappy every time I look at their facebook wall. Really there haven't ever been any tell-tale signs of birchbox doing bad though, considering all of the partnerships they've made and press they get. It seems like their special edition boxes always sell out fast and a lot of items in the shop move fairly quickly too. I'm just not seeing the "red flags" the way I do with other companies.
Hm, maybe, but I feel like a lot of people here were extraordinarily unhappy with them too, whereas the last few months people on MUT have at least been defending BB/not entirely happy but at least not threatening to quit. I think a number of members did quit, and then picked their subscription back up.

I mean, definitely BB seems to be the healthiest company in terms of profit/success.

I have a lot of friends in real life who are Birchbox subscribers who don't know about other subs. They are all always very happy with their box every month, and if they don't like something, it's no big deal. I think when you start comparing what you get to everyone else, it opens the door for that unhappiness. I feel like a lot of people are also looking for a "deal." Sub boxes are meant to introduce you to new things, not be extreme couponing.

I have a lot of friends in real life who are Birchbox subscribers who don't know about other subs. They are all always very happy with their box every month, and if they don't like something, it's no big deal. I think when you start comparing what you get to everyone else, it opens the door for that unhappiness. I feel like a lot of people are also looking for a "deal." Sub boxes are meant to introduce you to new things, not be extreme couponing.
Exactly!

So last month on another forum, I participated in a build-a-sample-box circular swap, and I happened to get a box from a Canadian.  Among other things, she sent me a Marcelle waterproof eyeliner pencil in Purple Rain.  I had a vague idea that I had heard of them before.  Today, I finally got around to trying it, and, dude, *amazing* wear.  It didn't melt on me *at all*.  This is unheard of.  Urban Decay 24/7 liners and stila smudge sticks don't wear as well as this one.  I am in love.  So I toddled over to Google to see what other colors they come in and where I can get more, and the very first search result is this from a blogpost dated Thursday:

Have you heard the news? Marcelle  is launching exclusively with Birchbox in the US!
This gives me hope that they will slowly roll out color products since this seems like a longterm thing.  Now to go whine at Birchbox to see if they can get those pencils added to their store.  They currently just have Marcelle BB cream, concealer, and mascara.

So last month on another forum, I participated in a build-a-sample-box circular swap, and I happened to get a box from a Canadian.  Among other things, she sent me a Marcelle waterproof eyeliner pencil in Purple Rain.  I had a vague idea that I had heard of them before.  Today, I finally got around to trying it, and, dude, *amazing* wear.  It didn't melt on me *at all*.  This is unheard of.  Urban Decay 24/7 liners and stila smudge sticks don't wear as well as this one.  I am in love.  So I toddled over to Google to see what other colors they come in and where I can get more, and the very first search result is this from a blogpost dated Thursday: This gives me hope that they will slowly roll out color products since this seems like a longterm thing.  Now to go whine at Birchbox to see if they can get those pencils added to their store.  They currently just have Marcelle BB cream, concealer, and mascara.
I love the build-a-sample box swap idea!

:eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I want this. Any students in their 20s who have gotten this email? I wonder if they're picking based on certain demographics.
Haven't gotten anything....yet. Hopefully we will though!

Originally Posted by AshJs3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel like a lot of people are also looking for a "deal." Sub boxes are meant to introduce you to new things, not be extreme couponing.
iagree.gif

I look at my sub boxes as "entertainment," not "beauty products."  Anyone who is relying on them to fill her makeup bag and create a whole skincare routine is almost certainly going to be disappointed.

I have a lot of friends in real life who are Birchbox subscribers who don't know about other subs. They are all always very happy with their box every month, and if they don't like something, it's no big deal. I think when you start comparing what you get to everyone else, it opens the door for that unhappiness.

I feel like a lot of people are also looking for a "deal." Sub boxes are meant to introduce you to new things, not be extreme couponing.
Same, my real life friends who subscribe to birchbox and birchbox man LOVE IT. They are in it for the samples and new things to try, and don't feel "sampled out" because its the only one they have. I bought my sister a 3 month gift sub and she renewed for a year without even thinking about it. I don't think birchbox has any problem keeping its subscribers happy in a big picture way. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same, my real life friends who subscribe to birchbox and birchbox man LOVE IT. They are in it for the samples and new things to try, and don't feel "sampled out" because its the only one they have. I bought my sister a 3 month gift sub and she renewed for a year without even thinking about it. I don't think birchbox has any problem keeping its subscribers happy in a big picture way. 
Agreed, I absolutely love the idea of Birchbox, and I have a subscription for Birchbox Man as well for my boyfriend. While I don't get everything I want each month, it's so much fun trying to find spoilers and figure out what I might receive that it just makes it worth it to me. Plus the points, I've saved a ton of money on the items I've purchased thus far by taking advantage of their point system.

I didn't realize they had such a great point system. That's probably why I held off joining for so long. I have a ton of samples just from Sephora and I told myself that I didn't need any more. If I'd known about the point system I would have joined a long time ago! I also like to give my samples away. Usually around Christmas I will get together with my cousins and aunts and they go WILD for all of my samples! I think they enjoy that more than the presents!

Originally Posted by Beeyutifull /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Passing on this one....MUST SAVE $$!
I'm thinking about it. It is a bit annoying that these limited edition boxes are coming out at the same time. Glossybox came out with theirs yesterday. It would be nice if they timed it so that so at least a month or so would pass in between limted/special edition boxes.

The extreme couponing part made me LOL, but then when I thought about it, it's really true. Seeing people say that they got samples they didn't want or didn't like BUT then saying they didn't even try them just defeats the whole purpose of it. The purpose of the box shouldn't be the good deal you scored, I think that's what the points are for.

The extreme couponing part made me LOL, but then when I thought about it, it's really true. Seeing people say that they got samples they didn't want or didn't like BUT then saying they didn't even try them just defeats the whole purpose of it. The purpose of the box shouldn't be the good deal you scored, I think that's what the points are for.
I agree here. If I don't get what I want, I just save my points up (getting my box and my man box really helps I get at least 100 points every month) so it's really easy to save up and get what I really wanted from them.

I subbed to a year of BB last year for my birthday after hearing about them on (of all things) a financial advise talk show on AM radio! lol. He was talking about how it's such a great deal as long as you don't go crazy buying the things you fall in love with, lol. (his wife was a subscriber) 

My renewal is up on May 1st and I never questioned weather I would buy another year :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Birchbox has been an amazing value! I used to keep track of the values of everything I got in sample boxes so I could easily compare them. I got my $110 worth of stuff within like the first 3 months and the rest of the year was all extra- plus I made a really great points order. I paid $13 for like $114 worth of stuff from their store. 

Sure there might be the occasional bummer box, but overall I use and enjoy everything I get from BB. 

I've tried and canceled a LOT of other subs (including ipsy and now sample society) We are starting to try for baby number 2 and I've viewed this experience as a hobby and a way to stock up on stuff so i have lots of cool things to pamper myself with during my (hopeful) pregnancy. 

That being said it's time to tighten the purse strings and cut back on the old beauty budget, but BB will NOT be a causality!

This.  Sometimes I'm disappointed with a box but I just collect my points and try the product.  So far I haven't ended up *Loving* any product I initially thought wasn't a good fit, but I've been pleasantly surprised by quite a few even if I wouldn't ultimately go out and buy them. I wouldn't go so far as to say the beauty boxes are 'entertainment' for me like someone else did (I am hoping to find products I love and want to purchase in full size) but I also don't take them seriously- if there isn't a product like that one month or two months or even three in a row I just try to be happy about the points and happy I get to save my money- falling in love with supergoop, for example, has been really expensive :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyone know of any discount birchbox codes right now? Totally in love withe their new superwoman box.

Those macaron (not macaroon!) trinket boxes are ADORABLE! There's a little boutique here that sells them. I think they are like $18. I've been wanting one, but I have no idea what I'd do with it.
I think they're super cute too! I saw them a few days ago on the urban outfitters website for $10 but I don't know what I'd use it for either!

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=26008193&parentid=A_DECORATE

In other news, I don't know how much you/we all follow Canadian subs gossip, but Glymm just went out of business sometime within the last 2-3 weeks. I'm mostly bringing it up because Glymm was the Canadian sub structured most like BB -- they had a shop and a points redemption system. BB is highly profitable though -- they're featured in several magazines a month, but you almost gotta wonder... :S Especially with all the financial instability in the market right now, old and established companies failing (and then being brought back because they are TBTF =____=) Birchbox seemed to have a rough couple of months from August-->November/December of last year where they seemed to have a lot of unhappy subscribers, but it seems like they're comparatively back on track now... You almost gotta wonder though.

I'm not worried about Birchbox. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> In a recent interview, Katia and Haley said they have over 300,000 subscribers, and I know they have quite a bit of high profile venture capitalists backing them, in addition the the profits Birchbox earns. Even if all of the complainers on Facebook canceled, it wouldn't make a dent in 300,000+ total subscribers, and many more on the waitlist. 300,000+ subscribers also makes me understand why there are so many box variations.

Here's the article if anyone is interested: http://lifehacker.com/5992574/we-are-katia-beauchamp-and-hayley-barna-founders-of-birchbox-and-this-is-how-we-work

Latest posts

Back