CFDA POPSUGAR Must Have box, Special Edition April 2015 *Spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resale of the box kind says it all. Hey. I'm still hoping it's better in person. No more LE's for a bit. But summer box? Maaaaybee

MSRP or RV are subject to change all the time.  Maiyet may have started with a retail of $395 and then found they needed to lower it to make it more marketable.  Sometimes a sale isn't something that a company wants to offer either for their image or possibly because of wording on discount codes.  $395 isn't out of line compared to their other offerings.  

I used the wayback machine, and on October 12, 2014, the poison dart earring were indeed originally priced at $395.00 on maiyet's website.  Here's the link (you have to scroll down a bit):

http://web.archive.org/web/20141012223543/http://maiyet.vaesite.com/shop/jewelry

Just posting it for informational purposes.  I take no position on the true value of the earrings or on PS's valuation of the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
pricing of the earrings aside, who would curate a box with 67% of the value wrapped in one tiny item + send other discontinued merchandise - when people pay a $200 price point? 

I used the wayback machine, and on October 12, 2014, the poison dart earring were indeed originally priced at $395.00 on maiyet's website.  Here's the link (you have to scroll down a bit):

http://web.archive.org/web/20141012223543/http://maiyet.vaesite.com/shop/jewelry

Just posting it for informational purposes.  I take no position on the true value of the earrings or on PS's valuation of the box.
Thanks for sharing--this confirms that the earrings are old stock at least, which is in line with the other items included in the box.

Plus I know I wont order the fall box because I live in HI so maybbbee I should take one more chance......
You're wavering. It's meant to be a yes. Plus. Summer = Hawaii

In all seriousness I have really loved my fall boxes. I don't know if I ever tried a summer one yet

Sunglasses or buying the next summer box?

THEY donated $100. I purchased a box worthy of a $200 risk. 
Exactly--there's no place for us to claim $100 as a tax deduction, whereas they can claim the deduction. The items cannot have cost them much money AT ALL. These were clearly items the designers wanted to unload, and bc the box has "charity" associated with it, I imagine they can donate products and claim the deduction as well (tax people, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). 

Exactly--there's no place for us to claim $100 as a tax deduction, whereas they can claim the deduction. The items cannot have cost them much money AT ALL. These were clearly items the designers wanted to unload, and bc the box has "charity" associated with it, I imagine they can donate products and claim the deduction as well (tax people, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
Awe man. So true! I make light of it, but gee, really they get the tax deduction.

So, I looked back at Popsugar's announcement about this box.  It reads, "Fifty percent of the profits of each purchase will be donated to the CFDA Foundation, a not-for-profit that provides support and mentorship to emerging American fashion designers."

Does anyone know exactly what PROFIT means in this case?  Was 100 dollars donated for each box purchased or is it 200 MINUS whatever costs Popsugar incurred with the box, then 50% of that?    (e.g. 200-100=100, then they donated 50).  

The ad reads profits, not cost.  Just curious.  

What I find really insulting about this CFDA x Popsugar "collaboration" is the whole tie-in with Coachella in which they "launched" the box with lots of fun swag and a party with Mara Hoffman. The press release "On Saturday, April 11, the CFDA — in partnership with PopSugar Inc. and designer Mara Hoffman — will host a celebratory brunch for its new "Must Have Box," which is a collection of items from CFDA members." is so incredibly misleading.  Why was Mara Hoffman celebrating the box if she's not involved?  How come there isn't anything fun in the boxes we received? This whole thing is shady and I have no plans to give any more money to PSMH.  Seriously, the only fashion box with any integrity at the moment is Rachel Zoe because at least she seems to really love everything she puts in the box with her name on it.  Can the same be said for Lisa Sugar?

It is this: 200 MINUS whatever costs Popsugar incurred with the box, then 50% of that?    (e.g. 200-100=100, then they donated 50).  

The ad reads profits, not cost.  Just curious.  
Profit is after costs. Profit: a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something.  

Don't know if you guys have seen it posted in the comments on MSA, but Popsugar is now offering refunds on the box.

"Please know that retail prices fluctuate and we don’t have control over pricing after we have purchased the products. In this case we are offering the option for customers to return complete and unused boxes for a full refund. The refund will be granted once the box is received. We have attached a prepaid return label to send the box back to us. Please let us know if there is anything else we can address or assist with.

Best,

POPSUGAR Support"

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back