[Closed] Secret Santa sign ups HERE!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, got it. Thank you. I've been holding that in all year, and it actually made me wary about signing up this year, so my suppressed frustration kind of oozed out everywhere today.
No it's ok.  I don't think I would have been able to keep quiet at the time or that you should have.  If it was a tiny extra I'd feel differently, but to have the main ticket item be an explicit do not want is unacceptable. 

I wonder how much work it would be for the mods to do something like they do on the reddit gifts.  They have people sign up to be "re-matchers."  So if you don't get your gift or it is so totally out of whack, you would get something from somebody else but they don't receive items in exchange. 

I wish I could participate, but I have not been a MuT member long enough.  Enjoy ladies!!!  It seems like so much fun.

Ah, got it. Thank you. I've been holding that in all year, and it actually made me wary about signing up this year, so my suppressed frustration kind of oozed out everywhere today.
This has me a little worried also, and the reason I haven't PM'd Zadidoll yet. Is it in bad form to have a pretty specific list or wants and not wants for your present? Due to a move which resulted in a lower paying job and then having a someone steal most of our savings, money is a little tight this Christmas. I really want to participate though. I just hope I'm not offending or ruining the fun of my Santa if I have a specific list of wants and don't wants.

Quote: Originally Posted by Charity1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This has me a little worried also, and the reason I haven't PM'd Zadidoll yet. Is it in bad form to have a pretty specific list or wants and not wants for your present?

Due to a move which resulted in a lower paying job and then having a someone steal most of our savings, money is a little tight this Christmas. I really want to participate though. I just hope I'm not offending or ruining the fun of my Santa if I have a specific list of wants and don't wants.
I think lists are a wonderful thing and not bad form at all! I wouldn't be TOO picky on the list if possible because different people have access to different stores and sales and things, but I ABSOLUTELY think a long-ish list which details both specific products as well as likes/dislikes is necessary and wonderful!

This has me a little worried also, and the reason I haven't PM'd Zadidoll yet. Is it in bad form to have a pretty specific list or wants and not wants for your present? Due to a move which resulted in a lower paying job and then having a someone steal most of our savings, money is a little tight this Christmas. I really want to participate though. I just hope I'm not offending or ruining the fun of my Santa if I have a specific list of wants and don't wants.
My plan is to buy one or a few things from my secret Santa's list (depending on cost), add a few little items that are my faves, and a couple little treats, like candy or something. That way, they get something they want, try something new, and a little something sweet.

Quote: Originally Posted by luckyme502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My plan is to buy one or a few things from my secret Santa's list (depending on cost), add a few little items that are my faves, and a couple little treats, like candy or something. That way, they get something they want, try something new, and a little something sweet.
That is similar to my plan.  Look for their list if they don't have one give them some of the things that I have found that I love. I have a craft project that I have done for an extra.  And I'm going to slip in a couple of local things as extras.

As far as getting something, I'm the world easiest person because I will try anything once. And if I won't try it, I have five nieces, two sister-in-laws, a sister, mother, mother-in-law and I work in an office mostly of women.  There is nothing beauty related that goes to waste around me.

My husband wanders in Ulta and Sephora at Christmas and tell the sales associate to pick out whatever they like because he know it will work for me.

That is similar to my plan.  Look for their list if they don't have one give them some of the things that I have found that I love. I have a craft project that I have done for an extra.  And I'm going to slip in a couple of local things as extras. As far as getting something, I'm the world easiest person because I will try anything once. And if I won't try it, I have five nieces, two sister-in-laws, a sister, mother, mother-in-law and I work in an office mostly of women.  There is nothing beauty related that goes to waste around me. My husband wanders in Ulta and Sephora at Christmas and tell the sales associate to pick out whatever they like because he know it will work for me.
I am the same way. I am not picky at all & my husband can literally pick anything off a Sephora shelf & I will love it. I love trying new things & will try anything! I want my secret Santa to send me her favorite things! I love to be introduced to stuff I wouldn't buy on my own!

When I made my list I almost felt bad for whoever my Santa is, while I like Makeup, I'm not a makeup enthusiast to where I know what brands I like, which ones I don't, etc. I put the general things I like, the things I don't need/don't know how to use. Is that good enough? I felt super bad for not putting anything specific 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by amdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  When I made my list I almost felt bad for whoever my Santa is, while I like Makeup, I'm not a makeup enthusiast to where I know what brands I like, which ones I don't, etc. I put the general things I like, the things I don't need/don't know how to use. Is that good enough? I felt super bad for not putting anything specific 
icon_rolleyes.gif

That's what I'm going to do, don't feel bad. The reason I'm going to is because I wanna try ALL THE MAKEUPS!
laughing.gif
Sorry dork moment. If I could my want list would be one word: COLOR!
laughing.gif
and that's why I haven't made mine yet
icon_redface.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by amdoerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't feel bad! I think it's a great way for a SS who may have a better idea on brands to pick out things for you that you might like to try if your open to it. Actually it will probably be a lot of fun ! 

So I guess replying to this thread is the beginning of signing up to be followed by messaging Zadidoll?  Do I have this right?

I'm in, if that is so. 

I think it is okay to list specific items but as Zadi said the wish lists shouldn't be viewed as shopping lists. Part of the fun of shopping for someone is picking out fun items you think your SS would like-- not running to the store in search of a particular item. As Tulosai said, not everyone has access to the same stores/brands. That being said, I think it's perfectly fine to specify things you don't want or already have.

I agree with what many have said. If you put colors yu like or do not like and items you like and do not like that is already a great help. I do already ave a ton of items on my list, I can't help it but I just wnat to give it as ideas. Honestly, I am fine if I do not get anything of that list as long as nothing of the items and colors I do not like is picked! I would be fine with either. If it is a very specific list I would get on eof the items and some extras that I think will work and for people who have lists as mentioned above where no specific items/brands are named I am still fine with that and am sure I will find something great. What I am worried about is that I get that one person that does not have a list at all, hates colors and I get them an eye shadow palette or something similar.

I got a little stressed about my list/coming up with lists in general. Everyone who loves me HATES shopping for me because I don't like to specifically ask for things but have very specific wants. I also am the type of person who gets very anxious about surprises/uncertainty. (Lol I sound like the wrong person to sign up for SS don't I?) But I do derive a lot of happiness from buying things FOR others and I take a lot of pride in being able to buy things for myself rather than asking. I really hope my list doesn't come off as a specific shopping list (I've edited it a bunch of times...trust me) but that's really just how my brain works. Eta: and I really hope everyone has a do not want list because I would hate to disappoint the person I get!

I think lists are a wonderful thing and not bad form at all! I wouldn't be TOO picky on the list if possible because different people have access to different stores and sales and things, but I ABSOLUTELY think a long-ish list which details both specific products as well as likes/dislikes is necessary and wonderful!

I got a little stressed about my list/coming up with lists in general. Everyone who loves me HATES shopping for me because I don't like to specifically ask for things but have very specific wants. I also am the type of person who gets very anxious about surprises/uncertainty. (Lol I sound like the wrong person to sign up for SS don't I?) But I do derive a lot of happiness from buying things FOR others and I take a lot of pride in being able to buy things for myself rather than asking. I really hope my list doesn't come off as a specific shopping list (I've edited it a bunch of times...trust me) but that's really just how my brain works. Eta: and I really hope everyone has a do not want list because I would hate to disappoint the person I get!
My people! I'm pretty much exactly like this. My list (which I haven't posted yet! I figure I can continue to work on it until we get out Santees) is long, but I'm just kind of throwing out "here's everything I'm drawn to, and here's what I avoid" lists. ETA: Did I mention how gleeful my OCD is about lists? It doesn't matter what the list is for. I have lists for everything *everywhere* and multiple list-making apps on my phone.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 I really hope my list doesn't come off as a specific shopping list (I've edited it a bunch of times...trust me) but that's really just how my brain works.

Eta: and I really hope everyone has a do not want list because I would hate to disappoint the person I get!
Yeah I am also really anxious over my list and think I may have put waaay too much on there :? I've also edited it bunches but still am scared it's wrong somehow. However, I do think a list (ANY list) is definitely definitely better than no list.

Latest posts

Back