Companies who I know are not resellers. Who make their own makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by aliciaesthetics /img/forum/go_quote.gif No need to be nasty about it. People can sell whatever products they want for however much money they want even if they are a from TKB. Nasty me ? Sorry if I hurt you. English is not my first language
wink.gif
But I do not agree with you, for me, it's like a steal, I don't see the interest to sell a product similar to the other one but in more expensively except when it is to make money quickly.

I'm just a lurker around here, but felt the need to post in this thread.

Make up companies create their own version of popular colors all the time! It doesn't make the owner of Beauty From The Earth a liar. She says she formulates her own colors, who cares if they're similar to colors other companies make?

On another note, why would any of you think the spokesperson of the company is lying about her appearance on Extreme Makeover or The Oprah Winfrey Show? In doing a quick Google search, you can see that what is stated on the website is in fact true.

Seems to me that someone has something against the owner of Beauty From The Earth or someone affiliated with the company and decided to take this opportunity to bash her.

There are so many colors out these days, it's inevitable that companies will have many similarities with each other...imo. It's the other part of the formulation (base ingredients and their percentages from what I've been reading on here at least?) that will make or break me...if it looks pretty but doesn't last, doesn't apply well, etc.

Is it possible to have a truly new unique color anymore? I really don't know. Maybe.

Originally Posted by Ju000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's not a bad thing to be a retailer, but it's not really correct in my opinion to sell same items but more expensive. I disagree. That's the point of a reseller. Everyone in the supply chain from the manufacturer, wholesaler, distributor, reseller, etc etc. Some links in the supply chain will add value from doing something to change the original product while others provide value such as transportation, packaging, and labeling, all of which require additional resources and incur additional costs. If it's wrong to sell the same items for more money, every reseller is committing the same wrong from Nordstroms to Walmart to the corner liquer store when the same product is available for cheaper at Costco.
In this case, like Costco, TKB is a wholesaler that happen to also sell to the public. So as consumers, we can choose to buy products in quantity from TKB in baggies and jars/sifters in quantity and repackage ourselves or a sifter packaged in a more manageable quantity from a reseller. I don't think it's "wrong" for these resellers to repackage and resell products at retail prices so long as they do not claim to be selling uniquely formulated products created by the reseller themselves.

It is also possible that some of these resellers created dups of each others products. The formula may differ although the appearance is similar. It's up to us as consumers to decide who best to purchase from. Food for thought.

Originally Posted by TuscanGirl09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Seems to me that someone has something against the owner of Beauty From The Earth or someone affiliated with the company and decided to take this opportunity to bash her.

I agree!
It's makeup, there are going to be similarities... what- should Pepsi and Coke hash it out and decide who gets to sell cola? NYX and MAC should get together- one gets to make blue, the other green, etc.... what the heck?

I KNOW BFTE makes their own colors- I own a CUSTOM MADE color from there, and I know others that have also had colors made for them.

It also sounds a bit to me like this may be the owner of the company she's not bashing...trying to make everyone else look bad isn't going to drum up business honey- it's just gonna make you look like a jerk.
sleepyhead.gif

Originally Posted by iammakeupaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif I disagree. That's the point of a reseller. Everyone in the supply chain from the manufacturer, wholesaler, distributor, reseller, etc etc. Some links in the supply chain will add value from doing something to change the original product while others provide value such as transportation, packaging, and labeling, all of which require additional resources and incur additional costs. If it's wrong to sell the same items for more money, every reseller is committing the same wrong from Nordstroms to Walmart to the corner liquer store when the same product is available for cheaper at Costco.
In this case, like Costco, TKB is a wholesaler that happen to also sell to the public. So as consumers, we can choose to buy products in quantity from TKB in baggies and jars/sifters in quantity and repackage ourselves or a sifter packaged in a more manageable quantity from a reseller. I don't think it's "wrong" for these resellers to repackage and resell products at retail prices so long as they do not claim to be selling uniquely formulated products created by the reseller themselves.

It is also possible that some of these resellers created dups of each others products. The formula may differ although the appearance is similar. It's up to us as consumers to decide who best to purchase from. Food for thought.

Yeah, you're rigth too but like I said before, for a girl livng outside US, TKB is less expensive and more ethics. Because many retailers didn't say it, many say that's their colors are uniques and it's not true. They buy the same color with a good base in it for the "good compagny" and only the same mica color with no good base for the "bad compagny".

This is this behavior that's irritated me, because it's not true at all. And I don't want to paid more only because the product has been a repackage.

Now, if I'm living in the US, shipping is generaly free and they are no taxes on products, it would be less disturbing.

lol no, no, I don't have anything against BFTE, except, I don't believe the owner when she said "she made unique colors", so I say it, this is wrong ? I don't think so
eusa_whistle.gif

And I don't work in this industry lol I'm living in Belgium and I work n departement of justice, "ceci explique peut-être cela"
wink.gif

For unique color, I find them
laughing.gif
With Fyrinnae, ArchetypeCosmetics, etc

But I don't test every brands, so I think they are many unique colors ("heureusment").

TuscanGirl09, I don't understand nothing with Oprah, can you explain your comments ? Thank you. And like I said, if the owner say she make unique color but this is similar (very similar) to others brands, it is a problem not? Especially if the product is more expensively sold.

Originally Posted by Ju000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Nasty me ? Sorry if I hurt you. English is not my first language
wink.gif
But I do not agree with you, for me, it's like a steal, I don't see the interest to sell a product similar to the other one but in more expensively except when it is to make money quickly. Hence the reason it's up to the consumer to research research research
wink.gif
I'm a dupe fiend. For example, if I know I can get a dupe for a MAC product, then I will.

Originally Posted by JenniLeigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree!
It's makeup, there are going to be similarities... what- should Pepsi and Coke hash it out and decide who gets to sell cola? NYX and MAC should get together- one gets to make blue, the other green, etc.... what the heck?

I KNOW BFTE makes their own colors- I own a CUSTOM MADE color from there, and I know others that have also had colors made for them.

It also sounds a bit to me like this may be the owner of the company she's not bashing...trying to make everyone else look bad isn't going to drum up business honey- it's just gonna make you look like a jerk.
sleepyhead.gif

You're wrong
wink.gif

I don't talk about similarities, I talk about dupes. And many girls prefer buy Nyx because Mac is overpriced for same things. And Coca and Pepsi are not the same ingredients lol And why we talk about soda ? lol

Now, if you want buy the same color with the same ingredients for more money, it's your choice girl, but not mine
smile.gif
(just write in pink because I love pink and smileys^^).

It is interesting to see girls who never write or never see here (friends of BFTE?) and which treat me as jerk but without giving any proof to all my arguments (see my previous posts)
lol.gif

Originally Posted by TuscanGirl09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm just a lurker around here, but felt the need to post in this thread.
Make up companies create their own version of popular colors all the time! It doesn't make the owner of Beauty From The Earth a liar. She says she formulates her own colors, who cares if they're similar to colors other companies make?

On another note, why would any of you think the spokesperson of the company is lying about her appearance on Extreme Makeover or The Oprah Winfrey Show? In doing a quick Google search, you can see that what is stated on the website is in fact true.

Seems to me that someone has something against the owner of Beauty From The Earth or someone affiliated with the company and decided to take this opportunity to bash her.

Hi, here. I never said she lied about it. If you find any of me saying she 'lied' in my post, please point it out. Second, I meant by the spokeswoman has been to the Oprah show and yet she supports such company sells some of her colors from TKB as they are. Hello, Napoleon Perdis selling 20 USD of the same thing that La Femme sells for much less.
Crystal did point out that she makes MANY of her colors and customer asked them to keep those colors on theri site, read between the line. We are not discouraging buying in any of our post, just the fact. I foyu want to buy them, sure go ahead.

Do you know some colors on TKB say that they have PARABEN, palmatic acid, lakes, etc that can be found in traditional cosmetics? If some resellers sell the same products and omit the harmful ingredients, why not just buy traditional ones?

Nobody's bashing her except pointing out the fact, honey. She happened to be here and made her point, I respect that, so many resellers don't. I'm not saying she's lying, just that she did admit not all of her colors are herself made if you looked at her earlier posts. Guess waht, I do like other companies because their colors are awesome and stick well and unique from many minerals out there. Seriously, if sellers of cosmetics all feel the need to resell a product, why don't Chanel, Dior, MAC just all do it and label it high.

Rather it's some of company's fans who are bashing us. Same and dupes are not the same thing. It's funny how people are saying we're "jerk" or "nasty" yet they are not perceived as being affiliated with the company.(Isn't it nasty that consumers are tricked into thinking their products are unique) Me and Ju000 never bashed anybody on here, except pointing out the facts of resellers who claimed their products is "unique". Resellers (not just BFTE) are coy about it when it comes to what products they sell and say they're "uniquely" made, yet I received the exact item from another. To me, that's false advertising.
policeman.gif

Hi

I was wondering, I'm new to mineral make-up and I bought from a few different sellers on Etsy, I was wondering is anyone can tell me if they are re-sellers or they make theyre own.

This thread has been great info for me! Thanks!
smile.gif

to be perfectly honest i would not buy anything from a MM company that sells repackaged micas. I just dont like that, especially cos its kinda sly, trying to pass it off as their own. I dunno, maybe its just me?

A lot of ppl sell repackaged micas on etsy but i dont know who, its all hearsay, i havnt seen anything that is confirmed info. i have heard good things about theallnaturalface, orglamix and pinkquartzminerals. your pretty safe with them i think. HTH

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

Great way to tell if they formulate their own stuff is if they sell matte eye shadow shades
smile.gif
Mattes are made by grinding iron oxides or ultramarines with a base. Cant' get that at tkb! And ditto about LA Minerals. I just bought a buncha samples of their new matte shadows. (love the eggplant, parmesan, and Fig Leaf)

Another thing to keep in mind:

Pure micas usually don't stick well cuz they need a base. They might be a lovely color, but need some sticky powder base.

SOme micas are so pretty the way they come that a company might just want to add a base to them. Like the ones that are iridescent.

BUT you can't always tell by the ingredients if they added anything or not.

Some of the micas from TKB INCI (ingredients) are listed like:

mica, iron oxide, tin oxide, carmine

So if the company takes some sericite mica (white powder) and blends in some iron oxide to darken it up and then mixes it with the original mica, the ingredient list will stay the same!!

So I wouldn't judge too quickly on this. Just my humble opinion.

Silk Naturals

Lucy Minerals

Sassy Minerals

Sobe Botanicals

Detrivore Cosmetics

Stardust Cosmetics

Lumiere Cosmetics

Morgana Minerals

Dreamworld Minerals

I only tried some of them, but I research carefully before placing an order, so I believe there are no repackagers on my list. I never buy from repackagers, I don't order from a company unless I read a review from someone who can recognize repackaged products first.

This thread is quite old. I would like to point out that when Beauty From The Earth were caught repackaging, they apologized and stated clearly on their website which colours were repackaged. I have no problem buying from them (haven't yet, but probably will). There is nothing wrong about selling repackaged products unless you lie about it. There are other companies that say which products are unique and which ones aren't. They don't loose any customers because of their honesty. When Lime Crime were caught repackaging, they threatened and bullied bloggers and even people who just said they didn't like their products.

Kristen from Aromaleigh makes her own eye shadows, there were some that were pure mica, but it was stated on the website (the discontinued Pure Hue collection I believe?), and she started the Mineral Makeup Mutiny. You can find a list of companies that make their own products here: Join the Mineral Makeup Mutiny!

I believe that if someone thinks some of her products (not from the Pure Hues collection) are repackaged, they're mistaken - sometimes companies create the same colours. Just the few companies I ordered from have more than a thousand shades in total and there are only so many colours you can make.

Off topic her but I am really confused about Sassy minerals. Lauress are Sassy are from the same town here in Wisconsin and the website and products look really similar.....just something to think about

I agree with "only so many colors you can make." I have my own mineral makeup company and I am getting frustrated with the whole reseller debate. I create ALL of my products from scratch. I slaved over new bold colors for my eyeshadows for several days and was quite happy with the results I got in a blue, green and pink.

After reading a blog about companies that make their own products, I followed a link to an new company (cant remember the name off-hand) and their front page had almost the exact shades that I had been working on. Does this mean that one of us is going to be accused of reselling?

You cant re-invent the color wheel, but you can try your damndest to maintain your convictions and integrity. I myself am not happy with people buying bulk products, cramming it in a jar and slapping a label on it. I work 12 to 14 hrs a day trying to make a name for something I believe in and have a great time doing.

I currently sell on ebay and on my website. I have absolutely no traffic on my site, but am have sales on ebay. I have read that most mineral makeup companies on ebay are resellers and some of you that are this forum wont purchase mineral makeup from ebay because of this. So I present this question: how do I get my name out there without selling on ebay?

HoNeY3, you should look at the Mineral Makeup Mutiny website, they have a list of companies that make their own products. I don't know how you can get on the list, so you should contact them. I think that it's the best way of getting publicity and assuring potential/new customers you don't repackage at the same time.

You could offer free samples here (if it is allowed) or on the Mineral Makeup Mania forum. You'll get honest feedback and some publicity. You can also sell your products on Etsy. There are also many repackagers, but I think that much more people buy MMU from Etsy than Ebay - there are some quite popular sellers.

Aliciaesthetics, many people wonder if they have anything in common. From what I read it doesn't look like they resell, maybe it's the same company but different brands? Like China Glaze and OPI? I know their products have great reviews and they're cheaper than Lauress, so even if they reselled I wouldn't mind - it's not like they repackage wholesale ingredients and sell for much more. I don't avoid private label products, only make sure I'm not paying too much (e.g. indelible cream eye shadows - you can get the same product from different brands, some of them very overpriced).

I've never see that site before.. its so surprising me.. EDM is not on the list.. its say something?

I hope no because I love their proudtcs!

Originally Posted by aliciaesthetics /img/forum/go_quote.gif Off topic her but I am really confused about Sassy minerals. Lauress are Sassy are from the same town here in Wisconsin and the website and products look really similar.....just something to think about I was wondering aobut it too.. its look to similer for me.. even the LOGO

Back