ELF makeup - Overrated?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried ELF cosmetics a few years back and nothing really stood out to me except for how cheap it was! I bought eyeshadow, blush, a few brushes, and the eyeliner pen. Everything was okay except for the eyeliner pen. It was so light and hardly worked. I'm not sure if I just received an old, dried up one or if that was just how it was made.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks ELF is overrated. Don't get me wrong, I do like some of their products. I love their oil blotting sheets because its 50 sheets for $1. I also have some of their eye brushes and they're okay. They tend to come apart.

I always look on their website but because it's only available online for people in the UK I'm always weary of what to order just by going on the swatches from the website!

I like the look of some of the studio line - the blushes, eyeshadows and brushes. 

Has anyone tried these? I'm presuming they're better quality compared to the standard e.l.f line?

http://www.x-livelaughlove-x.blogspot.com

Target in my area carries elf and I decided to try a few things to see what the hype was about.Sorry to find out the makeup is crap,they only thing that i didn't totally regret are their brushes but even those are crappy quality. I did like the contouring powder in their duo blush and contouring kit but It has mineral oil in it and most of their makeup I believe does,I don't want that crap on my face.

I do enjoy Sonia kashuk's brushes,they are cheap and better quality,plus they carry it in target so it's accessible.

I love MAC, UD, Stila, etc.. but i also love E.L.F. i think you do get what you pay for in some things.  but you get a lot more than what you pay for on a lot of items, too!  i don't love everything, but i sure do enjoy almost all of it, and so do my mom and friends.  E.L.F. also has fantastic customer service.  i say, to each their own! 
five.gif

I like Elf a lot. I think it is definitely worth what you pay for it! I guess I think if you can find a dupe for expensive makeup items to go for it. People can't see a price tag on your face when you put on makeup so they will never know if it is the real thing or not
biggrin.gif

I've been leary of trying their products but I have to tell you that their makeup remover towelettes ROCK!  I use Tarte and Mally on my eyes which are "bulletproof" yet the E.L.F. has no problem removing it.  One towelette takes care of my whole face 
biggrin.gif
  There are 20 towelettes to a package and the package only costs $3.  I went crazy and bought them out once I found out they actually work!!!!!

I love ELF's Studio line - I'm glad they're expanding their products but I hope they don't raise the prices.

I only like a few brushes from the regular $1 line but if anyone is weary on the brand definitely try the studio line first. I bought a lot for my freelance kit and I only buy things I would use on myself to use on others.

My recommendations from studio line (I have extensive reviews on my blog):

Blushes - very well pigmented, the bronzer/blush duo is really nice.

Brushes - I have several, hasn't shed on me and pretty soft.

Black Cream Liner - MAC dupe

Individual eyeshadows - nicely pigmented too, just limited selections.

Eyebrow Kit - LOVE! I rec. this one often.

I just placed an order on a whole bunch of face stuff.

But really, if it works for you it works for you... something so cheap can't be overrated, imo.

Expectations shouldn't be set so high but I don't think the brand should be overlooked either.

Well considering I've made 5 orders in the last 20 days i have to say i love it. I've ordered so much ELF in the last few weeks i have at least one of pretty much everything they make. However after trying all the lines...essential, studio and mineral some of the products are hit or miss mostly in the essentials line.   Loves:   Studio Blushes - are great i own all except one, very pigmented and remind me of nars   Mineral Eyeshadows - own six and they are simply beautiful, don't bother my eyes and stays put   Studio Brushes - own nearly all of them and love every single one, have not had any problems all of mine are very sturdy   Essentials Shimmering Facial Whips - own all of them and love using them as a highlighter on my cheeks   All the lipglosses own a lot of them and i don't regret buying any of them, gloss is gloss it won't stay on your lips all day no matter what brand you buy.   The bronzer / highlighter duo   Mineral Booster in Shimmer it has such a beautiful sheen to it   All of the bronzers own all of the studio, and essentials bronzers in all of the colors and I've very happy with them.       Not so fond of:   essentials duo powder eyeshadows - bother my eyes, causes a lot of irritation and redness   essentials cream duo eye shadows - same as the duo powder eyeshadows, really bothers my eyes and causes redness.   essentials liquid eyeshadows - the four i bought didn't have hardly any in the tube, plus the tube is tiny, smaller than what you might think when you place your order   essentials shimmering eyeliner - while the colors are beautiful the liners run and if they get in my eyes really irritate them   essentials brightening eyeliner - just not fond of it, feels cheap and hurts my eyes to put it on   essentials natural radiance blusher - i ordered glow and while i love the color, it takes a act of god to get it open, plus it's so tiny, it's only about 2 inches big.       Overall i do like ELF some of the products are great and some suck. I probably will order again when i run out of the products i love. I used to be a makeup snob until i tried ELF now i realize makeup don't always have to cost a arm and a leg for me to like it. I proudly have my ELF cosmetics displayed with my mac, and nars.

I'm still loving E.L.F.! And their sales! Can't be beat. I placed 2 orders in 2 days. I just couldn't make up my mind the first order...and then decided after i placed my first order that i should have bought a few more items...so, i did! lol hubby is about to kick my butt, i have 5 boxes of E.L.F. products stacked up, waiting to find a home in my makeup collection! 

I have to say i'm a big fan of the studio line. that is my fav. you can find some good items in the essentials line, but not near as many as in studio. the mineral line is great if you wear MMU, which i only wear the shadows. i bought both mineral brush sets (well most the line, really), but have yet to try them or the shadows that i ordered. i just have so much makeup that not much gets love! i need to quit ordering and start using! Maybe i'll get that through my head one of these days. i just see the pretty makeup and have to have it "just in case" i might want to use it. lol

I really like the essentials tinted moisturizers. the tube is tiny, but it goes a long way and makes my skin so soft and beautiful! i just love the way it looks, so for $1, i bought 4 tubes. so i should be set for quite a while. i'm still on my first tube and i've been using it for over 2mos. just thought i would give the essentials line a good remark, being that it is the cheapest and not as good as the studio line IMO.

The body moisturizers, like body butters, are awesome. the milk and honey is awesome! it's so great that i ordered my son his own, so he'll stay out of mine! it is so light and fresh smelling that you can wear a perfume/cologne with the moisturizer and the two smells don't fight each other. definite bonus in my mind! 

Give E.L.F. a chance if you haven't yet. they are always running a sale of some sort and the prices are unbelievable! I didn't think low end was all that great til E.L.F. and i met! lol you won't be disappointed.

I agree I just brought a few studio brushes and they are so soft and doesn't feel cheap either, only $3 for a brush you can't beat that. And also I brought a 100 palette for $10 the colors look bold and pigmented, haven't swatched or tried them yet but will be very soon..

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love ELF's Studio line - I'm glad they're expanding their products but I hope they don't raise the prices.

I only like a few brushes from the regular $1 line but if anyone is weary on the brand definitely try the studio line first. I bought a lot for my freelance kit and I only buy things I would use on myself to use on others.

My recommendations from studio line (I have extensive reviews on my blog):

Blushes - very well pigmented, the bronzer/blush duo is really nice.

Brushes - I have several, hasn't shed on me and pretty soft.

Black Cream Liner - MAC dupe

Individual eyeshadows - nicely pigmented too, just limited selections.

Eyebrow Kit - LOVE! I rec. this one often.

I just placed an order on a whole bunch of face stuff.

But really, if it works for you it works for you... something so cheap can't be overrated, imo.

Expectations shouldn't be set so high but I don't think the brand should be overlooked either.

I also love their studio line brushes.  Totally agree that they are soft and def worth $3.00

I have ordered so many elf products these past few months. Most of them have been from the studio line. I love the studio line blushes, studio line brushes, $1 lip glosses etc. The Zit Zapper is amazing too! Made my zit go away so quick!

I've never seen the Zit Zapper!  I gotta check it out......not only for me but for my 16 y/o daughter 
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never seen the Zit Zapper!  I gotta check it out......not only for me but for my 16 y/o daughter 
biggrin.gif
I was really skeptical of this at first. I wasn't expecting too much from it at all either. My fiance and I both used it on our zits and it made them go away so quickly. It was amazing. I have used more expensive products that didn't do what this did. To keep it sanitary though I use a q tip to apply it instead of using it straight from the roller ball. Good luck! I hope it works for you too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

don't really care for them that much but if u need to run to the store, or go to school for a few hours or even work where makeup should be minimal and classic-looking anyways, its a great buy--better than bringing out the dept.store makeup just to run a few quick errands....just a thought

Originally Posted by Thugluvgrl187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was really skeptical of this at first. I wasn't expecting too much from it at all either. My fiance and I both used it on our zits and it made them go away so quickly. It was amazing. I have used more expensive products that didn't do what this did. To keep it sanitary though I use a q tip to apply it instead of using it straight from the roller ball. Good luck! I hope it works for you too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm heading out now so hopefully I can find it!!!!!!!

I had to have elf send me 3 palettes til i got a complete, unbroken one!  but i just swatched them last night and they are very pigmented, most are anyway. i think out of 25 or so that i swatched that only 1 or 2 were a little less pigmented. that's not bad at all! the colors or beautiful. the shadows are soft, so don't press too hard. and yes, the studio line is wonderful! definitely worth the money. and there is always a sale going on. my hubby thought i was crazy with all the colors swatched all over my hand and up my arm! lol but even he noticed how nice these are pigmented and blend well. 

i have brushes from all three categories, essential,studio, and  mineral. all i've used so far is the studio line brushes and i love them! so soft and work so well. i'm looking forward to trying out the essentials eyeshadow brushes and blending brushes, since there are so many great reviews out there on them. and i should trust my mom b/c she just loves them, too! doesn't mom know best? LOL you won't be wasting your money. well worth the few bucks. and always good to have back-ups!

Originally Posted by prettygurl25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree I just brought a few studio brushes and they are so soft and doesn't feel cheap either, only $3 for a brush you can't beat that. And also I brought a 100 palette for $10 the colors look bold and pigmented, haven't swatched or tried them yet but will be very soon..

Back