Favorite Wine

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a big drinker (too much bad family history) but when I do drink I like wine. I prefer Merlot and Chardonnay's over anything else. I also like a lot of fruity wines like Blackberry Merlot and Peach Chardonnay.

I had a friend whose mother used to make blueberry wine. It was delicious. I have her recipe somewhere and need to try making it.

Also there's this Japanese restaurant that my fiance and I frequent and they have the most delicious plum wine. It's really sweet and it's deceiving. It seems like it's a light wine (light as in alcohol not in how filling it is) but wow, it packs a punch. I had two glasses one night with dinner (over the course of two hours) and when I stood up I nearly feel over. And I am not a lightweight.

-- Lissi

Hello Miss Golightly!! I had an Australian Shriaz at a weekend Birthday Party. I forget the name...it was called Peter Something. It was really nice. I was surprised. I haven't had a lot of experience with Shiraz wines. In California, we call it Syrah..and I don't like the way it tastes at all. But the Australian Shirazes taste, to me, way smoother. I'll keep an eye out for Brown Brothers and Penfold's Grange....I'm so excited!! I'm going to go Wine Shopping tomorrow!!:patches:

Robert Mondavi's wines are one of the few Californian labels which are widely available here in Switzerland. One of the reason might, just might, be the fact that Robert Mondavi's wife, I think her name is Margarit, is from Switzerland. Oh, and LOL..they are wallet breaker$$$ over here...considered a *top shelf* wine. Um, I just made up that word *top shelf wine*.

Hey Elisabeth! Do try the Brown Brothers, it is lovely & fruity, and great for warmer weather! I think the wine you tried might be Peter Lehmann? Very good wines,too! From what I've read, the syrah grape tends to like the Australian soil & sun...apparently, it makes the grape fruitier & intense...maybe this is why the Australian Shiraz's are more favourable to our palates! We are enjoying a Zonte's Footstep shiraz wine tonight...another aussie favourite! Hope you bought & enjoy a nice bottle for yourself! Cheers!

Peter Lehmann!! That was it!!!!! Thanks Miss Golightly! I'm going shopping tommorrow...can't wait...he he.

What you say about the Syrah grape makes total sense. I'm completely clueless as to the cultivation aspect (or any aspect really, but shhhh, don't tell anybody...) of wine. But I do know that around my parents' place in the foothills of California, where they have a small house and some acreage, that it is prime Zinfandel country; and that the vineyards in the area (there are quite a few) are famous for their Zinfandel producing grapes.

How was everybody's wine weekend?

Just checking in with us winos.....

Ella,

I had decanted wine the other night for the first time...(ok, the waiter did it..I'm still kinda too scared to try this at home..as I'm a bit of a klutz)

and it was very good...!!!

My BF for his birthday got from his folks 3 bottles of 1999 Pommard.

The label on the back says in French: Cépage: Pinot Noir Origine: Pommard, Cöte (sorry no thing-ama-jig on my computer) de Baune.

My Bf says it is a good wine, but I'll let you know after I've tried it....

I don't know...I kind of got this Tingle....when I looked at the bottle.Does anyone ever get.....The Tingle?

What the hell am I talking about....the Tingle:doh:

Five months ago I didn't know jack..and now, I think I'm Miss Expert or Something..talking about tingles. What's Up with that? Maybe someone needs to kick a little wine humility into my sorry rear end.

White win. Red is too heavy for me. I especially like Pinot Grigio and Sancerre.

Still waiting for that butt kicking...Ella? Miss Golightly? I know it can't be because everyone's stopped drinking wine?:sheep: :scared:

Stopped drinking wine...never! My partner & I have been trying white wines (we mainly drink red, so don't know alot about white)...my partner bought a bottle of 2002 la chapelle de lafaurie peyraguey sauternes...and oh my...it was the best white wine I've ever tasted! It was very creamy, and it tasted like honey...almost like drinking nectar! I've never had a wine quite like it and am now converted to white semillion wines! This was definetly a 'tingle' inducing wine!!

We also tried this wine last night, it was again, an amazing wine...looked like a brandy and was very delicious...I couldn't have more than a glass, as it was so heavy and sweet!

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/wine/mid825...359467061.html

How was the Pommard? I've not tried that...1999, so must be aged nicely! I've also been drinking cherry beer from Germany...have you tried that? Europeans do make the best beer, by far! What else have you been drinking lately?

Thanks for the rec. I don't drink white wine..but it is summer, and I occasionally enjoy a glass or two when it is way too hot...like now..to drink red ( I stil drink red, but , you know what I mean). I love the nectar description...so I am def going to use the link you provided to see if we can get it over here..thank you again for the link!!!!:rockwoot:.

The Pommard ways very, very, disappointing.:sleepyhead:

I had very high hopes for it..and it's overall taste did not match it's price tag. It was vinegary and had hardly any personality at all. My bf, aka the wine man of the family, also thought that for the price, it was one of the worst possible wines he had ever tasted. We (he) got three bottles as a birthday gift and we ended up (evil buggers that we are:10:) giving away two of the bottles because it was just no good.

We are opening a bottle of Medoc ( a French Bordeaux) this weekend..and I am really looking forward to that one!!!

Oh, and I am feeling you on the beer thing....oh yes. I love Beer. It is very healthy. My favorite is Stella Artois from Belgium....unfortunately, my hips do not like beer as much as I do...so I only drink beer maybe once every two or three months or so. If I drank as much beer as I liked, I would for sure have the beer belly to end all beer bellies:laughing:. Yes, Germans pride themselves on their beer. In their opinion, if beer isn't German, well, it just isn't beer. I've tried some good ones, and dang, for an American, well, those beers are mighty, mighty strong...

Have a good weekend , Miss Golightly!!!!..and I'll let you guys know on the Medoc!!!! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The Medoc was a dream. I think it is my favorite.

Yesterday, we had August 1st here, which is Switzerland's version of July 4th in the US. It is their Independence Day.

We cracked open a Spanish Rioja which was made from the Tempanillo/Termanillo whatever..grape, and wow, it is my impression that it is kind of hit-and-miss with this grape. I really enjoyed a glass of this I had in England, but this bottle was not so good..I forget the brand, I'll try and fish the bottle out of the bin, but it was really a striking difference between this one and the one I drank in Cornwall.

LOVE Mavrodaphne.. but that could also be because i'm greek.. good choice!!

I'm a WINO!! LOL! I drink different ones, I'm partial to Concha y Toro which is a pretty inexpensive wine, but it's really great! I've tried there Merlot, Chardonnay and there's also a Merlot-Shiraz mix.

And for the person that says White Merlot, I drink alot of that! I buy the cheapy cheapy kind, Gallo makes a White Merlot, that's really good.

I LOVE WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looooove wine. I don't so much care about brands (as long as it's not too cheap) but I like Shiraz and Pinot Grigio. They're my faves. What's that Australian brand - Yellow Tail I think? I love their Shiraz. I like Chardonnay too

Hello you guys!! Welcome Eileen and princess!!!!!

LOL. We are all WINOS ..*Ahem* I mean, conniesewers, here.

Eileen.....Concho y.....Say What??? OMG!! That would be so much fun just to order that..forget about drinking it...LMAO!!! :laughing: ,. Say to the waiter, tossing your hair back, " Yes, I thhhink I would like the Concho y Torrrrro...Senor" (sorry no cedillas sp? on my German computer).

That would be very sexy. Is it a red wine????

i'm not a big drinker of alcohol but i like the wines that are too strong . more on the sweet side

I'm not sure, I'm pretty new to this, but it is reassuring to know that it doesn't necessarily have to be expensive to be good. I think I'm learning that from this thread and the wonderful ideas and recs that everybody has.

TBH, I haven't (since the dream Medoc) really had a wine that captured my heart:happy::gaehn:..Lately......*Sigh*.

I'm with you on that one, ivette!!!

Like a Nice Ruby Port on a cold, dark evening with the fire going...:hug::cloud9:

echo falls....rose is good. white makes me tipsy very easily and ive recently gotten into red.....strangely i dont go so red in the face when i drink red haha.

OO & i loooove pink champagne

xxx

Back