Favorite Wine

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom is the same way.....can't drink red wine..doesnt like it at all. Funny, with this blood type dieting thing I'm doing or trying to do it says that for certain blood types red wine is not the best thing for the system..but for other types it is...I looked up my mom's..type O..and sure enough, it said red wine was not the best thing...???? Weird.

Pinot Grigio is my favorite, but if I'm in the mood for red I drink Pinot Noir

Oohhhhh Ewww.. tonight we had something delicious and it's fast becoming one of my favorites. Not a huge Champagne fan, (the really Brut ones give me a headache), nevertheless love this new Litchi flavored champagne

from a brand over here called Cafe De Paris.

It sounds cheesy like Boone's Farm or something....

and I don't usually like the flavor of Litchis..but this is the most yummy

champagne I have ever had. It is really sexy. I know..champagne ..sexy?

But it is not too sweet and doesn't even taste like fruit.

Yum!:icon_love

Bump!

I went out to a Greek Restaurant for lunch (in Europe it's ok to drink wine with lunch):whistling: :santa: ..and had the rockinest red Greek wine called MAKEDONIIKOS TSANTALI....2004......from Macedonia.....

anybody ever heard of this wine? I wonder if Sophia has heard of it?

Anyway, it was so decently priced that I took a bottle home!

I had never tried Greek wine before and the owner of the restaurant was so stoked I bought a bottle he gave me an on-the-house glass of OUZO!

LOL! It's a good thing I already went to the post office.

NAME: MAKEDONIKOS TSANTALI

YEAR: 2004 -so young, but so good

PRICE: 12 Euros..approx. 10 USD, I think!

C'mon, what happened to all of our wine drinkers out there??

Wow! Oh Dear Goodness! I thought I was alone in here...Talkin' to Myself (not that that would have stopped my big mouth..LOL)

Oh, this Greek wine was just absolutely delicious, and I had no compunction whatsoever about getting halfway slosshed on it over noontime.:eusa_whistle:

Thanks for the wisdom and advice about the "retsina", Paul. Is it really awful? skunky? vinegary? cat box bad? what's it like?...I don't care for white wine that much anyway..I don't know, maybe I just haven't tried the right one..?

Well, let's see..people drink strange stuff for an aperitif here. They are heavily influenced by the surrounding countries and like things like Pernod with Orange Juice (France), Campari and O.J. (Italy) and have this nasty stuff called Cynar which is derived from Artichokes and is really, really, bitter. Most Swiss aperitifs are bitter (supposedly in the good old days the pre-alcohol was to line the stomach in preparation for any bacteria that may be caused by the *cough* high quality of meat to be ingested during the meal)...and I do not like bitter.They sometimes have fruity wines, but if I drink too much sweet, like Dubonnet- I really used to like Dubonnet- it spoils my appetite. The only ****tail I sometimes have before dinner is a Gin Martini (dirty) straight up with two olives in it. Vodka doesn't agree with me, but I do like Gin. It is considered here in this conservative country a bit forward and bold and strong and not modest to drink this drink. But I don't care. I don't have it often.

As far as US wines go, I don't know, I'm biased as I'm from Northern California...:icon_lol:.. but from what I've experienced, the best California Reds are not imported, at least not here to Europe. What they consider *good California wine* is, really, IMO, pure crap. Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi? Sutter Home Merlot? Please! And I'm not even that picky, but that stuff is foul! You have to be in California to get the best California wines, IMHO. And it is no big deal, you can even buy them at Safeway. Our Safeways have some of the best wine selections and are often overlooked. So, I'm not sure you are getting the pick of the crop in Canada. I know we (I) am not in Switzerland. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.......and finally......

Greek Easter sounds fun! Was it a good party? and yes, the weather is disgusting everywhere this year! Don't even get me started about "cheerful" central Europe...!It just seems it has been whacky weather all over the planet.

Welcome Rosepetals!:wavey:..Ewwww..I'll bet you've got some good wine down in Australia. I saw a bottle of Syrah yesterday ( I think it was Syrah...:icon_scratch:)

and it was from Australia; I didn't get it, b/c I know nothing about Australian Wine. Yeah!! another Wino! I mean, you know, Wine Fan!:yay:

Ohhh I love this Dancing Purple Elephant!

Thanks Elisabeth! :icon_razz

The fragrant of a real good Gewuerztraminer is seductive. Before buying them, one should do a few tastings and then pick the wine which fragrant makes you “highâ€.

In Australia we call "Shiraz" instead of "Syrah" (same grapes, only different names).

I’ve found a story about the names “Syrahâ€, “Shiraz†and “Scyras†in

http://pweb.netcom.com/~lachenm/month/02/01.html :

"Syrah" is best known for its role in France's Rhône Valley, where it is the principal red grape of the Northern Rhône, starring in wines such as Hermitage and Côte-Rôtie. It also appears in the wines of the Southern Rhône, though Grenache is more widely cultivated in that region. Today, Syrah is produced in many areas of the world, and some people even argue that the grape is most widely known, at least among casual consumers, by another name, "Shiraz" (more on the importance of this name in a moment). "Shiraz" wines were popularized by the Australians, who generally favored a lush, fruitier, less-earthy, and more forward style than the Rhône vintners. Today, you can also find "Shiraz" from South Africa and the United States. However, regardless of which name is used, the grape is still the same.

Syrah has been known by many names at various times and in different regions, but "Syrah" and "Shiraz" (along with some variants) have contributed most to the myths about the origin of the grape. The most widespread story used both names to point to an Eastern origin. The ancient Persian city of Shiraz was famous for its high quality wine. As a result, some people believed that Syrah was a corruption of "Shiraz," denoting that the grape had its roots in that region, being introduced into France by Romans, Crusaders, or trade (depending on the version being told). Some Australians have gone so far as to claim that their name is really the "proper" historical designation, and that they aren't using the French "corruption." However, like many aesthetically pleasing stories that aren't based on much evidence, this one falls apart if you look carefully at the facts.

First, the idea that this red grape made the Persian city of Shiraz famous seems unlikely, at best. Shiraz was famous for its white wine, not red. Second, the name of the grape doesn't really point at one unique possible origin. Using the name of a grape to determine its origin has its own difficulties (as you'll see later), but even if you accept the validity of the technique, the relationship between Syrah/Shiraz and the Persian city becomes quite murky. Shiraz was given that name in Australia after being imported from france by James Busby in 1832. Unfortunately, he didn't call it Shiraz; he noted the grape name as "Scyras". Now "Scyras" and "Syrah" may share some similarity to "Shiraz," but people have also argued for a connection to Syracuse (on Sicily), from where it could have been brought by Romans, or Cyprus. Since the name doesn't just lead to one possible origin, but to many, its usefulness is limited at best. The circumstantial evidence, along with ampelographic analyses of various Rhône grapes, led experts to abandon the city of Shiraz hypothesis years ago. However, the myth has continued to spread; in the past year, I've heard it from wine enthusiasts, retailers, and even, just last month, a local wine columnist.

Fortunately, in June of last year, scientists Carole Meredith, of the University of California at Davis, and Jean-Michel Boursiquot, of L'École Nationale Superiore Agronomique de Monpellier, produced a definitive study, absolutely settling the question of Syrah's origin. Their DNA analysis established that Syrah is the offspring of two obscure French grapes, Dureza and Mondeuse Blanche. Dureza is grown in the Ardeche region, west of the Rhône, and Mondeuse Blanche (a.k.a. Dongine) is a relative of Mondeuse Noire, both of which are grown in the Savoie. With two French parents, it is absolutely clear that Syrah is indigenous to France, despite any more exotic myths you may hear.

Whatever the name, and regardless of its origin, Syrah can make wonderful wines, with fruit, earth, spice, and pepper elements. The best Syrahs reward aging, and many are great to drink in their youth. Even though it may not have as exotic of a history as some people thought, it still gives plenty of pleasure in the glass!

Well, I think you are more of a true wine purist, I mean appreciator, than I am. While I don't care for most hard liquor (not even gin that much), I cannot resist the after-dinner cognacs (like Grand Marnier, my favorite) that taste like fire in a glass. But your compromises sound like good ones.

The Jack London Vineyard in Kenwood produces some very good wines! Totally off topic, I had a friend who lived in a cabin in Kenwood and she would let me have her place when she was away for *romantic getaways* when I was single. It is a lovely wine-growing region.

Oh, and yes, the Fendant Du Valais ....LOL... we have about 5 cases in our cellar! It is one of my BF's favorite wines. Since I don't care for white wine, you know,...I'm:eusa_wall: stubborn like that...I only drink it with cheese Fondue. Never much of a cheese person before, OMG! I have to limit myself to 3 Fondues a year. I just cannot resist Cheese Fondue!! I homemake it with Garlic, Nutmeg, Wine, Kirsch Wasser,...:chef_smiley:..It is delicious but shows no mercy on my Dinosaur hips.

Yep, the Fendant Du Valais, is, in fact, probably our best Swiss Wine.

rosepetals!!! You know a lot about wine! It will be great to have you on this forum!! Plaflueur10 is one of the true wine savants...I'm just an observer/appreciator with no real knowledge Your above post left me breathless! LOL!

Way Cool!

Blue Nun is good, although I prefer Walter Red (available in NY, but didn't see it before I moved here) or Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot... There's another German white wine I like, but I can't remember the name of it to save my life suddenly! Oh, and Lambrusco is nice too!

I bought last weekend a bottle of 1999 Syrah from BONTERRA Vineyards

of Mendocino, California.

We drank (or tried to drink) it this weekend. It was wretched.

:yuck2:.

I don't know what was wrong with it. At first, I thought it was too Oak-y, but it was just bad. And it was not cheap, either.

Maybe Bonterra has other types of wine which are better,

but save your $$ and taste buds/stomach and give this one a pass.

1999 Syrah, Bonterra Vineyards, Mendocino, California.

Not to be confused with Mendocino, the town.

By all means, visit beautiful Mendocino if you get the chance.

oo ... fun thread ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i like Merlot. Is sake considered wine... cuz sake is good too... but i guess it's an acquired taste

Sake= Japanese Rice Wine=Wine for sure!!!! Sake is wonderful!!

In Napa Valley, in fact, they had the most beautiful Japanese Sake *Vineyard* with Japanese gardens, and tours and everything. In the end, you got to go into this room with mats on the floor and fountains to do the tasting. I only went once, but it was pure magic! LVA, do you have a favorite brand of Sake that you like?

i haven't found a favorite yet. But i did find one that was pretty close to it in a restaurant i went to a while back.. . can't remember what it was....

I'd love to hear your recs for Sake...

A lot of my friends hate how it taste ... I'm realli surprise u like it .. yea!

not @ all. Not every1 likes to drink. My parents don't drink very much .... I think a sip of wine on Sundays is the most the drink LoL

Back