Favorite Wine

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my case, my enjoyment of wine has really nothing to do with "Drinking"!!

....and if you believe that, I've got some beachfront property in Palm Springs for you... :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

No, joking aside, for me it has to do with my family/roots. My grandfather's family had a small vineyard in Italy, and then France, and then back to Italy. I was given red wine mixed with water since I can remember. For me, it represents an important link to my heritage and is a very emotional thing for me. Although I have no living ancestors left in Italy, I once a year try to get to the town to visit the graves of my grandfather's mother, father, brother and his brother's wife. Haven't been there for awhile, though...

It's no big deal to not like to drink alcohol, and I know several people who should not and cannot drink for alcoholism reasons. Others just plain don't care for it. Or some, like I was, never really liked it until they had a really, really, good glass of wine/champagne..and went "whoa!" I don't care much for wine...but...that was not bad...

Kim,

The sake winery in Napa is called Hakusan. Hakusan Sake. Also from California, (where They..I don't know who they is.. say the best sake comes from) is Gekkeikan from Folsom, Ca. and then there is Takara from Berkeley. I'm not sure if you can get any of these in Twin Falls, though, it's worth a try?! I got this info from www.coastnews.com and www.vinography.com. The last is a wine blog which is pretty interesting even if your not that into wine. I don't really know any brands of sake from Japan, but maybe Leony does...:sunshine:I have never had Bad sake...but I'm no gourmet expert.. :laughno:

You're sort of talking to Noah about the flood...on this one!

My Bf also says this..blah blah..wine is fattening.

Yeah, alright for pete's sake.

But if we are going to be perfectly honest here, I'm not going to worry about consuming red wine. Red Wine (which I have been sorta drinking my whole life)..has never caused me to gain weight. Now, if you'd like to talk about hot bubbling gooey cheese fondue, creamy, delicious, pastries... Mouth Watering Savory Roasted Young Chickens with the gravy dripping off...well, ok. You get the idea. Those are my true concerns. Plus the fact that I was borderline anorexic for the first 35 years of my life, and never enjoyed food, wine or anything. It's really hard for me not to go to an extreme the other way now...so I have to be really careful. But I think it's natural to worry (not really worry, just want to pay more attention to) about almost every aspect of your appearance over the age of 40.

Does Boonesfarm count? It's not good wine unless It's got a screw on top:laughing:

Just kidding, but I'm more of a beer girl. In the bottle, not a glass. I have no class at all.

Wow! Those are actually some of my favorites. I'm a big white wine drinker, but I especially can't resist sparklers.

Another good one is Por Roger.

I usually stick to the Moet Chandon for mixing though. It makes a great mimosa if you add a splash of Grand Marnier.

What you talkin' 'bout Willis??

You have mucho classo, GF!

Class has nothing to do with what you drink or how you drink it. :flowers: :smileno:

You can even say words like mucho classo and still have class.

You'd have class no matter what you drank, Kelly.

You can trust me on this one.

P.S. I remember the Boonesfarm Strawberry Wine. I only drank it once mixed with selzer/soda water. But that night my stomach and I saw hell...

so, we both have never been back...

Hello!

Do you have any favorites?

You're from Canada, too....

Are there any brands that you particularily like?

Yesterday,

I had a big, kind of strange, Treat.

We went to a *World Cup Soccer Party* where the family had a Small Apartment (in Switzerland...75% of all people live in Apartments..even those in higher income brackets, as there is not a lot of space).

The Husband/Dad

gets a grin on his face and take us into his *basement*....

He opens up this door.....

And in this dimly lit, Gorgeously Cool room, painted in Tuscan Terracotta with accents of Olive Leaf Green...with Stones on the floor....is his...

WINE CELLAR. Not just any Wine Cellar, but he has 920 bottles of wine in here, climate controlled, candles all over the place, a special table with violet velvet on it for tasting (It sounds tacky, but it wasn't). He told us he spent 12,000:str: Swiss Francs!!! to build it. Holy Moly. I have never seen a private Wine Cellar like that. He showed me a bottle of wine from 1962!! The funny thing is, we were just going over there to watch a soccer game, we didn't even know he "kept" wine.

I don't think I'll ever get that goofy about wine....

But I sure did like the room!!!!!

Im not a huge wine fan, but I do like a few.Nothing pricey though.

JacksonTriggs Saviougn Blanc. La Piat D'or. Two Oceans somthing or other and Beaujolais.....I realize i prolly spelled that wrong...whatev!

i'm not a very big wine drinker, but if i do, i like them sweet and not dry. i also like ice-wines.

The good news is that we are going back to this guy's wine cellar on Friday,

and that's when I'm going to try to get him to actually.....

open up a bottle of something gooood. I have no idea what that would be, but I figure it's got to have dust all over it and look very old.

You see, I know nothing.

oh cool, a wine thread!!!!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

okeeee, my favs: Beaujolais- pretty much any regular and some years of Nouveau- last year was amazing, the year before- a bit on the dry side.

Right now i'm in love with Arcs-it's Grenache spiced with Tempranillo. It has a bit of a sparkling quality to it, and is amazing chilled.

So you found us, ehhhh????? :rockwoot::rockwoot: :glasses:

Damn, the winos are Busted Again.

We don't get a lot of Beaujolais over here, either that or I'm totally clueless:tocktock: :laughing: . I suspect it is the former.

Update on the Dude with the Dream Wine Cellar...well, yesterday, today is Saturday here, we were supposed to once again be graced with a Glimpse into the world of Order, Beauty, Expertise and Refined Taste.

Well at the really, Last Minute ...Very, very, Un-Swiss, these people plan everything... His wife calls up and says that he had an unexpected Prior Commitment connected with his Work. It was just an excuse, but oh well.

I just finished two glasses of okay so-so nothing special 1999 Bordeaux Chateau Du Reval. I don't know anything about wine, but could it have been too young? It didn't have cork or anything..and it had the pieces of tannin..Is that what it's called? On the bottom.

Ella, I've never tried Arcs, but I had a glass on Tempranillo in England on the beach and, well, I had no complaints whatsoever.:cloud9:

I haven't tasted that many wines in my life yet. So far, I've liked Pinot Grigio and Merlot.

My husband and I enjoy Muscadine wine. I know it is sweet and for some people to sweet but evrywhere we go, we try to find and taste new brands of Muscadine.

i've also been mucho into decanting lately. Of course that means that we have to finish the whole bottle in one sitting, but we've been managing that just fine ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi Kirsi! Welcome! Do you mind if I ask you a question about the wines in Finland? I've been to Sweden (Stockholm) and really thought it was so, so, beautiful, but not to Finland. Anyway, is the wine in Finland expensive? I've heard it was kind of, and that folks in Helsinki actually take the boat over to Tallin to buy alcohol. What brand of Merlot do you drink in Finland? Does it come fro California or somewhere else?

Wow! I've never tried it before. I'm a classic out-of -the -bottle girl.:noob:.

I meant me noob, even though the arrow is pointing up. This sounds Elegant and Sexy, though, and, oh, yeah, as an aside helps bring out the flavors and nuances of the wine. For those who don't know what decanting is....uh, Not like me, of course,:whistling: this article describes decanting..http://www.nymag.com/restaurants/art.../decanting.htm

Hmm, I may try this..Has anybody else tried decanting? Do you like it?

Encyclopedia Source: Muscadines are a grapevine Species native to the present-day Southeastern United States that have been extensively cultivated since the 16th Century.

That sounds delicious, Regina. I love Sweet Wines. The article ( I didn't post it) also mentioned that this wine is present in South Carolina. Do you have vineyards there, then? That is wild. I mean, who knew, vineyards in South Carolina. Can you visit the vineyards to taste the wine? Now, that would be a nice way to spend a Sunday!!!

Brown Brothers Tarrango...lovely Australian shiraz.Also on the more expensive side, Penfolds Grange...just gorgeous! I'm also quite into Merlots, at the moment...still sampling bottles, haven't settled on a fav...yet!

Back