For those with Afro-(curly/coily)textured hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ladies! I am a hair product junkie. I work in the fashion and beauty industry and get just about every new product in the WORLD! Needless to say my closet runneth over! The hardest thing to find are products that address women of color's diverse hair needs. I have fallen in love with L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner (yellow package). My hair is very thick. I shampoo and condition and leave just a little of the conditioner in my hair and let it air dry and style it. It makes your hair very soft.

I also use Kerastase Oleo Relax (for dry, thick, frizzy hair) and Biolage.

Originally Posted by ChocolateStar Hey Ladies! I am a hair product junkie. I work in the fashion and beauty industry and get just about every new product in the WORLD! Needless to say my closet runneth over! The hardest thing to find are products that address women of color's diverse hair needs. I have fallen in love with L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner (yellow package). My hair is very thick. I shampoo and condition and leave just a little of the conditioner in my hair and let it air dry and style it. It makes your hair very soft. I also use Kerastase Oleo Relax (for dry, thick, frizzy hair) and Biolage.

hello chocolatestar and welcome to mut. i'm monnie from michigan!

My hair has like 3-4 different textures! Along the hairline it's still baby fine, but the back and the center are extremely nappy! Then the rest is decent. I have to get it relaxed every 8 weeks, but I normally go longer. Luckily, I've learned to completely simplify my hair regime while still looking good... It just takes my hair too long to dry to mess w/ it!!!

TRESemme Shampoo & Conditioner for Dry & Damaged Hair

Queen Helene Cholesterol

B&B Oil Moisturizing Lotion

Oil Sheen Lite

Minimal blow drying & curling

I generally braid it into a cornrow after I wash it, then let it air dry. Once I've done that, I run the blow dryer through it before straightening it w/ the curling iron. After that, I don't touch it until I wash it again. If I can get away w/ not curling it, I do.

Originally Posted by dbrown82 I wash my hair every day with dominican hair products. My hair strand is fine, but its dense( makes it appear thick). I've been growing my hair out for a year now, and i'm just trying to get it back to my waist. Dominican hair products are my best friend, and denman brush.
Here are some pictures....

I don't wash my hair everyday, but I do use/love dominican conditioners. I've got a whole closet full of 'em. Late last year, I ordered seven or eight boxes of products, so I'm pretty well stocked up, and won't need to order anything anytime soon. I've noticed when I slack off the products that work, my hair tends to go crazy and lose her mind. If she could talk, I know she'd be cussin' me out bigtime. Anyway, now I found out that they'll be discontinuing several of the products I love the most. That has made me mad as I don't know what. Okay, here goes my regimine as of today:Every 4 days or so start w/a light/medium protein treatment

Wash w/ whatever poo I have, then deep condition with moisturizing treatment

Apply a host of leave-ins and airdry overnight mostly

Once my hair is dry, I use a straightening comb. I don't know how to use a flat iron, then I use a curl iron. This is the only time I use heat. My hair usually stays curled for a day and a half, then I rollerset. I don't like doing rollersets b/c it takes forever and my arms, back, and neck ache so much. Well, that's all I can think of for now. This post is already long as heck, so if u have any questions/suggestions concerning my regimine, I'll answer on another post.

I use:

L'oreal elvive shampoo or dove shampoo

L'oreal elvive conditioner

ORS hair mayonnaise

Hi everyone, My hair is shoulder length ( in the pic I wore it up) I don't know if anyone has covered this but I have a little problem w/dandruff yet I need to wash my hair about every 4 days due to it gets really oily ( I don't grease my scalp either). Any suggestions
satisfied.gif

ok im new so i'll add to this YAY.

I have relaxed hair but naturally its really wavy (it doesnt coil...but i wish it did).

I use Organic Root Stimulator products. I wash my hair twice a week w/ Uplifting shampoo and condition it w. The Organic Root Mayonaise (the best stuff on EARTH).

Twice a month i deep condition my hair by adding an egg to the mayo and letting it sit for 2 hours wrapped in a warm towel.

I dont grease my scalp as much as i should but for that i use Jojoba Oil and to keep split ends at their minimum i use Carrot Oil Cream.

as far as relaxers i get one every other month to two months if needed. Usually i can go w/ just flat ironing it but im starting to minimize the amount of heat i use on my hair a week down to once or twice a week.

I trim my ends every other month.
smile.gif
Its not a great regimine but it works
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ajenee1977 Hi everyone, My hair is shoulder length ( in the pic I wore it up) I don't know if anyone has covered this but I have a little problem w/dandruff yet I need to wash my hair about every 4 days due to it gets really oily ( I don't grease my scalp either). Any suggestions
satisfied.gif
Dr. Miracles Hair Gro oil , excellent for dandruff and it leaves a tingling feeling.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. I am really thinking about looking into the Mizani products

Originally Posted by ajenee1977 Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. I am really thinking about looking into the Mizani products Has anyone ever told you that you look a bit like Toccara?
I'm thinking about trying out the Elasta QP line and maybe using it exclusively, the packaging is mostly drawing me in lol; I won't be giving up my ORS or Fantasia stuff though so I guess it's almost exclusively.

My hair is stupid thick. And coarse and sensitive all on top of that "like my beautician says" I have the nerve to have it long and be tenderheaded lol. I usually wear braids in the summer as I live in California and it is HOT and I enjoy swimming and jet skiing and all that jazz.

When my hair is down, I relax using affirm product, touching up every 4 weeks when I wear it because I look like a cross between ooonfoo foo and tyra banks if I dont because my hair grows so fast. I sometimes opt for a wet set too, to give me that extra week from processing if my hair needs it. Relaxing that often makes coloring a non option, so I will sometimes get a colored weave in the summer time too. My fav oil sheen is the olive oil one. It actually penetrates the hair shaft and doesnt just sit on top of the hair and make it greasy. I deep condition every two weeks and trim every 6.

I still get quite a bit of breakage around the nape of my neck and edges. It grows out while it is in the braids but as soon as I go back to relaxing, its gone again.

I haven't had my hair relaxed in over a year now. I have been toying with the idea of getting sisterlocks because they are so pretty. My fear is as soon as I get them, i am going to want another kind of style.

Is any one here locked up? Did you transition from a process to your locks? I am just looking for feedback on how you felt through the transition process. Women of color have a life long love affair with hair chemicals, I am just wondering how bad the break up was lol. Should I start ordering Lenny Williams box sets now, or will I be alright lol.

I am completely natural and I love talking about hair so anyone who wants to chat just let me know

Well I cut all my hair off in July 2004 down to about an inch or two. Now my hair is past my shoulders and I wash it every week or so and I either twist it up or wear it in a puff. The only products I use are Suave conditioners, shea butter, coconut oil, and Elasta Qp Glaze when I want to slick it back. I hate combing my hair because it's too thick so I look for the easiest regimen around. LOL. I'm currently debating my next step. It'll be two years soon and I'm getting bored with my hair.

Originally Posted by ajenee1977 Hi everyone, My hair is shoulder length ( in the pic I wore it up) I don't know if anyone has covered this but I have a little problem w/dandruff yet I need to wash my hair about every 4 days due to it gets really oily ( I don't grease my scalp either). Any suggestions
satisfied.gif
KeraCare has a a shampoo & conditioner that gets lots of raves on another forum I haven't tried it becase if I get the itches its usually from product buildup/ or I didn't rinse stuff out well enough. But I typically shampoo no more than twice a week, and cw as I feel like it, hope this helps.Dry & Itchy Scalp Moisturizing Shampoo
dry_itch_moist_sham.gif

A supurb treatment specifically formulated to alleviate dry and itchy scalp conditions.

Deeply cleanses hair and scalp, eliminating flakiness.

Contains moisturizers that help protect the hair and scalp against dryness, which is a major cause of itchiness.

Detangles.

Formulated for both natural and chemically treated hair.

Dry & Itchy Scalp Moisturizing Conditioner
dryitchy_conditioner.gif

Originally Posted by Brownshugaz Well I cut all my hair off in July 2004 down to about an inch or two. Now my hair is past my shoulders and I wash it every week or so and I either twist it up or wear it in a puff. The only products I use are Suave conditioners, shea butter, coconut oil, and Elasta Qp Glaze when I want to slick it back. I hate combing my hair because it's too thick so I look for the easiest regimen around. LOL. I'm currently debating my next step. It'll be two years soon and I'm getting bored with my hair. Wow that's some good progress, you've got a nice simple regime I'm just a pj in denial lol. I've got thick hair too so I know all about having to work section by section but funnily since I've joined hairboards I've been feeling like my hair is THIN!

Latest posts

Back