Glossybox February 2015 *Spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
February was my first box with Glossybox.  Have prior months had such disparity in box value?

February was my first box with Glossybox.  Have prior months had such disparity in box value?
No, not at all, which is why people are so surprised and upset.  Usually, people either got the same five items (with perhaps varying colors or scents) or the same four items plus a fifth item that varied (the fifth item usually being one of two things of roughly equal value -- like in January, there were two different makeup brushes sent out, one by Tarte, one by Teeez).  I hope this isn't how they'll be handling boxes in the future.  I got lucky in that I got the highest possible box value this month (Scalisi exfoliator, Royal Apothic lip stuff, Julep Heartleigh, Unwash, and Rituals body wash, worth about $75), but I'm mad for the people who had the Teadora bar soap or the products from the November box thrown in because I don't think it's fair.  They're going to lose a lot of subscribers if they keep this up.  I've referred a bunch of people to Glossybox and I would have been embarrassed and apologetic if they got one of the cheap boxes.  

Yes, that is my point exactly (and which I am still requesting they clarify). Also, don't say the disparity between boxes is because of profile when it clearly is not. And don't 'advertise' one box via all the bloggers and then send something of lesser value. I noticed quite a few people (on various sites) stating they bought this box mainly because of the mascara. (Thankfully, that was not my reason.) All the bloggers got mascara so there was no reason to think it was not 'standard'. I would have been even more peeved if that was the case.
I was just so excited to get the items that I had seen on insta and in the blogs and then when I got a bar of soap that is cheap and that I won't even use I was so disappointed which is a feeling that glossybox has never left me with until now. I hope this doesn't confine with them as they have consistently been one of my favorite subs. I complained via email and just received a very generic "we're sorry" response and then they went on to explain how they sent out different boxes.

I was just so excited to get the items that I had seen on insta and in the blogs and then when I got a bar of soap that is cheap and that I won't even use I was so disappointed which is a feeling that glossybox has never left me with until now. I hope this doesn't confine with them as they have consistently been one of my favorite subs. I complained via email and just received a very generic "we're sorry" response and then they went on to explain how they sent out different boxes.
May I urge you to respond back and push a little regarding the disparity in value as well as the disappointment when all the bloggers get the great box with great value and then we receive $20 less.  So far I have had three emails from them and they continue to fail to address that point.

May I urge you to respond back and push a little regarding the disparity in value as well as the disappointment when all the bloggers get the great box with great value and then we receive $20 less.  So far I have had three emails from them and they continue to fail to address that point.
I also sent an email and spelled out that my complaint was that the box was advertised as 60.00 value and that was not what I received. They replied very quickly with the same generic response that people receive different versions and that the Teadora soap is a great product. Not my point. They never addressed why they promised 60.00 and didn't deliver it.

I also sent an email and spelled out that my complaint was that the box was advertised as 60.00 value and that was not what I received. They replied very quickly with the same generic response that people receive different versions and that the Teadora soap is a great product. Not my point. They never addressed why they promised 60.00 and didn't deliver it.
Perhaps post your question on Facebook and Twitter?  I think the more they are pressed about the issue of value, the more chance they will be forced to address it and be fair in the future.  I do not need a perfect set of products but I do need fairness and the promised value.  By the way, did your response come from Don?

When I asked again why the website said that the value was over 60.00 this is the reply I got.

The website is advertising one version of February boxes. We have a long list of February products available and a variation of five are included in each box, which can cause prices to be different from box to box. We hope this clarifies!

I give up talking to customer service, it only makes me more upset and its not that big of a deal. I will see if this trend continues and decide if I want to keep my subscription.

When I asked again why the website said that the value was over 60.00 this is the reply I got.

The website is advertising one version of February boxes. We have a long list of February products available and a variation of five are included in each box, which can cause prices to be different from box to box. We hope this clarifies!

I give up talking to customer service, it only makes me more upset and its not that big of a deal. I will see if this trend continues and decide if I want to keep my subscription.
That reply sounds like the one I got from the guy.  It does not answer the question you asked nor address the fact that that is false advertising.  Don't give up!  I've decide to post on Facebook in the hopes that a more public forum will force an actual answer.

I wonder if they're changing the way they do boxes and January was the first hint of that.

I don't mind variations as long as it's specifically stated in the description.  I don't mind value differences either if I receive things I will use.  Value is relative, though, and specific to each individual.  For instance, I wouldn't have minded if I had received the Teadora soap instead of the mascara even though there is a value difference because I like Teadora and love soap but I have piles of mascara.

However,  if Glossybox is planning to issue boxes with a disparity in pricing then they need to say that in their advertising.  Hopefully, the pushback this month teaches them that clarity is a good thing.  Don't say "worth $60!" if only one box variation is.  Just say "worth up to $60!" or something.

I honestly hope they don't continue to do variations because box envy is a real thing. Haha!  And I don't want to suffer from it!  I'm already getting OuiPlease and am having box envy before I've even received my box just because I know there are going to be variations. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wonder if they're changing the way they do boxes and January was the first hint of that.

I don't mind variations as long as it's specifically stated in the description.  I don't mind value differences either if I receive things I will use.  Value is relative, though, and specific to each individual.  For instance, I wouldn't have minded if I had received the Teadora soap instead of the mascara even though there is a value difference because I like Teadora and love soap but I have piles of mascara.

However,  if Glossybox is planning to issue boxes with a disparity in pricing then they need to say that in their advertising.  Hopefully, the pushback this month teaches them that clarity is a good thing.  Don't say "worth $60!" if only one box variation is.  Just say "worth up to $60!" or something.

I honestly hope they don't continue to do variations because box envy is a real thing. Haha!  And I don't want to suffer from it!  I'm already getting OuiPlease and am having box envy before I've even received my box just because I know there are going to be variations. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Do you think there's been enough pushback to make them reconsider?  I'm not sure I've seen enough of it.  And their 'not really a response' responses via email is beyond frustrating.  How can you ask a specific question in three emails and receive three responses, none of which address the question?  What kind of customer service is that?

Do you think there's been enough pushback to make them reconsider?  I'm not sure I've seen enough of it.  And their 'not really a response' responses via email is beyond frustrating.  How can you ask a specific question in three emails and receive three responses, none of which address the question?  What kind of customer service is that?
As for changing the way they do boxes:  why change a good, well-received, well-reviewed working model?  Seems foolhardy to me.

As for changing the way they do boxes:  why change a good, well-received, well-reviewed working model?  Seems foolhardy to me.
Yeah but then they get to reuse their leftovers that other subs sell in warehouse sales.  They also get to advertise better stuff to lure people in, but then give them cheap crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's been a total glossyfail for me. I got my February box yesterday. Here is what was in it:

-Rituals shower gel

-Unwash bio-cleansing conditioner

-Juice Beauty age defy moisturizer

-Kryolan blush in Glossy rosewood

-Bodyography nail polish in #glossybox (which is a blue-toned pearlescent fuchsia)

So, ok to the shower gel and conditioner. The blush...meh. The nail polish is double meh. It's a color I wouldn't wear since seventh grade, and when I tried it on one nail, the formula was streaky and runny. 

But that Juice beauty moisturizer....I've never cared for the brand's products. They sting on my skin (I'm not normally super-sensitive to products) and I don't like the scent at all. But worst, I received THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT in November's box. WTH?? 

Not only that, but it came in a regular ol' pink box, not the special-patterned LOVE box.

The value is below $60. That bothers me. The products (except for Unwash and shower gel) are nowhere NEAR the products we saw going out at the start of this month. I know the blush and moisturizer are leftovers from recent boxes. AND they already sent me that godforsaken moisturizer 3 months ago. (They sent it to me twice actually, because I initially screwed up and had two subs in November. My I understand that was my issue, not theirs. But my current sub was one of the active ones in Nov., so they should have it on record that I already received that moisturizer.)

I get that this is NOT an issue of apocalyptic proportion, but I'm disappointed. I get what they're saying about the box variations within a given month - that Glossybox is a "discovery" platform, but sending a repeat product within three months sure seems to undermine that "discovery" argument.   :soap:

::goes grumbling back to cave::

glossy.jpg

While grumbling in my cave I decided to email their customer service. I didn't want to belabor the issue of value disparity (even though I think it is shady as hell), because I didn't want to get one of the "cookie cutter" responses about variations and beauty profiles that have been posted on this thread and social media. So I took a different tact:  

~

Hello,

I am hoping you can assist me with my February 2015 Glossybox. One of the items I received was Juice Beauty Age Defy Moisturizer – a product I received recently in my November 2014 Glossybox. I understand that there are variations of boxes each month – that the Glossybox subscription service is about “discovering” new products. However, repeats of the same sample within a three-month period seems contrary to the “discovery” aspect of the service.  I have been a Glossybox subscriber for five months now, for the purpose of trying new things. I am disappointed to receive a repeat product, and would like to know both a) if a replacement product is available; and b ) what can be done to avoid repeats in future boxes.

I also have a question regarding the box itself - the box I received was a regular pink box, not the special patterned box you advertised on your website for February.  I see on your site now that you are sold out of the February box, and new subscribers may purchase a “classic” box. I am wondering if I received a classic box instead of the February box, as the regular pink box itself and its considerably varying contents (including the repeat product mentioned above) would suggest.  I am curious about this disparity, since my subscription is monthly auto-renew – I have not cancelled or re-subscribed since October 2014, so I certainly couldn't have “missed out” on the February box.

Thank you in advance for addressing my questions. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely, xx 

~

we'll see what kind of response I get...

Last edited by a moderator:
While grumbling in my cave I decided to email their customer service. I didn't want to belabor the issue of value disparity (even though I think it is shady as hell), because I didn't want to get one of the "cookie cutter" responses about variations and beauty profiles that have been posted on this thread and social media. So I took a different tact:  

~

Hello,

I am hoping you can assist me with my February 2015 Glossybox. One of the items I received was Juice Beauty Age Defy Moisturizer – a product I received recently in my November 2014 Glossybox. I understand that there are variations of boxes each month – that the Glossybox subscription service is about “discovering” new products. However, repeats of the same sample within a three-month period seems contrary to the “discovery” aspect of the service.  I have been a Glossybox subscriber for five months now, for the purpose of trying new things. I am disappointed to receive a repeat product, and would like to know both a) if a replacement product is available; and b ) what can be done to avoid repeats in future boxes.

I also have a question regarding the box itself - the box I received was a regular pink box, not the special patterned box you advertised on your website for February.  I see on your site now that you are sold out of the February box, and new subscribers may purchase a “classic” box. I am wondering if I received a classic box instead of the February box, as the regular pink box itself and its considerably varying contents (including the repeat product mentioned above) would suggest.  I am curious about this disparity, since my subscription is monthly auto-renew – I have not cancelled or re-subscribed since October 2014, so I certainly couldn't have “missed out” on the February box.

Thank you in advance for addressing my questions. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely, xx 

~

we'll see what kind of response I get...
That is a bum deal: I enrolled at the very end of January and got both the Love box and the 'premium' items. While I was thrilled, I certainly wouldn't be in your shoes, and that makes me happier that I choose to do a year of Boxycharm and only 3 mos of Glossybox.

Here is the reply I received.:

"We apologize that you received a repeat product! We will send out a different February product to you as a replacement as soon as we can! You should not receive any repeat products in future. We hope this helps."

Well, ok....maybe. But "as soon as we can" is pretty non-committal. And I "should not" have received the crappy repeats this month, either.

Sigh. I love how he TOTALLY IGNORED my second paragraph however- about getting a plain pink box and not the designated February box.

There was a prissy little automated message at the top of the CS response informing me that my "request has been deemed resolved."

Guess I got told.

Here is the reply I received.:

"We apologize that you received a repeat product! We will send out a different February product to you as a replacement as soon as we can! You should not receive any repeat products in future. We hope this helps."

Well, ok....maybe. But "as soon as we can" is pretty non-committal. And I "should not" have received the crappy repeats this month, either.

Sigh. I love how he TOTALLY IGNORED my second paragraph however- about getting a plain pink box and not the designated February box.

There was a prissy little automated message at the top of the CS response informing me that my "request has been deemed resolved."

Guess I got told.
What I do is reply right back and say that I do not consider my problem deemed resolved (if I don't).  You can do that and press the issue of your box design.  Also worth considering is a question of why you, as a continued subscriber, got the classic box when new subscribers (and all the bloggers)  got the best box.  Please keep us posted and good luck!

For those that did not recieve the little lip pot.... It's cute and all, but the ingredients leave a Baaaad taste on your lips, bitter, blah.....worst affect from a lip product I've ever had.

Back