Glossybox January 2014 (SPOILERS!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by PennelopeLane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm trying not to jump to conclusions over here, but I thought I might just throw this out there.

I noticed that the Beauty Blender Pure I received in my January Glossybox is slightly different than the original Beauty Blender that I have had for the last month (purchased from Sephora, my 3rd BB). It is slightly bigger, the tip is not as pointy, the contour is not as smooth, and the texture is different. It isn't as "squishy" as the original pink BBs I have used for the last year.

Thoughts??
Same here.  I purchased my pink BB from Sephora about 6 months ago and it is different than the white one I received in my box.  I thought maybe they changed the product since it had been so long since I purchased one. 

Quote: Originally Posted by PennelopeLane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm trying not to jump to conclusions over here, but I thought I might just throw this out there.

I noticed that the Beauty Blender Pure I received in my January Glossybox is slightly different than the original Beauty Blender that I have had for the last month (purchased from Sephora, my 3rd BB). It is slightly bigger, the tip is not as pointy, the contour is not as smooth, and the texture is different. It isn't as "squishy" as the original pink BBs I have used for the last year.

Thoughts??
I sometimes wonder if some of the items in the more "luxurious" beauty boxes, like GB, PSMH, etc. are "seconds" sent by the beauty product companies.  I noticed while using my Stila palette (I received from a different sub) that there was at least one typo in the instructions/look book.  I have also noticed on occasion that something just isn't right about a product I am using. Whether it's the pigment in a gloss that doesn't mix all the way through or the instructions have a very small typo in them.  

I wonder if the BBs are seconds or if since they are "pure" they are made with a different ingredients and that is why it feels different.  That doesn't explain the shape and size though.

What I noticed about the Beauty Blender is it did not shrink back to its original size for me. It is squished when it finally fits in the container even after a few days not using it. Mine seems super soft but I have never tried a different color. This reminds me of when they started making white iPhones and they had problems producing them.

Quote: Originally Posted by wadedl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I noticed about the Beauty Blender is it did not shrink back to its original size for me. It is squished when it finally fits in the container even after a few days not using it. Mine seems super soft but I have never tried a different color.
This reminds me of when they started making white iPhones and they had problems producing them.
That's strange. Mine shrinks back, granted it might take alllllll dang day, but it's sitting in its case right now, original size and all. I found it dries faster upside down. 

Quote: Originally Posted by wadedl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I noticed about the Beauty Blender is it did not shrink back to its original size for me. It is squished when it finally fits in the container even after a few days not using it. Mine seems super soft but I have never tried a different color.
This reminds me of when they started making white iPhones and they had problems producing them.

Quote: Originally Posted by rachelshine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  That's strange. Mine shrinks back, granted it might take alllllll dang day, but it's sitting in its case right now, original size and all. I found it dries faster upside down. 
Mine also shrinks back down to original size.  I place it on top of the little container and then when it's dry enough it just goes down into the container on its own. 

It could just be the San Diego weather and the fact we rarely turn the heater on. Last night a little over a centimeter was still sticking out of the BB container and I had not used it since Friday night. I noticed it shrunk a little more over night and put the lid on but it still squishes it a little.

My first BB was a white one (I was afraid to get the pink initially, as I'd heard it ran), so I got used to that texture. I do think they have slightly different textures.  The white is a bit firmer than the pink.  There's something on the packaging of the white that makes me think that it may have been meant more for skincare application than for makeup application, but I'm at work and not looking at it.  Anyway, the one from GB doesn't seem any different to me than the other white BB I used in the past.

I don't store my BBs in the original container.  My first experience with a BB was with the "travel pack" that came with a mesh holder, and I typically just put the BB on top of it after I've rinsed it and only put it in the bag when I'm travelling somewhere.

Maybe you're right, the different color = different texture.

Another thing I noticed was that the Pure from GB did not come with the lithe instructions that all of the other BBs I have purchased from Sephora contain. 

I haven't used the BB Pure yet (waiting until my current BB runs out of juice), but I will say that I am skeptical of the texture. What sets the BB apart from dupes from Sephora, Target, Walmart, Ulta, etc. is the soft, memory foam-ish, squishy texture. The texture of my BB pure is almost like that of the cheaper dupes!

If this is really the case and taking away the dyes changes the texture, I'll just take the dyes! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

well, I have discovered that the BB doesn't work for me & my tinted moisturizer.  However, it is WONDERFUL for my cream blushes.  I totally love it for that.

I think that  it works best with a heavy cream or liquid.  It doesn't work on a more lighter cream, which my Jouer is.  

My BB cleans up nicely when I use the solid.  It is white as the driven snow (before the dogs, snow plows and cars get to it!)

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  well, I have discovered that the BB doesn't work for me & my tinted moisturizer.  However, it is WONDERFUL for my cream blushes.  I totally love it for that.

I think that  it works best with a heavy cream or liquid.  It doesn't work on a more lighter cream, which my Jouer is.  

My BB cleans up nicely when I use the solid.  It is white as the driven snow (before the dogs, snow plows and cars get to it!)

Thanks for that idea on the cream blush. I have a beauty blender from a sub last year and I didn't like it with my foundation either but hadn't thought to try with cream blushes which I find a little hard to blend sometimes. 

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find that the BB doesn't work well with CC and BB creams. 

Quote: Originally Posted by SubJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I find that the BB doesn't work well with CC and BB creams. 
I agree with you -- I use it for heavier foundations and such, but I've tried and failed to use it with my CC cream.

Since I was snowed in, I used the T&G salt water spray before I blew dry and flat ironed my bob.....surprisingly, it gave my straight style body and control, plus, it smells great!

I just want to say that I got the variation I wanted (perfume and solid cleanser) and this month is one of my favorite, topped only by the Ellis Faas/Ol Henrikson box back in '12. The solid is actually half the size of the FS but it doesn't come with the container which has a little drain. Everything will definitely last for quite a while. And I am 30 pts away from a free box. Damnit! But I am buried in makeup/skincare (not even samples because GB and lmdb spoil the crap out of me). back to stalking gb threads until something exciting happens.

Since I was snowed in, I used the T&G salt water spray before I blew dry and flat ironed my bob.....surprisingly, it gave my straight style body and control, plus, it smells great!
Salt water spray works surprisingly well with a bob! I think people think whatever but times I have done it on my straight we hair wet it makes it straighter and fuller and I know it would be great for blow drying since protectors and shines just make my hair flatter.

Salt water spray works surprisingly well with a bob! I think people think whatever but times I have done it on my straight we hair wet it makes it straighter and fuller and I know it would be great for blow drying since protectors and shines just make my hair flatter.
This is exactly why I use salt spray every single day. Lol. It provides me a lot more control too. Which is great since my hair has a mind of its own.

What a revelation! Plus it was less oily the morning after....now I have to try all the multiple brands I received from all my subs.

I'm a little baffled by sea salt spray...is Iit supposed to do anything for wavy hair? I have wavy hair and so far all the spray has done Is make my hair smell really nice.
If you spray at the roots, it's supposed to help give you volume. Otherwise it can be used for the "scrunch" method. I use it when I straighten my hair for more volume and it works well. It gives me a beachy/piecy look without having to put pomade or other greasy gunk in my hair.

Quote: Originally Posted by greenflipflops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a little baffled by sea salt spray...is Iit supposed to do anything for wavy hair? I have wavy hair and so far all the spray has done Is make my hair smell really nice.
Some people find that it helps them keep that textured messy beachy look to their waves..all I have found was that it makes my hair feel icky and look dirty, so I guess my hair just doesn't like it!

Back