Hannah's Accutane Log

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 61- almost end of month 2. i have like 6 or so pills left. BOOOO for blood tests. Im nervous. Is it bad??

and everything is still the same... haha. Not sure why i update when its all the same. well acutally i guess my face has been a little worse than normal.. there is this one HUUGGGEE volcanoe on the side of my face. geez. but its slowly going away.

people are starting to notice clearer skin... =] yay.

song: umbrella by rhianna.

wow, I am happy you are having success (for the most part). Just remember, you have a lot of time left, it WILL get better!

Best of luck to ya! I was on Accutane about 6-7 years ago and I have some very light permanent scarring (pitting). It is very light but still there and I was only on it for 6 weeks. After that, my skin became too too dry and my triglycerides tripled, additionally, I was suffering from mood swings and it was just too many side effects. My face was so dry that I have to moisturize with Vaseline!!!!!!!!!!! I swear!!! I went through the same thing as far as breaking out and being on every possible medication, both topical application and prescription pills. However, I had really bad cystic acne at one point.

I've endured the countless trips to the dermatologist. I've on every medication mentioned so far and some that haven't been mentioned. Through the process of elimination, I was able to determine that the source of my breakouts was fragrance and other irritants like oils, etc. I've tried Proactiv and everything else and then I just stopped using everything. I would just rinse my face with water and thats it. Once I realized I was having an allergic reaction all these years, I starting getting glycolic peels and using skin care products directly from my aesthetician that had no fragrances and oils and I stopped having the breakouts. I can only use mineral make up on my face. I just really have to be very, very careful of the stuff that I put on my face. Even when it says non-comedogenic.

DAY 63 (End of Month 2)

Thanks so much for all the support!! I really appreciate it.

Side Effects:

Dry lips, face (not too bad) arms and hands (hands are the worst)

Fatigue

noticing muscles get sore wayyy easily.

Thats about it! Thank goodness!!

Still using:

Morning=Dove sensitive skin cleansing bar

dove deep moisture SPF 15 Moisturizer

1 40mg. pill of Claravis

not too much makeup. A little concealer. wayy less than i had been using before. YAY! =]

At night:

1 40 mg. Pill of Claravis

1 Vitamin E pill

vaseline as a moisturizer. basically my best friend =]

sometimes a little vitamin E on my face

I have found that using a little bit of Neosporin on small little spots helps them go away very quickly. Not sure if this is good for my skin, but its works.. hah.

All the time: Aquaphor!!! <3

On my body I use Eucerin calming cream. It doesn't smell very good and it makes my perfume smell funny but it works well. Its very good for anti-itching.

I still sometimes use eyedrops. My eyes get a little bit dry sometimes... Not a big deal.

Going to the doctor for blood drawn and a checkup tommorow.

Thanks so much for reading!

Song: Ever Ever After by Carrie Underwood (such cute video =])

For some reason pictures wont workk.....GRRR... Struggles. So i will try again tommorow.

Left with Makeup

face11004.jpg

Right With Makeup

Sorrrryyyy pictures struggle on mannyyy levels.

the order of the above pictures is:

Left with makeup

Left without makeup

Right with Makeup

Right without makeup

DAY 64!! I finished the last pill of Month 2 this morning. Hopefully I can go tonight and get the next set of 50 pills (5 blister packs) Went and got blood drawn today... it wasn't bad at all!! I was way nervous. Haha. The lady that did it was really nice and she said I had a good vein so... whatever that means. haha.

Still on 2- 40 Mg. Claravis on the weekdays and 1-40mg on the weekends. 3 more months. I can handle it. I had the first nosebleed of my life this morning. Not sure if you can even call it a nose bleed though... it wasn't bad at all. Thank goodness it was at home.

I did a hot oil treatment for my hair the other night, and it seemed to help. My hair isn't too dry though. Nothing is too bad! Yay. Everything is going good. Dry hands are the worst thing.

Questions?

Thanks so much for reading.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Woww! Its looking amazing!

Ive been through two courses of accutane, and i have to say its really great. I tried everything, but it was the only thing that worked for me. It sucks that your having so many side effects, I only had dry lips, and my face was very tight. I hope it works out for you hun, your lookin fab!

Loreal ur skin is luking good! I broke out horribly aftre using the retinoids 2 months back.My face turned oily and breaking everyday.Finally after 2 months of only antibitics, now together with antibiotics, my derm put me under Roaccutane 10mg daily.Its been 10 dayz im on it but Im still oily all over (i used to have very dry skin b4 tiz)I didnt know y the derm didnt take my height or weight.What's the corect dose i shud b?Im 164 cm and 53 kg

Day 73 ish. Today my face doesn't look very good. =[[ I'm trying to be patient... Still doing everything the same...

bronze chiqz- Good luck! Its a little rough, but its going to be so worth it! Yay!!!! =]

Hope everyone is having a good week! School is almost out... Thank goodness. I'm dying. Geometry is a joke. no kidding.

Thanks so much for reading and for the comments!!!

Song:Blessed Be Your Name by Matt Redman

Day 78- My face is looking okay today. I didn't wear any makeup today!! Yayyy... Very freeing. Haha.

The dry nasty skin on my hands is gone, which is huge. I'm very upset at myself b/c i missed BOTH of yesterdays pills... how does that even happen?! I've never missed before. Sweet. Oh well i can just take 2 on the weekends instead and it all evens out.

Random: I found the most amazing makeup. It covers my spots and scars really well. Its Max Factor foundation stick. It looks like a big stick of lipstick in a black tube. Its awesome. I use that and cover with a tiny bit of loose powder. I've been wanting to try mineral makeup... any thoughts on this...?

Quick question: I'm going to Mexico next month (on a mission trip..Yayyyy!! Im soooo excited! Please be praying for the hearts of the people there and the hearts of our team, and for everyones safety. We are going to Guachochi and going to build houses, roads, and do a VBS and just build relationships and evangilize.) anways, haha, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about taking prescriptions (accutane obviously...=] ) over the border? Is it a big deal?

Song: How to Save a Life By: the Fray

Day 81- Wow the days have gone so fast! Only 2 1/2 months left. I can totally handle that! Haha.

Nothing too bad on the side effects. Dry hands and arms are almost gone. No more nose bleeds, my back still aches a little sometimes, not a big deal. My face is a little dry when I wake up, and after i wash it its really tight and dry. My lips are constantly chapped without Aquaphor.

My face looks pretty good today! Yay. makes me sooo happy to wake up and not have to put a bunch of makeup on. There's still a ways to go, but I'm happy so far with the results. If your acne is making you unhappy, and you are thinking about accutane, do it. It is expensive, the side effects are a little bit rough sometimes, but in the end its sooo worth it. I used to not want to stand close to people or have people look at me up close and now i have so much more confidence that my face doesn't look like a freak... =]]

Current Routine:

Morning:

Wash Face with Dove Moisture Bar (Or if my face is really dry, I just rinse it a little bit)

dove deep moisture moisturizer

1 40mg Claravis (accutane) (on weekdays)

Makeup: (on my face)

Max Factor Pan Stick

Mary Kay Powder (or sometimes this random brand from Wal-Mart of loose powder)

Night:

Dove Moisture Bar

Vaseline (as a moisturizer)

Neosporin <3

1 40mg. of Claravis

Sometimes a little vitamin E on my face

1 Vitamin E capsule with a cup of water

Aquaphor on my lips.

All the time: AQUAPHOR... my hero. =]

Song of the Day: Would you go with me by josh turner. (he is sooo cute. hehe)

DAY 82- YAYYYY~!!! Today was a good face day. Just felt like sharing. =]

Day 88-

Everythings doing okay.... pretty good today....

everything is the same....

Day 92- only 72 days left!! Yay!

The skin on my body, especially my shins, is really dry. Something that has worked well for me is as soon as I get out of the shower, before I dry off at all, using baby oil (I use the gel, its way less messy) all over and then gentle pat dry. Then use lotion. It seems to work pretty well.

Not too many side effects... I get sore and tired wayy easily, which is a big deal for me, being an athlete and volleyball season coming up in like a month... chapped lips, dry skin, flakey scalp, and thats about it!

I will have random flare-ups, but nothing like it was before...

Creepy eye... haha. but Yay!! =]

oh this is a great thread. I actually went to the dermatologist today and we decided that I should go on Accutane. After reading this blog, I'm excited and scared at the same time. I'm reading all about these side effects and it's kinda scary.

I can't believe at my age (36) I could have all of this acne. They are mean and they don't like to leave my face. ugh. my face is a mess. and it never used too be. never.ever.never.

after all the side effects, do most of you girls still recommend it?

Day 97- Ughh.... bad face day today... its a struggle. its so on and off...

and Vickih- I was nervous too (my mom was especially), but definitly don't be. Its so so so worth it. The side effects are not bad at all (or they aren't for me, some people its worse for) but the only hugeee thing is, dont get pregnant!! But once you are off the medicine, there are no long term side effects, that I know of. If im wrong, please correect me. But i do know for sure that once it is out of your system, there is no chance of birth defects for future babies.

Hope my log helps you!!

Thanks for reading!!

Song: I would walk 1000 miles my vanessa carlton

Congrats on all your progress, your skin is looking great! I too went the accutane route about 8 years ago and Im so glad that I did. I used to have really bad acne and tried EVERYTHING and nothing helped. After I did the accutane though my skin was completely different!

Have you experienced any/much weight gain? I did the treatment for 9 months and I gained 60 lbs :-( Which at the time was very discouraging but after the treatment ended I droped the weight in about 2 months....

I know the whole thing is kinda an uphill battle but your skin is looking great and the payoff in the end will be worth it! Good luck!

Thanks shelley!! =] Nope i haven't gained much or any weight, but im only 2 3/4 months in... soo... *crosses fingers...* has your skin stayed clear?? what kind of stuff have you used since getting off accutane??

DAY 103- Yesterday was really good, today is pretty good, and tommorow is the last day of school, so hopefully it will be clear for next year! those of you that have taken it, how clear has your skin stayed???

everything is all the same side effects wise and routine wise.

im annoyed though, the dermatologist mis-scheduled our appointment so i have had to only take one pill a day for the last week, and we get more friday... aweeeesome.

Song: will wait for you by elliot yamin. LOVE SUCH MUCH!!!

Loreal - your skin is looking beautiful

Vickih - the first time I went on Accutane, was when I was 34. Almost all the acne went away but I still had oily skin. When I was 36 or 37, I went on Accutane again. I still have oily skin, but not as bad - its tolerable in the summer and hardly noticeable in the winter.

I asked my Dermatologist if I was his oldest patient. He said he has one male patient in his 60s and he has treated many women in their 50s.

I definately recommend trying a round of Accutane - it will do wonders.

Im on accutane now for more than a month, and I must say its really doin its job! My skin started imporving when I increased my dosage to 20mg per day, oiliness n breakouts have reduced alot.Of coz my terrible side effects are dry lips and eczema is appearing on a new new spots(Im aczematic patient).No choice ive to apply eczema cream and body lotion religiously but in another way im glad i took accutane finally after all these years
smile.gif

Loreal- yeap im pretty sure ur skin will stay clearrrr forever!
biggrin.gif

Back