Here are my household tips, lets hear yours!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's something my sister taught me.

If you get candle wax on carpet, lay 4 or 5 paper towels on top of the stain, lay a towel over the paper towels, and iron over the spot. The towel concentrates the heat onto the wax, the wax melts into the paper towels. Remove the paper towels one by one, you can add more if/when you run out. It works!

+++++ Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is the best for cleaning especially in my bath tub. Removes soap scum and leaves it shining.

+++++ For those dark mildew stains you get in the shower that are inbetween tiles or inbedded in the caulking...I mix baking soda with bleach to make a paste. Then I "spackle" it on with an old butter knife and leave it on for 30 min. to an hour. Rinse off and its white. This works like a charm.

+++++ Rubbing alcohol polishes faucets great.

+++++ Clean coffee pot (inside) with half vinegar and half H2O. Let a full pot run through once then fill coffe pot with just H2O and run through again then fill with H2O and run through one more time.

I agree!!

There are quite a few here I'm going to try out too, you gals rock! I can clearly see too that I should be adding a mr. clean magic eraser to the shopping list now :icon_bigg

do you propose we toss our whole summer wadrobe because it won't be worn for over 3 months? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The rule of thumb for tossing clothes is 1 year, not 3 months. i'd have to buy a whole new wadrobe for every season if i followed the 3 months rule! :icon_eek:

I think it really depends on where we live. I live in Texas, and we have longer summers and very short winters. Spring and Fall are mild too. So I can kinda wear the same clothes for spring, summer and fall. And need thicker clothes for winter.

LOL! I put seasonal clothes in storage ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I could never keep clothes I don't wear for a whole year, I just don't have the room!

Besides, I'd rather it go to someone in need than stay in my closet for months longer than necessary just so I can go by the 'rule of thumb'.

If I donate something to charity and find out a month or so later that I could have actually used that item (it never happens, but just *if*) it's not like I can't go out an get something just as nice!

In my home, if something is just collecting dust, I give it to someone who needs it more than I do. I'm not saying everyboy should do this, but it's what works for me.

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Great Tips every1 ....

... agree w/the Mr. Eraser ... works wonders

.. just tried out the coffee pot trick the other day ... sparking clean now .. thx

yaaay, I'm glad the coffee pot trick worked out for you!

here's another one courtesy of the bf (I thought he was off his rocker when he told me about it but I tried it myself and it worked). When you get oily/grease/tomato/curry etc., food stuffs staining your tupperware/plastic containers, put dishsoap in the container with a few ice cubes, then wash it. I have NO idea how it is this works without any chemicals or anything, but it does!

Re: the magic eraser, I was so pessimistic about the eraser but since a lot of you were raving about it I got two. WHOA! They're amazing, I got scuffs off cupboards that I never thought would disappear. I was running around the house seeing what I could erase next just for the heck of it

The best way to clean a microwave (that has food stuck on the inside) is put a bowl of water with a little lemon juice, and cook on high for 2 - 3 minutes, after removing the bowl, use a moist rag or paper towel and it comes off very easy.

When I have pots or pans that have food stuck or burnt on, I add water past the highest point of where the remains are and boil the water on the stove, once it boils I reduce the heat and use a spatula to scrape it off, it comes off easily.

When cleaning blood or chocolate stains out of clothes, I wet the stain with cold water and put laundry detergent right on the stain, rub it in and let the garment sit for 1 hour before washing it.

I love reading everyones ideas! This is a great thread.

dryer sheets are also good to use as a mosquito repellent. Don't ask how or why but I heard on TV and my friend also SWEARS by them. says they work better than Off or Cutter. I can vouch that the Avon stuff doesnt work either. I swear when we were camping once it attracted more mosquitos :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This isn't anything spectacular but keep some cleaning products, papertowels, and sponge scrubbie thing in each bathroom so that it is easy to clean. Your mirror is dirty, just grab the windex and towel and quickly clean.....

Ok, this isn't a cleaning tip but it's a lady bug or asian beetle repellent. Take your used coffee grounds and spread them about your house, outside and in. I place them in styrofoam cups or any container around my house by windows and such and outside around the foundation. After a while you can rewet them....then eventually change the grounds out.

A freind of mine uses coffee grounds as a fertilizer for her roses and it was the ONLY place on her property that had no lady bugs/asian beetles!!!!

My tip: get a housecleaner to come once a month so you can just keep up after what they have done! Works like a charm

OMG! They are the best things ever! They clean EVERYTHING. Soapscum in the tub comes off in seconds. My dogs get dirt and blood on the walls (they fight sometimes) - gone in seconds. Baked on food in pans - off in seconds. Paint your bathroom and get some on the tile - bring out the magic eraser - gone in seconds. Anything you can think of. Whoever invented these things deserves the frickin' nobel prize.

Just one peice of advice - don't use it on skin. LOL my sister accidently wrote on herself with a sharpie and she thought "hey, what gets rid of everything in seconds? Why, magic erasers"! So she used it on her arm and got a bad burn. She ended up calling poison control about how to treat it. The funny thing is, she teaches first aid and cpr. LOL

I really need to look into this....at least once. Thanks for the reminder.

:w00t: These tips are awesome!!! they make life that bit easier :laughing:

Thanx for sharing, you're all great!

I just tried Mr Magic Eraser....wow that little thing really works magic!

How do you all clean silver stuff that has oxidized? I rub some toothpaste and rinse with water...and ta-da! It becomes shiny again!

Becka, the tupperware tip is awesome!

Back