Here are my household tips, lets hear yours!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhhh, these are some great tips!!! I can't wait to try them. It's funny how I hate cleaning, but I get all excited about cleaning tips :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok, here's mine:

~ I use the Magic Eraser to clean my leather couch and gym shoes. It makes them look like new and it even got some (not all) of the ink and marker stains out (courtesy of my toddler :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

~ I use baking soda to clean the top of my stove. It removes stains and spills effortlessly. I also use it to clean my dishes. It makes glasses sparkle, and gets easily removes stuck on foods.

~ Add a cup of baking soda to the wash cycle, it makes the clothes even fresher.

~ My favorite tip---ammonia!!! My pots and pans looked horrible from all the black stuff that got on them from cooking. So i put the pots in a garbage bag, add some ammonia (maybe a 1/2 cup?) tie the bag very tight and let sit overnight. The next day, wash as usual and voila, the pots look like new!! Whatever that black stuff is comes right off. If the stains are really stubborn, you might need to use a brillo pad or something more abbrasive to remove all the stains. This tip also works for cleaning the bar-b-que grill, baking pans, and the grills on top of the stove. By the way, I got this tip from the tv show How Clean is Your House :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

~ Remove the build up from your bottles of fingernail poilsh with polish remover. Then apply a thin coat of vaseline around the top to prevent it from sticking.

~ I use regular dishwashing detergent to clean my glass tables. It leaves them sqeaky clean and streak free...although making sure I got all of the detergent off is a pain.

I love them too! I recently bought one and it worked wonders on my microwave. I also live in an apartment (with about 100 layers of paint on the wall) and when I try to clean stuff of the wall with a wet cloth, the paint comes off. With the magic eraser, the stain came off, not the paint! They fall apart quickly though.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but for a sparkling shine on your stainless steel cookers / hobs / extractor fans, use baby oil on a paper cloth and buff to a nice shine.

there will be a slight film left but this stops a build of dust forming so quickly again.

got this tip from a restaurant owner who cleans his whole stainless steel appliances with baby oil!!

Great tip. Most of my kitchen appliances are stainless steel so this will come in handy.

My number one problem is grease! I cook everyday and my stove gets a lot of grease. I know just to make my life easier to clean it everyday but I don't have enough energy already. I clean the stove in a weekend. The grease is really hard to remove. What product do u suggest other than easy off?

My second problem are the black build up between the tiles.

I hope you can help me. Thank you very much!

i can't believe all the good tips i've learnt here, you gals rock !!

thanks to this thread i was converted from a magic eraser non believer to a regular magic eraser user - in fact i show them to everyone i know who's never seen one before !!

now i'm wondering about the tide to go pen. is it too good to be true - anyone tried it ??

I'm afraid I have no experience with the grease since I don't cook, I do have a friend that uses a mixture of vinegar and water to clean off grease (it's also a natural disinfectant) and it seems to work for her.

With regards to the black build up I use the Clorox bleach pen and it works very well!

I was very skeptical about the Tide to Go pen ... but u have to buy it! It surprised me like Magic Eraser surprised me ... it's like magic in a stick ...

I bought the magic eraser the heavy duty one. I think i'm the only one who doesn't like it. I tried to used it cleaning my cabinets on the kitchen. I think it's really messy with all the stuff falling. I don't know if i'm using it the right way.

I am going to try the ammonia for the backs of my pans. They get so discolored and gross looking. I used to have some with copper on the bottom and if you squirt a little ketchup on them and rub it around it brought the copper back to its bright color in a snap. It is the vinegar in it that does it. I never tried using just vinegar.

Here are some tips:

1) To save space, put your beds on risers so that you'll have the extra room underneath for storage

2) We put clear, plastic shoebags on the the backs of closet doors to store just about anything: on our linen closet, we have one for meds, first aid supplies, and toiletries, and other odds and ends. The clear shoebags are great because they are only about $10.00 and you can see through them (saves time when searching for stuff); in our computer room, we use them for pens and pencils, small gadgets, index cards, clips, and other "who knows what to do with it" stuff

3) I agree with the magic eraser lovers. Use them in your cars, too, on the dashboards, etc.

4) I just tried easy off spray cleaner for glass cooktops. I love it for cleaning my stovetop. It's so much easier than the creamy stuff.

5) I also love Swiffer wet jet--it's not really good enough for regular mopping, but it's great for quick cleanups to help prolong how long it takes before you have to mop all over

6) For deoderant marks on clothes, just rub an inconspicuous piece of that same fabric over the mark, and it should just rub right off onto the other piece (the inside of a hem is a good piece that no one will see)

7) To remove gum from hair or clothing, use peanut butter. It may leave a grease stain afterward, but you can use Dawn dish liquid or other stain treatment to remove the oil.

That's all I can think of at the moment. You guys had some really great tips.

Thanks.

raerae

my super evil tip that i can say because my husband will not come anywhere near this site:

only date / marry marginal neat freaks... if you leave a mess there long enough, it will end up pissing them off and then they end up cleaning up after you AND more (usually to make some sort of point of what you should be doing- ummm, yeah, right)).

and then be so greatful that dinner is on you.

HAHAHAHAHA (thats my sinister laugh)

i love that one.

I guess my husband is a pretty smart man than, cuz he married me and I'm a neat freak. lol. Everytime he makes a mess, he knows i'll clean it up cuz it bugs me when he does nothing about it

LOL!!

I only have a few contributions. Here it goes;

I learned this from a dry cleaner. For soiled laundry like ground in dirt, grass satins or motor oil pour a can of coke in with it. It eats away at the stains. It will even boost regular laundry. Peroxide will whiten whites.

To keep your bathroom mirrors from fogging up. Lather your hands with soap wipe on the mirrors and wipe off with a towel. It will not streak and you'll have unfogged mirrors.

An ember from the fireplace burned a dime size hole in my very large, expensive area rug all the way down to the backing, it was beyond repair. I noticed that I had some candles the same shades of the rug, I filled the hole with drops of candle wax, in the corresponding colors. You can't even tell there was a nasty burn unless you get on your hands and knees. It saved my rug!

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but here goes.

The best window cleaner is plain water and a paper coffee filter. I learned this as a maid. We just always splashed water on the mirrors and had a spray bottle for the windows. Newspaper works well in place of the coffee filters. Adding a little vinegar to the water bottle is great as well.

Back