*Holy Crap (HC)* List

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by ddalgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Marcelle Eyeliner - wore off crazy quickly.

L'oreal Voluminous Million Lashes mascara - I love how it looks, but it would flake like crazy and I hated the smell.

Organix shampoo and conditioner - I know it works well for other people, but each time I try it my hair just feels oily and heavy.

Stila lip stain - applies streaky. I wouldn't repurchase but I don't mind using it up.

EOS lip balm - doesn't moisturize my lips and I've tried most flavours. Had the best luck with the strawberry, though.
I've only had the EOS strawberry -I wouldn't recommend this for moisturizing dry chapped lips, I found it best to use a base under a drying long wear ormatte lipstick where you want some moisture but not so much that it messes up the lipstick or make it slip too much.

TOMS of MAINE Natural deodorant 

*makes your armpits smell like cat pee

- even my husband and my mom tried it and said the same thing.

Don't flog me, but I can not STAND Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation. One: breaks me out like CRAZY. Two, the smell is AWFUL. I don't know if I had a bad bottle or something but it seriously smells like spray paint to me. I know tons of people swear by this stuff, but I just don't get it! I also agree the original maybelline great lash (pink and green tube) is atrocious. Another one I don't understand the hype. Makeup Forever "aqua" eyeshadow. I've tried the sticks. I've tried the pots. They clump and wear so unevenly on me even with primer. I hate it because the colors are so pretty, but I always end up with random chunks of eyeshadow all over my lid by the end of the day. It's not cute.

Don't flog me, but I can not STAND Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation. One: breaks me out like CRAZY. Two, the smell is AWFUL. I don't know if I had a bad bottle or something but it seriously smells like spray paint to me. I know tons of people swear by this stuff, but I just don't get it! I also agree the original maybelline great lash (pink and green tube) is atrocious. Another one I don't understand the hype.
I don't think great lash is atrocious, but I don't get the hype either. It basically just costs my lashes in black. I don't think it does anything for them, like lengthen or add volume. I also find that it clumps on my lashes.

Quote: Originally Posted by ddalgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Organix shampoo and conditioner - I know it works well for other people, but each time I try it my hair just feels oily and heavy.

These make my hair so dry! Almost like straw. Definitely on my crap list too

This was an awesome thread topic idea! Lets see, my HC items would be: -Fresh lip balm, everyone swears by these and to me they smell like cheap household cleaner and make my lips dry. -stila lip and cheek stains, horrendous! -Lush mask of magnaminty, grease lightening, tea tree water. They all made me break out even though they are intended to clear the skin.

1. Trim tweezers - No, just no... I bought these because I lost my tweezers and I'm waiting for my tweezerman tweezers to get her. I figured they would be sufficient for a little bit. I couldn't finish tweezing because they refused to grip the hair at all. 

2. Diorshow Black Out Waterproof - It's okay, I guess, but not worth the money at all. The formula is WAY too wet and I have to wiped the brush off quite a bit so that my lashes don't clump like crazy.

3. Em Cosmetics Lash Gallery Mascara - This may be the worst mascara that I have ever tried in my life. It's insanely goopy and clumpy. I got this in my Ipsy bag and it has convinced me that, along with the reviews I've read, that I never, ever need to waste my money on their products.

Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That stuff gave me a chemical burn. I was like why are my armpits red, and the skin is pealing. I quit using it, and my armpits went to normal. I make my own deodorant now. My mom uses Toms though, and she has no problems with it. 

Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I may be the only one who feels this way but I'm just gonna go with NYX individual shadows altogether. I've purchased about 20 of them in various colors and while 2 of them I like, the rest are just HOLY CRAP. So un-pigmented. I keep buying them and telling myself that this one might be good and they never are 
icon_cry.gif

I haven't had this experience. I own 2 of the singles, and they're both very pigmented. Ha, maybe it's the same 2 that you like. 

I don't like the Milani Baked Blushes. I had Dolce Pink, and my cheeks would be so sparkly it was weird. I didn't think it was very pigmented either, so all sparkle and no color.

Bite Lip Shine in Vintage that came in a Sephora lip kit turned me off to buying other Bite lip products. It was so gross. It smelled like some bad medicine. I threw it away after trying to use, but I couldn't get past the smell. I did get another Bite lip stick in another Sephora kit this year, and I don't have a problem with it. 

*Organix Tea Tree scalp therapy shampoo/conditioner - actually broke my scalp out with big painful pimples, ouch! I've never, ever experienced that before. It also left my scalp dry, flaky and itchy - also things I've never struggled with. Needless to say, they went into the trash. *Revlon lip butters - not because they're bad by any means, but every single one I tried reacted badly with my body chemistry and turned orangey on my lips. Orange and orange based lippies do not look good on me at all. I had the same problem with the few Revlon lip stain crayons I tried too. *Olay Foaming Face Wash - the one in the tube, not the pump. This stuff was terrible! It didn't remove makeup at all and left a nasty feeling film on my face. It broke me out and I'm still trying to get rid of the hard little bumps that it left on my cheeks. *I have to agree with the Maybelline Great Lash mascara. I think it's the worst mascara I have ever tried. It did nothing for lengthing or volume and it smudged all around my eyes like crazy. *Ulta brand products - I have tried their blush, mascaras, eyeliners, face wash, lotions, etc. I have yet to use one of their products that wasn't terrible. The blush had no pigment, the mascara ranked right up there with the Great lash, the eyeliner said it was long wearing but was gone in an hour, the face wash burned my eyes and skin, and their lotions caused huge rashes on my legs. I give up with the Ulta brand. *EM by Michelle Phan waterliner - I know that most loved these, but the one I got was dry and hard and didn't apply well at all. It pulled on my eyes and applied unevenly and it was so hard and dry that I couldn't get it on my waterline. Maybe I got a bad one, but there are so many other brands that I love that I doubt I'll give this a second chance. I'm sure I'll think of more. I'm rather picky...

Quote: Originally Posted by KellyKaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This was an awesome thread topic idea! Lets see, my HC items would be:
-Fresh lip balm, everyone swears by these and to me they smell like cheap household cleaner and make my lips dry.
-stila lip and cheek stains, horrendous!
-Lush mask of magnaminty, grease lightening, tea tree water. They all made me break out even though they are intended to clear the skin.
I knew I loved you, lol.  I don't get the Fresh hype at all. It seems to me like normal everyday lip balm that costs $20 a tube. Chapstick used to make one with silk in it that I LOVED that was $4 a tube, lol.

My list

Oil of Olay moisturizers burn my face. It's not just them but off the top of my head they do. I'm going to have to narrow down the ingredient that I react to.

Stila eyeshadow. I keep buying the palettes and I never use them because they don't work as well as my other shadows.

Not crap but I don't get the LOVE for (I like it ok) They're Real mascara. It's really wet so it always transfers on me and that little ball on the end holds way too much product and makes my smaller lashes clump. It works ok when I have the time to do it really slowly, but as an easy quick way to get lots of lashes, nope.

I knew I loved you, lol.  I don't get the Fresh hype at all. It seems to me like normal everyday lip balm that costs $20 a tube. Chapstick used to make one with silk in it that I LOVED that was $4 a tube, lol. My list Oil of Olay moisturizers burn my face. It's not just them but off the top of my head they do. I'm going to have to narrow down the ingredient that I react to. Stila eyeshadow. I keep buying the palettes and I never use them because they don't work as well as my other shadows. Not crap but I don't get the LOVE for (I like it ok) They're Real mascara. It's really wet so it always transfers on me and that little ball on the end holds way too much product and makes my smaller lashes clump. It works ok when I have the time to do it really slowly, but as an easy quick way to get lots of lashes, nope.
Yeah, I definitely don't get the Fresh balm hype. I'm good with a pack of Chapstick or even Herpecin L, I know it's for cold sores but I wear it all the time in the winter and my lips have never been more smooth. I also used to be a huge fan of They're Real until I got a tube of Lancôme Hypnose Star. That stuff can take my face from Zero to Hero in 2.5 seconds flat. It's kind of a miracle.

Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Opposite of 'Holy Grail"'
Drugstore/ High End/ Makeup/Bodycare - whatever!
What are the absolute worst of the worst products you have tried, and can warn us about?

Off hand I can think of

WnW Liquid Lipsticks - not for colors or pigmentation but the formula is god awful!I don't see how anyone can wear these

Maybelline Falsies Mascara - Black Drama - worked beautifully for a week, then was horrible - absolutely a clumpy/ flaky hot mess! (original formula I love)

Cream of Nature Moisturizing conditioner - made my hair feel like straw - horrendous
I love the WnW Megalast Lipsticks, they are my drug store favorites, but those liquids ones are SO TERRIBLE! I lasted maybe 10 minutes with it on before I just had to take it off, because it just  felt so awful on my lips. They felt dry and cakey. Everytime I moved my mouth it felt like the skin on my lips were being ripped apart. Ugh.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, those WnW Liquid Lipsticks were the first thing that came to my mind.

First, yeah, Great Lash. In thirty years it has never done anything for my lashes, and it was the reason that for many years I wouldn't touch Maybelline. Second, any of those lip colors that are supposed to go on for 12 hours, and comes with a separate top coat. I think Cover Girl's is called Outlast. No, just no...even with constantly putting on the clear coat, it made my lips dry and flaky and felt like they were coated in plastic. Third and related, the stick-on lip color and eyeliners. Not only did they feel like plastic laminate, they irritated something awful and looked worse. Fourth, the chubby Ulta eye pencils, the ones about the size of the Tarte or Sue Devitt eyeliners. They smear *everywhere* and the smudger seems to erase some of the color intensity.

I have to echo a lot of you about the Great Lash, and the Organix.  Neither of those products were any good for me.  I've also had bad luck with all of the Hard Candy items I've tired.  Their under eye concealer was the shade and texture of elmer's glue, the orange lippy turned neon pink.  I also have had bad luck with every NYX lippy I've ever gotten.  They all end up looking very muddy on me, no matter what the color in the tube looks like.  Maybelline BB cream, a greasy orange mess.  ELF eye shadow primer was terrible for me, left my shadow creased and faded within 2 hours.  I know a lot of people like it, but I thought it was just awful.

Chantecaille eye shadows.  HOLY CRAP, for what you pay for these suckers, they should at least stay on.  Even with a good eyeshadow primer, they're gone by 10 AM.  Save your money!

I may get flogged for this - but Im sorry, NARS glosses smell like dirty rags - I just dont understand?

I love the shades, especially Turkish Delight which looks amazing - but I can't get over the smell and cant get myself to buy one.

For such a high end product they could at least make the smell decent - or just dont have any at all - 

On the drugstore end - I find that most of L'Oreal's lip products are the same way - that terrible old lady scent. 

Beautiful shades, but I take a whiff and totally turned off.

AWESOME THREAD! I LOVE IT!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*makes your armpits smell like cat pee

- even my husband and my mom tried it and said the same thing.
Oh no, I was going to start buying Toms of Maine deodorant when my current one ran out.

Which one did you get? They have multiple kinds... I wonder if they are all horrible? Thanks for saving me from that purchase!

My HCs:

1. FLOWER (by Drew Barrymore) Color Play creme eyeshadow in 'Cocoa Camellia'. EUGH this is disgusting! It's like so wet and ... gloopy. It's pigmented which is great, but it is also like putting on yogurt! It doesn't blend, it just smears, it is just nasty. Had to return it. Was really looking forward to it because it was a matte brown cream shadow. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

2. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in 'Smitten'. This stuff is awful. Drying. Smelly. The top cracks. It is the most unnatural fuschia color, and in the hijacked words of of Buffy, 'This balm stain is neither balmy or stainy!'

3. Tarte BB tinted primer- I love Tarte normally- absolutely love it! But when I tried the BB tinted primer, it was like smearing my face with pure silicone. Yuck. It made me break out... and is still causing breakouts weeks after I stopped using it. If you are one of those people who can't use face primers, stay away from this for sure. It's so drying too. Eww.

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Oh no, I was going to start buying Toms of Maine deodorant when my current one ran out.

Which one did you get? They have multiple kinds... I wonder if they are all horrible? Thanks for saving me from that purchase!

My HCs:

1. FLOWER (by Drew Barrymore) Color Play creme eyeshadow in 'Cocoa Camellia'. EUGH this is disgusting! It's like so wet and ... gloopy. It's pigmented which is great, but it is also like putting on yogurt! It doesn't blend, it just smears, it is just nasty. Had to return it. Was really looking forward to it because it was a matte brown cream shadow. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

2. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in 'Smitten'. This stuff is awful. Drying. Smelly. The top cracks. It is the most unnatural fuschia color, and in the hijacked words of of Buffy, 'This balm stain is neither balmy or stainy!'

3. Tarte BB tinted primer- I love Tarte normally- absolutely love it! But when I tried the BB tinted primer, it was like smearing my face with pure silicone. Yuck. It made me break out... and is still causing breakouts weeks after I stopped using it. If you are one of those people who can't use face primers, stay away from this for sure. It's so drying too. Eww.
If I remember I think it was just the original scent - but the experience was so horrifying Im to afraid to try different scent. Cat pee on pits = not cute.

Oh no, I was going to start buying Toms of Maine deodorant when my current one ran out. Which one did you get? They have multiple kinds... I wonder if they are all horrible? Thanks for saving me from that purchase! My HCs: 1. FLOWER (by Drew Barrymore) Color Play creme eyeshadow in 'Cocoa Camellia'. EUGH this is disgusting! It's like so wet and ... gloopy. It's pigmented which is great, but it is also like putting on yogurt! It doesn't blend, it just smears, it is just nasty. Had to return it. Was really looking forward to it because it was a matte brown cream shadow. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 2. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in 'Smitten'. This stuff is awful. Drying. Smelly. The top cracks. It is the most unnatural fuschia color, and in the hijacked words of of Buffy, 'This balm stain is neither balmy or stainy!' 3. Tarte BB tinted primer- I love Tarte normally- absolutely love it! But when I tried the BB tinted primer, it was like smearing my face with pure silicone. Yuck. It made me break out... and is still causing breakouts weeks after I stopped using it. If you are one of those people who can't use face primers, stay away from this for sure. It's so drying too. Eww.
I have the Toms of Maine deoderant in apricot and I like it just fine

My face did not like the Laura Mercier oil free tinted moisturizer I tried this summer. I used the fairest choice and it looked ok going on, but turned very orange within an hour and my face got very oily for remainder of day. I'm sure it's fine for other people. I was Oompa Loompa orange! I switched to CK one color 3-1 foundation in porcelain and love it.

Back