*Holy Crap (HC)* List

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is helping my low buy lol 

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I may be the only one who feels this way but I'm just gonna go with NYX individual shadows altogether. I've purchased about 20 of them in various colors and while 2 of them I like, the rest are just HOLY CRAP. So un-pigmented. I keep buying them and telling myself that this one might be good and they never are 
icon_cry.gif

I hate almost every NYX product that I've tried. I haven't tried their lip products though.

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't flog me, but I can not STAND Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation. One: breaks me out like CRAZY. Two, the smell is AWFUL. I don't know if I had a bad bottle or something but it seriously smells like spray paint to me. I know tons of people swear by this stuff, but I just don't get it!

That stuff broke me out like crazy too and I hate the smell also.

Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I may get flogged for this - but Im sorry, NARS glosses smell like dirty rags - I just dont understand?
They smell awful. I tried one and thought I received an old gloss until I saw other reviews saying the same thing.

Quote: Originally Posted by KellyKaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by katielp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But seriously. Who buys this crap?!?!

I would rather use nothing before using that mascara. I don't care how jaded that sounds. Maybe older women who find that it has nostalgia or something, idk. I know people who brought it when they were new to makeup. It was probably their first mascara. Maybe tweens think that mascara is awesome lol

Nope! ;-)  That stuff's the worst - clumpy, bad, just all around no good.  I never got the hype either, even after all these years!
I think it is very good marketing. There are many many women who do not regularly wear makeup, and some that do who only buy drugstore brands and are not informed about makeup. If you knew nothing about make up and ran into a drugstore or Walmart or target and wanted mascara you would see that one, it is one you have probably heard of and it says right on the package #1 mascara. And you would probably think, millions of women over decades can't be wrong. So that is the one you would buy and if you've neve tried a different mascara, you are unaware there could be something better. I've bought that same mascara at least five times thinking I must be missing something. And when I was in high school I think that is mostly what every girl used. I am not putting down drugstore brands of mascara or makeup. The are some I love. And I know the are some women that have tried all different brands and love that one best, because everyone is different.

Mine : Suki anything - that stuff gave me a horrible break out and an allergic reaction. I'm so jealous of everyone who loves the stuff! Sephora Liquid Eyeliner - when I stepped outside my eyes started to water really badly and the liner started to burn my eyes - so more water. So much eyeliner all over my face that my friends thought I was crying all the way into Starbucks! The Balm's Stainiac - love the brand hate this product. It's so faint and difficult to work with! Too Faced - lava eyeliner or whatever. I can't get this to work on me at all. It's so gummy and pulls on my eyelid when I try to apply. I'm sure there's more!!

Maybelline Define a Lash mascara - Applying this mascara is a pain in the butt because the flimsy wand bends too much when I apply it to my lashes.

Revlon lash glue - This dries fast and doesn't stick well.

Black Radiance Shine Control primer - This broke me out like crazy.

Studio 35 cotton rounds (I think it's the Walgreen's brand) - These are horrible cotton rounds. I need two to remove makeup on one eye and they tear apart easily.

Bare Minerals Mineral Veil - My face looked the same after applying it. About 20 minutes later, I looked like an oil slick. It did not absorb oil or minimize the look of pores.

Smashbox BB Cream - This broke me out. This caused my worst breakout of 2013. Also, there's isn't a shade that matches me perfectly.

Rimmel Show Off lip gloss - This smelled awful. I threw it away because the smell lingered after I applied it and I couldn't stand it.

Can I just say that I LOVE the idea of a "Holy Crap" thread?  
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Juice Beauty CC Cream - sheer coverage, greasy feel, and OH DEAR GOD THE SMELL.  So disgusting.

ModelCo Fiber Mascara - got it in my very first birchbox - it was just so bad... dried up, clumpy, and did absolutely nothing.

Benta Berry Moisturizer - another BB Fail - it was supposed to be mattifying (it wasn't) and the second I tried to put any sort of makeup on over it, it pilled up into little balls on my face.  Gross!

Bare Minerals Foundation - I don't have oily skin but this stuff made me look like I had rubbed a greased pig all over my face. NYX eyeliners - I avoided NYX products for a long time because their eyeliners were so bad on me.  I just tried one of their lip butters, though, and it was wonderful. Smashbox Eyeshadows - I don't feel like they show up well and they feel dry and powdery to me.I hate putting them on clients as well...Not a fan at all! Sephora Liquid Eyeliner - Didn't stay on my eyes at all and I could not get it to apply evenly. Their cream liner was dry and clumpy too Revlon Colorstay Overtime Lipcolor - Ugh, I wanted to love this because the color was wonderful, but was gross and drying on my lips. I looked like I had some sort of film on my mouth after about an hour of wearing it. 

Quote: Originally Posted by luckyme502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it is very good marketing. There are many many women who do not regularly wear makeup, and some that do who only buy drugstore brands and are not informed about makeup. If you knew nothing about make up and ran into a drugstore or Walmart or target and wanted mascara you would see that one, it is one you have probably heard of and it says right on the package #1 mascara. And you would probably think, millions of women over decades can't be wrong. So that is the one you would buy and if you've neve tried a different mascara, you are unaware there could be something better. I've bought that same mascara at least five times thinking I must be missing something. And when I was in high school I think that is mostly what every girl used.

I am not putting down drugstore brands of mascara or makeup. The are some I love. And I know the are some women that have tried all different brands and love that one best, because everyone is different.
One of my favorite mascara's ever is the $2.99 Jordana one! Great Lash is just awful. I could name at least 10 drugstore mascaras that blow that one out of the water. Actually probably every mascara in the drugstore except some WnW ones are better.

Quote: Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  One of my favorite mascara's ever is the $2.99 Jordana one! Great Lash is just awful. I could name at least 10 drugstore mascaras that blow that one out of the water. Actually probably every mascara in the drugstore except some WnW ones are better.
See, it's the marketing.  I have never heard of the Jordana mascara, but everyone has heard of Great Lash.

Quote: Originally Posted by luckyme502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  See, it's the marketing.  I have never heard of the Jordana mascara, but everyone has heard of Great Lash.
So so true. Every magazine always lists it as the BEST. Drives me insane!

Wait I forgot one! Cvs brand cotton balls! I never thought a cotton ball could make me angry but these....dude, I was legit angry at the cotton balls. They're SO SMALL that if you put any liquid on it they turn into literally like a pea sized ball of mess. What am I supposed to do with tha!?

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wait I forgot one! Cvs brand cotton balls! I never thought a cotton ball could make me angry but these....dude, I was legit angry at the cotton balls. They're SO SMALL that if you put any liquid on it they turn into literally like a pea sized ball of mess. What am I supposed to do with tha!?
I know exactly what you mean!!!! Those are awful!

Michael Marcus eyeliner (tried it in the shade Midnight) - I received it in a beauty sub box and it was just awful. It says that it's made from Japanese wax to help glide on effortlessly. Ohhhh, my. I was tugging on my eyelid so much just to SEE the darn thing and I really couldn't see that I had any on at all. Barely any pigment whatsoever.

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream - so ORANGE, just SO ORANGE. In pretty much almost every shade. Who has that much orange in their skin tone other than Oompa Loompas? LOL

Ole Henriksen Truth Creme Advanced Hydration - I know some people love it, I do. I actually adore their Truth Serum...however the smell of the Truth Creme is HORRIBLE to me. I can typically overlook a smell if the product works well, but this is like....I don't know....it's like rotting, moldy bitter oranges with no sweetness whatsoever.

Nicka K Makeup Cleansing Tissues - The weave of the tissue is super scratchy. My face is always red afterwards even if I'm barely applying any pressure at all. You can use these on your eyes at all since it pulls on the skin too much to remove makeup.

Starlooks False Eyelashes - I have never had a problem applying falsies. I learned how to apply them when I was 12 at my ballet studio. I had SUCH a hellish time using their eyelash glue and getting the eyelashes to apply. The glue took forever to dry and when it did it peels off the skin way too easily. They just popped right off within the hour of applying.

Haha, I will probably add more to this list later...but these are the first things that pop into my head!

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Starlooks False Eyelashes - I have never had a problem applying falsies. I learned how to apply them when I was 12 at my ballet studio. I had SUCH a hellish time using their eyelash glue and getting the eyelashes to apply. The glue took forever to dry and when it did it peels off the skin way too easily. They just popped right off within the hour of applying.

I have that problem with pretty much any glue that comes with lashes. I toss those little glue tubes right into the trash.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have that problem with pretty much any glue that comes with lashes. I toss those little glue tubes right into the trash.
What's the best glue you've used? For the life of me I can't remember my favorite one I used to have....it was black, I remember that much and a bit on the stickier side which I thought was awesome. No lash strip ever came off a single millimeter when I used that stuff! It also wasn't hard to take off!

What's the best glue you've used? For the life of me I can't remember my favorite one I used to have....it was black, I remember that much and a bit on the stickier side which I thought was awesome. No lash strip ever came off a single millimeter when I used that stuff! It also wasn't hard to take off!
I've just recently gotten into false lashes. I was always afraid to wear them because I feared they would fall off. *Me standing outside with my falsie flapping in the wind* ...so scary haha but, I have been loving the Duo glue. I use the white one that dries clear but they also have one that dries black. Not sure if that's the brand you were thinking of but it's a suggestion! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My offenders list:

--Organix.  Yuck, yuck yuck on all fronts.  None of the versions have been good for me.

--Great Lash Mascaras.  I bought the hype a couple times and have never been a fan.  If I needed brow gel I might try the clear one though...

--Fresh lip balms.  Meh.  I think they taste weird.  I usually don't ever taste my balms, but Fresh always gets in my mouth because it's so emollient.

--Lush Snow Fairy.  I wanted to like it, but it smells juvenile to me.

-- Benefit stains in the nail polish type bottles.  They don't work on my lips and for cheeks they dry down too fast before I can really work with them.

--Benefit "They're Real".  It was just a goopy, clumped mess for me.

--NYX jumbo pencils.  They must have sponsored some of the gurus back in the day.  I admit I bought the hype, but they just crease and are greasy on me.

--Ole Henrickson as a brand.  I'm just not fan.

--Philosophy Hope in a Jar.  It burned and stung my eyes badly.

--Boots Botanicals eye makeup remover.  It's greasy and I can't wait to finish it.  On the up side, the bottle magically refills itself!

--Bath and Body Works as a whole.  

--Clinique Lotion.  It wasn't dramatically different for me and stung my skin.

--Bare Minerals.  I'm allergic to their powders.  My face burned and sloughed after a few days of use.

I happen to get on well with the Tom's of Maine deodorant, but my boyfriend got a chemical burn from it and had to go to the dermatologist.  He was using the apricot version at the time.

I love my trusty yet plain Ardell glue. I haven't found anything that matches up to it yet.

Quote: Originally Posted by KaitlinKolors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just recently gotten into false lashes. I was always afraid to wear them because I feared they would fall off. *Me standing outside with my falsie flapping in the wind* ...so scary haha but, I have been loving the Duo glue. I use the white one that dries clear but they also have one that dries black. Not sure if that's the brand you were thinking of but it's a suggestion! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Duo glue is awesome! It comes in clear and black. I don't wear falsies often, but when I do I use Duo glue. 

One of those brands of lash glue and latex and I'm allergic to latex.  I have to be very careful and read labels before I use lash glue. 

I forgot to say lavanila lip shine. It's oil... in a tube... for your lips yay? It's so gross the feel of oil on your lips and just pours out of the tube it's disgusting. I'm using it at night right now trying to get some use out of it but i might just chuck it.

Back