Homemade Skincare Recipes and Masks

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salt and Sugar Scrubs

These make Wonderful Gifts!

Salt Scrub

3 tb. almond oil

1/2 tb. liquid lecithin

Melt together. Cool and add:

1 capsule vitamin E

1/4 cup fine sea salt

20 drops fragrance oil

Salt Glow

2 lb. sea salt

1 lb. epsom salt

1/2 cup borax

1/4 cup vitamin E

1/2 cup shredded soap

1/2 cup sulphonated castor oil

1/2 tsp. lavender e.o.

4 tsp. grated lime zest

Mix together well.

Salt Scrub

1/2 cup sea salt

1/4 cup jojoba oil

1/4 cup liquid soap

1/4-1/2 tsp. fragrance or essential oil

Salt Glow

1/2 cup melted glycerine soap

1/3 cup lamond oil

1/4 tsp. e.o. or f.o.

pearlescent powder

pinch or two powdered lavender or rose petals

Salt Glow

1 cup salt

1 1/3 cup oil

1/2 cup melted glycerine soap

1 tb. vitamin E

e.o. or f.o.

Herbal Salt Scrub

2 cups sea salt

1/2 cup almond oil

1/2 cup macadamia nut oil

1/2 cup sesame seed oil

1 tsp. vitamin E

1 tb. dried, ground lavender, rosemary, mint

1-2 drops e.o.

Herbal Salt Scrub

2 cups salt

1/2 cup almond oil

1/4 cup macadamia nut oil

1/4 cup jojoba oil

1 tsp. vitamin E

1 tsp. dried rosemary

1 tsp. dried spearmint

1 tsp. dried lavender

few drops e.o.

Salt Scrub

2 lb. dead Sea Salts

1 lb. epsom salts

1/4 cup borax

1/2 cup jojoba oil

1/3 cup vitamin E

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 lb. grated soap

1 tb. glycerine

3 tsp. lime e.o.

1 tsp. ground lime peel

1 tsp. orange peel, ground

2 tsp. vitamin C powder

Salt Scrub

2 cups epsom salt

1/4 oz. glycerine soap

1 cup oil

10 drops rosemary e.o.

10 drops peppermint e.o.

Melt oil and soap together. Stir in the salt, add e.o.'s.

Salt Body Scrub

1/2 cup liquid soap

1 cup table salt

1 tb. glycerine soap, melted

1 tb. jojoba oil

1/4 tsp. vitamijn E

e.o.'s

Salt Scrub

1 1/4 cup sea salt

1/4 cup almond oil

1/8 cup melted glycerine soap

1 tb. aloe vera gel

1/4 tsp. vitamin E

e.o.'s

Salt Glow

2 cups sea salt

1 cup epsom salt

1 tsp. jojoba oil

1/4 cup liquid soap

lavender e.o.

orange e.o.

(if desired, add 3 tb. ground orange peel to this)

Salt Scrub

2 tb. medium sea salt

2 tb. fine sea salt

1 tsp. e.o. blend

1 tb. glycerine

2 oz. almond oil

2 oz. jojoba oil

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lavender Salt Scrub

2 tablespoons dried lavender

2 cups sea salt

1/2 cup sweet almond oil

1/2 cup light olive oil

1 teaspoon vitamin E oil

2 drops lavender essential oil

Crush the lavender in a mortar with a pestle. Mix together with salt and oils. While standing in a tub, work the salt paste into skin. Be careful as the oil can make the tub slippery. Place a towel in the tub if needed. Rinse in warm water.

http://www.seasonedwithlove.com/create_a_home_spa.htm

Salt Scrub Recipe

Salt rubs are an invigorating way to give yourself an at home spa treatment that will leave your skin feeling incredibly silky and your entire body energized.

Mix together 2 parts salt (either sea salt or lightly ground pickling salt) and one part oil. Some suggested oils are sweet almond, grape seed, sunflower or sesame. You can also add essential oil to your oil, making sure it has been adequately diluted - 1 to 2 tsp for 2 cups of scrub.

To use your scrub: Start with warm damp skin. Stand under a warm shower for a few minutes, then start using your scrub by working your way up your body in circular motions. Follow by rinsing under the shower and then washing with a mild soap or shower gel. A word of caution: Do not use this treatment of you are sunburned or have had any hair removal treatment within the last 24 hours. It could sting! I used course pickling salt ground in a coffee grinder to make a bit finer. If the salt is too chunky it will just fall off your hand when you turn it towards your skin. The oil I used was grape seed because it is slightly astringent, fast absorbing and odorless. I added 1 tsp of grapefruit and 1 tsp of lime essential oils - both good cellulite busters and very invigorating.

http://www.splashbodycare.com/newsletter.html

Tracey's Salt Scrub Recipe

My obsession started when I read the description for Origins Body Scrub: "skin scouring sea salts buffered in emollient-rich Macadamia, Soybean, Kukui, and Sweet Almond Oils remove all traces of roughness to buff every bit of you, while invigorating Spearmint and Rosemary rev up sleepy skin..." It sounded so scrumptious and so spendy I wanted to try making my own. I went down to the QFC grocery store where they have more fancy kitchen supplies but definitely more affordable than Origins. I perused the nut oils and settled on Sweet Almond and Walnut Oils by International Collection Oils and Baleine Sea Salt Coarse Crystals (from Julia's notes: next time get Fine) I should have used Spearmint and Rosemary essential oils to make it more "authentic", but what can I say, I'm a cheapskate. I used some China Rain Essential Oil that I had on hand.

My concoction:

1/2 volume salt

1/4 volume one nut oil

1/4 volume other nut oil

Add Essential Oil to smell

If it takes a lot of essential oil to make your scrub fragrant and your concoction starts to get to oily, just add some more salt. Store in a jar or baggie.

It made my skin very soft and smell nice. I don't think it did much in the way of exfoliation though (I often think a clean wash cloth can beat out any exfoliant). It was a pleasant scratching type of feeling. Perhaps a little too scratchy.

Another general recipe you might want to try:

Do It Yourself Scrub

1 part oil of choice

1 part abrasive (salt, fine sand, ground oatmeal, ground almonds, etc.)

3 to 5 drops of essential oil of choice. You may also add 1 part liquid soap if desire Mix well with a fork. Apply gently to skin and shower or bath as usual.

This was found at Toiletries Library

Here is a recipe that a friend of mine made me for Christmas:

2 cups of kosher salt

1 cup of extra virgin olive oil (for a less oily version, use almond oil)

peppermint essential oil (enough for a "tingle")

Before showering, scoop out a handful and gently scub. This is a wonderfully moisturizing way to exfoliate. I finish up with a shower using homemade peppermint soap.

Georgia

Salt Glows, Scrubs or Rubs

by Dee Buckingham - July 16, 2000

Remember when eating in a Chinese restaurant was as easy as picking one from Column A, one from Column B and one from Column C. These days it's more complicated to order coffee than a 16 course Chinese banquet. Making salt scrubs, salt glows, salt rubs (and whatever cosmetic companies call rubbing an abrasive on your skin) is as easy as making three basic choices: an abrasive choice; an oil choice; and a cleansing choice. Fragrances are optional, but a nice feature. Personally, I only make foot scrubs. Again, I think of liability and don't want to be blamed for rubbing salt in a customer's wounds. (Also hairy men tend to loose salt in their chests for days!) Column A is the abrasive. I prefer sea salt, Hawaiian sea salt in particular. But, since I live in Hawaii, it's a grocery store item. I use half and half Hawaiian salt and Epsom salt. Regular table salt can be used for a finer feeling. Sand is a choice, too. Use sterilized sand, not beach sand. Mild abrasives can be used on the face. Ground oatmeal, ground almonds are examples of mild abrasives. I've never had luck with these. I always ended up with a lumpy mush that looked like a summer fun project even a grandmother couldn't love.

WARNING: Keep in mind that if you use something like almonds, they WILL go rancid. Use it immediately and don't give it as a gift. I've given friends beautifully crafted soaps and salts that they keep saving for a special occasion! Being dirty is occasion enough. The Column B of oil is easy. Jojoba oil is a nice "carrier" but it is pricey. Almond oil is fine, so is a very light canola oil. The cheapest light canola oil works the best. If you have the time you can pierce vitamin E capsules. (I use about one capsule for every 4 ounces of salt for the consistency I like.) A middle-priced oil can be found in the grocery store. Buy oil that is made for massage. Column C is the soap. Again, if you want to be practical, use any liquid facial soap in the grocery store. The high end of this approach is to shave down and melt glycerin soap.

TIP: If you use scented soaps you don't have to buy fragrance oils and you know that the fragrance is safe for use as a bath product. Now, the "recipe" is to experiment until you get the consistency you like. I'll give you some recipes, but adjust them. This is not science, it's an art. I sell these only as foot scrubs. The more oil you have the more "glow" you get. The more salt you add, the more "salt" you get. If you use a combination of table and sea salt (and a little color) you can "mush it up" and get something of a texture of an Italian ice or a creamy sorbet. Pretty citrus colors and citrus fragrances work well together. Blue and mints are nice and lavender and floral scents work well. Enough talk. The recipes.

Whenever you use the glycerine soap as a soap it should be melted. (I know that was obvious to you, but I wanted to throw it in.) If you need to know how to melt glycerin soap go to the Why Your Soap Failed article.

1/4 cup oil

1/4 cup soap

1/4 cup sea salt

1/4 cup epsom salt

I wish I could make this it more complicated, but it's not.

The proportions are basically equal soap, salt and oil. The more salt you use the stronger I suggest not using it on your body.

A nice foot care basket would include a foot scrub scented with mint, a foot deodorizer powder, a foot spray, and a glycerine soap in the shape of a foot. (If you go to your "five and dime" store you can find foot shaped aluminum cookie molds for a dollar.)

The "callous remover" salt scrub recipe below, uses table salt and sand. This combination allows the user to really massage over the callouses.

The larger grain salt falls off the body easier and it harder to massage in.

RECIPE: An equal part of table salt and sand is mixed with liquid shower gel or liquid soap. Use about 3 T of EACH abrasive and 1 teaspoon of the soap.

This is from Cat at 1tlc Soaps, as are most of the better recipes that I have collected.

Origins Ginger Body Scrub

This is what I was able to find out looking at the ingredient label:

Ginger Body Scrub Ingredients: sea salt, soybean oil, cardamom essential oil, coriander e.o., eucalyptus e.o., ginger e.o., clove e.o., lime e.o., orange e.o., bergamot e.o, grapefruit peel, lemon e.o., grated ginger root, macadamia nut oil, kukui nut oil, avocado oil, almond oil, vitamin E.

By law, ingredients have to be listed in order of predominance, so I would start with:

1 cup sea salt

1/2 cup soybean oil

1 tb. dried ground grapefruit peel

1 tsp. dried, ground ginger root

1 tsp. macadamia nut oil

1 tsp. kukui nut oil

1 tsp. avocado oil

1 tsp. almond oil

1 tsp. vitamin E Mix and set aside.

Mix the scent blend statrting with:

10 drops cardamom e.o.

10 drops coriander e.o.

5 drops eucalyptus e.o.

5 drops ginger e.o.

3 drops clove e.o.

3 drops lime e.o.

3 drops orange e.o.

2 drops bergamot e.o.

2 drops lemon e.o.

Dip a toothpick in and sniff. Does it need (for example) more lime or cardamom? Add each oil accordingly, test again.

Repeat until the scent seems right to you. Add a total of 30-60 drops scent blend to the mixed scrub.

OK EVERYONE..... here is my salt scrub:

1 cup dead sea salts

1/4 c cornmeal (finely ground) You could use organic blue to add color

1/4 c. sweet almond oil few drops of eo ( I use lavender, peppermint)

Mix well, after shower apply mixture. Rub gently, rinse within 5 minutes.

Use twice weekly. Works great, keeps well, does not spoil. Sell in mason jars.

Salt Rub Recipe

1/2 cup sea salt

1/2 cup sweet almond oil (you can also use extra virgin olive oil but almond oil is nicer & rinses off more easily)

4 natural vitamin E capsules - Censored with a sterilized pin and squeeze contents into mixture

6 - 10 drops each of the following essential oils - peppermint, pennyroyal, orange, spearmint and rosemary (this combination is important if you really want to recreate the wonderful aromatherapy of Origins Salt Rub)

Mix all ingredients well and allow to sit for at least one hour before first use. Massage lightly into the skin with a light touch until you are used to it. Rinse skin thoroughly. No need to apply lotion after

using this!

Store in a well sealed jar. Origins uses a heavy glass jar with a hinged and rubber gasket sealed lid that works well and can be found in most craft stores. Obviously, always use caution with glass in the bath area.

Bath Salts

There are many recipes for salts, I use the one with

3 cups sea salts

2 cups epsom salts

1 cup baking soda but there are many different types...this one is great for the muscles though.

There are also lots of different salt scrub recipes and the one i use is one with fine sea salts. The salt scrubs need to be in a plastic container jar or glass and the salts can pretty much go in anything you want..

Salt and Sugar scrubs seem to be the "in" thing this year, they are used and then the shower is completed, reports on them are very good.

This list is from the 1TLC Soaps List and were compiled by Cat.

Brown Sugar Body Scrub

2/3 cup brown sugar, packed

1/3-1/2 cup almond oil

1/2 tsp. vitamin E

30 drops grapefruit e.o.

20 drops lavender e.o.

15 drops lemon e.o.

10 drops orange e.o.

Brown Sugar Scrub

3-4 tb. vegetable oil

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp. vitamin E e.o.'s

Brown Sugar Scrub

1/2 cup ground almonds

1/2 cup ground oatmeal

1/2 cup brown sugar, packed

1/4 cup almond oil infused with vanilla bean

Brown Sugar and Almond Scrub

1 handful ground almonds

5 tb. ground oatmeal

2 tb. brown sugar

2 tb. honey

1/4 cup hot water or vegetable oil

Brown Sugar Scrub

4 oz. melted soap

8 oz. light oil

3-4 oz. brown sugar

1/2 oz. honey

Brown Sugar Scrub

2 cups brown sugar

1 cup light vegetable oil

Sugar Scrub

1 cup sugar or brown sugar

1 tb. avocado oil

1 tb. almond oil

1 tb. apricot oil

Sugar Scrub

1 cup sugar or brown sugar

1/4 cup almond oil

1/2 tsp. vitamin E

6-8 drops lavender e.o.

Sugar Scrub

5 lbs. sugar or brown sugar

1 cup almond oil

1 cup grapeseed oil e.o.'s

Brown Sugar Scrub

5 tb. ground oatmeal

2 tb. brown sugar

2 tb. honey

1/4 cup almond oil

5 drops e.o.

Sugar Scrub

1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. sugar few drops honey Brown Sugar Scrub

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tb. avocado oil

1 tsp. jojoba oil

2 tsp. honey

3 drops jasmine f.o.

1 drop balsam Peru e.o.

1 drop patchouli e.o.

Brown Sugar Scrub

2 oz. liquid soap or aloe vera gel

1/2 oz. glycerine

2 tb. brown sugar

20 drops vanilla f.o.

5 drops patchouli e.o.

5 drops ylang-ylang e.o.

Sugar Scrub

4 cups raw sugar

1 cup almond oil

1/2 cup jojoba oil

1/2 cup honey

1 tsp. e.o.'s Exfoliating Sugar

1/4 cup sugar

3 tb. honey

2 tb. aloe vera gel (or 1 tsp. lemon juice)

Here is a nice scent for the scrubs, similar to Bath and Body Work's "Warm Vanilla Sugar":

6 parts vanilla f.o.

1 part sandalwood e.o.

1 part musk f.o.

1/2 part jasmine f.o.

1/2 part coconut f.o.

credit link http://www.industryinet.com/~ruby/salt_sugar_scrubs.html

http://www.families-first.com/freshair/skincare.htm

Soft Silky Smooth Skin secret....

3 Tablespoon Baby Oil over candle then pour oil into cup, add 1tbsp sugar. Scrub all over body during bath time. Let stay for 5 minutes. Rinse....

Nice feeling after bath :whistling:

Wow, cool beans!! Thanks so much for all the awesome info in this thread. I'll be doing some printing very soon I think!!

4 homemade facial mask recipes

Milk Mask

You’ll need:

Milk

1/2 Cup Besan Flour

What you do:

Combine the ingredients until it’s a hearty paste. Refrigerate for a few hours. Smooth the mixture over face and let it set for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with a warm damp washcloth. Then splash on cool water to close skin pours. A benefit from this mask is a tightening sensation.

Exfoliating Mask

You’ll need:

egg whites

oatmeal

What you do:

Mix ingredients, slap on for five minutes. Let egg whites dry. Rinse with water. Voila! The oatmeal exfoliates dead skin, and works wonders when you scrub it on. Egg whites soften and smooth dry skin gently.

Moisturizing Honey and Lemon

You’ll need:

I TBSP honey (room temperature)

1 Tsp. lemon juice

Blend. Apply for 30 min, rinse with warm water. One plus is it’s

moisturizing effect.

Honey and Oatmeal mask

You’ll need

Honey

Oatmeal

Equally mix in oatmeal and honey leave on for 15 min. Rinse with warm water and then cold.

For All Skin Types

You’ll need:

1/2 c chopped cucumber

2 tsp. powdered milk

1 egg white

Blend to a smooth paste and apply in upwards motions to face and neck. Let dry on face for 30 min. Rinse with warm water.

For blemishes, mix 1 tsp of honey, 1 tsp of nutmeg, 1 tsp of cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp of bottled lemon juice. You can use fresh lemon juice, but it probably won't keep as long. Put the mixture on the blemish for at least an hour. I put the mixture into a little tupperware, and leave it in the fridge. I usually toss it after 2 weeks.

Why it works: Honey is acts as an antibacterial product and it also aids in skin regeneration. Nutmeg is a common anti-inflammatory product; it aids in reducing the redness, irritation and swelling. Cinnamon is a stimulant that acts kind of like a natural exfoliant. The lemon helps balance the acidity.

Salam,

Thank you all alot for those lovely recipes, I will try some of them..

Just to add somthing I use (personal recipe):

* For little plumping lips or make it natural red:

First I use every week the Morocoian loafah slowly on my lips to remove the dead skin and to make it sooooft. then put little of this mixture:

little vasilin + little amount of liquied gliseren + 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder + 1/4 teaspoon genjer (sorry for the weak english spelling).

mix it in little bottle, and spread it on you lips for some time (you will see a warn feeling on it) keep it for 15 or 20 min then wash it, somtimes I keep it longer.

(First try in little space, so if it is not sutible for your skin you stop it)

Hope my FIRST post here will be a bit helpfull,,,

Salam dears,

:patches:

Love

I was just out of town and realized I really needed to exfoliate, but I hadn't brought anything with me. Luckily, the place we stayed had free breakfast, so I grabbed a couple packets of honey and a couple packets of white sugar. While in the shower, I got my face wet, then combined some of the honey with some of the sugar, massaged it on gently (sensitive skin), let it sit for about a minute, and then rinsed it off. My skin definitely felt smoother and softer. My BF even let me use it on him and he had the same result. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If I'd been able to access this site, I probably could've had better results (leaving on longer, other tips...). Thanks everyone for posting such cool recipies! I can't wait to start trying them.

wooow seems really cool,,i'll try that noooooooow lol,,thanks alot,,i'll tell you after i finish

my favorite mask of all time is the aspirin mask mixed with the mint julep mask

i highly recommend it

it works wonders

Thanks for the recipes. I would try them for sure. Love natural cosmeics.

the other night i used this

2 teaspoons of milk

2 tablespoons of honey

mix until dissolved. put all over face and throat . leave on for 10 mins rinse off with warm water

i did it and it was actually really nice, my face lookded really nice , felt really smooth, however my skin is very dry right now so i put some cocca butter on my face afterwards and it was all good!

To loosen blackheads : Combine equal parts baking soda and water in your hand and rub gently on your skin for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse with warm water.

Homemade face mask for blemished skin: Take a chopped tomato, 1 tbsp of instant oatmeal, 1 tbsp lemon juice. Blend all ingredients just until combined. Apply to skin, making sure the mixture is thick enough to stay on blemished areas. Add a bit more oatmeal to thicken the mask. Leave on 10 mins. Wash with warm water.

BANANA MASH. Mash up a very ripe banana. Add just enough honey to make a soft pulp. Apply over face and hair. This is such a great firming mask that aging movie stars have been known to put it in the cups of their bras to make their breasts "perky."

Oily Skin

strawberries have great astringent properties and will help cleanse oily skin without irritation. Blend together the following ingredients:

1/2 tsp lemon juice

1 egg white

1 tsp honey

1/2 cup strawberries

leave the mask on cleansed skin for 10 mins and rinse off.

Dry Skin

Honey and avocados are rich in moisturing properties. For the perfect skin food mash together the following ingredients:

1/2 avocado

1/4 cup of honey

apply to your face and leave for five minutes before removing with a flannel and some tepid water.

Combination Skin

A rose-based mask is an excellent balancing treatment for combination skin. Use the folling ingredients:

1 rose

1 tbsp rosewater

1 tbsp natural yoghurt

1 tbsp honey

Wash the rose petals in water. soal for a few minutes and then crush them in a bowl. add the rosewater, yoghurt and honey. Mix well and apply to the skin for five minutes. rinse off with tepid/ warm water.

Sensitive Skin

This soothing mask helps reduce irritation. it's also great on sun-damaged skin. Use the following ingredients:

1 cup natural yoghurt

1/2 cup oatmeal

Blend the yoghurt and oatmeal together. Mix well and apply to skin for 10 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.

(SOURCE : extracted from "Complete Beauty Book", Helen Foster)

Back